Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

I think he could have caught the first attempt before the goal.
Same. He went for a punch which didnt even clear the box or go that far? He could have caught it but instead punched it with his right hand. And then I thought he should be coming out and catching the ball, clearing everything given the position the cross landed (and it wasnt whipped in with pace).

Oldyella

A braver keeper comes off his line and punches that ball away before we concede

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Same. He went for a punch which didnt even clear the box or go that far? He could have caught it but instead punched it with his right hand. And then I thought he should be coming out and catching the ball, clearing everything given the position the cross landed (and it wasnt whipped in with pace).
He's not the same anymore.

Sylar

BTW, for the same reasons we got rid of Smalling, we need to get rid of DDG.

Right? That would be the logic. He cant play out the back, hes not really good with his feet anymore, and he cant command the box / come for crosses like you would expect a keeper to be able to.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He was always quite trash at dealing with crosses of any sort to be honest.
Not really, after his second season and during LVGs reign, he was great at dealing with them. As if he'd finally gotten that sorted out, and was even making progress on one on ones. Now he's just regressed.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Going by our board, he will sign that wealthy contract and we will try to offload him in an year.

FromTheBench

Won't mind selling him at this point.

He's not a great keeper overall. Shot stopper yeah.

tob

I’d be very surprised if he signed a new contract before he can see what other clubs will offer him. Just like Herrera and Mata did.

My guess is that this has been his plan for a very long time and that talks aren’t really ongoing. He has a contract offer but why sign it before he can see what other clubs would pay him?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I thought he cost us in the Wolves match as well. The period leading up to their goal, he had a chance or two to come out for the ball but was just stood on his line. If he'd been proactive there, it would have eased the pressure and prevented that chance.

We've supposedly improved the defence and still he doesn't look better. He makes our defence jittery. I'd put him on the bench asap and take the contract offer off the table.

Bestietom

He should have come out to meet Ayew also. Make the goal smaller, instead of staying on his line and making it easier to score.

Levenstein

Sad to say, but it's time to let him go. Can't pass and also our whole backline starts to shake. We should hold the ball as much as we can, not give it back after every goal kick. Also below average when dealing with crosses. He isn't short and have dealt better with them in the past. So I think it's confidence issue.

I think Romero should get the chance and it could me pretty good refresh for the whole play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Based Adnan

Should have caught the header yesterday or come off his line for the cross after
Vs Palace if he was a modern keeper he has a good starting position and once the ball is headed on, he sweeps up. Imo Lloris, Ederson and Allison all do this.

Frans Hoek was trying to make De Gea into a more proactive goalkeeper and he promptly fell out with him and threatened to leave if LVG wasn't sacked. We are daft beyond belief if we commit to a declining old school goalkeeper for 5 years on 350k a week. It would be like we have learnt absolutely nothing.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He can leave for free next summer. Henderson comes back. Sorted.

No way would I give him 350k a week right now. He's miles away from his best form.

LJJT

His footwork and kicking used to be one of his strong points. But a bit like with Smalling, the games moved on a bit, kicking it long isn’t really in vogue any more. His shot stopping isn’t what it was. He’s either in decline or needs a fresh challenge so I’m resigned to the fact if he wants to move on.

Stretfordender

De-Gea is a keeper in decline no doubts about that. Doesn’t come for crosses, doesn’t command his box and foot work isn’t anywhere near what we see the modern keepers being able to do. No cash in on him before he’s sold on a free or a soft sell on price.

dev1l

No way would I give him 350k a week right now. He's miles away from his best form.
Not sure if Henderson is ready yet.

He still makes a lot of mistakes.

I hope he improves by end of the season

Mailo

BTW, for the same reasons we got rid of Smalling, we need to get rid of DDG.

Right? That would be the logic. He cant play out the back, hes not really good with his feet anymore, and he cant command the box / come for crosses like you would expect a keeper to be able to.
Very good analogy, actually.

0le

It is a huge gamble to rely on Henderson. You can get away with playing kids in more attacking positions because their mistakes are not as costly. If a goalkeeper makes a mistake, it usually ends up as a goal for the opposition. Romero is not good enough, but is probably still a better option than Henderson.

dev1l

As for consistency, Van der Sar was the top.
Schmeichel biggest asset were not his world class saves (because he would also commit that odd blooper) but his presence. He was a real leader.

DeGea is different from both. Looks less vocal,at times perhaps too laid back.
He s capable of making saves, no other keeper can make but lately he made lot of mistakes.
Moreover he s not very good on.crosses.

Champagne Football

Seems like his ultimate goal now is to leave on a free to try and get an Aaron Ramsey/Alexis Sanchez style contract elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Jorge Mendes is recommending this is what he should do.

There was talk of selling him over the summer. Then suddenly he decided he was definitely gonna stay and sign an extension. You'd wonder if he played the club a little, pretending that he'll extend, only to drag it all out again in the possible hope of getting to next summer as a free agent, and signing a whopper mega £500,000 per week deal at Juventus or PSG.

Juventus probably have already promised him the contract if he becomes a free agent. Which could suggest why his heart and focus just isn't 100% anymore at Utd. That would be my suspicion.

dev1l

Seems like his ultimate goal now is to leave on a free to try and get an Aaron Ramsey/Alexis Sanchez style contract elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Jorge Mendes is recommending this is what he should do.

There was talk of selling him over the summer. Then suddenly he decided he was definitely gonna stay and sign an extension. You'd wonder if he played the club a little, pretending that he'll extend, only to drag it all out again in the possible hope of getting to next summer as a free agent, and signing a whopper mega £500,000 per week deal at Juventus or PSG.

Juventus probably have already promised him the contract if he becomes a free agent. Which could suggest why his heart and focus just isn't 100% anymore at Utd. That would be my suspicion.
If he leaves on a free, you can see Juve and perhaps Real.
Anyway , if he continues to insist to leave on a free and on current form,we should leave him to rot on the bench.

Giggsyking

He will join his friend in Paris and I cant wait to see his back out of the club. "Best keeper" in the world and after 8 years in the EPL still cant get out to claim a cross.

ash_86

I don't think his mind is with us. Either sell him or don't play him until he signs a contract.

BeltUp

Supports
United
I'd like to see him dropped for Romero until Serg makes a mistake, then I'd like to see De Gea back between the sticks.

Seriously though, I'd like to see him dropped.

Irwin99

I hope he stays but his form is nowhere near what it was a few years back. Also, If we're really committed to having a defence and a keeper that are good on the ball then we could perhaps do with an upgrade. Losing him wouldn't be the end of the world like it would have been a few years back.

the chameleon

It might be time to start looking for other options.

He seems like an unfortunate lad. He was arguably the best keeper in the world for 3 years. He nearly had the career momentum of moving to Real Madrid and winning 3 European cups. But a some error ruined his transfer.

He came back the next year and played top of his game and did so for 2 more years. Then it suddenly went downhill, courtois signed for Madrid.

The other top clubs had the keeper vacancies filled. We regressed in 2018. Things were getting worse, keepers that can kick were the new thing. Allison overtook him as the best keeper in England.

He’s now stuck with us. He initially stayed because we would improve or waiting to go real, but all those dreams have been wrecked.

Plus, he’s not as highly rated in spain.

It must be soul destroying for the lad.

Hopefully he can mentally recover. But, it’ll be tough to get back up. He’s already achieved what he’s going to achieve here. But he’s stuck with us, no one wants him. He can’t demand the money he wants.

Of course his heads not in it.

Also, he more of an instinctive type of keeper that relies on exceptional reflexes. Those are the first that start to wane as you approach 30. Still a legend.

We should be grateful we had such a keeper.

Dan_F

It’s so strange that there was such strong rumours about him agreeing a new deal, then nothing. It does seem pretty mental to offer him £350k a week right now, but I’m not sure what else we can do. I really struggle to believe it’s his reactions that have gone. It’s far more likely to be a lack of confidence. He’s making howlers that aren’t due to reaction speed.

Options...

Sign the contract and risk him being dreadful on a 6 year contact at £350k per week.

Take away the contract offer and be left with him playing shit/Romero for the rest of the season.

Shell out 100 million for Oblak (not happening)

Or trust Henderson. Who made a mistake, which was arguably as bad as anything De Gea has done, one week ago.

Giggsyking

It might be time to start looking for other options.

He seems like an unfortunate lad. He was arguably the best keeper in the world for 3 years. He nearly had the career momentum of moving to Real Madrid and winning 3 European cups. But a some error ruined his transfer.

He came back the next year and played top of his game and did so for 2 more years. Then it suddenly went downhill, courtois signed for Madrid.

The other top clubs had the keeper vacancies filled. We regressed in 2018. Things were getting worse, keepers that can kick were the new thing. Allison overtook him as the best keeper in England.

He’s now stuck with us. He initially stayed because we would improve or waiting to go real, but all those dreams have been wrecked.

Plus, he’s not as highly rated in spain.

It must be soul destroying for the lad.

Hopefully he can mentally recover. But, it’ll be tough to get back up. He’s already achieved what he’s going to achieve here. But he’s stuck with us, no one wants him. He can’t demand the money he wants.

Of course his heads not in it.

Also, he more of an instinctive type of keeper that relies on exceptional reflexes. Those are the first that start to wane as you approach 30. Still a legend.

We should be grateful we had such a keeper.
yeah it must be soul destroying being one of the highest paid goalkeepers in the world.

Giggsyking

I blame him for most of the goals we concede in set pieces or crosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.