Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Birthday boy today.
Still remember that mental save against Mata at Stamford Bridge.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Has to be coming off the line to claim the corner for Brighton goal. Far too passive.
Exactly...in swinging cross inside the 6 yard box. He is a great shot stopper but still struggles at the basics of the game. And teams will continue to focus on that area of his game to take advantage of it. That should have been a routine punch for him and a clean sheet...

UnitedChampionsAgain

Romero would have dealt with that cross no bother. We can't score from a corner but Christ we know how to concede.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
10 years later and he is even worse dealing with crosses in his area. Incredible weakness for him, no doubt we conceeded so many goals after crosses and set pieces over the years.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
10 years later and he is even worse dealing with crosses in his area. Incredible weakness for him, no doubt we conceeded so many goals after crosses and set pieces over the years.
This has been costing us many goals and points since the day he signed but you're wasting your time trying to point it out without people thinking you're on the wind up or have a personal vendetta against the lad.

We could have Van Djik and Koulibaly at center-back and, in my opinion, they'd still struggle with someone so reluctant to come off his line.

Im genuinely baffled how, in a world where Premier league football is analysed to death, that this is not flagged up more.

Oldyella

This has been costing us many goals and points since the day he signed but you're wasting your time trying to point it out without people thinking you're on the wind up or have a personal vendetta against the lad.

We could have Van Djik and Koulibaly at center-back and, in my opinion, they'd still struggle with someone so reluctant to come off his line.

Im genuinely baffled how, in a world where Premier league football is analysed to death, that this is not flagged up more.
It was flagged when he first came to the PL, and it was seen as a reason he would fail and be shipped out by he seemed to get over it and so it stopped being talked about. But the last 2 or 3 years he seems to have got worse and worse. He genuinely looks scared to leave his line now but it won't come up again as it was done to death and he got over it and made people look stupid, never mind he looks worse now than when he came to us.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I know this will piss of a lot of people, but maybe its time to move him on? Hes not been his usual self since the WC and last season he was downright poor for large periods.

Dean Henderson who we have on loan at Sheffield is looking like a superb keeper and it might not be dumb to sell De Gea while his stock is still high

Paul_Scholes18

I know this will piss of a lot of people, but maybe its time to move him on? Hes not been his usual self since the WC and last season he was downright poor for large periods.

Dean Henderson who we have on loan at Sheffield is looking like a superb keeper and it might not be dumb to sell De Gea while his stock is still high
I think it can be time to let him go. Last season he played horribly. This season he has been better, but still far from great.

saivet

Just me that thinks he should have done better on their third goal?

He did have a limited view of it but I guess I just hold him to such a high standard.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

He did have a limited view of it but I guess I just hold him to such a high standard.
If a striker has a header from 6 yards, he's going to have enough power to bury that. Our defenders should be winning that header.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Agreed, he should have done better in my view. Played well overall and kept us in it in the first half, but could have kept that last one out.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

He did well to get as much of a hand on it as he did. Incredible reactions, considering the range and the deflection it took.

He had an excellent game.

Red_Aaron

I felt the same, he got a big hand on it

Am I the only one he thinks he should've done better with the second? The shot was a long way out and it weren't exactly hammered in, there are keepers that would get to that for me.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His past heroics seem to have set impossible standards for him to meet.

2nd goal was an excellent finish, right into the corner and right along the ground. Just the right amount of curve on it to take it beyond reach.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He was by far our best player in the first half, pulled off 2 miracles early on, the 2nd goal was impossible, and the 3rd, if saved, would have also gone down in the miracle column. Point blank, full power and just far enough away from him.

mu4c_20le

Third goal had a deflection. He did well to get a palm on it, had he saved that then he truly would've been De God.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he should have saved the 3rd, but he did make a few saves that he probably had no right making.

His best days are behind him, but we got a glimpse of his best today.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No way he was saving any of them. The first one was lucky, second was an excellent strike and the third is scruffy and deflects slightly off Maguire. In my view he done well to get anything on that. He was brilliant today and he couldn’t have done anything more honestly.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
It was flagged when he first came to the PL, and it was seen as a reason he would fail and be shipped out by he seemed to get over it and so it stopped being talked about. But the last 2 or 3 years he seems to have got worse and worse. He genuinely looks scared to leave his line now but it won't come up again as it was done to death and he got over it and made people look stupid, never mind he looks worse now than when he came to us.
I think it was flagged up more then because the rest of our team was top class back then, so this weakness in the team stood out more.

Now, of course, we have so many other problem areas on the pitch that it doesn't stand out as much.

However, in my opinion, this doesn't change the fact that this is still a massive flaw in our defensive line and I don't think it matters how much we spend on outfield defenders, our defence will still struggle until it changes (as this season is proving).

Bestietom

Should have saved 3rd goal. But Maguire should have put his body in front and not allow shot in first place.

Stadjer

Third goal had a deflection. He did well to get a palm on it, had he saved that then he truly would've been De God.
somehow that seems to be the least people expect of him... De God performances. He is blamed for the second and third goal yet i doubt any keeper in the world would have saved any of those. He pulled of so many wonder saves in the past that when he isnt doing impossible things he is blamed for conceding goals.

Based Adnan

Based Adnan

That offside goal for Villa summed him up. It's there for him to claim, he begins to come for it and then hesitates as he'll be outside of his comfort zone. Stays on his line and Villa get a very good chance from it that was inches away from being a goal.

Not assertive enough, far too passive.

Poor today. I think he misjudged Grealishs goal, he could have got close to it.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Poor today. I think he misjudged Grealishs goal, he could have got close to it.

This has been happening for ten years, it's infuriating, especially when accompanied by the obligitory "De Gea just watches it go past him' comment from the commentator, as if it's normal to do that.

Fair enough, he may not have got it, as it was a great strike, but at least try (it's what you're paid to do David).

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Looks like Bowie's Thin White Duke, gaunt and emo like.

I had nothing more to say..

Status
Not open for further replies.