Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedChampionsAgain

A couple of times lately Maguire looks to have held back expecting DeGea to come off his line, with disastrous results. It's not that difficult. Romero could give him some pointers..

UncleBob

Im pretty sure it's common knowledge amongst anyone with even a passing interest in football that Mourinhio is a defensive manager so I don't really get what's so mad about what I said.
Mad ? :lol:

Look, no offense whatsoever but your average post quality is bad at best, to the point that it's easy to recognize something you've written before reading the username. Which honestly says a lot on this forum....

I gave you a pretty decent hint and opportunity to backtrack your statement by writing that your claim is contradicted by all the stats, but instead you follow up by pointing out that it's common knowledge that Mourinho is a defensive manager, brilliant.

Goals against (GA) was 28 the season you're referring to. Expected goals against was however at a massive 43,5, meaning we let in almost 16 goals less than the amount of chances against us suggested. This is just scraping the surface of the stats, but even the biggest halfwit would notice that letting in almost 16 goals less than expected indicates that maybe our defense wasn't all that good...Teams fecking averaged 11,5 shots against us, Burnley at 7th is the first team with fewer averaged shots against. Shot zones, we had more shots against us from inside the box (229) than from outside the box (172), we had 20 shots against us from inside the 5 yard line. A total expected goals against us which was 43,54. Roughly twice as many (shots against from inside the box, outside, inside 5 yard line, and expected goals) as Manchester City.

Almost double as many shots on target against us per match than City had, 1,5 as many as Liverpool...You need to go down to Burnley on 7th place to find a team with more shots against them per match, and Arsenal on 6th for a team with more shots against them on target.

But hey, we were managed by Mourinho that season and he's defensive so we were mint at the back that season :lol: :lol: :lol: :houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:

The amount of quality, and close to mental, saves that De Gea made that season is the only reason we finished 2nd.
It's utterly bizarre, close to frightening, how thick some users are.....My only hope is that they are old as feck

He'sRaldo

Look, no offense whatsoever but your average post quality is bad at best, to the point that it's easy to recognize something you've written before reading the username. Which honestly says a lot on this forum....

I gave you a pretty decent hint and opportunity to backtrack your statement by writing that your claim is contradicted by all the stats, but instead you follow up by pointing out that it's common knowledge that Mourinho is a defensive manager, brilliant.

Goals against (GA) was 28 the season you're referring to. Expected goals against was however at a massive 43,5, meaning we let in almost 16 goals less than the amount of chances against us suggested. This is just scraping the surface of the stats, but even the biggest halfwit would notice that letting in almost 16 goals less than expected indicates that maybe our defense wasn't all that good...Teams fecking averaged 11,5 shots against us, Burnley at 7th is the first team with fewer averaged shots against. Shot zones, we had more shots against us from inside the box (229) than from outside the box (172), we had 20 shots against us from inside the 5 yard line. A total expected goals against us which was 43,54. Roughly twice as many (shots against from inside the box, outside, inside 5 yard line, and expected goals) as Manchester City.

Almost double as many shots on target against us per match than City had, 1,5 as many as Liverpool...You need to go down to Burnley on 7th place to find a team with more shots against them per match, and Arsenal on 6th for a team with more shots against them on target.

The amount of quality, and close to mental, saves that De Gea made that season is the only reason we finished 2nd.
It's utterly bizarre, close to frightening, how thick some users are.....My only hope is that they are old as feck
Those shots were at least partly due to how deep we defended under Mourinho. If we're to get a more expansive manager we probably won't defend as deep and concede as many shots, and de Gea won't have to show off his shot-stopping as much; however, it'll mean de Gea's other weaknesses will be exposed with the more expansive style.

The question is, will he still be as valuable and as highly rated if that happens?

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Those shots were at least partly due to how deep we defended under Mourinho. If we're to get a more expansive manager we probably won't defend as deep and concede as many shots, and de Gea won't have to show off his shot-stopping as much; however, it'll mean de Gea's other weaknesses will be exposed with the more expansive style.

The question is, will he still be as valuable and as highly rated if that happens?
Thank you, that's the point I'm trying to make but some people are so invested in hanging on to their delusional belief that De Gea is our saviour that it's blinding them to the blatantly obvious.

Paul_Scholes18

He has been poor for Spain so far. Although they are not super expansive, but more than us right now.

UncleBob

:lol: No.

They were due to us being absolutely rubbish at defending.

Defending deep is in no way associated with an abundance of shots from inside the box, we weren't standing at the fecking goalline. The entire fecking point of defending deep and compact is to prevent the opposition from getting shots away

Jesus christ.

He'sRaldo

Defending deep is in no way associated with an abundance of shots from inside the box, we weren't standing at the fecking goalline.
Not fully one or the other. Like I said it was partly deep defending, and also partly poor defending.

Either way it's not really the point. The main point is, if we are to incorporate a more expansive style (as we should), will de Gea's shot-stopping be as valuable to us as when we play a deep line, especially when paired with his other deficiencies?

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Defending deep is in no way associated with an abundance of shots from inside the box, we weren't standing at the fecking goalline. The entire fecking point of defending deep and compact is to prevent the opposition from getting shots away

Jesus christ.
We defended pretty well that season at least for spells. Although it was mainly during the first part of the season. Then Bailly and Jones got injured and we turned into a mess during the second half.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

But hey, we were managed by Mourinho that season and he's defensive so we were mint at the back that season :lol: :lol: :lol: :houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:

Fair enough, he had a good year that year, what's that got to do with now?
I could easily point to his last season at Atletico, his first two with us and, more importantly, his current form, which is embarrassing.

My point is, I'm trying to discuss how we are going to get out of the current mess we're in, so how is banging on about a good season a player had a few years back going to help?

As for the quality of my posts, if you don't rate them then I actually take that as a compliment because you're clearly deluded if you can't see how much of an issue this is for our defence.

The reason I've been so obsessive about De Gea's weaknesses is because they haven't improved in ten years, yet we're firing more money at him as if he's some sort of hero, it's laughable.

The minute he stops making the same errors over and over again is the minute I'll stop taking about it.
Also, it's subjective, fair enough but surely its hard to criticise someone as much if they've been proved right? No?
Unless you're going to try and argue that giving him that new contract was some sort of shrewd investment.

There was a whole army of people on here last year banging on about how his embarrassing form was down to the contract situation playing on his mind, and once that was sorted he'll be back to his best (which, by the way was the most absurd theory I've ever heard of).

Well, he's got his big new contract now and it's made no difference, so well done to all those fans who thought that was a good idea (I'm guessing you were one of them).

UncleBob

We defended pretty well that season at least for spells. Although it was mainly during the first part of the season. Then Bailly and Jones got injured and we turned into a mess during the second half.
No, we were more or less a mess all season.

UncleBob

Not fully one or the other. Like I said it was partly deep defending, and also partly poor defending.

Either way it's not really the point. The main point is, if we are to incorporate a more expansive style (as we should), will de Gea's shot-stopping be as valuable to us as when we play a deep line, especially when paired with his other deficiencies?
I'm bemused by the fact that some seem to think that deep defending results in more shots from inside the box than outside.
Idiotic would be another word.

He'sRaldo

I'm bemused by the fact that some seem to think that deep defending results in more shots from inside the box than outside.
Idiotic would be another word.
You can quote the whole thesaurus if you like, you still haven't addressed the main point. Moving forward with a more expansive style, will his shot-stopping be enough to cover his other deficiencies?

UncleBob

Fair enough, he had a good year that year, what's that got to do with now?
I could easily point to his last season at Atletico, his first two with us and, more importantly, his current form, which is embarrassing.

My point is, I'm trying to discuss how we are going to get out of the current mess we're in, so how is banging on about a good season a player had a few years back going to help?

As for the quality of my posts, if you don't rate them then I actually take that as a compliment because you're clearly deluded if you can't see how much of an issue this is for our defence.

The reason I've been so obsessive about De Gea's weaknesses is because they haven't improved in ten years, yet we're firing more money at him as if he's some sort of hero, it's laughable.

The minute he stops making the same errors over and over again is the minute I'll stop taking about it.
Also, it's subjective, fair enough but surely its hard to criticise someone as much if they've been proved right? No?
Unless you're going to try and argue that giving him that new contract was some sort of shrewd investment.

There was a whole army of people on here last year banging on about how his embarrassing form was down to the contract situation playing on his mind, and once that was sorted he'll be back to his best (which, by the way was the most absurd theory I've ever heard of).

Well, he's got his big new contract now and it's made no difference, so well done to all those fans who thought that was a good idea (I'm guessing you were one of them).
That you're an absolute clown and there's no reason whatsoever to take anything you write seriously ?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Countdown until you bring up the Tottenham game from last season........... 3-2-1....

Fair enough, was an outstanding performance but if you're basing so much of you're argument on 3 points then why ignore the dozens of points he's cost us since that game?
I was particularly talking about that season where he did that consistently. You can't take that away from him.

Yes he has had a drop in form but immediately replacing a player playing in a position of relatively least concern is mind boggling

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Jesus christ.
Again, we're trying to get you to look at our current predicament because that's what really matters but you obviously don't want too because it might mean you having to admit that you're wrong.

UncleBob

You can quote the whole thesaurus if you like, you still haven't addressed the main point. Moving forward with a more expansive style, will his shot-stopping be enough to cover his other deficiencies?
I am addressing the main point, mainly that there's no point whatsoever in taking any of you seriously and as such there's no point in debating it with you either. Just like i'm not going to ask the local junkies what their take on the latest IMO regulations are.

He'sRaldo

I am addressing the main point, mainly that there's no point whatsoever in taking any of you seriously and as such there's no point in debating it with you either. Just like i'm not going to ask the local junkies what their take on the latest IMO regulations are.
And yet here you are.

Paul_Scholes18

No, we were more or less a mess all season.
Totally disagree. We played really well up to the Liverpool and Huddersfield games. We scored a lot and barely conceded many chances.
Lindelöf had a nightmare against Huddersfield which was our first defeat that season. Then Jones got injured and Bailly too and things started getting messy.

The City defeat destroyed the title hopes and Mourinho started getting moody with everything. After that we could not find any consistency at all.

UncleBob

Totally disagree. We played really well up to the Liverpool and Huddersfield games. We scored a lot and barely conceded many chances.
Lindelöf had a nightmare against Huddersfield which was our first defeat that season. Then Jones got injured and Bailly too and things started getting messy.

The City defeat destroyed the title hopes and Mourinho started getting moody with everything. After that we could not find any consistency at all.
intriguing stuff

Dante

Average bang
He used to be worth an extra 12 points per season over the average PL goalkeeper.

But the last two seasons, I reckon he's actually cost us more points than he's earned as an individual.

When was the last save he made that another 10 of his counterparts in the league couldn't have replicated? I could certainly point to several goals where most would have done better.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I love De Gea but Christ, the last year has been a nightmare. It's like the last world cup broke him.

These mistakes have nothing to do with the type of GK he is, or reflexes slowing, or any of that normal shit. His head has just been microwaved by something.

Best chance we have of fixing him is dropping him for Romero and giving him space to figure out whatever has feceked him up. Keeping him in the spotlight won't help.

Ace of Spades

Needs to be benched, and long term I would seriously be looking at Henderson and his performances for Sheffield. Such a pathetic performance today.

Based Adnan

Really happy we planned for the future by paying our declining goalkeeper who refuses to come off his line £375K a week for 5 years. Has cost us so many goals this season already, some more obvious than others.

No-one will take him off our hands with the wages he's on either. We're stuck with him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'll be honest I was never convinced he'd got over those huge errors last season, he's basically saved nothing this season and now 2 games on the spin his errors have again cost us points

Hopefully a case of get 2019 out of the way and things will change but I doubt it, it's more likely a Casillas/Reina style decline - maybe it's a Spanish keeper thing?

Big contract or not Henderson is looking a better bet next season now and I'm not entirely sure about him either

Telegram Sam

Time to be dropped. Give Romero a chance to play over the xmas period and see how he gets on.

All the points De Gea had won for us over the years, are slowly being evened out. Also has a few glaring limitations like not being dominat enough in the 6-yard box, or looking remotely close to saving any penalties.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That was a joke. If a Sunday league keeper did that against me I'd piss myself. With the one game plan we have we seriously can't afford more of this shite from our keeper.

Bojan11

Fergie would have binned him after the Xhaka mistake. When he made like his fourth mistake in a month. Then he proceeds to feck up vs Chelsea after that.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Really happy we planned for the future by paying our declining goalkeeper who refuses to come off his line £375K a week for 5 years. Has cost us so many goals this season already, some more obvious than others.

No-one will take him off our hands with the wages he's on either. We're stuck with him.
No, it's fine. He used to be great, so the contract made total sense. Just a wobble. Nothing to see here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'll be honest I was never convinced he'd got over those huge errors last season, he's basically saved nothing this season and now 2 games on the spin his errors have again cost us points

Hopefully a case of get 2019 out of the way and things will change but I doubt it, it's more likely a Casillas/Reina style decline - maybe it's a Spanish keeper thing?

Big contract or not Henderson is looking a better bet next season now and I'm not entirely sure about him either
He's only 29 though. What age were they when their form went? Plus I get how increasing age could impact reflexes but these are errors of concentration.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Too many errors now, needs to be dropped.
Yesterday Henderson kept a clean sheet and set up the winner for Sheff Utd, I’d bring him back in the summer.

waza7111

He's been playing on reputation for over a year now. Romero is probably better than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.