Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

I also think it has to do with the defenders he plays with. Maguire and Lindelof are piss weak. Lindelof in particular is dreck. De Gea called more than once for a ball but Lindelof never listened. Lindelof can't jump. No aggression. Then you've got Maguire who leaves the biggest meanest opposition player unmarked and takes three touches in his own box like an oaf and turns like an oil tanker to pass it back to the keeper.

The save he made from Henderson was unreal. Pity no one will remember it a decade from now. The one from Mane was excellent too. Most keepers would have gone with their hands.
Yeah because Maguire decided not to mark Van Dijk :houllier: Maguire's job is to be in the 5 yard box and head the ball away. Maybe it was better if he marked Van Dijk, but Ole is clearly not interested in that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
at the end, when he wanted to come up and was sent back by the bench, and then liverpool scored on the counter anyway, that was certainly something

Stadjer

The commentator was talking about how he asked to go forward during the corner but wasnt allowed to go forward? Why wasnt he allowed... 10/10 hindsight but clearly the wrong decision. What does it matter if you lose 1-0 or 2-0? I rather have the 0.1% extra chance of scoring in the last minute than keeping it at 1-0 but still losing.

izec

The commentator was talking about how he asked to go forward during the corner but wasnt allowed to go forward? Why wasnt he allowed... 10/10 hindsight but clearly the wrong decision. What does it matter if you lose 1-0 or 2-0? I rather have the 0.1% extra chance of scoring in the last minute than keeping it at 1-0 but still losing.
Maybe we were interested in the goal difference for the 4th spot

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was beaten too easily by Salah.

His yellow should also be rescinded in my opinion.

Sylar

HIs yellow was a joke. But it was good to see him get aggressive towards the ref. I do wish he was that aggressive going for the ball. Keepers always get protection so he needs to be putting himself in the way to ensure its obvious. It was a bit sad however that he also has the reach advantage and just about beat a jumping VVD for the ball.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Interesting to note that virtually no one on any of the usual podcasts believes he was fouled by Van Dijk. I confess I didn't think he was either though in that moment it was different.
Maybe back in the 90's but not any more.

If a keeper goes up for the ball with 2 hands and is jumped into - it's automatically a foul. We've seen many examples of it, especially in Europe. For some reason the English referees make the rules up as they go.

nyanza

I'm amazed. It was a blatant fecking foul. If that's up the other end on Alisson no one would even be debating the fact it's a foul.
Yeah, if that thing is not a foul, players will just start launching themselves into the keepers on every cross into the box to keep them away from the ball even if they have no chance to play with it.

Paul_Scholes18

Can't really blame him today, but our set pieces are so poor with him.
We concede from them all the time.

With Romero though I can't remember us conceding many goals from them (well almost no goals at all with Romero this season).

Romero does deserve to play more, but if De Gea do not get dropped after his big errors in the past then he will not get dropped now.

Based Adnan

I get the feeling he is a bag of nerves with set pieces and that translates over to the defence

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
De Gea is definitely out of form or past his best. Maybe his eyes already in Spain. The most important of keeper is concentration, seem like he is lacking now

norm87cro

Finally Ddgs thread. The second was his fault and he seems to be distracted. Given our situation I don't blame him that much. Maybe a chance for Romero to get a run of games as well. We are a professional football club not a charity case.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
What happened to him? It feels like he's conceeding goals at the near post at a higher rate than he should be. Admittedly I don't watch a lot of your matches, but everytime I see a clip of DDG letting a goal through a fair number seem to be at the near post.

GazTheLegend

Lets goals in like a sieve. Shouldn’t have been beaten on their second even if it was a great hit and a fantastic goal in a lot of ways.

Got his angles wrong and never looks like he’s going to make a save anymore. Feel so much safer with Romero between the sticks.

Henderson will 100% take the number one jersey next season - statistically he is twice the keeper that de Gea is at this point, and is a natural leader to boot . De Gea needs coaching back because we all know how good he can be.

El Zoido

Lets goals in like a sieve. Shouldn’t have been beaten on their second even if it was a great hit and a fantastic goal in a lot of ways.

Got his angles wrong and never looks like he’s going to make a save anymore. Feel so much safer with Romero between the sticks.

Henderson will 100% take the number one jersey next season - statistically he is twice the keeper that de Gea is at this point, and is a natural leader to boot . De Gea needs coaching back because we all know how good he can be.
His all-round game has never been great. His big attribute is his ability to make crazy reflect saves, but every other aspect of his game is average to poor and always has been. He’s not even making those incredible saves anymore, so we’re just left with a mediocre goalkeeper.

Mike Smalling

His all-round game has never been great. His big attribute is his ability to make crazy reflect saves, but every other aspect of his game is average to poor and always has been. He’s not even making those incredible saves anymore, so we’re just left with a mediocre goalkeeper.
Not quite fair, as two of his saves against Liverpool were pretty good (foot save vs. Mane and tipping Horrenderson's shot onto the post). Agree with the rest though. His distribution in particular was shocking yesterday, and could have cost us goals if we were playing a better side.

RedRJ

I feel like I’ve reached the stage with DDG that I’m mildly surprised when he makes a save these days. He’s not even close to being the best keeper in the PL let alone the world. I’d sell him if we could get anything approaching a decent offer for him.

dogwithabone

Any keeper beaten at near post will be questioned. It went like a bullet but the very best should be batting that away.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't think De Gea is finished by any stretch, but he is perhaps a little complacent. Bringing Henderson back for next season and letting them both fight for the starting position could be good for both of them. Probably no reason to rule out Romero either, though I'd like for it to be Henderson given his age and he's an academy product, he could set us up for the next 8 to 10 years. On current form he should be England #1 too.

I'd also like to be wrong about De Gea, and whilst I don't think he's finished, his career seems to going in a Casillas-like direction. Neither were ever the complete goalkeeper but made up for that by being excellent stoppers, and that is on the wane a little bit.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
De Gea is definitely out of form or past his best. Maybe his eyes already in Spain. The most important of keeper is concentration, seem like he is lacking now
Not this again, this hideous excuse that people were banding about last year is now totally irrelevant because he has signed a new contract.

Also, if you think the likes of Real Madrid are still interested in De Gea, especially given the wages we're now paying him then you're living in a dreamland, we're stuck with him.

There were plenty of us on here who seen this coming a mile off but we were all told that we hadn't a clue what we were talking about or that we had an agenda, where are all these wise folks now?

Run out of excuses have we?

Ah well, sure it's only £375,000 a week.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I would say the same about the first goal, part of the problem, fact.
First goal was a one time strike from eight yards slightly left of center (when facing the goal). DDG was where he should have been, he had no time to judge or even see the Burnley striker’s run as he was focused on the ball. If he was closer to his right hand post, then he would have been out of position, but in a better location to make the save. He was faultless for the first goal.

Second goal is a different story. He should have been closer to his right post as the Burnley player was in no shape to cross. That was a pretty egregious error. It was a decent shot, but DDG was lazy, physically & mentally.

Full bodied red

I don't think De Gea is finished by any stretch, but he is perhaps a little complacent. Bringing Henderson back for next season and letting them both fight for the starting position could be good for both of them. Probably no reason to rule out Romero either, though I'd like for it to be Henderson given his age and he's an academy product, he could set us up for the next 8 to 10 years. On current form he should be England #1 too.

I'd also like to be wrong about De Gea, and whilst I don't think he's finished, his career seems to going in a Casillas-like direction. Neither were ever the complete goalkeeper but made up for that by being excellent stoppers, and that is on the wane a little bit.

Never realised it, but last week I checked up and he's played for the Argentina NT 91 times.

Nobody plays for their NT 91 times, whichever country, without being pretty damn good.

I say give him a long run and he just might turn out to be better than the 2020's version of DDG.

Thiagoal

I have to say that he looks totally disinterested this season! We were mugs giving him such a crazily big contract- would much rather Romero or Henderson between the sticks

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From what I've seen off Henderson at Sheffield United in the EPL. He is a better all-round keeper than De Gea and it isn't even close right now.

Henderson is comfortably superior at commanding his area and his distribution is better. Henderson also has cojones in abundance compared to the timid one.

billybee99

His distribution was a disgrace. And then Pope makes this great long throw in the 2nd half to start a fast break for Burnley and I'm screaming "why doesn't De Gea ever do that." He always holds onto the ball forever until the opportunity for a counter is completely gone.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
From 2014 to 2018, De Gea was universally considered the best goalkeeper in the league, and the second best in the world behind Neuer.

Honestly, his career has been quite underwhelming compared to his actual talent. He has 1 league title and a couple of Europa League trophies. He has no memorable UCL performance and his international career has been a huge flop.

He has underachieved compared to his abilities. And this might be controversial, but I think that Alisson has overtaken him and will be remembered as the best goalkeeper of his generation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.