Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

Fickle department right now right here... be interesting to see how people feel the next time DDG does a wonder save.

Grass is greener syndrome is strong here. The guy made one mistake for fecks sake.
He had a wonder save during the match :lol:

Looks good for his highlight reel/YT compilation but it doesn't change much if we're dropping points at the same time

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I recall saying he wasn't good enough over a year ago and got slated :lol: De Gea's best attribute (only fecking attribute) is on the wane. Maybe we can convince Inter or someone that he's still got it.
Anyone who brought up his poor performances was accused of having a short memory. As if him having been good 12 months earlier made his shocking form somehow OK. And that form has now rolled on for another 12 months.

Anyone who doesn't think there's a problem with him is delusional.

The Purley King

Tonight was not good enough plain and simple.
Keepers are judged for the most part on obvious errors and he had a major one tonight.
I like him a lot for what he has done in years gone by but is he really the guy we’ll rely on now??

mattsville

DDG feck ups are now a thing whether we like it or not, up to management to make a decision on it, Fergie would have been ruthless with it, like swapping Leighton with Sealey, for all the great things Ole is doing, this is where he will be tested most, as honorable a club as we are, if you want to be successful you have to make hard decisions for the greater good, he has displayed that already in fairness to him with other players, but this is on another level, Fergie would have him out of there no question, DDG is no longer the keeper he was for what ever reason.

SuperiorXI

He had a wonder save during the match :lol:

Looks good for his highlight reel/ YT compilation but it doesn't change much if we're dropping points
When? He made one decent save from Son as far as I recall.

Goalkeepers - they're there to stop the ball from going in the net, they need protection from the defense at the same time. If the defense did its job there would be no issue.
Tonight was not good enough plain and simple.
Keepers are judged for the most part on obvious errors and he had a major one tonight.
I like him a lot for what he has done in years gone by but is he really the guy we’ll rely on now??
Who should we rely on then? Do you think Henderson is incapable of slipping a shot at goal?

SuperiorXI

Irrespective of whether or not Shaw or Maguire were at fault (I disagree with Shaw entirely and only half-blame Maguire), their mistakes don't cost as much as a De Gea blunder does.
Of course they do. If Shaw doesn't head it to a Tottenham player, the attack doesn't start. If Maguire isn't spun to feck, the attack doesn't progress and finally if DDG made a good save, the goal doesn't go in.

There's a series of mistakes, the blame cannot be placed solely on De Gea.

The Purley King

When? He made one decent save from Son as far as I recall.

Goalkeepers - they're there to stop the ball from going in the net, they need protection from the defense at the same time. If the defense did its job there would be no issue.

Who should we rely on then? Do you think Henderson is incapable of slipping a shot at goal?
Henderson is saving that 99 times out of 100.

Mr Smith

Talk of selling him is premature (and probably impossible given that damn contract), but is it worth considering dropping him for a while? We've got a strong back-up in Romero, and maybe he needs a kick up the back.

Not buying into the idea that he's finished. Plenty of top goalkeepers go through bad runs of form, even lasting a whole season.

The Purley King

There have been instances where De Gea has been so exposed a goal seemed certain and he saved it. Can you say the same for Henderson?
You are misunderstanding me.
The goal tonight was a regulation save for any professional goalkeeper from premier league to conference.
De gea let it in.
What more argument is there?
Yes he made a decent save afterwards but it’s not one that Gordon banks will be shitting himself about losing the best ever save trophy

SuperiorXI

You are misunderstanding me.
The goal tonight was a regulation save for any professional goalkeeper from premier league to conference.
De gea let it in.
What more argument is there?
Yes he made a decent save afterwards but it’s not one that Gordon banks will be shitting himself about losing the best ever save trophy
The best goalkeepers can let in regulation saves the same way average keepers can make world class saves, don't you agree?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a one dimensional player and even the one dimension is missing and has been for some time. Henderson can't do any worse. I can forgive his errors if I saw other attributes in him that would be of benefit but there's literally none other than the one he's failing at abysmally for some time now.

Unless he takes a pay cut I can't see him moving to another club anytime soon either.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Of course they do. If Shaw doesn't head it to a Tottenham player, the attack doesn't start. If Maguire isn't spun to feck, the attack doesn't progress and finally if DDG made a good save, the goal doesn't go in.

There's a series of mistakes, the blame cannot be placed solely on De Gea.
You can chain it all the way back to the manager and the board. :lol:

In the end, that goal was conceded because our keeper messed up a normal save, couldn't handle the pace and spilled it into his own net. It's not as if the alleged mistakes from earlier left him with no chance of saving that attempt, in which case you could wonder who's really at fault. 9 times out of 10 a top four club's keeper saves it.

I don't know why you're absolving him of blame by proportioning it to the rest of the defence.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The best goalkeepers can let in regulation saves the same way average keepers can make world class saves, don't you agree?
The best goalkeepers don't fail to make regulation saves 5 - 10 times a season for the best part of 2 seasons. Not unless they've stopped being top keepers.

Why is it so hard to just admit that his long-term form isn't anywhere near good enough? Everyone can see it. It's right there week in week out.

The Purley King

No I don’t agree.
The very best goalkeepers you’d do well to find more than 3 or 4 such instances in a 15 year career.
De gea is having these 3 or 4 times a season.
That shot tonight was piss easy to save. Was not even one where you might think “well it was in the corner but he should have done better”
It’s a regulation fecking save. Man Utd keepers should not let those in.

Martialfc

He’s so frustrating. How can you make unbelievable saves and then mess up the easy ones. There’s been games when I’m certain he’s the best in the world then others he looks link Mingolet.

Djemba-Djemba

Starting from Arsenal away last season when he was at fault for their first goal I wonder how often he's fecked up and cost us a goal.

Always seems to be at 0-0 too, at crucial moments.

I reckon we're in the 10-15 range for errors.

TheLord

We should have cashed in when RM were willing to splurge the world record fee for a keeper. He was still the best back then, but little cracks had started to open up. People trying to defend him all the time do not realise that this single error could be the difference between United securing the fourth or the fifth placed-finish.

He will be 30-year-old in 3/4 months time and will no longer be valued in excess of 20 million.

All great teams have a top-notch goal keeper.

croadyman

He just hasn't been the same player at all since that shocker against Portugal in the world cup.

I know it won't be happening but Henderson needs to come back in the summer and make him feel under pressure to perform better.

I agree with people who says that he is far too comfortable in his position and that needs to change.

El Zoido

He’s really declined, these errors happen FAR too often, you can’t deny it. If he continues like this he has to be replaced, it really is that simple. This is costing us games!

Skeezix

It seems like the tail end of last season is repeating. Dave cost us many games because of his frequently occurring lapses of concentration.

We can afford it at the beginning of the season but not at the tail end - where the stakes are high.

mad1max954

He’s really declined, these errors happen FAR too often, you can’t deny it. If he continues like this he has to be replaced, it really is that simple. This is costing us games!
His contract is way too big and he isn’t going anywhere as no one else will take him on those terms. personally I would have got rid during all the hype to get some value - as contentious as that sounds. I think you can do more with the squad than giving that sort of money to a goalkeeper.

We have another 3 years..only thing ole could and should do is drop him for Romero for a bit and make him work for it. Though it is the first game so I’d probably wait til the next feck up.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
@charlenefan

Still think he was brilliant last season? He’s been going downhill since the summer of 2018. Currently he’s looking like a mid to bottom half of the table keeper. Cost us at least half a dozen points already this season.
You said season before last, if last season was 18/19 then the season before that was 17/18 which he was brilliant

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You said season before last, if last season was 18/19 then the season before that was 17/18 which he was brilliant
Ok, right. That’s my mistake. Was thinking of first half of this season as “last season”. Anyway. He’s been shite for two seasons. Which is the main thing. Fecking sucks too. Looked like we’d found our keeper for the next several years. This club is cursed when it comes to keepers.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ok, right. That’s my mistake. Was thinking of first half of this season as “last season”. Anyway. He’s been shite for two seasons. Which is the main thing. Fecking sucks too. Looked like we’d found our keeper for the next several years. This club is cursed when it comes to keepers.
Yes it does suck, years of being WC when the rest of the team was shite and just as we start to turn that he's starts making mistakes on an almost gamely basis

As forever with this club post Fergie 1 step forward 2 back

Big decision to make in the summer

Lentwood

Should have been dropped a long time ago. The club and his teammates will be under no illusions that he’s experiencing a steep decline, Ole has a huge decision to make now regarding next season because this can’t continue.

It’s not just little half-mistakes here and there, it’s absolute clangers and usually they come at the worst possible time. I can think of maybe 4 examples this season alone (Palace, Everton x 2 and Watford) where a De Gea mistake has led to us going behind

passing-wind

Talk of selling him is premature (and probably impossible given that damn contract), but is it worth considering dropping him for a while? We've got a strong back-up in Romero, and maybe he needs a kick up the back.

Not buying into the idea that he's finished. Plenty of top goalkeepers go through bad runs of form, even lasting a whole season.
One thing you can guarantee is that Solskjaer doesn't have the character to drop him. Especially considering last seasons form where David dropped many points at the final hurdle of the season, Romero should have played the remainder fixtures.

KeanoMagicHat

Have to think Romero would do better for now, in his appearances he has made very few mistakes. That's all United really need for now until the end of the season, someone that isn't throwing them in his own net. It's absolutely killing the momentum of United and he has for more than a year now. If you think back to last season, United had a good chance of top 4 before De Gea dropped an easy Rudiger shot and let Alonso in. Ended up drawing and killed the season. You can also point to several games this season where United have played reasonably well and given it away. Frustrating.

Josep Dowling

The thing is De Gea has made so many individual errors over the last two years for a supposed world class goalkeeper. People never put Van Der Sar in the same bracket but I never remember the ball slipping through his hands that often.

The usual thing with United though. He’s now on a ridiculous contract which no one else will match. We have a goalkeeper out on loan doing much better than him this season. Have Bayern just allowed Neuer to remain at number 1? They have already brought in another goalkeeper knowing he’s on his way out. We aren’t cut throat enough anymore. Simple as that. This is a football club that should be trying to win things.

flappyjay

His weaknesses are being brutally exposed now that he's lost his ability to make those unstoppable saves that win you games. Not that Spurs' goal today wasn't savable, I'm sure most championship keepers would have dealt with that with ease.
Thats the weird thing though he wasn't lost the ability, he mostly messes up the easy ones. Messi's goal last season should have been a routine stop. Bergwijns shot was straight at him and he failed to parry. Right the error he goes and makes an incredible save from Son. His reflexes seem to be still top notch but execution is appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.