Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djemba-Djemba

Everton X2
Palace last minute winner
Watford opening goal away
Spurs last night

Too many errors and that's without mentioning goals like the one Otamendi scored where his refusal to move off his line puts extreme pressure on us from set pieces.

Any other big mistakes this season?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The thing is De Gea has made so many individual errors over the last two years for a supposed world class goalkeeper. People never put Van Der Sar in the same bracket but I never remember the ball slipping through his hands that often.

The usual thing with United though. He’s now on a ridiculous contract which no one else will match. We have a goalkeeper out on loan doing much better than him this season. Have Bayern just allowed Neuer to remain at number 1? They have already brought in another goalkeeper knowing he’s on his way out. We aren’t cut throat enough anymore. Simple as that. This is a football club that should be trying to win things.
Van Der Sar made his own share of mistakes while he was here but his really bad form came when he was at Juve. He had a nightmare spell that saw him lose his place as #1 and eventually move to Fulham. That was when he was older than De Gea too, so I'm sure a lot of people thought he was "past it".

Of course it's possible he wouldn't have recovered if he had stayed at Juventus, so the move might have been what saved his career.

Devil81

One thing you can guarantee is that Solskjaer doesn't have the character to drop him. Especially considering last seasons form where David dropped many points at the final hurdle of the season, Romero should have played the remainder fixtures.
Why hasn't Ole got the character to drop him, maybe Ole doesn't feel he has a keeper capable of stepping into his toes at the club right now.

We all praise Romero but he only ever plays in games where we're the huge favourites.

Maybe if Henderson was at the club he'd have a bigger question to answer.

Ole is doing a good job with the club, people need to stop being negative about him, it's an agenda against the manager a times and it's not needed as we're not dealing with managers with egos, Ole is one of our own.

Cloud7

I've been thinking this for some time. He's turned into the kind of keeper who makes great saves from time to time, but is unreliable in the sense that he makes costly mistakes.
Sounds like he’s turning into Lloris, funny enough

flappyjay

Poor guy. Time to move on as he’s declined. It’s not the case of an odd error anymore. It’s a few clangers each season.
Cant he is in the Sanchez category. His salary means only top teams can afford him but I hardly think they will be that keen with all these howlers.

izec

Cant he is in the Sanchez category. His salary means only top teams can afford him but I hardly think they will be that keen with all these howlers.
We would have to pay half his salary and hope someone from Spain or Italy would take a punt.

But we won't do it, since he has a certain status here. And Ole won't make the decision now, he will make it once the decision is more or less made by De Gea being completely useless for another season and the pressure piling up to get rid.

GoalsGetGirls

When a striker is not putting away clear chances, they get dropped. Don’t see why the same doesn’t happen to a GK when they are making howlers.

De Gea is not a big vocal commander of the defence so don’t see it having a major impact on our defence, which is usually the worry with dropping a GK.

Remember DeGea being dropped for Lindegaard in his debut season, seemed to do him the world of good as he improved massively.

Romero is a fantastic GK too.

-Supreme-

This summer could be a good time to attract clubs investing in him while he is still playing consistently for the first team and fortunately he's not injury prone like Sanchez.

hmchan

When a striker is not putting away clear chances, they get dropped. Don’t see why the same doesn’t happen to a GK when they are making howlers.

De Gea is not a big vocal commander of the defence so don’t see it having a major impact on our defence, which is usually the worry with dropping a GK.

Remember DeGea being dropped for Lindegaard in his debut season, seemed to do him the world of good as he improved massively.

Romero is a fantastic GK too.
de Gea's 375k-per-week salary pretty much guarantees a spot for him. Given his repeated errors and terrible form towards the end of last season, Ole still refused to drop him and chose to stick with him. As far as I see, he will be our first choice as long as he's here and competition is nonexistent.

padzilla

Hipster
The situation with De Gea sums up how badly the club is being run. It will be interesting to see if Ole has the bottle to bench him for the next game or if he is too much of a nice guy to make tough decisions which many people suggest he is.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just replace him with Henderson. People citing his contract as some reason why he needs to play makes little sense to me. He has already signed his contract. As has Dean Henderson. At this stage, selection cannot cost us money, only points. Henderson and De Gea will be paid every week for the next few years regardless of which one of them plays. So what exactly is the sense in playing the more poorly performing one?

RkkMan

The sad thing with De Gea is his mistakes of late are not to do with his weaknesses(lack of command in the defence or coming out of his line more often) but his shot stopping which is his greatest asset. If he`s shot stopping ability is genuinely declining then we have a major problem up ahead. Deano is going back to Sheffield for another season so DDG will still be our GK next season anyway but if come 2021 this "blip" continues a decision has to be made with him.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Will play devil's advocate here. At the end of the day, Dave is still a very good keeper. Our goals conceded and xGA is basically equal, which means that statistically we aren't conceding more or less than what we should have been conceding. What it also implies is that for every howler, there are a good number of goals he would have saved as well.
Also, an important thing to note here is that our xGA and the GC stat are equal despite some freakish WC goals that we've conceded - Grealish at OT, Neves equalizer, the West Ham 2-0 freekick and so on.
We can go all and all on about his mistake, which it was, but when an attacker goes 1v1 vs a GK, 90% of the time it's going to end up in a goal as the GK will have to premeditate the shot. In this case, it looks like a proper mistake because the shot was directed towards him. Dave couldn't get down fast enough and it's a bit understandable. Most GKs would expect an attacker like Bergwijn, who's running at you towards you at that pace to use power (and in turn hit the ball gaining enough elevation) than slotting the ball one of bottom corners

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Will play devil's advocate here. At the end of the day, Dave is still a very good keeper. Our goals conceded and xGA is basically equal, which means that statistically we aren't conceding more or less than what we should have been conceding. What it also implies is that for every howler, there are a good number of goals he would have saved as well.
Also, an important thing to note here is that our xGA and the GC stat are equal despite some freakish WC goals that we've conceded - Grealish at OT, Neves equalizer, the West Ham 2-0 freekick and so on.
We can go all and all on about his mistake, which it was, but when an attacker goes 1v1 vs a GK, 90% of the time it's going to end up in a goal as the GK will have to premeditate the shot. In this case, it looks like a proper mistake because the shot was directed towards him. Dave couldn't get down fast enough and it's a bit understandable. Most GKs would expect an attacker like Bergwijn, who's running at you towards you at that pace to use power (and in turn hit the ball gaining enough elevation) than slotting the ball one of bottom corners
https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/znRyK/1/

georgipep

Just replace him with Henderson. People citing his contract as some reason why he needs to play makes little sense to me. He has already signed his contract. As has Dean Henderson. At this stage, selection cannot cost us money, only points. Henderson and De Gea will be paid every week for the next few years regardless of which one of them plays. So what exactly is the sense in playing the more poorly performing one?
I was one of the biggest fans and defenders of David but am really wishing Ole decides to keep Henderson with us for next season and give him a few games (at least 10) in a row, maybe when the schedule gets very busy and we start playing European competition and local cups.

At the same time, I know rotating goalkeepers is a plan just waiting to backfire. Wonder if we're super spoiled and see a few errors as a bigger deal than it really is.

anant

So you’re comparing team stats vs individual?
Dave has been our GK for every PL game. I'm comparing all shots xGA vs xGA of just shots on target (which is what the link you shared is doing). The reason for that being that metric, while accounting for blocked shots, isn't accounting for GK's presence, if you get what I mean. If you're a striker and facing Dave, there's a higher chance of you missing the target because you would have tried to place the ball at one of the corners than when you're facing an average GK in which case you'd probably not try to place the shot exactly at the corner but maybe a few inches on the inside. I hope that I'm able to explain this properly and you're able to get the point I'm trying to make.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
De Gea this season has officially made three errors leading to goals, to go along with last season's four. The season before that he made none, the season before that one. So a very clear difference.

Somewhat interestingly though, three of those four errors last season came in the last nine games. Unsurprisingly he also had one of the very worst xG prevented during that period, which dragged down his stats as a whole for that season.

For the first 29 GWs of that season though he was actually in statistically reasonable form. He had made one error leading to a goal (the same as Henderson this year and the same as he had made in several of his best seasons) and was in the top five for xG prevented. Not his best season, sure, but nothing alarming. Then he had an absolute meltdown in the last nine gameweeks, which defined that season for him.

So if I were to try and make an argument to give us hope that he might be able to recover (and I fully admit this is me trying to frame it in the best possible light) it would be this:

"De Gea hasn't actually been terrible for two full seasons. For most of last season he was alright. It's just that over the last nine gameweeks he hit the worst form of his career, which defined that season for him and no doubt shattered his confidence. This season has then been a season of slow recovery. At no point this season has he hit the nadir of that nine week period. He's still made more mistakes than he should have, sure, but they've been spread out and interspersed with good games. And even within this season, he has performed better in the second half than the first, with his stats improving across the board the further he got away from that nightmare spell. This is somewhat reflected in our defensive record generally, with us already securing three times as many clean sheet in the last eleven games as we managed in the entire first half of the season. Yesterday's mistake marked a setback in what has nonetheless been a slow rebuilding process for De Gea."

Unfortunately I don't actually believe that's true. However, if he were able to go through the rest of the season without more mistakes and continue getting cleansheets then I might be able to convince myself it is and at least have some hope of him improving next year. Whereas if the mistakes continue then it becomes very difficult to see what will change.

facund

Dave has been our GK for every PL game. I'm comparing all shots xGA vs xGA of just shots on target (which is what the link you shared is doing). The reason for that being that metric, while accounting for blocked shots, isn't accounting for GK's presence, if you get what I mean. If you're a striker and facing Dave, there's a higher chance of you missing the target because you would have tried to place the ball at one of the corners than when you're facing an average GK in which case you'd probably not try to place the shot exactly at the corner but maybe a few inches on the inside. I hope that I'm able to explain this properly and you're able to get the point I'm trying to make.
There is too much assumption in what you suggest. There is no way of accounting for what you suppose as it may well have been a defenders 'presence' that forces the player to miss the target (how do we account for the pressure having a Van Dijk breathing down your neck has as opposed to Titus Bramble in the same position etc.), the attackers boot being a little loose or any other number of things. By using the stat in the context you have, you are blindly assigning all credit to De Gea in those instances (something we know cannot be entirely true but have little ability to establish to what extent it may hold some truth).

When shots have been placed on target, De Gea has not fared well comparative to his PL peers, from the perspective of xGA. This is statistically verifiable.
The merits of xGA are of course open for debate and should not be the sole consideration in any summation.

When we have a method of objectively accounting for a GK's 'presence' statistically, we can begin to use it in a statistical analysis. Until then the subjective opinion that De Gea's 'presence' has a particular bearing on outcomes only muddies any attempts to be objective. It is an intangible and will likely remain so.

This is not to say that your idea is wrong (that De Gea's reputation as a shot stopper plays on the minds of opponents and alters their decision making), just that it should not be used as you seek to use it.

anant

There is too much assumption in what you suggest. There is no way of accounting for what you suppose as it may well have been a defenders 'presence' that forces the player to miss the target (how do we account for the pressure having a Van Dijk breathing down your neck has as opposed to Titus Bramble in the same position etc.), the attackers boot being a little loose or any other number of things. By using the stat in the context you have, you are blindly assigning all credit to De Gea in those instances (something we know cannot be entirely true but have little ability to establish to what extent it may hold some truth).

When shots have been placed on target, De Gea has not fared well comparative to his PL peers, from the perspective of xGA. This is statistically verifiable.
The merits of xGA are of course open for debate and should not be the sole consideration in any summation.

When we have a method of objectively accounting for a GK's 'presence' statistically, we can begin to use it in a statistical analysis. Until then the subjective opinion that De Gea's 'presence' has a particular bearing on outcomes only muddies any attempts to be objective. It is an intangible and will likely remain so.

This is not to say that your idea is wrong (that De Gea's reputation as a shot stopper plays on the minds of opponents and alters their decision making), just that it should not be used as you seek to use it.
I do agree with what you've said, and I'm not of the opinion that the difference between a striker shooting on the target and missing the target is Dave. There are going to be some blocks, some long range efforts (having low xG) and so on. But the current metric would probably underrate the better GKs in a way. And a lot of it is down to the placement of a shot. Aguero might try for an effort from the edge of the box against a Tim Krul, but he'll probably square it to a player in a better position or maybe try and progress by a few yards vs De Gea or a top GK

facund

I do agree with what you've said, and I'm not of the opinion that the difference between a striker shooting on the target and missing the target is Dave. There are going to be some blocks, some long range efforts (having low xG) and so on. But the current metric would probably underrate the better GKs in a way. And a lot of it is down to the placement of a shot. Aguero might try for an effort from the edge of the box against a Tim Krul, but he'll probably square it to a player in a better position or maybe try and progress by a few yards vs De Gea or a top GK
I agree with the premise, it is just ridiculously difficult / impossible to account for it statistically.

In defence of De Gea, he is not helped by the fact he has made two quite obvious errors punctuated by a three month hiatus from football.

I'm more than willing to offer the benefit of the doubt and put yesterday down to him not having faced a shot in anger for quite some time. The fact that the first shot he faced could be considered "blistering" and reached him in the awkward zone between body/leg and hands further mitigates. Maybe he should have tried to use his knee instead? If that type of thing happens over the rest of the season I won't be as sympathetic.

There is a concerning trend of errors over the last 12 months but yesterday should not be given too much significance due to this being one of the most, if not the most, unusual times in football history. GK's need competitive matches to find rhythm and sharpness too.

RkkMan

When his poor form started people blamed it on the World Cup hangover. Next it was uncertainty over his contract. After he signed it people are still saying it`s a "blip" in form. I`m one of the people who will give him the benefit of doubt cause Deano will likely go back to Sheffield but the excuses need to stop. He`s been costing us goals and points for a good part of 2yrs now and questions righfully have to be asked at him. Even Chelsea were ruthless with Cech, Madrid with Casillas and even City got rid of Given who had been solid for them for years to give a chance to Joe Hart who had a fantastic loan spell at Birmingham and young like Henderson.

Strats

He sat down when the boat was rocking and leaking.

He deserves credit for that but its time to move on and give Henderson a chance to prove himself.

UncleBob

I agree with the premise, it is just ridiculously difficult / impossible to account for it statistically.

In defence of De Gea, he is not helped by the fact he has made two quite obvious errors punctuated by a three month hiatus from football.

I'm more than willing to offer the benefit of the doubt and put yesterday down to him not having faced a shot in anger for quite some time. The fact that the first shot he faced could be considered "blistering" and reached him in the awkward zone between body/leg and hands further mitigates. Maybe he should have tried to use his knee instead? If that type of thing happens over the rest of the season I won't be as sympathetic.

There is a concerning trend of errors over the last 12 months but yesterday should not be given too much significance due to this being one of the most, if not the most, unusual times in football history. GK's need competitive matches to find rhythm and sharpness too.
Which ones ?

In terms of Tottenhams goal, it looks worse than it is and people jump on it. It's a bullet of a shot from what, roughly 13m out, and we're talking about 0,6 something seconds from he hits the ball to it hits the back of the net, factor in that it's at a difficult height and close to his upper body and it's pretty clear that saving it is more difficult than people like to think. Short time to react, can't use his leg because of the height and distance to his upper body, only chance is to use his fist and hope that it deflects over/outside.

Zlatattack

Needs to be dropped for the next game at least. Dave is still a great goalkeeper but I think he reckons he's untouchable at this club now. That needs to change. He's no bigger player for us than Stam, Keane, Beckham or RVN were and they were moved on when attitude or performances changed.

jeff_goldblum

At his very best he was arguably the best in the world, but if we're being honest he's been a long way off that for a while now.

He's always come across as a confidence player and his strengths have always been in his ability to do something spectacular that others goalies couldn't do rather than his ability to do the basics well consistently. In our current team where we're not under the cosh at much as we were 5 years ago the latter is arguably more important and with his confidence where it's been over the last couple of years, he's gone from being the redeeming feature of our backline to being its weak spot.

Romero has never let us down and I think he deserves a shot at the position for the remainder of this season. If/when Henderson comes back and keeps his current form up he'll deserve the nod.

sport2793

Which ones ?

In terms of Tottenhams goal, it looks worse than it is and people jump on it. It's a bullet of a shot from what, roughly 13m out, and we're talking about 0,6 something seconds from he hits the ball to it hits the back of the net, factor in that it's at a difficult height and close to his upper body and it's pretty clear that saving it is more difficult than people like to think. Short time to react, can't use his leg because of the height and distance to his upper body, only chance is to use his fist and hope that it deflects over/outside.
I would agree with you but to be honest, that Everton mistake was near unforgivable.

UncleBob

I would agree with you but to be honest, that Everton mistake was near unforgivable.
No idea why the Everton goal is referred to as a mistake, it's an attack on the goalkeeper and 99/100 times it's a clear and obvious freekick.

Shark

@NotShark
which one do you think i am referring to
Just confused how you'd come to that conclusion if its the mistake where De Gea goal kicks the ball straight into Lewins path to score, when he had all the time in the world to not do that.

which one do you think i am referring to
The one at home was a clear foul, but the one away with Calvert-Lewin was inexcusable. Can't tell which one you're referring to as an attack on the goalkeeper. I think the Everton (away) and Watford mistakes are the ones he was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.