Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStar

Yes, he was word class there for a couple of seasons, but since the last season, he’s changed.

It was a weird decision from Ole to start him instead of Romero for the FA cup. Don’t know what that was about.

I’ve completely lost faith in him, and I think it’s only a matter of time before the players and DDG himself do it too. I highly doubt he’s going to be replaced in the last two matches, which doesn’t inspire any confidence for our chances of top 4.

Let’s hope Ole realises this and brings on Henderson next season. At his wage though, there might not be a lot of takers for DDG.

Champagne Football

Man Utd pay him more than 6 times the weekly salary that Ederson gets at City, and more than 4 times the weekly salary of Alisson gets at Liverpool!

Stacks

Man Utd pay him more than 6 times the weekly salary that Ederson gets at City, and more than 4 times the weekly salary of Alisson gets at Liverpool!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-says-david-de-22382288
Sometimes he talks sense

"De Gea? I think the moment when he signed his huge contract, is the moment I don't think United needs to pay as much as that to have him," Mourinho told Sky Sports.

"One or two years ago he had the world after him, in this moment, the majority of the big doors were closed.

Mourinho added: "I don't see the pressure. Who is going to pay David these numbers? (De Gea) gets a phenomenal contract in a moment where he's a bit lucky to get it. Is he good? Yes, he's very good.

"David is much better on the line than coming out. I think in goal, his agility and technical level is second to none.

He is making me a bit nervous just because we need results and I have memories of this time last season. When the pressure is on he seems to crumble a bit. That said, I don't feel we have another option right now and Henderson isn't the answer. If we keep outscoring our opponents we should be fine.

Champagne Football

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-says-david-de-22382288
Sometimes he talks sense

"De Gea? I think the moment when he signed his huge contract, is the moment I don't think United needs to pay as much as that to have him," Mourinho told Sky Sports.

"One or two years ago he had the world after him, in this moment, the majority of the big doors were closed.

Mourinho added: "I don't see the pressure. Who is going to pay David these numbers? (De Gea) gets a phenomenal contract in a moment where he's a bit lucky to get it. Is he good? Yes, he's very good.

"David is much better on the line than coming out. I think in goal, his agility and technical level is second to none.

He is making me a bit nervous just because we need results and I have memories of this time last season. When the pressure is on he seems to crumble a bit. That said, I don't feel we have another option right now and Henderson isn't the answer. If we keep outscoring our opponents we should be fine.
Jose demanding we pay Alexis £450,000 a week was a much bigger mistake. And Jose tends to have an anti-Utd agenda when he talks about us these days.

But yeah seems like a huge mistake but it is strange as De Gea is at an age where he should be thriving as a keeper.

Stacks

Jose demanding we pay Alexis £450,000 a week was a much bigger mistake. And Jose tends to have an anti-Utd agenda when he talks about us these days.

But yeah seems like a huge mistake but it is strange as De Gea is at an age where he should be thriving as a keeper.
Did Jose demand we pay these wages? Could just be desperation and our "transfer commitee?" Does the manager decide the wages or have anything to do with it? I doubt Ole suggested how much we pay De Gea.

De Gea is like the Joe Hart mould of keeper. After a while Hart stopped being a top keeper even though he wasn't that old. The issue is he hasn't improved on his weaknesses or other areas of his game so when his one strength starts to falters he's fecked. He seems like his concentration has diminished. Maybe its because we don't face as many shots so he gets cold? When our defence gets peppered he is heroic.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

Did Jose demand we pay these wages? Could just be desperation and our "transfer commitee?" Does the manager decide the wages or have anything to do with it? I doubt Ole suggested how much we pay De Gea.
Jose absolutely knows how to throw a tantrum at a board to try and get his way. He knows how to pressure them to get what he wants. They didn't buy him Peresic and he never stopped whinging about it and kept blaming poor performances on the fact he never got Peresic. So the board got sick of his whinging so went out and spent an amount on an ageing player that they would never normally have dreamed of paying.

Stacks

Jose absolutely knows how to throw a tantrum at a board to try and get his way. He knows how to pressure them to get what he wants. They didn't buy him Peresic and he never stopped whinging about it and kept blaming poor performances on the fact he never got Peresic. So the board got sick of his whinging so went out and spent an amount on an ageing player that they would never normally have dreamed of paying.
true. He is a real diva/drama queen. he would of said "sign him at all costs"

G-manc

Although it wasn't his worst error in the game, i don't see why he had to make any sort of movement for the first goal. If he'd just spread himself it would have hit him square on - it was going straight for his body.

Jackal981

Agree with this.

OgS has been talking about how competition in attack during his time at the club was key & has warned our forwards he’s always on the look out for strikers etc.

The goalkeeping position should be no different; not dropping DDG is telling him he can do as badly as he likes without any consequence.
I always believe competition breeds exellence, even more so in football. If his confidence is shot after he got dropped, then it is absolutely the right decision to drop him and move on. No one is granted a position in this club, we are United ffs. Everybody should fight for their spot. If he is not dropped after this calamity you wonder what other players will think about it.

Traub

In all of his time here, has he actually ever performed under pressure? I know he was our POTY for several seasons, but it was at a time when his performances didn't really have an impact on anything important.
I'm probably being extremely short-sighted, and I'm sure someone will point it out. But it feels that as soon as the pressure is well and truly on (playing for Spain in pressure games, when Champions League qualification is on the line), he can't handle it. It's probably just more of a coincidence that these events have happened while he has been declining.

RUCK4444

In all of his time here, has he actually ever performed under pressure? I know he was our POTY for several seasons, but it was at a time when his performances didn't really have an impact on anything important.
I'm probably being extremely short-sighted, and I'm sure someone will point it out. But it feels that as soon as the pressure is well and truly on (playing for Spain in pressure games, when Champions League qualification is on the line), he can't handle it. It's probably just more of a coincidence that these events have happened while he has been declining.
I dunno, I do think that’s harsh.

When the chips were down and at some very low points over the past 6 years, when players we’re hiding, he was feckin outstanding for us time and again.

I don’t think it’s pressure, I believe he’s somehow let a lack of concentration creep into his game. That howler yesterday was bad but it wasn’t caused by a lack of reflexes or ability, just poor concentration.

Grande

yes, I agree with you that it’s short sighted and someone should point it out. Feelings are not good tools for getting a good perspective, hence why it’s called knee jerk.

De Gea was one of the most consistent players in the world for several years. He has been in lots of different kinds of pressure, from replacing Coupet and displacing Asenjo at Atletico as a 19 year old, to staving off huge bouts of criticism as a 21 year old wiry keeper making mistakes for the biggest club in the world (tm), to winning the PL, the EL, the FA cup, the League cup, to being the best keeper in the world for years while playing for a club in crisis, in rebuild, in comeback, in new crisis.

He has played regularly at the highest level for ten years. You’ll find that not many keepers have managed that without deviations in form. The last two years he has been a good keeper, not a great one, making as many mistakes as the regular good keeper (Leno, Lloris, Henderson, Fabianski, Emerson etc), getting more attention for each of them. Before that he was fecking unbelievable for a mindnumbingly consistent period of time.

lex talionis

It's definitely not a question of ability. There's something wrong with his concentration, which presumably is easily handled. I'd hate to drop him for the rest for the rest of the season but it may be best for Dave in the long run to be dropped, take whatever time he needs to sort things out, and come back pissed off and ready to prove himself. As I see it, this is the only way forward.

Ole doesn't need to be cruel about it publicly and say things that need not be said, but given the importance of the next two league games he has to act boldly. I believe he will have the fans behind him if he starts Romero for West Ham...unless he sees something in training between now and then that reassures him that Dave is fully focused on the task before him.

SAFMUTD

It seems like the world cup in 2018 broke him
This. He had been critized in Spain before, but that world cup just broke him. Before that he was playing to a really high level, it would be inconceivable to see him make stupid mistakes, now he still make some spectacular saves, but the continuos stupid errors are over the hill. I dont think there's any other keeper in the premier league with that amount of mistakes.

Suedesi

Some stats to confirm what we already know. His shot stopping has gone to shit (over last 18 months) which means there’s no longer any justification for us to tolerate his long term flaw of being painfully slow off his line. He’s gone from being arguably the best keepers in the league to one of the very worst. This is a huge problem.
fecking depressing man, we can't seem to find the right chemistry in the back...

MikeeMike

It's definitely not a question of ability. There's something wrong with his concentration, which presumably is easily handled. I'd hate to drop him for the rest for the rest of the season but it may be best for Dave in the long run to be dropped, take whatever time he needs to sort things out, and come back pissed off and ready to prove himself. As I see it, this is the only way forward.

Ole doesn't need to be cruel about it publicly and say things that need not be said, but given the importance of the next two league games he has to act boldly. I believe he will have the fans behind him if he starts Romero for West Ham...unless he sees something in training between now and then that reassures him that Dave is fully focused on the task before him.
Totally agree. Also we were well beaten by Chelsea even without the error. Slack defending throughout the game. The had a free header early on that they should have scored.

Whilst he had a shocker. We did absolutely nothing up front and team selection is as much a part of the loss as GK mistake.
Did any player have a good game? Maybe AWB.
Did James touch the ball ?
Fred was man marked out of the game and wandered around aimlessly.

ash_86

Little Glace of his mistakes this season. Some cost us valuable points

nemanja15

Little Glace of his mistakes this season. Some cost us valuable points

I'm a massive fan of de Gea and championed him well before people came to accept the man as one of (if not) the best in the world back in 2013. But this is damning evidence. A couple of these a season, you'd maybe accept under normal circumstances. It's a staggering drop-off.

And the odd thing is, Palace away before the FA Cup semi was probably his best game since lockdown. Three or four top saves and looked more confident. A lot doesn't really add up.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I wish people stopped with the whole "don't forget the amount of times he's saved us". It's not one blunder either. He cost us top4 last year and now the FA cup. The whole point of a good keeper is reliability not camera angle saves.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm a massive fan of de Gea and championed him well before people came to accept the man as one of (if not) the best in the world back in 2013. But this is damning evidence. A couple of these a season, you'd maybe accept under normal circumstances. It's a staggering drop-off.

And the odd thing is, Palace away before the FA Cup semi was probably his best game since lockdown. Three or four top saves and looked more confident. A lot doesn't really add up.
To me, that's the whole issue. He isn't reliable. A goalkeeper or defender lives on reliability.

izec

Watching these, it's just depressing. Not like handling errors, they're the type of things you'd shout at your five aside keeper for letting in. Brutal
The Watford and Everton ones are the worst, you can also see his shoulders and head drop instantly. That one from Sarr, a slow shot goes past his two hands, hits his face and goes in. I mean, fecking hell, every child would save that. It is sabotage at this point.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Watching these, it's just depressing. Not like handling errors, they're the type of things you'd shout at your five aside keeper for letting in. Brutal
Mannnn, these saves are so damn weird to concede. He literally let's it between his hands even though he's done everything to get in position and has his hands in position too.

The giroud one it's like he's a statue waiting for the ball to hit him. It hits his whole hand and wrist too.

Mount? No clue what's going through de Gea's head for that one or any of them.

I am sure his pet died or something and he never got over it, or maybe his girlfriend has broken his heart. Something just isn't right and it's nothing to do with his physical state or reflexes

Born2Lose

Most damning thing about that Opta tweet is saving shots is the only thing he's world class at. The rest of his game as a goalkeeper leaves a lot to be desired.

I find it difficult to imagine him as our first choice GK if we do get back to competing against Liverpool and City with the additional pressure a title run-in places on players.

The_Midfielder

He has been here for 10 years.. If you stay in one club for a long time and you are one of the best, obviously you will be paid more..

midnightmare

It seems like the world cup in 2018 broke him
I think he needs to see a psychologist. Something is wrong.

This. He had been critized in Spain before, but that world cup just broke him. Before that he was playing to a really high level, it would be inconceivable to see him make stupid mistakes, now he still make some spectacular saves, but the continuos stupid errors are over the hill. I dont think there's any other keeper in the premier league with that amount of mistakes.
Don't agree with any of these. For me, it boils down to what made DdG the beast he used to be. he broke through much younger than most keepers do at top level. He also possessed a "unique" style (at the time) with feet specially. He didn't - and still doesn't - command the box and rely on marshaling a defence to corral strikers in specific ways. Instead, prefers staying on the line and relying on supreme (used to seem superhuman at times) reflexes to keep shots out. His style therefore was a lot more like Casillas than van der Sar. With this, come the downsides. The key one being he relies on being that split second faster than anyone else. If that goes, and it always does go with the passage of time, the edge is gone and he's no longer "special". May well be an above-average keeper still, but not the topmost tier.

From where I see it (and I admit, I was in the "Sell him now as his value and utility is at its peak and will slide" camp 2 years ago), this slide has been slow - and is now accelerating. He made a few errors even in 2017/18, though not in the league (remember Sevilla?). Last year, while we blame the attack and midfield, DdG too was horribly culpable in our collapse and missing Top 4. This season, that propensity to make errors has continued and accelerated. He'll still pull off some mega saves and remind us of "what he's capable of", but this is not reversible. It's not psychological, but physiological and we need to accept it.

People slammed the Madridistas for wanting shot of Casillas. The fact is, he too declined way before "normal" age for keepers. May shock many, but Casillas is still only 39! That's younger than van der Sar was when being peerless in a PL-winning side. Loads said Madrid fans and managers should back "San Iker" to get back to his best - but that was pointless. Pointing to how DdG "should be entering his peak years" is pointless. He's not got those reflexes to call upon with that level of reliability and consistency any more. And the lapses will continue to increase. Slowly, perhaps, but inexorably, as time takes its toll. It's not pressure. What was the pressure during the games against Palace, Watford etc.? The sooner we accept it, the better.

For those that still want to back DdG, citing his "service to the club", just answer a simple question, "Would Fergie have tolerated any player, regardless of service to the club, who ran up this kind of catalogue of disasters?"

El Zoido

Yeah this is what I’ve been saying. They’re schoolboy errors. Bad form is one thing, this goes way beyond that. Big headache for Ole, it’s not easy to shift a player on such a high salary. He’ll make the right decision though I’ve no doubt.

SAFMUTD

Don't agree with any of these. For me, it boils down to what made DdG the beast he used to be. he broke through much younger than most keepers do at top level. He also possessed a "unique" style (at the time) with feet specially. He didn't - and still doesn't - command the box and rely on marshaling a defence to corral strikers in specific ways. Instead, prefers staying on the line and relying on supreme (used to seem superhuman at times) reflexes to keep shots out. His style therefore was a lot more like Casillas than van der Sar. With this, come the downsides. The key one being he relies on being that split second faster than anyone else. If that goes, and it always does go with the passage of time, the edge is gone and he's no longer "special". May well be an above-average keeper still, but not the topmost tier.

From where I see it (and I admit, I was in the "Sell him now as his value and utility is at its peak and will slide" camp 2 years ago), this slide has been slow - and is now accelerating. He made a few errors even in 2017/18, though not in the league (remember Sevilla?). Last year, while we blame the attack and midfield, DdG too was horribly culpable in our collapse and missing Top 4. This season, that propensity to make errors has continued and accelerated. He'll still pull off some mega saves and remind us of "what he's capable of", but this is not reversible. It's not psychological, but physiological and we need to accept it.

People slammed the Madridistas for wanting shot of Casillas. The fact is, he too declined way before "normal" age for keepers. May shock many, but Casillas is still only 39! That's younger than van der Sar was when being peerless in a PL-winning side. Loads said Madrid fans and managers should back "San Iker" to get back to his best - but that was pointless. Pointing to how DdG "should be entering his peak years" is pointless. He's not got those reflexes to call upon with that level of reliability and consistency any more. And the lapses will continue to increase. Slowly, perhaps, but inexorably, as time takes its toll. It's not pressure. What was the pressure during the games against Palace, Watford etc.? The sooner we accept it, the better.

For those that still want to back DdG, citing his "service to the club", just answer a simple question, "Would Fergie have tolerated any player, regardless of service to the club, who ran up this kind of catalogue of disasters?"
I agree with everything you say, but I dont think that mistskes come from a general decline in form. If it was him not getting to that spectacular shots he used to save I would agree, but we are talking about brain farts here.

Completely mistakes, and those dont have anything to do with the strenght or speed of a keeper declining, those are totally mental. Lack of concentration.

OrcaFat

Let’s bring Henderson back and keep De Gea. They can compete with each other. De Gea may get back to his best or at least he’ll keep Henderson on his toes.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Watford and Everton ones are the worst, you can also see his shoulders and head drop instantly. That one from Sarr, a slow shot goes past his two hands, hits his face and goes in. I mean, fecking hell, every child would save that. It is sabotage at this point.
That was a horrendous mistake against Watford , Sunday league stuff.

RedDevilUnited369

Anybody else who follows him on social media notice he doesn’t interact with his pop star girlfriend anymore?

Maybe they’ve split and his mind isn’t in the game...

Pure speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.