Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
If we're replacing, it's got to be Oblak. The only other keepers of that calibre are Allison and Ter Stegen and are obviously not available. The Roma keeper looked ok but I've not seen enough.

If Oblak is not available, it might well be a case of grass is greener.

I know he gets very good money but I feel bad for him that from 2012-18 he never got a proper stage to show what he can do. His one really big game (away vs Madrid) was spectacular, the best goalkeeping I've ever seen, and was also his last really big game when he was at his peak.
Bayern, Paris, Barcelona? (was shit on the last one though)

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
There was times when the ball was floated into his zone and he refused to come off his line to help. He needs to be moved on IMO.
I was screaming at my TV in the second half. Leicester had a free kick from about 35-40 yards. The lofted one into the 6 yard box and De Gea sat there on his line. The ref ended up calling a foul but he should be all over that. Then there was the "drop" in the first half where he took a bit of a knock from Vardy. Turned out Vardy was offside but that could have been costly as well. And to see him get upset with Vardy was laughable. I played keeper all my life, and if I drop a ball the first thing that comes to my mind is "oh sh*t, this is going to hurt". Vardy did nothing wrong. De Gea holds onto the ball and Vardy doesn't come in for it...De Gea is a liability and Henderson needs to be back next season to challenge him for the #1...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was screaming at my TV in the second half. Leicester had a free kick from about 35-40 yards. The lofted one into the 6 yard box and De Gea sat there on his line. The ref ended up calling a foul but he should be all over that. Then there was the "drop" in the first half where he took a bit of a knock from Vardy. Turned out Vardy was offside but that could have been costly as well. And to see him get upset with Vardy was laughable. I played keeper all my life, and if I drop a ball the first thing that comes to my mind is "oh sh*t, this is going to hurt". Vardy did nothing wrong. De Gea holds onto the ball and Vardy doesn't come in for it...De Gea is a liability and Henderson needs to be back next season to challenge him for the #1...
Completely agree. I've never rated him highly and his flaws are hard to look past. I for one will be very happy when he's gone.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And to the people wanting Oblak, isn't he also another pure shot-stopper who isn't good at commanding his area?

threamcloud

Did you guys really watch Oblak or just watch youtube video? He is just a better version of De Gea with more confidence. And that confidence will quickly fade away when playing for our team. Another Aletico Madrid, but not Man Utd goalie, example...

threamcloud

More clean sheets than Schmeichel now, he might be loosing his touch but you need to remember what he has done for us in the past.
I cannot, for god's sake, understand this logic.
Really. Why?? Why should I remember what he did in the past? Did we own him anything? Or are you saying that he staying here already a big favour for our pitiful club? Because of our lack of trophy? Then maybe Spain owned him a great deal of debt too, because of hí "amazing" performance.

Weh, poor him, playing for one of the best clubs in the world, getting paid top salary.

Yes. Roy Keane talk shit mostly nowadays. But I like him talking these days, because those words should be thrown into any Man Utd player fanboys face. Maybe then, they would truely realize what are they supporting, their idol player, or Man Utd.

Roosney

Don't believe him. He's never been a big fan of United's 4 time player of the year, who was the best goalkeeper in the league between 2014 and 2018? Do me a favour.
Actually I agree with him. De Gea can make unbelievable saves but that's about it. He hogs the goal line and causes uncertainty in the defence.
I think yesterday early in the match there was 4 United defenders surrounding protecting the ball waiting for David to come collect but he stood frozen. It ended up with a panic hoof ball out wide by Bissaka (!).
It's not entirely on De Gea but recently we have conceded a lot with him passing the ball to our DM who's in a tight spot in front of our box.

TL;DR I do rate him but he has some really bad flaws as well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's never been a big fan of United's 4 time player of the year, who was the best goalkeeper in the league between 2014 and 2018?
Perhaps he has noted, like many others, that De Gea has blatant weaknesses as a keeper that he has so far failed to improve on.

He was the best GK in the league for several seasons, but he relied on extreme qualities that tend to wane as the player gets older. This isn't something new, it has happened to many keepers whose game depends on sheer shot-stopping ability.

De Gea is another Iker waiting to happen (if it hasn't happened already). It ain't some kind of bizarre agenda driven by people who don't like him, it's a genuine worry. It's also extremely annoying given our current state. We're in the middle of a rebuild. The last thing we need is having to replace a goal keeper who happens to be our best paid player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Did you guys really watch Oblak or just watch youtube video? He is just a better version of De Gea with more confidence. And that confidence will quickly fade away when playing for our team. Another Aletico Madrid, but not Man Utd goalie, example...
eh? we might not defend like Atletico but we aren't that bad either.

DDG plays like a timid kid at the first day of school. He won't catch or punch any crosses unless they are literally aimed at him.

Cecc07

The amount of disrespect which DDG receive in this forum is astonishing. Yes he is not in his best form, but even the best players have such difficult periods in their careers. Keep the faith in him, one bad season from 10 is not that bad. He still can be the best or on of the best GK in the world.

Djemba-Djemba

The amount of disrespect which DDG receive in this forum is astonishing. Yes he is not in his best form, but even the best players have such difficult periods in their careers. Keep the faith in him, one bad season from 10 is not that bad. He still can be the best or on of the best GK in the world.
It's been two bad seasons on the bounce.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He didn't make many mistakes in that 4 years or so he was seen by most as the best in the world.

It's utter revisionism to say he's "always" made mistakes, he had a shaky period at the start, then turned brilliant, and now has fallen down a fair few gears.
But you just know fans always judge on the current.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Completely agree. I've never rated him highly and his flaws are hard to look past. I for one will be very happy when he's gone.
Didn't rate him in that 4 year period he was almost flawless?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I cannot, for god's sake, understand this logic.
Really. Why?? Why should I remember what he did in the past? Did we own him anything? Or are you saying that he staying here already a big favour for our pitiful club? Because of our lack of trophy? Then maybe Spain owned him a great deal of debt too, because of hí "amazing" performance.

Weh, poor him, playing for one of the best clubs in the world, getting paid top salary.

Yes. Roy Keane talk shit mostly nowadays. But I like him talking these days, because those words should be thrown into any Man Utd player fanboys face. Maybe then, they would truely realize what are they supporting, their idol player, or Man Utd.
Take a breather mate, wow.
You sound like a ranting maniac.

Nickelodeon

For all the posts in the last two pages asking him to be replaced with Henderson, did you see Henderson's mistake last night? Or against Arsenal? Or against Newcastle?

You lot make it seem that Henderson is Schemeichel reborn. For people to analyze De Gea's facial expressions to say he is finished is as ludicrous as it comes. I've honestly seen people defending Lingard more than De Gea here.

Yes, he needs to be challenged. Probably dropped as well as he might've become too comfortable being United's No.1. But it's still too soon to give up on him because even if there's a 20% chance of him hitting his peak, we should to try to coax it out of him because no GK, let alone Henderson, can match that peak. And if starts off in a similar manner next season, he should be out of the first XI be it for Henderson or Romero.

Bojan11

For all the posts in the last two pages asking him to be replaced with Henderson, did you see Henderson's mistake last night? Or against Arsenal? Or against Newcastle?

You lot make it seem that Henderson is Schemeichel reborn. For people to analyze his facial expressions to say he is finished is as ludicrous as it comes. I've honestly seen people defending Lingard more than De Gea here.

Yes, he needs to be challenged. Probably dropped as well as he might've become too comfortable being United's No.1. But it's still too soon to give up on him because even if there's a 20% chance of him hitting his peak, we should to try to coax it out of him because no GK, let alone Henderson, can match that peak. And if starts off in a similar manner next season, he should be out of the first XI be it for Henderson or Romero.
I don’t think Henderson is the answer either. Screams Ben Foster vibes. We all saw how Foster folded when VDS was injured at start of 09. His mistakes back then basically cost us the league that year.

But at the moment De Gea isn’t great too. His strengths aren’t providing cover for his weaknesses which has always been coming off his line and his kicking. It helps when you under pressure and team throwing crosses in that a goalie comes out to collect them. That way they’d have to think about where to aim the crosses to avoid the goalkeeper.

clarkydaz

He didn't make many mistakes in that 4 years or so he was seen by most as the best in the world.

It's utter revisionism to say he's "always" made mistakes, he had a shaky period at the start, then turned brilliant, and now has fallen down a fair few gears.
But you just know fans always judge on the current.
right at the end he does say he gets a free ride for being good 2 or 3 years ago. On that he is correct

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
right at the end he does say he gets a free ride for being good 2 or 3 years ago. On that he is correct
Yes, right now we have a big problem, as he's been making colossal mistakes regularly after that world cup.
However, it's ludicrous to suggest he was never superb. He was regarded even by rivals as at worst second best in the world, there was a huge reason we had to fend off Real Madrid repeatedly, and he won player of the year awards. As a keeper.

Djemba-Djemba

Yes, right now we have a big problem, as he's been making colossal mistakes regularly after that world cup.
However, it's ludicrous to suggest he was never superb. He was regarded even by rivals as at worst second best in the world, there was a huge reason we had to fend off Real Madrid repeatedly, and he won player of the year awards. As a keeper.
He was every bit as good then as he is bad now.

He was fecking brilliant and to see how much he's declined is actually pretty sad.

clarkydaz

He does contradict himself admitting he was good then :D . 18 months is a long time for Keane to accept a player making blunders, so its his short term memory thats prominent

Nickelodeon

I don’t think Henderson is the answer either. Screams Ben Foster vibes. We all saw how Foster folded when VDS was injured at start of 09. His mistakes back then basically cost us the league that year.

But at the moment De Gea isn’t great too. His strengths aren’t providing cover for his weaknesses which has always been coming off his line and his kicking. It helps when you under pressure and team throwing crosses in that a goalie comes out to collect them. That way they’d have to think about where to aim the crosses to avoid the goalkeeper.
I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I feel that some people will have a rude awakening if Henderson performs shakily for us. Best case for us is to make both De Gea and Henderson compete with each other. Hopefully, at least one of them will stand out and make himself the undisputed No. 1. For the clubs sake, I hope its De Gea who reaches his peak. Obviously, for us to properly know whether De Gea has hit his peak, the team would really have to suck.

Sylar

Henderson isnt ready imo. DDG needs a break. I think DDG needs a break / rest and its good that theres no international tournament either.
Think that mistake yesterday was part of the confidence issues hes got. Maybe its mental?
I think he deserves another year though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Didn't rate him in that 4 year period he was almost flawless?
No. For me he was a shot stopper who didn't keep goal well. A Goalkeeper should do far more.

I understand that's not a popular opinion but for me having a commanding keeper is a must and I could never look past that.

Alemar

Do we have complete stats for the season for de Gea? xGA and all that?

MetoTTT

I seriously think he needs a sophrologist or other mental work on him. That's clearly mental imo. He passed from zero to hero then to zero again.
He did it after his first season, hope he'll do it again. If not, we're fe*ed.

edcunited1878

No. For me he was a shot stopper who didn't keep goal well. A Goalkeeper should do far more.

I understand that's not a popular opinion but for me having a commanding keeper is a must and I could never look past that.
So then all those years, who would you have had in goal instead? All players have their strengths and weaknesses and DDG was arguably the best for a while and now is good to very good, but not his top elite self.

Physically, he's done very well to adapt to the league and then some. Post-World Cup DDG has been off from a focus/mental POV, which is where his errors have come from, more than physical mistakes. While his fellow teammate Jesse Lingard has been completely off and never kicked on from that season when he was actually good to very good throughout the year.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

You lot make it seem that Henderson is Schemeichel reborn. For people to analyze De Gea's facial expressions to say he is finished is as ludicrous as it comes. I've honestly seen people defending Lingard more than De Gea here.

Don’t try and come in here with a sensible suggestion!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So then all those years, who would you have had in goal instead? All players have their strengths and weaknesses and DDG was arguably the best for a while and now is good to very good, but not his top elite self.

Physically, he's done very well to adapt to the league and then some. Post-World Cup DDG has been off from a focus/mental POV, which is where his errors have come from, more than physical mistakes. While his fellow teammate Jesse Lingard has been completely off and never kicked on from that season when he was actually good to very good throughout the year.
Someone who could command their area.

I don't believe he was ever a elite goalkeeper but rather a elite shotstopper. So I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment here. Bayern signed a young keeper recently from Schalke (Nubel) who would've been my first choice to replace De Gea because he has all the tools already in his locker to be the keeper of a team that wants to play a proactive brand of football.

edcunited1878

Someone who could command their area.

I don't believe he was ever a elite goalkeeper but rather a elite shotstopper. So I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment here. Bayern signed a young keeper recently from Schalke (Nubel) who would've been my first choice to replace De Gea because he has all the tools already in his locker to be the keeper of a team that wants to play a proactive brand of football.
Those elite goalkeepers across recent history at top European clubs are far and few between, thus when DDG has played since he was 18 in Spain for Atletico Madrid, he ascended into a young and talented GK into one of the world's best for a good period and has recently regressed, but also how the GK position has evolved as well.

For the most part, DDG positioning, handling, footwork, and reflexes have been top class. Until recently, his calmness and temperament have been very, very good. He's never been at the top end when it comes to distribution (kicking or throwing) or commanding his goal area. All have been adequate to good throughout his United career. I think when United go back into the CL, does DDG raise his level and play like he did against Real Madrid all those years under Fergie or more recently last year against PSG?

Heard that Nubel should be a good player, but we'll see what happens with Neuer and him, with Neuer being captain and Germany #1 without a doubt.

criticalanalysis

Okay so totally out of context I know for a one minute clip..but anyone annoyed by that 'training' drill? The feck was those shit lofted kicks, which were almost passed to De Gea?

My biggest problem with him apart from the mistakes is that I just don't think he's being pushed hard enough in training or getting a telling to by his team mates/Ole.

He's done so fantastically well in the previous 4-5 years that he's been given this rdiculous long leash, status within the club and protection from the manager that that he just doesn't have a competitive streak or strive to do better.

it's almost like 'Dave is Dave, he'll do good, cool cool' and leave him alone. Let's over protect him by running into our own penalty box because he likes to stick on his line. Let's load our penalty box for set pieces, whilst running backwards because he likes to stick on his line. Let's just give him some simple training drills, keep him fit because he's just naturally calm and acrobatic.

I recognise complacency when I see it. He's like a blunt knife. There's no edge to his game anymore. That bit of anger he showed to Vardy was almost comical because it's arguably the most passion he's shown all season for yet another feck up from his.

I don't think Henderson is the answer but I'm all for bringing him in just to give De Gea some genuine competition and 'freshness' around the place. Romero is a more than capable player and deserves more starts but his position is very firmly 'no.2'.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

2.7 Goals prevented by Dave
2.4 prevented by Alisson in fewer games
Henderson 5.9 goals prevented
Ederson 3.1 goals prevented
I've not seen full games but i've seen 15 minute highlights for a *ton* of Liverpool and Man City games this season. So all the goals and good chances. I'm very skeptical of this stat.

I can't remember more than a couple of insane saves by DDG this season (saves I wouldn't expect another keeper to make), and definitely 4 or more goals he has conceded which were saveable. The eye test tells me net negative. Ederson has made some good saves and some big mistakes too. Probably better than ddg but not flawless. I thought his job as a sweeper might be behind this but that usually results in a tackle before a shot, so that shouldn't inflate his stats. Allison was flawless in whatever I saw until a slightly bad pass after they'd already won the title. Made the saves he'd be expected to, no obvious mistakes.

I also saw a post in this thread that DDG was actually an avergae keeper all along since his xGS stats in the LvG and Jose years were poor. DDG 2012-18 was the best I've seen. He did one or two questionable things in a full year and made a wondersave every few matches. Unquestionably a massive net positive. And except for 17-18 apparently his stats aren't good.

So either
1. my eyes need to be checked
2. the quality of shots is variable enough that this metric doesn't capture actual goalkeeper performance. (For example, the shot on the turn near the end of the Leicester game was from very close and would probably be a big net positive for DDG but was actually totally tame).

edit- i probably underestimated DDG's season. Won us the points in a few games based on this (Leicester, Sheffield, Man City). One thing that he still does well (when not messing up totally) is pushing the ball away from danger/holding it if possible.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Okay so totally out of context I know for a one minute clip..but anyone annoyed by that 'training' drill? The feck was those shit lofted kicks, which were almost passed to De Gea?
Wasn't this a pre match warmup?
When they were taining ebfore the restart, they released some videos and he was doing harder stuff in those. The end of this one for example.

criticalanalysis

Wasn't this a pre match warmup?
When they were taining ebfore the restart, they released some videos and he was doing harder stuff in those. The end of this one for example.
It probably was but read the rest of my post! That clip you showed is probably a good example of what I'm trying to say. It was a fairly high temp training session and he's up for it, so he's performing well.

During the regular season, I fear he's just not getting anything from training, from his team mates or the manager. It's like he just needs a massive slap on his back before the game to wake him up.

His calmness when our goal was geting peppered was quality but now it's like a liability. He's too meek and subdued. There's no fire or quiet intensity. It's going through the emotions.

Why is he not getting drills to come off his line, or getting yelled at by our club captain etc? All these factors are enabling his current form.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
During the regular season, I fear he's just not getting anything from training, from his team mates or the manager. It's like he just needs a massive slap on his back before the game to wake him up.

Why is he not getting drills to come off his line, or getting yelled at by our club captain etc? All these factors are enabling his current form.
I am not sure how you know any of that tbh. It might be that he's doing all that at a monstrous level in training and can't translate it in matches, IDK.

His calmness when our goal was geting peppered was quality but now it's like a liability. He's too meek and subdued. There's no fire or quiet intensity. It's going through the emotions.
I think the probem is that he's nervous. Mentally he's gone since the World Cup. He can still make those reflex saves but it's less often, and many of the mistakes he makes are not technical but just straight blunders. I was hoping we'd re-hire the LvG goalkeeping coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.