Player Agent: Relatives
Squad Number: #1
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Contract option: Option for a further year
Date of last contract extension: Sep 16, 2019
Sponsor: Adidas​

Last edited:

EwanI Ted

Make or break season for him probably. It’s hard to judge whether he’ll be able to get his form back because it’s hard to identify what’s gone wrong. If a player is coming back from injury, it’s probably just a matter of time. If he’s 35 and getting slow, you know he probably won’t improve. But De Geas problem is harder to put your finger on. Concentration? Footwork? Training? Problems at home?

Whats true though is that, as the best paid player in the country right now, we should have high expectations for him. Being average isn’t enough.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
I posted this some weeks ago, but it didn't catch up. But I've been thinking about it for some time.

Anyone remember what Pep said about breaking the code with Messi? He instructed the team to pass Messi the ball atleast every third pass (iirc). Messi needed to be involved to reach his rythm.
Could well be the same with De Gea. He does well if kept busy. So he should play for a more defensiveminded side. Just a theory.
Did we concede more shots against us in the period when he was good? Because the stats in total are about the same.
Year - games/conceded goals:

19/20 - 43/44 (15 clean sheets)
18/19 - 47/63 (10 clean sheets)
17/18 - 46/35 (22 clean sheets)
16/17 - 45/40 (16 clean sheets)
15/16 - 49/48 (19 clean sheets)
14/15 - 43/43 (14 clean sheets)
13/14 - 52/55 (20 clean sheets)
12/13 - 41/42 (12 clean sheets)

So apart from 18/19 being horrible and 17/18 being brilliant, the games to goals ratio is in pretty good balance. So is he getting worse but conceding fewer shots, so the stats don't show it? And if this is the case, could it all come down to concentration lapse when being unoccupied prior to chances?

Reactions: Invictus

kundalini

I posted this some weeks ago, but it didn't catch up. But I've been thinking about it for some time.

Did we concede more shots against us in the period when he was good? Because the stats in total are about the same.

So apart from 18/19 being horrible and 17/18 being brilliant, the games to goals ratio is in pretty good balance. So is he getting worse but conceding fewer shots, so the stats don't show it? And if this is the case, could it all come down to concentration lapse when being unoccupied prior to chances?
Here are various stats regarding De Gea but they are done by competition: https://fbref.com/en/players/7ba6d84e/David-de-Gea

His save percentage in the PL was 78.4% in his first season at United, then 77.2%, 69.1%, 71.7%, 70.3%, 75.7%, 80.7%, 71.6%, 73.6%

The stats for other competitions are available on the link I mentioned above, also the number of shots on target and the number of saves. I imagine it would be possible to add the various competitions together to get the number of shots on target De Gea faced during each season, to find the answer to your question. On closer inspection, they don't appear to have stats for domestic Cup competitions for the early De Gea years.

2019/20 - 150 shots on target (all competitions - 43 games), 44 goals conceded, 109 saves
2018/9 - 200 (PL + CL - 47 games), 63 goals conceded, 147 saves (I'm surprised that the numbers appear to indicate a lot of own goals this particular season)
2017/8 - 169 (PL + CL + FA - 45 games), 33 goals conceded, 140 saves
2016/7 - 129 (PL + EL + EFL only - 43 games), 40 goals conceded, 90 saves
2015/6 - 157 (PL + CL + EL only - 42 games), 43 goals conceded, 114 saves
2014/5 - 127 (PL only - 37 games), 36 goals conceded, 91 saves
2013/4 - 170 (PL + CL only - 47 games), 52 goals conceded, 118 saves
2012/3 - 136 shots on target (PL + CL only - 35 games), 34 goals conceded, 102 saves
2011/2 - 168 (PL + CL + EL only - 37 games), 43 goals conceded, 125 saves

(apologies if I've made any errors calculating the above figures)

From other calculations I have done, De Gea has been an average (10th to 12th) PL keeper for the last 2 seasons. Fbref (link above) also provide stats for sweeper keeper and dealing with crosses, so you can get a sense of an individual keeper's approach to the role. Compared to other PL keepers, De Gea makes a minimal attempt to act as a sweeper keeper and deal with crosses.

I suspect that De Gea's inner confidence took a huge hit due to his errors during the World Cup. Since then the stress of the situation has got to him far more than it used to.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

It can't be a coincidence that he was godly while our defence was shit and now the reverse has happened. If we trace back his dip in form to the WC in between then and now was still games like against Spurs which was a throw back to our goal getting peppered with shots where he was the DDG of old

Or maybe it is a coincidence and his reflexes just aren't what they were? Who knows but this has got to be his final chance

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It can't be a coincidence that he was godly while our defence was shit and now the reverse has happened. If we trace back his dip in form to the WC in between then and now was still games like against Spurs which was a throw back to our goal getting peppered with shots where he was the DDG of old
Doesn't really stand true for 18/19. It was the season our entire defensive shape went to shit and it was also the season De Gea's form went to shit. Especially in the last two months which was his worst form of all and he cost us CL qualification. Then this season our defence got it's act together again but De Gea continued being average (at best).

The Spurs match is really the only truly great performance that he's had in these last two years where he looked like he did previously.

edcunited1878

So here's a question....how many points would a prime DDG earn United this past year? 5 to 10 points? That's about 76 points max for the team.

Big picture: he can be better and closer to his peak United years...but United still wouldn't be challenging for the league. Why? Because they have to score more goals across 38 league matches. Period.

Chief123

Absolutely world class save from De Gea form Sane’s shot there!

He’s made a number of good saves already. Looking like his old self. Wondering if the pressure of Henderson is going to raise his game this season!

IrishMcD

Hope he finds his form again, I'm not Hendersons biggest fan. Think he is being massively over rated, but I'd gladly be proven wrong. I just think he fails to hold onto shots and palms shots back out into dangerous areas.
De Gea playing really well tonight.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
De Gea shaved his head reminds me of early United days :drool:

Good saves, keeping Spain in the game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
De Gea shaved his head reminds me of early United days :drool:

Good saves, keeping Spain in the game.
Not watching the game but as I've said before maybe he needs to be involved in the game for him to perform, maybe having very little to do in a game effects his concentration

marktan

My boy's going to send Henderson back to league 1 this season.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Not watching the game but as I've said before maybe he needs to be involved in the game for him to perform, maybe having very little to do in a game effects his concentration
Yes, Dave tends to have great games when he’s busy from the start. He often lose concentration when there’s not so much to do.

Gibb11

around 85 minute he was at fault at a corner after the German headed over. De Gea should have dealt with it as it was to near him, should have been a goal really for Germany

BorisManUtd

Yep, his best performances came in games where we were defending mostly. Tottenham away in 2018/19 and Arsenal in 2017/18 first come to mind, though it's not just those 2 games but ever since 2013/14 season, even before probably.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How was his distribution and role in their build up play tonight?

Amir

Yep, his best performances came in games where we were defending mostly. Tottenham away in 2018/19 and Arsenal in 2017/18 first come to mind, though it's not just those 2 games but ever since 2013/14 season, even before probably.
To be fair, those are always going to be a goalkeeper's most remembered matches. No one will remember a match in which he had maybe one save to make and did it well.

I'm sure De Gea had a lot more matches like this.

arthurka

How was his distribution and role in their build up play tonight?
He had some great kicks up to the left wing in front of a runner. All in all he had a very good game, one fantastic save and couple of good ones with guys feet. Very solid match.

led_scholes

It adds nothing to the thread but i just saw that in the profile the last thing is the sponsor. It just feels odd to see the sponsor in the profile of a player like it is an important aspect of his game.

Just an observation..

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He had some great kicks up to the left wing in front of a runner. All in all he had a very good game, one fantastic save and couple of good ones with guys feet. Very solid match.
Cheers. I'm glad he's back to #1 for Spain. Hopefully he plays with more confidence this season.

Looked very good in that video. Is Kepa his only rival for the Spanish no 1?

He looked confident, and his passing was good. Positive for the upcoming season.

-Supreme-

Can we trust De Gea even if he manages to win the battle this season, given that Henderson will most likely be sold and his competition will revert back to a number 2 that won’t realistically challenge his spot.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Looked very good in that video. Is Kepa his only rival for the Spanish no 1?

He looked confident, and his passing was good. Positive for the upcoming season.
I maybe be wrong here, I think Luis Enrique preferred De Gea as #1, the other guy who replaced him for some time preferred Kepa. Now that Luis Enrique is back, De Gea is starting again.

Jonno

Seeing him play well like that, just makes me think - is this a United thing? Maybe if he went to another top club he would be rid of his errors?

Classical Mechanic

Seeing him play well like that, just makes me think - is this a United thing? Maybe if he went to another top club he would be rid of his errors?
He lost his place for Spain to Kepa (of all players) due to terrible form. His awful showing at the last World Cup was the catalyst for his decline since then. It's psychological. Hopefully Henderson breathing down his neck will get him back to his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.