Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie_ni

It's not a new tactic. It's what any good coach will tell you. Make sure you cover your near post. Free kick takers also consider the position of the keeper and the wall.
Why do you cover your near post? Because it's the shortest distance for the ball to travel. Keepers get beaten by the pace of the ball. If it's slow they can cover the ground and get to it.
In this case if he was one step to the right he will either save it or else the kicker would have to direct it to the far post over the wall and bend it too and he would have time to get to it. These are fine margins of course. One step is between a goal and a save.
Find me an example if what your saying. You've yet to do it.

One video, one still picture, just one

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's not a new tactic. It's what any good coach will tell you. Make sure you cover your near post. Free kick takers also consider the position of the keeper and the wall.
Why do you cover your near post? Because it's the shortest distance for the ball to travel. Keepers get beaten by the pace of the ball. If it's slow they can cover the ground and get to it.
In this case if he was one step to the right he will either save it or else the kicker would have to direct it to the far post over the wall and bend it too and he would have time to get to it. These are fine margins of course. One step is between a goal and a save.
Again... No keeper in world football does this

No keeper in world football does this

No keeper in world football

No keeper in world

No keeper

No

So this is what madness is @arnie_ni

Foxbatt

Find me an example if what your saying. You've yet to do it.

One video, one still picture, just one
The video is still available on dazn. Just have a look. I don't care if you believe it or not.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
:lol: :lol: I'd love to see someone try it. It could actually work, but its not done
Aye it would be interesting... I imagine the fear is then a player could just leather the ball straight into the top corner on the near side without a wall to worry about... Or if we're looking at the position where JWPs was, a left-footer could strike the ball wall free into any corner he wants (assuming he can bend it well)

arnie_ni

The video is still available on dazn. Just have a look. I don't care if you believe it or not.
Of a keeper standing near post and putting his wall to block the far post?

Its not on dazn because its never happened

Foxbatt

Of a keeper standing near post and putting his wall to block the far post?

Its not on dazn because its never happened
You are misquoting me. I said one step to the right from where he started and then the wall one step to the left
If you are thinking thru your Hasenhuttl it's not my fault.

Red_toad

I fully agree. They are entitled to be completely wrong.
Indeed what a refreshingly insightful closed mind approach you have going there, lets close down a forum where people are allowed to have differing opinions as you're right and they are wrong.

Djemba-Djemba

He's had such a horrible 2 years or so that it's difficult to give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.

At his peak if those two goals go in you just shrug your shoulders and say never mind but now every goal we concede you look to see if De Gea should have done better. I've completely lost any confidence or faith in him so maybe I'm too critical .

I think ultimately though it was just two really good set pieces and there wasn't much De Gea could do.

Levenstein

Think when he would've just stood and not even tried to save that freekick, he would've get less stick than now :D Then it would have been "unsaveable"

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Sadler saves that free kick by standing where the free kick went and just catching it
If you are going to talk about me then don't be a p*ssy and hit the @ so I get notified.

The Ward-Prowse was a great shot. No fault on De Gea for that one. It was a perfect shot that curled just inside the post. De Gea even anticipated and shifted to his right but still couldn't get there. Absolutely no blame from me on that one. However, had he shifted his feet to the right a few days prior like he did yesterday (watch how he moves to his right yesterday), he would have saved that shot vs Istanbul...

Cavani double seals comeback win for the Reds! | Southampton 2-3 Manchester United | Premier League - YouTube

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
See this is where you may not understand. You need to get the wall where the ball has to travel the most distance. By putting the wall where he put it, he gave the opportunity for the free kick to be hit into the near post. He was far to his left. One step to the right he would have been in a good position. And he didn't move his feet quickly enough. I have seen the goals in lots of angles and slow motion too.
He is not to blame for the first goal at all.
You are absolutely, 100% wrong. Not even close to being right. You set up a wall to take away the nearest route to goal Do you know how easy it is to hit the ball up and over the wall and put it in far post as opposed to putting it up and over the wall and into the corner on near post? You ALWAYS set up the wall where he did on that free kick. And sometimes, a guy just takes a really good shot. But if I was taking a free kick from where Ward-Prowse was shooting from yesterday and you set up the wall to take away the far post and then set yourself up to take away the near post, I would easily bend it over the wall and score on your far post. There is a reason why the wall gets set up the way it does...

Last edited:

meamth

That was an inch perfect free kick, perfect hit, perfect curve, perfectly executed.

De Gea tried to save it, got to admire his determination there. I would've just stood there and watch it go in.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In terms of stats it's inconclusive.

So far this season he has officially made no errors leading to either a chance or a goal in the PL, as opposed to 1 for Allison (that didn't lead to a goal) and 2 for Ederson (one of which did lead to a goal). The worst keeper being Kepa, who made 3 errors which all resulted in goals.

However, De Gea hadn't made any errors after 10 gameweeks in his last two seasons either, so it's too early to tell really. His worst form in each of the last three seasons came in the second half, I think. So we won't really know until the season is finished.

In his best seasons he was only making one error that lead to a goal each season, whereas in the last two it was three or four. We'll see how he ends up this season.

Side note: those stats really put Kepa's awfulness into perspective. He's made a whole season's worth of bad-DeGea mistakes within three PL starts. :eek:
Where do you get your insight from?

Anyway, another interesting stat would be how many saves he makes vs goals. There is a stat on fbref that put him on the bottom of the table (% of shots saved I think), not sure how important that.

Sylar

Sorry Sadler, people like you dont deserve the @ because I can see youre after the attention.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Sorry Sadler, I didn't put the @ because even though I'm a keyboard warrior trapped in my mums basement, I'm still afraid to stand behind the posts that I make and didn't want you calling me out as I might wet myself
[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It seems he's having his worst season in last 5 years, way off what's been his "normal" service. In terms of % of shots saved, he's been in top 25% in each EPL season (4th, 6th, 1st, 2nd); so far this season he's 19th.

arnie_ni

Unless I've missed something, that's not what he is saying though?
Whats he saying then? Hes said de gea should set the wall to the furthest point and he should cover the nearest.

Ie wall to the far post and him near post

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
However, De Gea hadn't made any errors after 10 gameweeks in his last two seasons either, so it's too early to tell really. His worst form in each of the last three seasons came in the second half, I think. So we won't really know until the season is finished.
Last season I think he was about the same level all season. Average is probably the best way of putting it - not terrible but obviously nowhere near what he was at his best. 18/19 you'd definitely be right - he was average for the first half of the season then got worse and worse and was basically throwing the ball into our own net for the final month or two. 17/18 it was the opposite - he actually started that season looking a bit off-form for the first month or so but then went on to have arguably his best ever season.

Man Utd 1:3 PSG

Sylar

Really good save before we conceded the second goal.

We do seem to concede a lot from set pieces. Not sure if this is on him or not as I dont see training

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Had a couple of good saves, but he was poor on the Neymar goals. Second might be a bit harsh, but he was very casual getting back to close the gap. Should have slid in instead of jogging back and lazily reaching with his hand like he's picking up loose change.

Rajma

Made a very good save prior to their goal but it has to be said he’s awful at making himself big when players are through on goal.

arnie_ni

Thought DDG could have done better for their first goal tonight. Made a couple of decent stops though.
Especially when he pulled out that worldie just before they scored the 2nd. Similar type shot and save required.

No chance for the 2nd despite what 2 or 3 said in the match day thread.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Awful for the first goal. Angle was so tight and i'm not really sure what he was trying to do

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm personally looking forward to our next top class goal keeper (not next goal keeper).

I'm tired of all the corner goals and on the line reflex goals.

I want a goal keeper like Van Der Sar that aims to control his box.

Even if we let a few more direct goals, I think our defence will improve to reduce that goal amount to leave the imbalance not too frustrating.

Grande

I think people expecting him to save any of those goals are caught up in the heat of the moment. He positions himself right for the Neymar shot, which is perfectly placed and hard from a world class finisher on close range. He could have gotten lucky if the shot wasn’t perfectly placed above his feet and below his arm reach. He’s supposed to cover his nearest corner and throw his limbs out to get lucky, but a ball shot like that goes in ten out of ten times on every keeper.

The second is a shot from inside the five meter box. If you expect a keeper to take that, I’m lost for words. He even gets his leg out. Again, if it hits him it’s incredible luck and a brilliant save.

A part from that he had two very good saves, one of witch was brilliant and their greatest chance. And that’s about all he had to do until the game was wrapped.

And a bad miskick, as per not so unusual.

Chief123

You are misquoting me. I said one step to the right from where he started and then the wall one step to the left
If you are thinking thru your Hasenhuttl it's not my fault.
Reading your posts last couple of pages has just been like watching a hole getting rapidly bigger. :lol:

SambaBoy

Should've done better for the first goal. I wouldn't mind seeing Henderson being given a go at this point.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Neymar goal must be saved. A nice save later but also a horrible giveaway late on.
Like Martial, should be on the bench and work his way into form.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
This thread reeks of people expecting way to much. People expect him to makes saves most goalkeeper probably wouldn't save either. I am pleased with de Gea this season. Last years was a complete nightmare, but those regular mistakes seems to be in the past, so i have no complains. Our problems are not our goalkeeper, not even a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.