Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’d add that our first 3 games will be skewing our stats somewhat. Especially the Spurs game.
Yep, I thought that was the case for xG conceded but I wasn't sure if it applied to the saves stats you mentioned too. I would guess the 7-2 loss to Villa might have similar impact on Liverpool's stats.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I’d add that our first 3 games will be skewing our stats somewhat. Especially the Spurs game.
This stat is calculated as total number of saves / total number of shots on target, so I don't see a reason not to include Tottenham game. Granted two of those goals (Kane and Aurier) were probably out of his reach but the rest? I don't think so.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Sometimes, after a good flogging of the defenders for not closing the man down, you just have to acknowledge a great strike when it’s unsaveable, which this was.
It's a nice strike, but I still think De Gea from 2-3 years ago saves it. He has shown that he was capable of achieving the impossible.

I don't blame him for the goal. Neither of the goals were terrible ones to concede in my opinion.

Classical Mechanic

Sounds like we're doing well to be four points off top. :lol:
Indeed! Hopefully it all means we may start to improve as you suggest and get ‘lucky’ defensively a bit more often in future.

This stat is calculated as total number of saves / total number of shots on target, so I don't see a reason not to include Tottenham game. Granted two of those goals (Kane and Aurier) were probably out of his reach but the rest? I don't think so.
Our start to the season was significantly disrupted through no fault of the players. I don’t see that brief period as representative of their qualities compared to if they’d had a proper pre-season. It’s an anomaly in my opinion and I think the subsequent xG data backs that up. We were a lot worse than usual in simple terms.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Our start to the season was significantly disrupted through no fault of the players. I don’t see that brief period as representative of their qualities compared to if they’d had a proper pre-season. It’s an anomaly in my opinion and I think the subsequent xG data backs that up. We were a lot worse than usual in simple terms.
If you think this concerns De Gea as well then fair enough. I think he's pretty much on the same level since day one this season, I've not seen any evidence of improvement.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Are you seriously expecting the keeper to stand really close to the post in this situation ? :lol:
Since when is a step or two to his right "really close to the post"? What I expect him is to be in the right position when the ball is kicked and if you knew anything about angles you would know that where he was standing, wasn't it...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not at fault for the goals, but the DDG who makes insane saves that amazes you is gone. Makes good/great saves at time, but not the same level he was.
I think the second goal his positioning is so strange. Not sure why he's not in the middle of his goal.

But that bold one is so true. If we have the same DDG, our defense would have been look much more solid and people might not moan about it. I dare to say DDG the world class version would have save the 2nd goal with his leg.

This is what people are moaning right now about DDG, DDG performance is basically just the same as normal standard goalkeeper in PL but he's no longer world class. Just a goalkeeper who can make regular saves but won't give you crazy saves and match winner saves anymore. Not a 350k p/w keeper at all, his level right now pretty much not much different to Dean honestly aka normal standard goalkeeper in PL.

Number32

But that bold one is so true. If we have the same DDG, our defense would have been look much more solid and people might not moan about it. I dare to say DDG the world class version would have save the 2nd goal with his leg.
He was out of position to stop Perez. I think a world class version of De Gea would had full stretch to his right, and luckily catch the ball due to a deflection by Tuanzebe. He had a back problem since the Southampton's game though, but it can't be an excused. He used to make a gambling save, and that time had completely gone.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He was out of position to stop Perez. I think a world class version of De Gea would had full stretch to his right, and luckily catch the ball due to a deflection by Tuanzebe. He had a back problem since the Southampton's game though, but it can't be an excused. He used to make a gambling save, and that time had completely gone.
How is he going to stop Perez by going to near post? What is he going to accomplish by being in that position?

Hesdoneitagain

The Barnes strike was mint, right inside the post. Which keeper on the planet would have saved that?
The xG stat on that goal would indicate that most goalkeepers would have saved that shot. It was xG of 0.02 - 2 out of 100 shots go in. (Correct me if my understanding of that stat is wrong)

You can see from the goal that the keeper is standing in the middle of the goal. Maybe he expected the shot to go far post, which would be strange. Maybe he lot his bearing of where the post is, which would have been even stranger.

One thing for sure that was a shot that should have been saved and in my book it was a goalkeeping error.

lex talionis

The xG stat on that goal would indicate that most goalkeepers would have saved that shot. It was xG of 0.02 - 2 out of 100 shots go in. (Correct me if my understanding of that stat is wrong)

You can see from the goal that the keeper is standing in the middle of the goal. Maybe he expected the shot to go far post, which would be strange. Maybe he lot his bearing of where the post is, which would have been even stranger.

One thing for sure that was a shot that should have been saved and in my book it was a goalkeeping error.
I do not challenge your understanding of xG, but I do ask you to look at the still frame more carefully. De Gea did in fact shade to the right, but it was a powerful shot that would have beaten any keeper on the planet today, Neuer and Alisson included.

The more interesting question is whether that shot would have beaten De Gea of 5 seasons ago, who was stopping even more outrageous shots. Maybe yes, and of all the keepers I’ve watched over the last decade the De Gea of 5 seasons ago was easily the best shot stopper of the last decade and of the greatest of all time (but he has other weaknesses in his game, now and then). That De Gea is gone, but for purposes of this question there’s no keeper on the planet today who’s the equal of De Gea as a shot stopper of 5 seasons ago. It would have been an outrageous save for Dave to make, and although he’s still a very good shot stopper, no chance in hell does he, nor Alisson or Neuer, stop that Barnes shot.

NinjaFletch

Yes, it is. It means that 2 out of 100 shots taken from that position on the pitch will go in. It tells you nothing about how well that particular shot itself was hit. All long range efforts have a low xG, but it doesn't mean that all of them are therefore goalkeeping errors if they go in.

TrustInOle

I may be wrong, but I think this suggests how hard the shot was for Barnes to score from, as in, 2 out of 100 go in. He just struck it brilliantly is all. Personally don't think he was at fault for that.

RedDevil@84

If only De Gea was standing at the right place, jumped at the right time, all the time, he could have saved all of them.

Classical Mechanic

Yes, it is. It means that 2 out of 100 shots taken from that position on the pitch will go in. It tells you nothing about how well that particular shot itself was hit. All long range efforts have a low xG, but it doesn't mean that all of them are therefore goalkeeping errors if they go in.
FBref record a stat called PSxG which gives the shot an xG rather than the position the chance occurred in, their model also accounts for defensive pressure.

The PSxG for that shot was 0.1 so 1 in 10 shots go in from that quality of shot and under that defensive pressure. I’d add that I don’t think it can account for DDG being unsighted by that defensive pressure. That’s the only defence for him conceding from that shot.

https://fbref.com/en/matches/33c8b5...hester-United-December-26-2020-Premier-League

You could say we were unlucky to draw that game because Leicester has one shot on target and scored two goals.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Good performance from him. Excellent save in the first half. Did what he needed to do.

Idxomer

Good saves but it's really annoying playing with a keeper who won't come off his line.

That ball in the 1st half, he was rooted to the post.

ManRed

David DeGod is slowly showing signs of his comeback. Much better positioning today.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Good saves but it's really annoying playing with a keeper who won't come off his line.

Even the ball over the top into the right channel where it seemed like 10 minutes before a Wolves player got onto it and I was losing my freaking mind that he was nowhere near coming to clear it.

Get In Scholesy

Kept us in the game. If we conceded any of those chances we would have really struggled coming back from that. We hardly created anything in the final third.

Saved us from a Nuno masterclass.

always_hoping

Dave was back to best tonight, some will say they were all routine saves but let's be honest he conceded plenty of goals in the last 12 months that should have been routine saves.

Red00012

I was waiting and waiting for him to appear on the left of my tv screen :eek:

Red00012

Best performance of the season

I hope it’s the pressure Henderson is putting him under

Status
Not open for further replies.