Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Did nothing wrong today, did well to stop them scoring after the Maguire incident. 0 blame whatsoever for their goal, anyone claiming otherwise is reaching and has an agenda.

Virror

Good save in the second half, although maguire probably just should have passed him the ball if he shouted for it. Still a problem on set pieces and crosses, nothing new

largelyworried

A high cross to the six yard box is the keepers all day long, he should have taken it. Did at least come up with some good moments later on.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Oh feck off that was 100% Lindelof being a wimp. DDG saved our asses today !

At the end of the day, when you're leaving it up to the defenders to win headers on their own 6 yard line then, up against big powerful forwards, they can't be expected to win every header, and when they don't win it, from that close in its more than likely to be a goal.

Whereas if the keeper comes for those (I'm not saying every cross by the way, I'm saying when it's that close in) he has a much better chance of winning it because he can use his hands, and if even if he doesn't win it, 9 times out of ten he'll get a free-kick.

Hitting a cross too close to the keeper is generally considered to be a poor cross but against us it's a fecking great cross because u know for a fact De Gea isn't coming for it.

It's basic stuff which is why I'm so baffled that the £375,000 a week statue gets away with never doing it.

Based Adnan

Baffling how people don't realize our keeper being happy to stay on his line and let his defenders take on 1v1s in the 6 yard area is an issue

Ace of Spades

Not a player you can criticize today. When you have a header point blank at you, which should have been stopped by your CB, you can't take fault
You can as the cross was there to be caught, it was just a floaty punt that the keeper should have claimed.

Based Adnan

Not a player you can criticize today. When you have a header point blank at you, which should have been stopped by your CB, you can't take fault
Of course you can. The cross was in his 6 yard area. It shouldn't have even got to the point where the header was being challenged as he should have been off his line to clear the cross.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He and Lindelof both had chances to prevent the goal, but ultimately it was a foul and never should have stood.

Did well to stop West Brom's striker scoring, who inexplicably got MOTM after missing three sitters (two in the same phase of play) and raking his studs down Rashford's ankle.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
You can as the cross was there to be caught, it was just a floaty punt that the keeper should have claimed.
Of course you can. The cross was in his 6 yard area. It shouldn't have even got to the point where the header was being challenged as he should have been off his line to clear the cross.
So on that basis, Lindelof is taken off the hook here, as he shows no authority to head the ball away convincingly? The fact he had a good metre or more ahead to do his job?

He was at fault at Everton, 100% for not closing down Calvert-Lewin. But that goal is a basic for a CB who has the advantage to get it away, and the GK to have confidence in him doing so.

Based Adnan

So on that basis, Lindelof is taken off the hook here, as he shows no authority to head the ball away convincingly? The fact he had a good metre or more ahead to do his job?

He was at fault at Everton, 100% for not closing down Calvert-Lewin. But that goal is a basic for a CB who has the advantage to get it away, and the GK to have confidence in him doing so.
Why are you making up things that were never said? This is the De Gea thread.

As the poster mentioned above, your defenders are never going to win all of their duels in the 6 yard area. The fact our keeper is happy to let the defenders be challenged in his 6 yard area instead of being a little proactive and taking the pressure off them by coming out is an issue. It always has been with De Gea and it's not restricted to just the game today.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Why are you making up things that were never said? This is the De Gea thread.

As the poster mentioned above, your defenders are never going to win all of their duels in the 6 yard area. The fact our keeper is happy to let the defenders be challenged in his 6 yard area instead of being a little proactive and taking the pressure off them by coming out is an issue. It always has been with De Gea and it's not restricted to just the game today.
It's a question of his decision making, so I put the onus on the defender who should have easily covered it, over the goalie who made a judgement call to trust him.

With the pundits and commentators keen to criticize de Gea this season, did you hear anyone mention his decision in not doing so?

Based Adnan

It's a question of his decision making, so I put the onus on the defender who should have easily covered it, over the goalie who made a judgement call to trust him.

With the pundits and commentators keen to criticize de Gea this season, did you hear anyone mention his decision in not doing so?
I don't care what pundits or commentators say unless they were a GK themselves.

If you think it's okay for our keeper to stay rooted to his spot and let his defenders take on the responsibility in the 6 yard area then you carry on thinking that. Funny how you phrase it as him having confidence/making a judgement call for his defence to clear it rather him being scared shitless to be proactive and come off his line as well.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If De Gea comes out but the player still scores will you say he should have stayed on the line? Maybe he put the defender off and should have just left it? To me it's a foul anyway so it's a moot point. It's a joke the goal stood to begin with. How many defenders do you need in the box before you need a goalkeeper to do a defenders job for them? You cannot blame the goalkeeper for something he is not. Maybe we can question his coaches.

Based Adnan

If De Gea comes out but the player still scores will you say he should have stayed on the line? To me it's a foul anyway so it's a moot point. It's a joke the goal stood to begin with. How many defenders do you need in the box before you need a goalkeeper to do a defenders job for them?
If De Gea comes for a cross like that in his 6 yard area and misses it then we have bigger GK issues than I thought

I agree it's a foul (and Lindelof should also have been stronger) but I don't think it's a moot point as it shouldn't have got to the situation where our defender is being challenged in the 6 yard area in the first place.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’ve been critical of him but it seems harsh to blame him today. Lindelof was weak and mauled by their forward, he could’ve and perhaps should’ve come out and made himself big but we know by now that isn’t his game.

Bristol_Red_87

If De Gea comes out but the player still scores will you say he should have stayed on the line?
Personally I'd prefer a keeper who is confident and capable of coming and taking everything. DDG has never been that keeper, and we've seemingly always been happy to be hamstrung by this ineptitude in his game.

Sylar

Personally I'd prefer a keeper who is confident and capable of coming and taking everything. DDG has never been that keeper, and we've seemingly always been happy to be hamstrung by this ineptitude in his game.
This is fair. Think this is also why opposition target us on set pieces as they know the keeper is not gonna come out and collect or clear things to start a counter.

There was a moment in the second half where wba had 11 men behind the ball, booted it clear and Bruno had to run back and retrieve it in our half and I'm thinking where is the keeper as he's not even in the picture (we could see to the keepers box)

criticalanalysis

Didn't do anything wrong for their goal per se but he'll get criticism any time he stays on his line and the opposition score. Even when the CB was perfectly positioned to deal with it.

Very good goalkeeping after the Maguire mistake.

Not a game that should really alter anyone's opinion of him in any direction.
It was a very good save. However, I was wondering why the feck didn't he give Maguire a call for a pass back.

I know it's harsh in this isolated incident and it was 100% Maguire's fault but fundamentally speaking, De Gea should have been on the edge of his 6 yard box/called for it in any case. Perhaps he did and in that case I missed it.

You can't help but think Maguire perhaps overcompensated by not wanting to put pressure on De Gea with a pass back and try to outmuscle/delay the pass. It's not the first instance of where we are deeper/dallying in the box because of it.

It's one of those things where, yes he did well but it could have been easier. A bit like Lindelof, where he was fouled but it should have been cleared or not got to that situation.

It's not a particular criticism of De Gea in this game or these specific incidents but just an observation of how these subtleties (or not) have a knock on effect.

AKDevil

Would blame Lindelof for that goal today but, at same time, a keeper who is happy to come off his line deals with that. Looping cross, that close to goal and headed at the height it was, he could have come and dealt with that.

The Oracle

Maguire has already confirmed in his post-match interview that the referee told him it would have been a free-kick had De Gea not done the double save. So the double save from De Gea was completely irrelevant.

However, what was relevant is De Gea's refusal to come off his line to collect/parry crosses that are whipped in right on the 6 yard line of his box.
It puts the defenders under massive pressure to clear the ball - because if the striker wins the header then the chances are the ball ends up in the back of the net due to it being so close to goal.

There is argument that Lindelof should have been stronger in the aerial challenge, and to be fair it was definitely a foul.

But the simple truth is, if De Gea comes out to collect/parry the cross, then the goal would not have happened.

We must be the only club in the top 4 divisions of English football, that has a goalkeeper who refuses to collect any crosses that are 6 yards away from the goal.

De Gea should have moved on several years ago.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maguire has already confirmed in his post-match interview that the referee told him it would have been a free-kick had De Gea not done the double save. So the double save from De Gea was completely irrelevant.

However, what was relevant is De Gea's refusal to come off his line to collect/parry crosses that are whipped in right on the 6 yard line of his box.
It puts the defenders under massive pressure to clear the ball - because if the striker wins the header then the chances are the ball ends up in the back of the net due to it being so close to goal.

There is argument that Lindelof should have been stronger in the aerial challenge, and to be fair it was definitely a foul.

But the simple truth is, if De Gea comes out to collect/parry the cross, then the goal would not have happened.

We must be the only club in the top 4 divisions of English football, that has a goalkeeper who refuses to collect any crosses that are 6 yards away from the goal.

De Gea should have moved on several years ago.
First goal was painfully weak goalkeeping. It wasn’t even whipped in hard and fast. Fecking cross was looped so high in the air there are Sunday league keepers who would have made a comfortable catch. Honestly don’t think there’s another keeper in the league who stays standing right under his crossbar in that scenario.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's getting quite bad. The attack where Niles fecked up, he should have come up. His starting position was entirely wrong.

The goal, he should have come out and grabbed it.

This is such a common scenario now he fecks it up every single match. About time , we bed in Hendo .

DoomSlayer

It's like he is never prepared for a dangerous cross in the box, I don't understand his decision making at all.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Not many other defenders are expected to have to win every single header on their own six yard box though, this is the point.

When it's that close in, the keeper should be commanding that area and using his height advantage/presence. Most keepers do, it's basic goalkeeping.

I think the two positions are linked massively and I honestly think we could have prime Vidic and Rio and we would still concede goals.

De Gea doesn't come for crosses that 99% of other top level keepers come for, by the law of averages you're going to concede a lot of goals no matter who your centre backs are with a keeper like that.

With the exception of Phil Jones, the dury is still out for me on all of our center backs because I refuse to judge them playing with a keeper who gives them zero assistance.
On top of that, he's meant to be one of the experienced players, the leaders, you could forgive some of this a bit more of he was a young player, learning his trade.

If it's just a coincidence that every single centre back we have signed since De Gea became our keeper has been garbage then fair enough, maybe that's actually true.
This still wouldn't explain why he was still shocking for Spain too though, mostly with Gerard Pique and Sergio Ramos in front of him.
At the last world cup, his performance was officially recorded as the worst by a goalkeeper in over 50 years.
He gets found out now, the higher level he goes.
Look at our last two champions League exits, huge blunders by him both times.
Every time we get a bit of momentum going now, it's normally him that kills it.

He gets away with poor performances way more than any other player I've seen in all my years watching football, which is a lot.

Fair play to his agent, the guy is clearly a genius.

Red & White

He did better today and made a couple of good saves. We all want him to come out and take balls into the box but I get the impression that ship may have sailed now as he’s been around a while. It’s a hard skill to add to your game if you’ve not always been doing it so I don’t know where we go from here.

After seeing Alison and Lloris make mistakes this weekend, you wonder whether goalkeeping errors are starting to become more of a thing in modern football. Still, I’d like to see Henderson given a run but I can’t see that happening due to De gea’s wages, unless he was literally throwing them in his own net each week.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Did nothing wrong today, did well to stop them scoring after the Maguire incident. 0 blame whatsoever for their goal, anyone claiming otherwise is reaching and has an agenda.
Anyone claiming he has 0 blame obviously never played as a keeper before. His positioning was horrible. He should have been near the edge of his 6 as the player was going to cross it and then should have easily punched or caught that floater. To most they will look at it and say De Gea had no chance. For those of us who know the position we also know that the 6 yard box is the keepers area. You can't depend on your defenders to win 100% of the balls and a header won by the opposition from that close and on target will likely end as a goal. So you have to martial your six yard box. So no, it won't go don't as a "De Gea mistake" but he definitely could have and should have prevented it...Henderson would have...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Baffling how people don't realize our keeper being happy to stay on his line and let his defenders take on 1v1s in the 6 yard area is an issue
It's because agendas work both ways. Some people have agendas against certain players and others have agendas for certain players. In some people's eyes De Gea is only ever at fault if it's a blatant mistake. For me, being a United keeper means a lot more than "not making mistakes". De Gea used to win us games. We would walk away with 3 points when we should have had 0. He hasn't done that in a long time. He was brutal for their goal today. Lindelof is going to take some blame too, but you also have to give their player credit for doing everything he can to win that header. At the end of the day though, it's a floated ball into the 6 yard box. De Gea should be on that and it would even had been an issue. Henderson would have...

Eternitiy

Henderson and Romero have been treated very unfairly by this club. Really dread to see de Gea's name on the lineup these days. I was a great supporter of his when he first came to the club and was delighted we persisted with him when he adjusted to English football and developed into one of the best keepers in the world. However, that was long ago. He's been dreadful and has held us back since 2018/2019. How is it not clear to our management that his best days are behind him? It really distresses me.

croadyman

Will be straight back into the team against Newcastle next Sunday no matter how Deano plays on Thurs

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did well in the second half, but h really needs to come off his line to claim crosses in and around the 6 yard box, like the cross off which we conceded yesterday.

The thing is, should he come off his line, and unless he absolutely makes a howler, like not getting nothing on the ball, he'll always have the advantage. A touch by attacker on him, would most likely see the goal chalked off for a foul

Kostov

At the end of the day, when you're leaving it up to the defenders to win headers on their own 6 yard line then, up against big powerful forwards, they can't be expected to win every header, and when they don't win it, from that close in its more than likely to be a goal.

Whereas if the keeper comes for those (I'm not saying every cross by the way, I'm saying when it's that close in) he has a much better chance of winning it because he can use his hands, and if even if he doesn't win it, 9 times out of ten he'll get a free-kick.

Hitting a cross too close to the keeper is generally considered to be a poor cross but against us it's a fecking great cross because u know for a fact De Gea isn't coming for it.

It's basic stuff which is why I'm so baffled that the £375,000 a week statue gets away with never doing it.
A Manchester United CB is not expected to win every header? Yeah that is perfectly fine, even Vidic lost some headers. But that was a header a Manchester United CB must win with a player on his back, or it is a goal, don't tell me a Manchester United CB expects to be saved by his goalkeeper since he can't handle your average PL striker.

Kostov

Baffling to blame it on DDG for not coming out for a cross when his CB is right in there and you would expect him to clear a simple fecking cross, not pussy out like a little bitch.

arthurka

This.. cross came from more than 10 meters outside of the box and put in with a spin and no real pace. He should have come out and dealt with it a keeper playing for Utd should at least be capable of that. It's becoming a huge issue as teams are using this weakness and that we have a weak defender in front of him. We cannot expect the offense to score three goals every game and even when we score three not to win.

Sylar

A Manchester United CB is not expected to win every header? Yeah that is perfectly fine, even Vidic lost some headers. But that was a header a Manchester United CB must win with a player on his back, or it is a goal, don't tell me a Manchester United CB expects to be saved by his goalkeeper since he can't handle your average PL striker.
But it was a foul which was missed by the ref and var. I would always expect a foul to be given there.

Lindelof should be stronger of course but there is one way to negate that, your keeper coming out and claiming a cross which wasn't whipped in with pace and was a few steps or so from his line

We defend deep at times due to ddg positioning. If he's good enough or confident or strong enough to come and do that our defenders have leeway of being a few steps forward. It may also help in set pieces

Kostov

But it was a foul which was missed by the ref and var. I would always expect a foul to be given there.
No it was not a foul, stop making excuses for shit performances by average players.

Goal at 24 seconds

Watch this and tell me that's a foul/

Lindelof should be stronger of course but there is one way to negate that, your keeper coming out and claiming a cross which wasn't whipped in with pace and was a few steps or so from his line
Lindelof must be stronger and win that header in front of the striker, the same arguments you use for DDG not going out and catch it, count for Lindelof was too slow and too weak to clear a simple fecking header.

We defend deep at times due to ddg positioning. If he's good enough or confident or strong enough to come and do that our defenders have leeway of being a few steps forward. It may also help in set pieces
We often defend deep because Lindelof refuses to commit to any sort of defending and just backpaddles in front of DDG and back in the box. I agree that DDG might not be good enough any more, but one thing is for sure, Lindelof never was and will never be good enough to start.

Sylar

I dont think we will win major trophies with lindelof
But he was fouled. When rival fans and pundits like soueness think so, then you know it's a foul. @Kostov

But this is the ddg thread hence why I'm focusing on him. Ddg in your own words should not pussy out like a bitch

Status
Not open for further replies.