Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Dunno. Can’t help but feel that a goalkeeper with better leadership and command of his area wouldn’t have had all those shots to attempt to save.

He made some nice saves, but did absolutely nothing to take control of our defensive area.
This is such bull, magically screaming at your defence wouldn't of helped Dean get anywhere near those shots.

Foxbatt

Dunno. Can’t help but feel that a goalkeeper with better leadership and command of his area wouldn’t have had all those shots to attempt to save.

He made some nice saves, but did absolutely nothing to take control of our defensive area.
What are you on about? There was nothing to command in those chances he saved.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
it’s really not, I’m not slagging him, he was masterful tonight, easily man of the match, but the defence just aren’t comfortable playing that deep which they have to do with a keeper who hates coming off his line.
The reason we started to collapse was due to replacing the full backs.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What are you on about? There was nothing to command in those chances he saved.
You could see a clear example early on when Shaw expected De Gea to be either coming out of his goal or making himself a clear target for the ball. With Henderson – or with virtually any top modern keeper – we would have been playing and defending with eleven men. With De Gea we have ten footballers and a shot stopper. Even just focussing on shot stopping, Henderson has been a cut above De Gea over the last year.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just posted in another thread that I was surprised De Gea wasn't being blamed for us conceding those chances. And here we are. :rolleyes:

Henderson does prevent more chances than De Gea. By sweeping more and by claiming more. Not by his sheer presence in the goal magically making our players do better.

In this case sweeping and claiming had nothing to do with it. We conceded those chances because (as anyone who watched the game should be able to recognise) a lot of our players played like shite.

"Dean would have prevented those chances" is a classic case of people twisting what happened in a game to fit the pre-existing narrative in their head. Maguire and Bailly could have started firing shots at De Gea themselves and someone would have said it was down to Dave not organising them properly.

Last edited:

Chicharo

Some of the excuses from DDG haters here... damn
Needs to start against Villareal. And the defense mustn't put him in such dangerous situations with their mistakes.

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The reason we started to collapse was due to replacing the full backs.
Ansolutely, but we weren’t solid in the first half either, I’m not saying he is a bad keeper, but he IS a keeper who needs a defence that are comfortable playing deep, ours isn’t, which is why we look more stable with Henderson, regardless of who is better, Henderson and our current defenders are more compatible. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ddg went to Spain or Italy for a deep defending side and looked godlike week on week out again.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some of the excuses from DDG haters here... damn
Needs to start against Sevilla. And the defense mustn't put him in such dangerous situations with their mistakes.
He'd have a job considering we're playing Villarreal.

Nicolarra90

I've been very critical of him recently, but credit where it's due.

That was a 10/10

Maybe it's what he needed, like shaw. Hope and see.

Foxbatt

Since how long has our defense been playing without DeGea for it to be that used to a different style of keeper?
Blaming DeGea for the goals and chances they created is complete bollocks.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Ole just called him "one of the greatest keepers in the world." So, I guess that settles it regarding the final
So it should, irrespective of which side of the debate you fall he got us to the final and should play in it

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
De Gea had a brilliant De Gea performance tonight. Amazing saves, incredible reflexes. He makes saves Henders can't, and Henderson is a good shot stopper himself.

But he got caught in absolute no man's land on one cross in the first half and that's always the part of his game that you don't have confidence in.

I do wonder if he rediscovers his elite level shot stopping and stone cold mentality, if he could be our #1 for another few years yet.

Chicharo

I guess I got used to playing Sevilla, thus the slip. :D Hopefully it won't end up like it did when we actually played Sevilla.
Villareal will play not only for the trophy but for CL as well. But I still hope we won't have much trouble winning it.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just posted in another thread that I was surprised De Gea wasn't being blamed for us conceding those chances. And here we are. :rolleyes:

Henderson does prevent more chances than De Gea. By sweeping more and by claiming more. Not by his sheer presence in the goal magically making our players do better.

In this case sweeping and claiming had nothing to do with it. We conceded those chances because (as anyone who watched the game should be able to recognise) a lot of our players played like shite.

"Dean would have prevented those chances" is a classic case of people twisting what happened in a game to fit the pre-existing narrative in their head. Maguire and Bailly could have started firing shots at De Gea themselves and someone would have said it was down to Dave not organising them properly.
I think there was a clear, obvious moment early on when Shaw was evidently baffled by De Gea's passiveness. He expected his keeper to either come out to clear the ball or make himself available for the pass, and instead realised late on that neither was happening, at which point the Roma player dispossessed him.

lost7

I think there was a clear, obvious moment early on when Shaw was evidently baffled by De Gea's passiveness. He expected his keeper to either come out to clear the ball or make himself available for the pass, and instead realised late on that neither was happening, at which point the Roma player dispossessed him.
That was Shaw being too casual, not De Gea's fault at all

Mr Smith

At the end of the day he's still a quality keeper. I'm all for benching him when he's off form and giving Henderson a run as first choice, but calls to sell him are premature.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's worked out quite well that David has now become out EL keeper, can play in the final after missing out last time

berbasloth4

if we were better as a side and maybe won more trophies De Gea would go down as probably our best keeper ever. Proof is in the pudding he is still our No1

Eternitiy

So it should, irrespective of which side of the debate you fall he got us to the final and should play in it
Henderson played in the matches against Real Sociedad and Milan.

Ole also dropped Romero in the cups last year when we reached semi-finals despite being previously selected.

Dante

Average bang
He's a world class shot stopper.

But he's also the reason our defensive line was so deep this evening. We've not seen such a small gap between the CBs and GK in weeks. Every chance Roma had was point blank in the six yard area. As much as I love him, it was a reminder of why he's no longer first choice.

I've got no problem with people voting him MOTM based on what he did. But I'd knock him down a couple of points based on what he didn't do.

lysglimt

Scout
He is a much better goalkeeper than Henderson....as for blaming him for Roma creating chances ... it's not his fault that our players give the ball away 20-30 yards away from goal

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Great performance, some of the shot stopping was unreal.

Bristol_Red_87

Whether you're a Hendo or DDG fan (and I'm the former), surely you can recognise the latter was brilliant last night?

Reminded me a little of Arsenal in 2017 when I was in hysterics come the second half after DDG's 15th save.

Status
Not open for further replies.