Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsCallout

I posted this in the other thread. This is my take on it.

It's a fantastic delivery into a great area, the players to blame here are Shaw, for letting his man run again and Lindelof for being weak as piss again.

If you look at the trajectory of the ball and where the striker makes contact with the ball it is just about 8 or 9 yards out and about 3 feet off the ground. There's not much chance DDG can come for it there at that height.

The ideal height for him to claim is when it's coming toward the penalty spot. That's 6 or 8 yards away from his original position.

The ball is struck at 28.51 it hits their player at 28.53. He has about 1.5 seconds to make it from where he is to there. Is there anyone that can cover that distance from standing in under 2 seconds?

Where I would be super critical of DDG is on the save, once again he is diving backwards. He also pushes off the wrong foot, and because if that it's less of a dive and more of a backwards fall.
To me the problem is his starting position. That ball is only going one place and he's so deep. If he's further out, even if he can't catch it, he can close off the opportunity.

HailtotheKing

Because it was his goodbye present for being a great servant to the club. He went and fluffed the big send off but it was touching.
He didn't fluff it. Ole fluffed it by not subbing him for the penalties. Dave saves. But not penalties. Dumb decision. Manager with balls or intelligence makes it.

bsCallout

He didn't fluff it. Ole fluffed it by not subbing him for the penalties. Dave saves. But not penalties. Dumb decision. Manager with balls or intelligence makes it.
The goalkeeper didn't fluff it because he for a start made an awful clearance leading to their goal but most importantly is void of responsibility because the manager should know the Man united keeper of ten years can't save penalties and sub him in his last game?

Give it a rest. You lot are ridiculously boring.

Oranges038

To me the problem is his starting position. That ball is only going one place and he's so deep. If he's further out, even if he can't catch it, he can close off the opportunity.
He could be further out, but I have to think they've studied Parejo's delivery. I think he's afraid he'll do him by going for goal if he's further out.

bsCallout

He could be further out, but I have to think they've studied Parejo's delivery. I think he's afraid he'll do him by going for goal if he's further out.
If DDG didn't also have a bad start position I'd accept that. Is Parejo known for that sort of thing? Going for goal from far out?

DoomSlayer

I'm praying some club relieves our pain and buys De Gea, I'd even give him away for free if the decision was up to me.

Hopefully this is the last game I ever see him with a Manchester United shirt on.

Oranges038

If DDG didn't also have a bad start position I'd accept that. Is Parejo known for that sort of thing? Going for goal from far out?
From memory he has taken on shots from around that distance before, I can only assume that somewhere in DDG's thinking there is that fear of being too far out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If that's true, makes the decision to start with De Gea even more bizarre.

If Ole has more faith in Henderson, he should have played. We're not a charity giving out opportunities to players because it's their last hurrah.
Tbf there could be other reasons too. They have different skillsets and he might have thought De Gea was better for this specific game anyway. Backing Henderson next season doesn't mean he's so convinced by him right now that De Gea can't be a better option for some games. He just has to opt for one over the other in the long run.

Born2Lose

Is anyone apportioning any blame to him for the goal? Looking at how high our defensive line started and where Moreno eventually made contact (maybe 8 or 9 yards out) I’m not sure if De Gea couldn’t have dealt with it. Maybe I’m being overly critical
I'm not saying he saves it, but Henderson comes off his line at least. The advantage opposition teams have knowing that De Gea won't is clear.

mu4c_20le

If that's true, makes the decision to start with De Gea even more bizarre.

If Ole has more faith in Henderson, he should have played. We're not a charity giving out opportunities to players because it's their last hurrah.
Henderson looked shaky recently. Purely a professional decision.

BFernandes

Henderson looked shaky recently. Purely a professional decision.
Any mistakes that Henderson may have made recently surely is dwarfed by the amount of gaffs that De Gea has given us in the last 2 to 3 years?

I'm not saying Henderson is the answer, but to drop him the moment he has a shaky game when we've had to put up with the absolute crap that De Gea has served up over a long stretch seems a bit odd to me. One of the big reasons we were in the Europa instead of the Champions League was De Gea's shambolic performance out in Germany when it really mattered.

La Pioche

Maybe i‘m the only one here with my opinion but Dave is still a far better keeper than Deano. It‘s a shame that he has to go with such a last game. We just weren‘t good enough. It was not his fault.

Anustart89

What it boils down to is that not hurting de Gea's feelings was more important than winning a trophy to Ole.

Hard to blame him, he is the keeper he is and it's not something we didn't know that he's poor with penalties. As for the miss, it is what it is when you get that deep into the shoot-out. I'd have been pissed off with him if he'd volunteered as no 3-7 and missed.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For their goal De Gea's starting position is basically on the goal line and the ball is kicked in from the edge of the 6. In the second half they had a similar free kick and his starting position was closer to the edge of his 6 and he came out and claimed it. This is something that they clearly talked to him about at half time. So while many will say he wasn't at fault for the goal or had not chance, being more proactive like he was in the second half proves that the goal could have been easily avoided. Sure, Lindelof should have done better, but sometimes you need your keeper to bail you out. I don't know yet if Henderson will be the right choice as a long term replacement for him, but i am so done with De Gea and his lack of knowledge for his position. He has gone far too long relying on his natural ability and still isn't brilliant at the basics. Get rid of him...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The free kick is from 35-40 yards out. De Gea just needs to start around his 6. If he gets scored on from that far then he's even worse than I thought :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oranges038

The free kick is from 35-40 yards out. De Gea just needs to start around his 6. If he gets scored on from that far then he's even worse than I thought :lol: :lol: :lol:

Granted it is rare, but if given the chance a player like him will go for it.

Have you ever watched Parejo? He has scored and attempted to score from around that area, his set piece delivery is excellent nearly every time.

De Gea knows this, it's why he doesn't take that risk. You can almost guarantee that's in the back of every keepers mind when faced with that kind of situation.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Granted it is rare, but if given the chance a player like him will go for it.

Have you ever watched Parejo? He has scored and attempted to score from around that area, his set piece delivery is excellent nearly every time.

De Gea knows this, it's why he doesn't take that risk. You can almost guarantee that's in the back of every keepers mind when faced with that kind of situation.
In the second half they had a free kick from roughly the same area and De Gea's starting position was at the edge of the 6. He ended up coming for and catching the ball. If a player is that far out, I don't care how good they are, you have time to back up and take care of it.

Oranges038

In the second half they had a free kick from roughly the same area and De Gea's starting position was at the edge of the 6. He ended up coming for and catching the ball. If a player is that far out, I don't care how good they are, you have time to back up and take care of it.
Why don't all keepers just stand on the penalty spot and wait for the ball then, most of them come in around there? Sure they can always get back.

I get that people want to scapegoat De Gea for that last night. Shaw was more to blame and so was Lindelof, even Bailly was caught out by being blocked off the runner.

HailtotheKing

The goalkeeper didn't fluff it because he for a start made an awful clearance leading to their goal but most importantly is void of responsibility because the manager should know the Man united keeper of ten years can't save penalties and sub him in his last game?

Give it a rest. You lot are ridiculously boring.
So you think, he was right to keep De Gea in due to sentimental reasons? Tell me something, when it went to a penalty shootout were you confident? Were you expecting him to save a single penalty when he hasn't the last 30 odd? How about the Villareal players? Sure, penalties are a lottery but it sure does help when you're taking one against a keeper that doesn't save them. There needs to be a niggling doubt, an air of potential jeopardy, the idea that if you don't put it in the absolute corner, you risk him saving it. All that disappears when you're faced with someone who just doesn't save them. Takes away all the pressure. But you think we should've kept him in?

FujiVice

This photo upsets me greatly. Its so fecking powerful. Consoling the sole survivor from his side.

bsCallout

So you think, he was right to keep De Gea in due to sentimental reasons? Tell me something, when it went to a penalty shootout were you confident? Were you expecting him to save a single penalty when he hasn't the last 30 odd? How about the Villareal players? Sure, penalties are a lottery but it sure does help when you're taking one against a keeper that doesn't save them. There needs to be a niggling doubt, an air of potential jeopardy, the idea that if you don't put it in the absolute corner, you risk him saving it. All that disappears when you're faced with someone who just doesn't save them. Takes away all the pressure. But you think we should've kept him in?
Yes

arnie_ni

Any mistakes that Henderson may have made recently surely is dwarfed by the amount of gaffs that De Gea has given us in the last 2 to 3 years?

I'm not saying Henderson is the answer, but to drop him the moment he has a shaky game when we've had to put up with the absolute crap that De Gea has served up over a long stretch seems a bit odd to me. One of the big reasons we were in the Europa instead of the Champions League was De Gea's shambolic performance out in Germany when it really mattered.
They didn't drop Henderson. De gea has been the Europa league keeper since Henderson got the PL nod. They'd have been dropping de gea.

Winrar

On a human level I feel sorry for him, losing a penalty shootout in a final like this must be absolutely brutal. But there's no room for sentiments at this level; for the past few years he hasn't been been the top keeper he used to be, and he doesn't carry enough swagger to prevail in occasions like this and yesterday was really the nail in the coffin it felt like, much like Karius after 2018 CL Final. (under different conditions and circumstances, of course)

Nickelodeon

I'm not sure any other clubs fans attack their keeper on the back of a penalty shootout. If we are indeed a ruthless club, then bin him. Along with the manager. And please spare this hyperbole that Henderson is some peak-Buffon reincarnate who's the solution to our problems. Even on the back of this season, De Gea has still outperformed him.

Oranges038

I'm not sure any other clubs fans attack their keeper on the back of a penalty shootout. If we are indeed a ruthless club, then bin him. Along with the manager. And please spare this hyperbole that Henderson is some peak-Buffon reincarnate who's the solution to our problems. Even on the back of this season, De Gea has still outperformed him.
Don't think anyone really thinks this.

But go on, please explain exaclty how this is the case?

Henderson concedes less goals, keeps more clean sheets, has a higher save %, the team concedes less goals per game with him and has a higher win %.

The only stat I've seen where De Gea performs better, is that post shot xg that someone posted. Basically a stat that shows should have scored vs should have saved it.

Do you honestly think a keeper deserves to play because he saves more shots but the team lets in more goals and wins less games with him in goal?

Siezard

No one can forget all the great saves DDG has made for United. We go again!

Nickelodeon

Don't think anyone really thinks this.

But go on, please explain exaclty how this is the case?

Henderson concedes less goals, keeps more clean sheets, has a higher save %, the team concedes less goals per game with him and has a higher win %.

The only stat I've seen where De Gea performs better, is that post shot xg that someone posted. Basically a stat that shows should have scored vs should have saved it.

Do you honestly think a keeper deserves to play because he saves more shots but the team lets in more goals and wins less games with him in goal?
The goalkeeping stats are extremely random and generic in nature. Having played more in cup games during the earlier rounds, Henderson is bound to have better stats. In terms of our best goalkeeping performances this season, its De Gea against Roma. In terms of the worst, I would categorize Henderson against Liverpool in the PL.

Frankly, the point is that I can understand if the management decides to replace De Gea. But it has to be for a really good keeper. Henderson, in the limited sample set of games, hasn't shown that he can be our long term No.1. As a contender, the burden of proof was on Henderson to prove that he is the outstanding choice. He got enough chances and hasn't really taken them up.

And regarding the EL final, yes De Gea could've done better statistically on penalties. But he didn't make any mistakes. There were many players on the pitch, Rashford per se, who were significantly worse and are not getting a quarter the abuse. I find De Gea to be an easy target which is absolutely ridiculous.

Oranges038

The goalkeeping stats are extremely random and generic in nature. Having played more in cup games during the earlier rounds, Henderson is bound to have better stats. In terms of our best goalkeeping performances this season, its De Gea against Roma. In terms of the worst, I would categorize Henderson against Liverpool in the PL.

Frankly, the point is that I can understand if the management decides to replace De Gea. But it has to be for a really good keeper. Henderson, in the limited sample set of games, hasn't shown that he can be our long term No.1. As a contender, the burden of proof was on Henderson to prove that he is the outstanding choice. He got enough chances and hasn't really taken them up.

And regarding the EL final, yes De Gea could've done better statistically on penalties. But he didn't make any mistakes. There were many players on the pitch, Rashford per se, who were significantly worse and are not getting a quarter the abuse. I find De Gea to be an easy target which is absolutely ridiculous.
DDG against Spurs was worse than Henderson against Liverpool by a long way. He played well in the Roma game, but a lot of those chances largely came about because of his style of keeping forcing the team as a whole to sit so deep and defend indide the 18 yard box.

Individual stats are random, but you cannot deny that the team concedes less goals and wins more games when he plays.

People like to point out a few of his errors but forget to mention that De Gea gas been throwing them in for about 3 seasons now.

And as for that. Have you been living under a rock. He has even released a statement about the abuse he recieved.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This photo upsets me greatly. Its so fecking powerful. Consoling the sole survivor from his side.
Particularly so if that's De Gea's last time on the pitch as a United player. And yet a few inches difference on multiple occasions could have seen him bow out having saved (or even scored!) a crucial penalty in a European final. Sport can be really cruel in terms of the narrow margins between failure and success.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If De Gea was truly into football, he would study his opponents and take every little advantages that he can get to win.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-villarreal-penalty-shootout-24195378
He still has to make his own decisions and reads in that situation. They're notes, not instructions and they won't have good info for all the takers anyway as it's a penalty shoot-out.

You can say that if he followed the notes for Gomez' penalty he would have saved it, but then ignoring the notes for Torres and (if I'm reading it right) Coquelin was the right choice.

The Oracle

OK so after all the talk of the sheet of paper that De Gea was given for the shootout, I've just seen online the first sudden death penalty from Villareal...

the sheet he was given by the coaches clearly stated that the penalty would be hit centrally (straight at him)...

the penalty-taker didn't stutter his run-up, he didn't look at De Gea, he kept his eyes on the ball, and he hit it straight down the middle - and De Gea simply fell over to the side.

I never want to see De Gea in a Utd shirt ever again. He is an absolute disgrace.

He is mentally weak and cannot follow a simple set of instructions that would have won us a European trophy.

I want him gone from the club immediately, he is pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.