Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea-Cow

His record on penalties is absolutely astonishing.

How on earth is he so bad at saving them?
I don't really want to defend any of the lads for that shitshow but to be fair he did save one against Villa. A bullshit decision robbed him there.

And superman wasn't saving that pen from Kane. I was just glad to see Dave go the right way and make a good go at it.

ti vu

This Rob Branchette dude said he has covered French football for years regarding Cavani transfer. People keep retweeting him as if it's fact.

Here look how agenda he can get. You think this bloke is fair in assessment of players, let alone being honest about his knowledge? Sound like some of full of shit.

Bunch of circle jerk. DDG is getting underserved sticks. He has been in good form this new season. Go to the Shaw thread and watch that clip. You can't do nothing about, when the people in front of you is brain dead and ignoring your shouting.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This Rob Branchette dude said he has covered French football for years regarding Cavani transfer. People keep retweeting him as if it's fact.

Here look how agenda he can get. You think this bloke is fair in assessment of players, let alone being honest about his knowledge? Sound like some of full of shit.

Bunch of circle jerk. DDG is getting underserved sticks. He has been in good form this new season. Go to the Shaw thread and watch that clip. You can't do nothing about, when the people in front of you is brain dead and ignoring your shouting.
I didn't post the tweet to share Blanchette's thoughts but rather the other chap. Feel free to disagree.

ti vu

I didn't post the tweet to share Blanchette's thoughts but rather the other chap. Feel free to disagree.
I just tried to make the point about liar on Twitter lying through his teeth.

While generally DDG is slow in getting off his line, and not organize his defense well, these people are taking on a another level with agenda about replacing DDG with Henderson. Show us how Henderson organize, and quick off his line (not making mistake). It's not about flaw, but about being better than DDG.

As I pointed out, go to the Shaw thread, watch the clip and turn up the volume.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

Can't believe people are pinning 6 Spurs goals on him.

And I am not sure this talk of "Neuer is saving that" makes any sense. Neuer just let in 7 goals in last 2 games alone. If defense goes AWOL, all GKs are done for.

VivaRonaldo85

It’s not as much his patchy form (being kind) over the last 12 months that concerns me but his presence and demeanour in goal. At the weekend, he just looked small in one on one’s, timid, lacking confidence and nothing like the keeper we had in goal 2-3 years ago.

Our defence needs a horrible narky character behind them to give them a major kick up the backside at times and Henderson for me deserves his time as number one to bring back some much needed passion and character to both our GK position and our defence.

steve.crowford

We wont go anywhere with De Gea in goal. I wonder if Ole recalled Henderson to prevent him from embarrassing De Gea on daily bases, with lighting up the EPL while De Gea doesn't pull any punches. Henderson has had 2 clean sheets since arriving and as you said Romero has out performed him ever since he arrived, but so did Lindegaard. The De gea situations has always been weird considering United as club has never been to fright of binning under performing keepers. De Gea is seriously a stupid hill to die on, considering De gea lacks most things you want see in great GK. Unable to save penos, poor vs 1 and 1 and too glued to the line, poor with crosses and corners, not vocial and cannot organize defence.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A fun(or not) bit of trivia is that Dave is our only GK to concede 6 goals at OT on 2 separate occasions:

1-6 to City in 2011
1-6 to Spurs in 2020

I tried googling it, but I haven't found any other GK that has a similar record for us.
Difficult to compare these two games, however. It was 1-3 late on vs. Citeh, only one of the final three goals could be classified as completely his fault (for me it was the fifth).
That said, while I am a huge DDG supporter, it’s time to shake it up. Ole needs to make it certain that no one who would be considered as a starter will definitely be a starter. We’re not going to get out of this malaise by just keep doing the same things status quo. DDG’s salary can’t come into play. He needs to sit for a bit & play & take the responsibilities that Romero had for the past few years - the cups.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We wont go anywhere with De Gea in goal. I wonder if Ole recalled Henderson to prevent him from embarrassing De Gea on daily bases, with lighting up the EPL while De Gea doesn't pull any punches. Henderson has had 2 clean sheets since arriving and as you said Romero has out performed him ever since he arrived, but so did Lindegaard. The De gea situations has always been weird considering United as club has never been to fright of binning under performing keepers. De Gea is seriously a stupid hill to die on, considering De gea lacks most things you want see in great GK. Unable to save penos, poor vs 1 and 1 and too glued to the line, poor with crosses and corners, not vocial and cannot organize defence.
No great GK could ever be held to a ‘have to save penalties’ stipulation, the odds are stacked too much against them even when the one the line until the ball is struck’ rule wasn’t being enforced properly. Your other points are extremely valid, though.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Another view of it.

You can clearly see he is trying to organise but if someone is gonna ignore you...

Cannot blame De Gea for that Spurs game.

edcunited1878

It's just round and round in circles with the Utd defence until people realise that the common denominator this past ten years is De Gea.
We could have prime Vidic and Rio and they would struggle playing with a goalkeeper that literally just stays rooted to the line and offers zero support or command of the box.

Our defenders were awful yesterday, don't get me wrong, but those first two goals are barely even chances if the keeper is switched on and comes and collects or clears it, 99% of other keepers do this, it's a very basic part of goalkeeping.

I've banging this drum for ten years now and I'm still genuinely baffled how people still can't see the absolute chaos this causes in our defence literally every week.
It's not going to change until this is sorted.

To make matters worse, he's the highest paid player in the league.
United won the league with end of career Rio and Vidic in front of DDG...and both CBs were in and out of the side due to injury.

Maguire sold DDG way to short on the attempted back pass...it was closer to Luke Shaw than De Gea and Lamela was all over Shaw who fell down.

DDG hasn't caused absolute chaos on the backline for ten years. How do you not remember him winning the PL with Rio and Vida, Evans and Smalling.

Chaotic of a post. Yes DDG isn't what he once was, but you don't get two or three contracts across 3 managers who continue to play you.

Blaming someone just to place blame and throwing hypotheticals is a sign of desperation.

Foxbatt

Another view of it.

You can clearly see he is trying to organise but if someone is gonna ignore you...

If it is the case then yes DeGea is not to blame for that. They say that good keepers get more tired by shouting at their defenders than actually making saves.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Another view of it.

Ugh. You'd be fit to strangle the defenders in front of you.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
As an outsider with no skin in the game I thought DdG was the least of United's problems in this game. Could have ended a lot worse without him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As an outsider with no skin in the game I thought DdG was the least of United's problems in this game. Could have ended a lot worse without him.
Agree.

I think any goalkeeper who concedes six goals is an obvious option to criticise though and in De Gea's case there's already narrative against him due to all the games he was actually poor in over the last two seasons.

If this game had happened when De Gea was in stellar form the result would have been exactly the same but the focus would have been on the defenders letting him down.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
United won the league with end of career Rio and Vidic in front of DDG...and both CBs were in and out of the side due to injury.

Maguire sold DDG way to short on the attempted back pass...it was closer to Luke Shaw than De Gea and Lamela was all over Shaw who fell down.

DDG hasn't caused absolute chaos on the backline for ten years. How do you not remember him winning the PL with Rio and Vida, Evans and Smalling.

Chaotic of a post. Yes DDG isn't what he once was, but you don't get two or three contracts across 3 managers who continue to play you.

Blaming someone just to place blame and throwing hypotheticals is a sign of desperation.
As I've pointed out many times before, we conceded 43 goals in the league that year, by far the worst of any of the top 4 (although still less than the 53 league goals he conceded in his last season at Atletico that somehow convinced us to sign him).
So, I would argue we won that title in spite of him, not because of him.
Back then we had a brilliant team, meaning we could get away with having a dodgy keeper, sadly that's not the case anymore, we're a mid-table side and it's now fine margains that determine whether or not we win week in week out.
You would expect the highest paid player in the league to be tilting those fine margains in your favour and winning you points, if they aren't then someone else should be give a chance and that money should be spent elsewhere.

By the way, I did say that the defenders had a shocker, but they aren't being helped by a keeper that's constantly glued to his line and offers no support to them.
If you think I'm just on a wind up, or have an agenda, then watch the second Tottenham goal again and tell me that a keeper who's alert and reading the game doesn't easily get to that ball first. Son even takes a heavy touch and still gets there ahead of him, it's just not good enough in my opinion, and it's happening every game.

Jibbs

He should be our third choice keeper. Along with Pogba he is the worst performing of all united players for past two years. Ole should be sacked for awarding him and Jones these ridiculous contracts. I can't wait for the day when he will be gone from the club along with Pogba.

edcunited1878

As I've pointed out many times before, we conceded 43 goals in the league that year, by far the worst of any of the top 4 (although still less than the 53 league goals he conceded in his last season at Atletico that somehow convinced us to sign him).
So, I would argue we won that title in spite of him, not because of him.
Back then we had a brilliant team, meaning we could get away with having a dodgy keeper, sadly that's not the case anymore, we're a mid-table side and it's now fine margains that determine whether or not we win week in week out.
You would expect the highest paid player in the league to be tilting those fine margains in your favour and winning you points, if they aren't then someone else should be give a chance and that money should be spent elsewhere.

By the way, I did say that the defenders had a shocker, but they aren't being helped by a keeper that's constantly glued to his line and offers no support to them.
If you think I'm just on a wind up, or have an agenda, then watch the second Tottenham goal again and tell me that a keeper who's alert and reading the game doesn't easily get to that ball first. Son even takes a heavy touch and still gets there ahead of him, it's just not good enough in my opinion, and it's happening every game.
That's conceding less than one goal per match across 38 PL matches at 0.88 goals against per match. That's pretty damn good.

And guess what, Joe Hart won the golden gloves with like 18 clean sheets...what does that say about Joe Hart or the team/structure in front of him...all that to say is it's not just all on the keeper or all on the defense, they all work together.

DDG was a top top GK for a good 4 to six years and now he's good to great at times, but his lower points can be lower. He's not longer elite and that's safe to say, regardless of how he does it. Mueller is an elite player but he does it in an unorthodox way and still so many people don't understand why or how, but it just is. DDG was a clear elite GK and he wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but at the same time he was undisputed top GK along with Neuer. We look back and say that Patrice Evra was a top top LB along with Ashley Cole at that time. Just give the player their respect and praise when it's deserved. But that was then and this is now, but it's not as if this was prevalent for across his entire United tenure. He does what he does and he's done it very well. Don't be blind by the fact that you have to score at least, very least 76 goals for per season to potentially win the league. That's an average of 2 goals per game. This isn't AC Milan or whatever 90s football.

United aren't a midtable side anymore...do you know what that is? United are a CL yo-yo club and at worst, a European qualification club in England. Midtable clubs are positions 8 to 13/14 and bottom table clubs are 14/15 to 20. Not hard to comprehend if you take the time to look. When was the last time United finished outside the top 7 to be considered a midtable club? United might have had midtable or relegation form at times, but fecking hell...they are a bang on midtable club now??

He's the highest paid player because at the time, the club was at a bad position and they decided to keep him...fine, but at those wages were insane and still are. Nobody to blame but Woodward since he oversees that and made that final decision.

DDG being glued to his line doesn't make up for the fact that in their first 3 PL matches of the season, their have been multiple individual defensive errors by the outfield defensive players that will put any GK in the world under pressure and cause problems. Whether or not the opposing team is clinical, that's another story. But the more chances you give up because of defensive individual errors, the more room you have to concede goals.

Every game as in 3 games in PL where arguably the 3rd game is a complete write off especially after the red card? I mean fecksakes, you swear like DDG has been the biggest contributor towards United's failing at every loss. United were dogshit against Spurs after the red card and individually before the red card and it cost them dearly.

I love DDG and appreciate him, but he's obviously overpaid, under appreciated, and gets the dogs abuse for everything he isn't or doesn't do. He isn't the future, and that's completely normal and fine. Henderson will be the number 1 soon and is the future. Whether it's later this year, tomorrow, or next year. It doesn't matter. But fecking hell, get off DDG's back.

My original reply was to someone who didn't know what they were talking about in regards to DDG actually winning the league with Rio, Vidic, and a defensive line that was on their last legs. That season, they conceded 5th fewest goals tied with Liverpool at 43. Not bad.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Against Spurs his defence let him down. Nothing much he can do about it. My problem with him is that he does not come out to collect balls or punch so it puts the defence under pressure. Then he should be also looking to kick out a lot better than just passing to someone in the box.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He should be a captain. And without any doubt. Ole did rubbish decision to skip him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I still feel we would do a whole lot better in defence if the defence knew the goalkeeper will come off his line to sweep up.

CG1010

He has had rubbish defence for most of his United career. He has made atleast 1-2 world class saves per game for an entire season (forget which one - I think a Mourinho's). The difference is that he isn't making those saves anymore with so much consistency. So rest of his faults are becoming clearer.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
That's conceding less than one goal per match across 38 PL matches at 0.88 goals against per match. That's pretty damn good.

And guess what, Joe Hart won the golden gloves with like 18 clean sheets...what does that say about Joe Hart or the team/structure in front of him...all that to say is it's not just all on the keeper or all on the defense, they all work together.

DDG was a top top GK for a good 4 to six years and now he's good to great at times, but his lower points can be lower. He's not longer elite and that's safe to say, regardless of how he does it. Mueller is an elite player but he does it in an unorthodox way and still so many people don't understand why or how, but it just is. DDG was a clear elite GK and he wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but at the same time he was undisputed top GK along with Neuer. We look back and say that Patrice Evra was a top top LB along with Ashley Cole at that time. Just give the player their respect and praise when it's deserved. But that was then and this is now, but it's not as if this was prevalent for across his entire United tenure. He does what he does and he's done it very well. Don't be blind by the fact that you have to score at least, very least 76 goals for per season to potentially win the league. That's an average of 2 goals per game. This isn't AC Milan or whatever 90s football.

United aren't a midtable side anymore...do you know what that is? United are a CL yo-yo club and at worst, a European qualification club in England. Midtable clubs are positions 8 to 13/14 and bottom table clubs are 14/15 to 20. Not hard to comprehend if you take the time to look. When was the last time United finished outside the top 7 to be considered a midtable club? United might have had midtable or relegation form at times, but fecking hell...they are a bang on midtable club now??

He's the highest paid player because at the time, the club was at a bad position and they decided to keep him...fine, but at those wages were insane and still are. Nobody to blame but Woodward since he oversees that and made that final decision.

DDG being glued to his line doesn't make up for the fact that in their first 3 PL matches of the season, their have been multiple individual defensive errors by the outfield defensive players that will put any GK in the world under pressure and cause problems. Whether or not the opposing team is clinical, that's another story. But the more chances you give up because of defensive individual errors, the more room you have to concede goals.

Every game as in 3 games in PL where arguably the 3rd game is a complete write off especially after the red card? I mean fecksakes, you swear like DDG has been the biggest contributor towards United's failing at every loss. United were dogshit against Spurs after the red card and individually before the red card and it cost them dearly.

I love DDG and appreciate him, but he's obviously overpaid, under appreciated, and gets the dogs abuse for everything he isn't or doesn't do. He isn't the future, and that's completely normal and fine. Henderson will be the number 1 soon and is the future. Whether it's later this year, tomorrow, or next year. It doesn't matter. But fecking hell, get off DDG's back.

My original reply was to someone who didn't know what they were talking about in regards to DDG actually winning the league with Rio, Vidic, and a defensive line that was on their last legs. That season, they conceded 5th fewest goals tied with Liverpool at 43. Not bad.
Sorry, my brain refused to let me read the rest of your comment after you claimed that conceding 43 goals in 38 matches equates to conceding less than a goal a game.
Enjoy the season bud.

Another view of it.

Schmicheal would have got in Shaws face without a doubt, like boderline ready to headbutt him.

iHicksy

If you look at it objectively Henderson is simply the better Goal keeper at this point in time. I know this isn't a popular opinion on here, but I watched every game of Henderson's last season and i've watched 98% of Dea Gea's over the last 5 seasons. Please hear me out before you jump down my throat. I was a huge De Gea fan, but we as United fans do form romantic attachments to certain players because they are "ours". This is especially true with players who have been fantastic in times of strife, such as David. Hell, even Luke Shaw despite not setting the world on fire is defended to the hilt on here because he's ours. Which is a great strength to have, look at how players get a fantastic return to Old Trafford. However, sometimes it can work against us. Anyway, this is why i think Henderson should be our number one.

He provides everything De Gea does and more. I watched him a ton last season and he was the difference for Sheffield United's defence. He has the rare ability to do nothing all game, then pull out a world class save (Much like Edwin). Why is this rare? It takes a special kind of keeper to maintain focus when they aren't being tested constantly. However, he can also withstand a barrage of shots. His shot stopping is equal to De Gea at his peak but what I really like about him is that he's a commanding presence and he's good in the air. De Gea for all his shot stopping ability (which has regressed in recent years) is not a commanding keeper, for me at least. He really hates coming off his line, which is a huge flaw in a goalkeeper, espeically in times when we want to play a high line. Not only that, but his distribution which used to be one of his strongest assets has regressed hugely. I don't know if this is down to coaching or what. But all I know is that despite past heroics, we have a better Goalkeeper waiting in the wings who can do everything David can, and more. We're holding on to De Gea because of what he's done in the past and the huge contract he's been given. Not because of outstanding recent performances. Because whilst he can be an excellent shot stopper, (again Henderson is easily his equal - just look at his saves in the Cup - he was pulling those out weekly for Sheff united) he is falling short in a lot of other areas. When I watch United games he instills a sense of nervousness in me, Henderson exudes confidence and I don't as yet see a flaw in his game.

Water Melon

If you look at it objectively Henderson is simply the better Goal keeper at this point in time. I know this isn't a popular opinion on here, but I watched every game of Henderson's last season and i've watched 98% of Dea Gea's over the last 5 seasons. Please hear me out before you jump down my throat. I was a huge De Gea fan, but we as United fans do form romantic attachments to certain players because they are "ours". This is especially true with players who have been fantastic in times of strife, such as David. Hell, even Luke Shaw despite not setting the world on fire is defended to the hilt on here because he's ours. Which is a great strength to have, look at how players get a fantastic return to Old Trafford. However, sometimes it can work against us. Anyway, this is why i think Henderson should be our number one.

He provides everything De Gea does and more. I watched him a ton last season and he was the difference for Sheffield United's defence. He has the rare ability to do nothing all game, then pull out a world class save (Much like Edwin). Why is this rare? It takes a special kind of keeper to maintain focus when they aren't being tested constantly. However, he can also withstand a barrage of shots. His shot stopping is equal to De Gea at his peak but what I really like about him is that he's a commanding presence and he's good in the air. De Gea for all his shot stopping ability (which has regressed in recent years) is not a commanding keeper, for me at least. He really hates coming off his line, which is a huge flaw in a goalkeeper, espeically in times when we want to play a high line. Not only that, but his distribution which used to be one of his strongest assets has regressed hugely. I don't know if this is down to coaching or what. But all I know is that despite past heroics, we have a better Goalkeeper waiting in the wings who can do everything David can, and more. We're holding on to De Gea because of what he's done in the past and the huge contract he's been given. Not because of outstanding recent performances. Because whilst he can be an excellent shot stopper, (again Henderson is easily his equal - just look at his saves in the Cup - he was pulling those out weekly for Sheff united) he is falling short in a lot of other areas. When I watch United games he instills a sense of nervousness in me, Henderson exudes confidence and I don't as yet see a flaw in his game.
Agree with this. Deano is a much much safer bet than David these days. Should be starting most of the matches until a drop in form occurs. Only then De Gea should be given a nod.

edcunited1878

Sorry, my brain refused to let me read the rest of your comment after you claimed that conceding 43 goals in 38 matches equates to conceding less than a goal a game.
Enjoy the season bud.
My mistake...1.1 goals per game.

Yet your ignorance is still visible in your previous post and in your current reply. Made a mistake and owned up to it.

Still can't decide whether or not United is a midtable club like you said or that Joe Hart is a better GK because the sides he was in at City let in fewer goals, thus it was because of Hart's abilities?

Your brain refused because you're ignorant and ignorant is bliss for you as it relates to the body of my response.

Jog on, jog on.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is anyone watching the way he plays for Spain?

The guy is coming out of his line almost high line centre defensive area & plays with the ball at his feet and passing around & defending the area as required.

I think he plays like this because Spain have a core of possession based football and even if they dont play purely that way right now - De gea knows he has to play like that or he isnt good enough for them.

The difference between him in the national team and United is shockingly different.

The guy is coming out of his line almost high line centre defensive area & plays with the ball at his feet and passing around & defending the area as required.

I think he plays like this because Spain have a core of possession based football and even if they dont play purely that way right now - De gea knows he has to play like that or he isnt good enough for them.

The difference between him in the national team and United is shockingly different.
that’s interesting.

in our first game of the season, he was further off his line than I’d seen him before.

Water Melon

I do not think De Gea is being extra focused on NT and a bit careless when it comes to United. I am sure him being glued to his line while playing for us is our coaching team's instruction.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
that’s interesting.

in our first game of the season, he was further off his line than I’d seen him before.
I do not think De Gea is being extra focused on NT and a bit careless when it comes to United. I am sure him being glued to his line while playing for us is our coaching team's instruction.
Yeah it well might be that its coached. It's just weird we aim to play ball playing CB'S and keep him on the line which creates a gap between him and our defensive line.

Water Melon

Yeah it well might be that its coached. It's just weird we aim to play ball playing CB'S and keep him on the line which creates a gap between him and our defensive line.
It really is fecking weird, it is actually is a deficiency. Look at how we try to play out from the back, we suck at it. Our midfield is pedestrian and do not make themselves available unless staying very deep in defense or facing their own goal. Moreover, neither Lindelof nor Maguire are quick passers. Slabhead being the main culprit of the two. Add to that the fact AWB is so bad at playing out that opposition target him specifically. So basically David passes it to a fb who who has no options to pass forward and is afraid to dribble. Thus a fb with the ball passes it to a cb who takes an extra 3-4 touches and 15 seconds, thus allowing opposition to organize a coordinated pressing, which in its turn again results in having no options to pass between lines. Ridiculous.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So far Henderson has had two starts and in those games, when the match was close, he made a world class save that was a real game changer for us. If either of those shots in those games had gone in, nobody would have blamed Henderson, but as it turned out, he made the save and we went on to win the matches. De Gea on the other hand has allowed 12 goals against in the first 3 games. Many are very quick to point out that he hasn't been at fault for any of those goals, and that's fine, but is that the standard we look for? Is it ok to say "well he hasn't made a mistake, so he should still be our number 1". When De Gea was "the best in the world" it was because he was a game changer. He wont games for us on his own. He made the saves like Henderson did and that changed the game for us. It gave us a boost. Now we just seem to be happy if he isn't causing us a goal. Personally, it think he should step aside. Not because he's done anything wrong so far this season, but because he hasn't done anything right like Henderson has...

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Big mistake from Dave again tonight. Caught in no mans land when Ukraine broke quickly.

criticalanalysis

You can't make it up :lol:

We've been begging for years for him to come off his line and on the rare occasion he does, he completely fecks it up.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Maybe that's why he never moves from his line...

Start Henderson.
I really want to see the starting position of him when he started to come forward. If he is deployed as a typical Sweeper keeper, then I really can't blame him. He was already out of position and it was a perfectly weighted pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.