Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

edcunited1878

Damned if you come off your line, damned if you don't come off your line. Looked silly as you do when it doesn't work.

Poor positioning by Navas throughout.

edcunited1878

I really want to see the starting position of him when he started to come forward. If he is deployed as a typical Sweeper keeper, then I really can't blame him. He was already out of position and it was a perfectly weighted pass.
The attacker had a first touch from at least 40 yards from goal if not further...it's a stretch to say Dave was at fault.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That's a really weird one... not what you would expect from Dave at all. Would have to see his starting position/full move before blaming him but yeh, don't expect him to be that far from his goal regardless.

K Stand Knut

Blimey. I’ll blame De Gea for almost anything and use most things as an excuse to start Henderson but I that clip is harsh at best to blame de Gea solely.

The first touch from the attacker is a tad lucky and clearly takes it away from where de Gea thinks the ball is going.

At fault, yes, marginally.

Have I seen him make bigger mistake. Certainly and I bet I do again in a United shirt before the end of the season

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Critics: Damn it De Gea, come off your freaking line!

Also Critics: Damn it De Gea, stay on your freaking line!
Yeah, this. I read about the mistake and was actually pleased to see he’d been caught high up the pitch instead of his usual back-pedalling. I just hope this mistake doesn’t lock him back into retreat mode permanently now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Will be interesting if we see him attempting to improve in those ways.

izec

At least he is trying after the shitshow the last 2 years. He wont get another 3 years in changing though and making plenty mistakes, so lets see him improving quickly

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Actually neither. Take the right position depending on situation.
I have little faith in people's ability to judge the "right position" based on much more than the outcome. When in reality good decisions are no guarantee of good outcomes.

There have been times when De Gea has made a perfectly reasonable decision to stay on his line but was still criticized for doing so simply because it didn't work out for him on that occasion and a goal or chance was conceded. Similarly, other goalkeepers have in the past been criticised for being off their line when a goal was scored even though the actual decision they made and position they took is one that had played in their favour before and would do so again in other games.

In many instances there isn't even a "right position". There are different positions with different pros and cons a goalkeeper can make work, depending on how good and lucky they are in that instant. If people genuinely want De Gea to come off his line more then that will come with pros and cons, just as staying on his line does.

Last edited:

criticalanalysis

I have little faith in people's ability to judge the "right position" based on much more than the outcome. When in reality good decisions are no guarantee of good outcomes.

There have been times when De Gea has made a perfectly reasonable decision to stay on his line but was still criticized for doing so simply because it didn't work out for him on that occasion and a goal or chance was conceded. Similarly, other goalkeepers have in the past been criticised for being off their line when a goal was scored even though the actual decision they made and position they took is one that had played in their favour before and would do so again in other games.

In many instances there isn't even a "right position". There are different positions with different pros and cons a goalkeeper can make work, depending on how good and lucky they are in that instant. If people genuinely want De Gea to come off his line more then that will come with pros and cons, just as staying on his line does.
I'd argue that there is a 'right' position and those positions are one's where you play to the law of averages i.e covering your near post. To me that is an obvious one but even then some people claim it's open to debate.

It's the same with De Gea's lack of movement for Son's first goal. He had ample time to come out and close the angle. Instead he stood rooted to his spot and gave Son all the time to get a good connection on a tame shot.

Closing the space along the floor, covering the near post, forcing the attacker to always go for the far post etc are fundamentals that will give you more saves than not in those situations. Parrying away from goal, being on your toes (not your heels), not taking jump steps i.e mid-air when a ball is struck as you should be taking stutter steps and in a position to move your feet rather than rely on a planted foot dive etc.

hmchan

Will be interesting if we see him attempting to improve in those ways.
Can't see it as a positive sign. You make changes to improve your game, not just for its own sake. When you concede a goal due to your changes (as your post has said), it should not be seen as an improvement or progress.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Any clips exist from behind one of the goals for the goal itself? All I can find is one from around the half line. It would show if DDG was positioned incorrectly (left to right) for the goal. It’s not necessarily a bad thing to be that far out of the goal as a keeper obviously cuts down the angle. A vertical camera clip would show if the shot was real quality, if it had a good amount of curve, etc.

I welcome DDG being more aggressive off of his line.

ti vu

Can't see it as a positive sign. You make changes to improve your game, not just for its own sake. When you concede a goal due to your changes (as your post has said), it should not be seen as an improvement or progress.
De Gea looks very good against Switzerland coming off his line. It's positive thing as in work in progress.

All sweeper keeper had those stupid moments. Even the like of Neuer made silly mistakes the years. Of course the best make so few mistake compare to beneficial of their sweeping style. I don't see the fuss about this mistake in a semi friendly game, when it can help stopping more danger by coming off the line in the future.

hmchan

De Gea looks very good against Switzerland coming off his line. It's positive thing as in work in progress.

All sweeper keeper had those stupid moments. Even the like of Neuer made silly mistakes the years. Of course the best make so few mistake compare to beneficial of their sweeping style. I don't see the fuss about this mistake in a semi friendly game, when it can help stopping more danger by coming off the line in the future.
1. When other sweeper keepers have those stupid moments, they are also heavily criticized (e.g. Ederson vs Wolves, Alisson vs Brighton etc). I don't see why de Gea is immune to criticism and could be seen as some sort of improvement or progress when the same happens to him.

2. Very good? How many times does de Gea stop an one-on-one, or neutralize a potential threat coming off his line in this game? Not enough for me, and certainly not enough to compensate for his mistake. It's too early to tell if he's going to further improve in this area, but it's definite not a positive sign at the moment.

ti vu

1. When other sweeper keepers have those stupid moments, they are also heavily criticized (e.g. Ederson vs Wolves, Alisson vs Brighton etc). I don't see why de Gea is immune to criticism and could be seen as some sort of improvement or progress when the same happens to him.

2. Very good? How many times does de Gea stop an one-on-one, or neutralize a potential threat coming off his line in this game? Not enough for me, and certainly not enough to compensate for his mistake. It's too early to tell if he's going to further improve in this area, but it's definite not a positive sign at the moment.
You compare semi friendly game vs competitive game there. Context.

Did you watch Switzerland game? Yes De Gea came off his line, and be imposed in the air even. It's the start of progress. You're judging a small sample. Nothing is enough at the moment to say one way or another. There is no guarantee it works out in the end or not, but it's kneejerk to stick the knife in.

What is the solution? Transfer window is closed. Henderson, Romero also made mistake coming off the line. It's not like we have Neuer on the bench

manukes

Agree with you, there is a limit to individual ability and I think he is at his now. Time for resting and change between post.

hmchan

You compare semi friendly game vs competitive game there. Context.

Did you watch Switzerland game? Yes De Gea came off his line, and be imposed in the air even. It's the start of progress. You're judging a small sample. Nothing is enough at the moment to say one way or another. There is no guarantee it works out in the end or not, but it's kneejerk to stick the knife in.

What is the solution? Transfer window is closed. Henderson, Romero also made mistake coming off the line. It's not like we have Neuer on the bench
"Nothing is enough at the moment to say one way or another", so you do agree it shouldn't be seen as a positive sign for now? If so there's nothing much to discuss about, that's my stance all day long.

Henderson also makes mistakes coming off his line but he has a much better successful ratio. He has stopped several one-on-ones and potential threats (e.g. winning a header against Giroud) over the last season. Context.

Levenstein

He has actually dealt very good with 1on1s in my opinion. Dont go down too early and stands on his feet. Very good example is against Sterling(Liverpool).

Not so well lately, but he will regain his form.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

He’s apparently finally realized that he needs to improve in these areas. The improvement is not a zero sum game, it’s going to be a process. He’s not a SW/GK now simply because he had one game in that style, he’s taken what is hopefully the first step to improve this glaring weakness in his personal game. If he fecks up while on this process, he should be rightly criticized; he shouldn’t be completely dismissed out of hand & not be seen to be trying to make positive improvement in his game.

ti vu

"Nothing is enough at the moment to say one way or another", so you do agree it shouldn't be seen as a positive sign for now? If so there's nothing much to discuss about, that's my stance all day long.

Henderson also makes mistakes coming off his line but he has a much better successful ratio. He has stopped several one-on-ones and potential threats (e.g. winning a header against Giroud) over the last season. Context.
It means for future, the end result. Not the first positive of change.

Prove "ratio" with stats please.

archiebald

De Gea's reaction saves were always his strongest point and were what kept us afloat in the dismal years. That being said, he has been declining in that regard whilst not improving other key aspects of goalkeeping such as commanding his back 4, working on his distribution and coming out to claim corners.

Reactions: golden_blunder

el3mel

That ridiculous save kept us in the match. Going 2-1 down I don't know what would have happened next. Great from him.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Statement match. Couldn’t be counted at fault for the goal, couple of great saves, even was a bit spritely off the line to collect a couple of balls in the box.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Class today, did exactly what we needed him to thankfully.

izec

should have done better for the goal, but had a great save. So level. Other than that, standard saves and was decent.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Caught off balance for Shaw's own goal (which easily happens in situations like that) but otherwise very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.