Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

windco

Looks like Henderson breathing down his neck is refocusing him, great Management from Ole.
No , this is because our defensive football and formation , it was the same as Mourinho second season. No one breathing down his neck during his Golden Glove season yet he still pulled worldly week in week out. Being in defensive help him to focus and also forced opponent to try more speculative shot which he is capable to save.

Dorris

He made some good saves, but some of his sweeper keeper work left a lot to be desired. That second Tuanzebe tackle on Mbappe, Di Maria played it through from his own half and neither player reached the ball until the penalty area, yet De Gea was rooted to his line. There were a couple of other moments were I found myself screaming at him to take charge, and he hesitated to the point he nearly didn't get there. He's got to improve this side of his game, it's massive in modern football.

Jonno

Excellent saves. I fully expected Mbappe's strike to make the net ripple.

Dean Hendo has made DDG better. Long may it continue.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
While the Mbappe save was great I thought the one in the 1st half from the cross at point blank range was even better.

Perfectly positioned, blocked it well and then had insanely quick reactions to scoop the ball up off the floor out of the reach of the striker. That was DDG back to his best, it HAD to be a goal but somehow he stopped it. The match could have been very different had that gone in.

sillwuka

Dave's upped his game due to Dean watching over him.

Give Dave the league and the CL.
Dean's gets the rest of the cup games and possibly CL group stage game if we are through.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
That was a level of performance we haven't seen for a couple of years now. Fair play to him for upping his standards. I think he knows that another prolonged lean spell will mean he's finished at the club.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
No , this is because our defensive football and formation , it was the same as Mourinho second season. No one breathing down his neck during his Golden Glove season yet he still pulled worldly week in week out. Being in defensive help him to focus and also forced opponent to try more speculative shot which he is capable to save.
No, I think you'll find i'm right. Just need De Gea to confirm it now.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yes! Too bad for Henderson, but this is my feeling as well
I'm not over convinced by Henderson but better judges than me(with England, at United) are, so it's up to him now, he'll probably get a dozen or so games this season to convince Ole and his staff that he should be number one. But if De Gea has got his focus back it just ain't happening.

Sylar

Main factor?
Dean knocking on his door. Squad competition. Romero wasn't given the chance at all to displace him so that breeds complacency in him.
I think so. I think Romero was just happy to be number 2, and probably our whole team knew it, whereas Henderson wants to be number 1.

DDG looks like he has concentration back. Time will tell, but I also thought his distribution was good. He came out for a few crosses too (and his starting position at times was good). And added to the fact cos there was no crowd you could hear him being vocal on set pieces.

His best performance in a long time.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I'm not over convinced by Henderson but better judges than me(with England, at United) are, so it's up to him now, he'll probably get a dozen or so games this season to convince Ole and his staff that he should be number one. But if De Gea has got his focus back it just ain't happening.
De Gea has been, and probably still can be, an absolute giant of a goalkeeper. Henderson bettering that is be a big ask. Of course I hope he is that talented, as I'm sure most do..

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He made some good saves, but some of his sweeper keeper work left a lot to be desired. That second Tuanzebe tackle on Mbappe, Di Maria played it through from his own half and neither player reached the ball until the penalty area, yet De Gea was rooted to his line. There were a couple of other moments were I found myself screaming at him to take charge, and he hesitated to the point he nearly didn't get there. He's got to improve this side of his game, it's massive in modern football.
He has made some obvious strides on it in the past three games. The key is that he continues to focus on it & not revert back to with what he is comfortable. Maintaining a better physical connection with his back line alleviates pressure on 2/3 of the players of the pitch & can help nullify speedy counter attacks, etc.

He also seemed a little spritely off of his line to collect a few crosses cleanly during a rather damp night with rain occurring through most of the match. Granted, PSG didn’t throw any bodies on him or had much height up front, but his assuredness in dealing with the crosses was heartening.

Alemar

DDG looks like he has concentration back.
But it’s not just about concentration. Concentration means you don’t make mistakes, but such shots as of Mbappe yesterday are virtually impossible to save even with full concentration - it requires something special.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think he also benefits from a back 3. It allows him to stay on his line and stick to his strengths more.

GlasgowCeltic

This may be nonsense but I feel like the younger or less experienced the team in front of him the more vocal he is

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
This may be nonsense but I feel like the younger or less experienced the team in front of him the more vocal he is
Which kind of makes sense. I think most of us feel more comfortable getting tough at our jobs when we have to deal with those less senior than us. I guess in a way its no surprise great goalies peak relative late compared to the other 10 on the pitch. At the same time I don't recall younger Smeichels, Kahns and Van der Sars to name a few to have an issue asserting themselves with senior players.

De Gea has got too many flaws in his game to be considered an all-time great but he's a safer bet than Henderson at the moment, just
De Gea had shown world class form lately. I hope he can continue that and make it his regular standard again.

For many years De Gea performed at a world class level as the best in the league and one of the best in the world. His form slumped a bit, which we've seen happen before with world class players who then get back to their level.

Henderson has never shown that level and is a relatively unknown quantity. I hope having him on the bench is the kick up the arse De Gea needed but I imagine Henderson will be sold next summer.

Sylar

But it’s not just about concentration. Concentration means you don’t make mistakes, but such shots as of Mbappe yesterday are virtually impossible to save even with full concentration - it requires something special.
Of course. But even the 'lesser saves' hes been making a complete hash of. You can forgive your keeper for doing all the things right but making world class saves. However if your keeper is making WC saves, but howlers with the 'simpler things' you will query it.
He certainly seems focused

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That was a world class performance. Those saves were as good as striker scoring goals.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Prior to yesterday everyone was saying that so far this year none of the goals against De Gea were his fault so he doesn't deserve to be pulled. I argued that while none were his fault, he also didn't make any big game changing saves like Henderson did in his two starts. Yesterday that all changed. I have been one of De Gea's biggest critics but he was fantastic yesterday. He made a save that nobody would blame him if it went in and that changed the game. Same thing happened at Newcastle. Keep that up De Gea...

Raven

At his best he's the best I've ever seen. If he gets back to that level or better, he's worth 10 or more points a season easily.

Craig Ward

Main factor?
Dean knocking on his door. Squad competition. Romero wasn't given the chance at all to displace him so that breeds complacency in him.
Exactly this.

His position is seriously under threat for the first time. Fair play to him for upping his level - he needed too.

World class against PSG

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's become more vocal as well, and seems to be communicating with his defenders much more now as well, which seems to benefit the defence

Levenstein

Getting better and better. You can feel the presence and confidence now.

Classical Mechanic

I think the criticism and the presence of Henderson has actually made him develop his game. He’s actually do things that he’s never done before. He’s more vocal and willing to come off his line. Looks like he’s been working on his passing too.

Levenstein

I think the criticism and the presence of Henderson has actually made him develop his game. He’s actually do things that he’s never done before. He’s more vocal and willing to come off his line. Looks like he’s been working on his passing too.
I feel the same. Think he undersood that he have to improve his game, but didnt know how to do it. This criticism and tension from the bench have helped him to do that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Still too early to judge him this season, I think.

For all that we think of his previous too seasons as being error strewn, it "only" took four official PL errors in each of those seasons to create that opinion. In other words it's possible to go for long a stretches of games without any errors but still end up making too many over the course of a season, as "too many" isn't a particularly high number when you're a goalkeeper. He'll need a lot more games under his belt before we know if the mistakes have been sufficiently reduced.

It is clear that he's at least attempting to improve on his weaknesses though, which is a good sign.

Alemar

Excellent clean sheet. Too bad we didn’t win, but it is not de Gea’s fault

Web of Bissaka

For all that we think of his previous too seasons as being error strewn, it "only" took four official PL errors in each of those seasons to create that opinion.
Only 4?
Odd, but I guess that says a lot in how "errors" is defined.

I'm very sure it's a lot more than just 4, didn't we had a thread recording all of De Gea's mistakes last season, I remember it's so so many.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Only 4?
Odd, but I guess that says a lot in how "errors" is defined.

I'm very sure it's a lot more than just 4, didn't we had a thread recording all of De Gea's mistakes last season, I remember it's so so many.
Yep, only four in each season.

As you say though, I'd imagine that's down to how "errors" are defined. Plus it's only counting errors made in the PL and not cup competitions.

The other interesting thing about the official error stats though is that Ederson and Allison have both had worse seasons than either of the De Gea's last two within the last three years. Ederson made 6 errors in 19/20 and 17/18, while Allison made 6 in 18/19. The difference is that a much higher proportion of De Gea's led to a goal, whereas more of theirs only led to chance that was then squandered by the opposition. Similarly, De Gea still made as much as 3 errors in some of his best seasons, they were just also far less likely to actually lead to a goal.

I'd guess that's down to a combination of the type of errors being made by the very different styles of goalkeeper and also simple bad luck. In the 18/19 season every single one of De Gea's mistakes led to a goal, which is very unusual.

Man Utd 5:0 RB Leipzig

3KDré

Fair play to him. He seems to be rising to the Henderson challenge. He seems more composed, more vocal and his distribution is also improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.