Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

432JuanMata

The save at 1-0 made this result he won’t be mentioned but that was so important getting back to his usual self

432JuanMata

even in the early games, you could see he’s improved from last season. looks like he’s really taken on board the challenge from Henderson.
Exactly said it in the Shaw thread same with him and Telles, it’s like a kick the ass. The good thing is he responded. I don’t expect the performances he pulled for years when he was the best in the world but he dropped off so bad. He has been great this season

Exactly said it in the Shaw thread same with him and Telles, it’s like a kick the ass. The good thing is he responded. I don’t expect the performances he pulled for years when he was the best in the world but he dropped off so bad. He has been great this season
its brilliant. We now have a great deal of competition throughout the squad - and based on the last few games, we can see they are driving each other on.

Devil may care

Made a couple of decent stops in the first half, you'd expect him to make them but his concentration was where he'd been getting caught out, he's responded to the presence of Henderson well.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's back to his best this season. Keep Henderson just for the fact that it lights a fire under his ass.

432JuanMata

Another point I love when this thread is quiet, like the good owl days. Unless he had a worldie not much was said because we expect him to be class and he would. Class is permanent

Alemar

Clean sheet, one wonderful save from Konate header, kept concentration and easily handled everything else (though he wasn’t tested that much today)

yfoFC

That point blank save was massive especially given the time it occurred, Henderson might be good but he doesn't have De Gea's cat reflexes. Can't be taught that

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Never doubted he would find his form again.
Me neither. The disrespect show to him on here was unbelivable at times. 5 times PL team of the year, 4 times Matt Busby player of the year and 3 times player of the year as voted by his own team mates. People give up so quickly and that was even before they thought of Henderson as an option. Just a straight swap for Romero. The man has not turned 30 year and is a goalkeeper. People forgot the bargain we got in a 35 year old VDS. If we behaved the same way other clubs would then someone else would get a similar bargain in De Gea.

Never doubted he would find his form again.
im a big fan of his, and always said he deserves far more respect, and to be the undisputed no 1 this season. However, I have had my doubts. as he’s had too many clangers - but he deserves our patience to see if he can get back into form, which we have given him.

it wasn’t certain that he would regain form, but very glad he has.

Art

Art the artist
David getting back to his prime will be an unreal asset going far in this competition.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Another solid performance and to think some wanted him sold and replaced with Henderson!

ColvaleGoa

David de God is back. I hope it is "thou shall not pass " performance against the Arsenal.

His couple of saves from yesterday are not highlighted because of the team performance. They were Prime Dave Saves material.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Hopefully the competition for places brings out the best in him.
Nothing wrong with competition and that may be a factor in this. It’s just lovely to see people finally seeing what a lot have been confident of despite the odd off day.

Foxbatt

I saw that he has become more vocal and animated now. That is a good thing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I saw that he has become more vocal and animated now. That is a good thing.
I've been wondering to what extent he has actually become more vocal or whether we're just noticing it more without crowds?

I mean would we actually know when a goalkeeper is yelling at his defence normally? Obviously we would if they were being very animated and demonstrative but you can give your teammates a bollocking without drawing any attention to yourself too.

It would be strange if he just suddenly started being more vocal given he's been a senior player for quite a while at this point. But maybe.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
I've personally been very critical of De Gea ever since the 2018 WC and hold him partly accountable for us missing CL last season as it was a number of costly mistakes of his towards the end of the 2019 season which seen us drop out of the CL spots.

However happy to eat humble pie and admit he has been much more consistent this season, particularly the last few games. I've felt he's always had a mistake in him for the last few years but actually feeling a bit more reassured now, I'm sure the defence have noticed the improvement too and it's given them more confidence.

I still have doubts whether a 5 year contract at the end of 18/19 season was the right idea especially with Henderson knocking on the door. But pleased to see him performing consistently again, long may it continue.

Idxomer

The highlight of the game for United was the way he caught Partey shot with both hands, not many keepers could do that.

TrustInOle

Getting back to his best it seems, proper chuffed for him. On form, there ain't many better goalkeepers in world football.

Saddy

I agree he's looked more commanding this season and he needed the "challenge" of knowing their is a ready made replacement if necessary.

One question - who and how is he coached on saving penalties ?

I'm pretty certain he dives a split second too early and it's mostly the wrong way which tells me it's allowing the taker to put the ball the other side. His stats must be amongst the worst against his peers and I can't really remember any penalty saves

Maybe we should try Pogba in goal for pens ?

TrustInOle

I would agree but only for shot stopping. His kicking, command of area, sweeping, penalty saving are typically subpar at the best of times
Agreed. I am old school though I think a keepers best assets should be their shot stopping, but I can't lie, I do imagine how good he would be if he had Big Pete's defensive command.

Alemar

I'm pretty certain he dives a split second too early and it's mostly the wrong way which tells me it's allowing the taker to put the ball the other side. His stats must be amongst the worst against his peers and I can't really remember any penalty saves
De Gea is too static before penalties. Most of the goalkeepers who save them well do something before the shot: jump, wave hands, move left and right across the line, That sort of thing. De Gea is just static before the shot.

That said, it was again excellent performance against ArsenaL, and the penalty itself was perfect, so he didn’t have chances to save it

Web of Bissaka

He's back to his best?
We're seriously forgetting how damn good he is before isn't it.

This is just an improvement to his past 2-3 years of clownish goalkeeping, no way close to his best.

His handling of crosses are definitely better and good enough now than his prime younger self who is more of a specialized world class shot stopper. Now for me De Gea is more of an all-arounder goalkeeper but a huge drop in that WC shot-stopping abilities. Still need to work on his sweeping but doesn't matter, there are attempts in doing it and so he'll improve. GK's career is long until late 30s so for sure he'll have so many times improving it from real game practices.

Everton 1:3 Man Utd

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Is it really that long? I thought he started underperforming massively a short while after the Spurs game in 2019 where he singlehandedly won us the game in the 2nd half.
It was two years. Started in the 2018 World Cup, continued throughout the 18/19 season for us (incredibly bad for the last month or two of the season but he'd been fairly average for the entire season) and then poor again last season in 19/20. He did have a few good games here and there throughout the two years (particularly that Spurs match) but overall he was well below the level he'd been before that.

Alemar

Against Everton he wasn’t actually involved. A goal conceded, but it was a very difficult shot through the legs of Bissaka and exactly in the corner - also Lindelof must have won the header

Status
Not open for further replies.