Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What’s this? Another top performance from De Gea? But I thought Henderson was the second coming and De Gea was past it and needed selling :lol::lol::lol:

el3mel

He really won me back again. I was all over replacing him last season but he has been fantastic so far. Back to his best.

Red00012

Seems to be that competition has woken him up again from his slumber

PoTMS

May as well give him the assist for the penalty as otherwise we would have been staring down the barrel of another home defeat.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe he needed proper competition

It’s been a big plus to the early part of the season.

making big saves, no real errors, and also being more proactive in coming out.

well done @DDG.

It’s an assumption, but looks like the competition has got him out of his slump. Romero whilst a great back up, was never pushing for anything more. Perhaps it all got too comfortable for DDG. If this is a perm return to form, it’s great news as we can get another 4-5 years out of him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking solid.

Watching Ederson today reminded me once again how much extra scrutiny our goalkeepers come under compared to those of other teams. Statistically speaking, in the last three and a bit PL seasons Ederson has made fewer errors than De Gea in just one.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Big save at 0-0, also good to see him coming out of his box to clear the ball
I couldn't believe it when I seen him coming out of his box. I was watching the West Brom player leaving our defenders behind and thought, oh feck he's through on goal when De Gea appeared and cleared the danger. Can't remember the last time I seen him do that.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
One mistake this season but otherwise he's been brilliant when called upon. I'd say he's nearly back to his very best but nearly is enough to still be one of the best in the world. His best is the best in the world.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is in decline, Henderson is better, overpayed, needs selling etc....how stupid that sounds now. Writing off 30y old gk because of one bad season.

Man Utd 4:1 Istanbul Basaksehir

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
De Gea has been very good lately, however, that goal tonight was on him and once again shows he doesn't know the basics of the game. The announcer went on about how good of a free kick it was. Problem was his positioning. He started in the centre of goal with a left footer on the ball. A left footer from that angle can only go near post. He should be cheating a little to his right. He also has to do better at finding the ball. He dove too late. Should have been a routine save...

Dominos

De Gea has been very good lately, however, that goal tonight was on him and once again shows he doesn't know the basics of the game. The announcer went on about how good of a free kick it was. Problem was his positioning. He started in the centre of goal with a left footer on the ball. A left footer from that angle can only go near post. He should be cheating a little to his right. He also has to do better at finding the ball. He dove too late. Should have been a routine save...
There was right footed player standing over the ball too, unless he's psychic then I'm not sure how he's meant to know who's taking the kick. You also see countless times when keepers gamble early towards the open side then it can get whipped in to the "keepers' side" and they get slated for it.

It's just a good free kick in my opinion.

Doesn't know the basics of the game :lol: it's a damn shame you're not our goalkeeping coach.

Red00012

Agenda much.... right footer also standing at the ball
You should possibly reach out to DDG and let him know the basics of the game . I’m sure he’s be delighted to hear them from you

Tel074

There was right footed player standing over the ball too, unless he's psychic then I'm not sure how he's meant to know who's taking the kick. You also see countless times when keepers gamble early towards the open side then it can get whipped in to the "keepers' side" and they get slated for it.

Doesn't know the basics of the game :lol: it's a damn shame you're not our goalkeeping coach.
Totally agree with you . It just was a really good free kick . That comment " Doesn't know the basics of the game " made me chuckle as well .. The clowns on here who have never kicked a ball in their life but they are experts haha

Totally agree with you . It just was a really good free kick . That comment " Doesn't know the basics of the game " made me chuckle as well .. The clowns on here who have never kicked a ball in their life but they are experts haha
he’s only been no 1 for 11 years at Utd. Just imagine how good he would be if he could learn the basics, rather than bunking off GK school that day.

he’s back in form. On another day, he might have saved the free kick, if positioned differently, but then maybe the opposing player would have gone for the other corner... difficult to criticise when it’s going to the wall side.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Shame about the free kick as he was having a faultless game before that. His distribution especially

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Agenda much.... right footer also standing at the ball
You should possibly reach out to DDG and let him know the basics of the game . I’m sure he’s be delighted to hear them from you
Absolutely no agenda. As a keeper you shuffle. The right footer never made a run at it. When the left footer is stepping to the ball you shift to the right. If he runs over the ball, then you shift back. I've played keeper my entire life and I can guarantee you that if you spoke to De Gea after the match he would tell you he should have saved that. I can also guarantee you that his keeper coach will be talking to him about his positioning in that situation...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

You shuffle across the line as the player is approaching the ball. The left footer comes first and takes it. As he's approaching you shift to your right a bit. If he steps over the ball then you shift back. A left footer can only put that near post. A right footer could put it in either corner and that's where the keeper gets "slated" for cheating. But from that angle, a left footer can only put it near post. It was a good free kick. Not a great free kick. In fact, I would have saved that

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Based on his confidence in accusing a top level goalkeeper of not knowing the basics of the game, I would guess that @SadlerMUFC is less likely to be someone who has never kicked a ball in his life and more likely to be someone who has played football at a low level. Because it's the type of thing someone who has played at that level says, totally unaware that the player they're commenting on is operating at a level so far beyond their own experience of the game that they might as well be watching a different sport.

Essentially, being somewhere adrift on Mt. Stupid:

Or maybe I'm wrong and he actually has never played football, in which case he should be congratulated on his confidence. Or, he's actually Peter Schmeichel and we should listen to him.

Edit: genuinely posted that before I saw him say he has played goalkeeper all his life and that he would have saved it. I am so pleased with myself for guessing correctly.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Absolutely no agenda. As a keeper you shuffle. The right footer never made a run at it. When the left footer is stepping to the ball you shift to the right. If he runs over the ball, then you shift back. I've played keeper my entire life and I can guarantee you that if you spoke to De Gea after the match he would tell you he should have saved that. I can also guarantee you that his keeper coach will be talking to him about his positioning in that situation...
What happens if you shift to the right but the ball goes left?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Based on his confidence in accusing a top level goalkeeper of not knowing the basics of the game, I would guess that @SadlerMUFC is less likely to be someone who has never kicked a ball in his life and more likely to be someone who has played football at a low level. Because it's the type of thing someone who has played at that level says, totally unaware that the player they're commenting on is operating at a level so far beyond their own experience of the game that they might as well be watching a different sport.

Essentially, being somewhere adrift on Mt. Stupid:

Or maybe I'm wrong and he actually has never played football, in which case he should be congratulated on his confidence. Or, he's actually Peter Schmeichel and we should listen to him.

Edit: genuinely posted that before I saw him say he has played goalkeeper all his life and that he would have saved it. I am so pleased with myself for guessing correctly.
I don't really give a f*ck what you think. I would have saved that. He had poor positioning. Not my fault if you don't understand the position. This isn't the first time he's had poor positioning. There have been other times as well that only keepers pick up on. It was a basic positioning error. Look at where that left footer is taking the free kick from and tell me where he can put that ball. It can't go top right unless he used the outside of his boot. A shot to the top right with his instep will be curving across goal and be a routine save. So he can only go to De Gea's right yet De Gea is standing in the middle of the goal??? And you want to argue that he's not in poor position? Give your head a shake...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Ok...obvious exaggeration that I would hope people could see though. But I forgot that everyone on TheCaf takes everything literal. So for your benefit, allow me to rephrase that.

"De Gea once again proves that he still needs to improve on the basics of the game". And yes, De Gea has proven several times that his positioning is one of the weakest parts of his game. Mean while a keeper like VDS was so good at the basics that he was able to play at the highest level right into his 40's. And yes, VDS would have also saved that shot. Easily...

Tel074

I don't really give a f*ck what you think. I would have saved that. He had poor positioning. Not my fault if you don't understand the position. This isn't the first time he's had poor positioning. There have been other times as well that only keepers pick up on. It was a basic positioning error. Look at where that left footer is taking the free kick from and tell me where he can put that ball. It can't go top right unless he used the outside of his boot. A shot to the top right with his instep will be curving across goal and be a routine save. So he can only go to De Gea's right yet De Gea is standing in the middle of the goal??? And you want to argue that he's not in poor position? Give your head a shake...
If you are being serious you need help . You would have saved that hahahaha :eek:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You're right, it isn't your fault that I don't understand the position. Nor is it my fault that you think you do. It's just the way we are I suppose.

I'll be sure to get in goal the next time I'm having a kick-about in my local park though. See if I get gifted with the magic goalkeeper-eyesight that allows me to know more about top level goalkeeping than a top level professional goalkeeper and his top level professional goalkeeping coaches.

Maybe afterwards I'll have a go in CM and see if I can give Bruno Fernandes a few pointers. Then join Chess.com and tell Magnus Carlsen what's what. And finally go to mass and become pope. I'm free this weekend anyway.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looking back at it I think he could’ve and maybe should’ve saved it. He’s been in form this season though, he’s not going to be perfect all season and it’s not nearly as bad as the errors he made last season.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You're right, it isn't your fault that I don't understand the position. Nor is it my fault that you think you do. It's just the way we are I suppose.

I'll be sure to get in goal the next time I'm having a kick-about in my local park though. See if I get gifted with the magic goalkeeper-eyesight that allows me to know more about top level goalkeeping than a top level professional goalkeeper and his top level professional goalkeeping coaches.

Maybe afterwards I'll have a go in CM and see if I can give Bruno Fernandes a few pointers. Then join Chess.com and tell Magnus Carlsen what's what. And finally go to mass and become pope. I'm free this weekend anyway.
What about what I have said is wrong? I'm curious. So in your head "if De Gea didn't save it nobody could". If only football was that simple. I can 100% guarantee you that he is kicking himself over that goal. With a left footer taking a shot from that angle, he should be cheating to his right. I'm sorry if you don't understand this. Watch the goal. His starting position is centre of goal. That is wrong for a left footer who can only go near side....

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Has anyone got a better angle of the Free Kick? It looks like the point of entry into the goal is actually right inside the post (it just looks further in because of the swerve)

Sylar

:lol: I love the arrogance of somebody on here slating a top keeper and a contender (for many years) as best keeper in the world with regards to understanding the basics.
of course if you asked DDG he would say he should have saved it. He would say that for any goal he concedes, even ones that are unreachable.

The freekick was good quality. Also ive seen the opposite side of the box, a right footer put it in the other corner, so imagine DDG takes a step and is then beaten and then it would be all the whole 'why set up a wall, if hes not going to trust it, blah blah blah'

DDG has generally been good this season. Wondering if its due to actual competition ( Henderson) rather than somebody whos not willing to fight for it (Romero)

romufc

Ofcourse DDG would be upset because a goal keeper of his quality should be doing better. However; it doesn't count as a mistake.

He was also probably expecting the right footer to take it. VIsca was their primary threat, the captain and had a few good shots on goal.

Perhaps he got caught by surprise.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Certainly feel less apprehensive over him this season. His distribution has also improved which is good to see.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What about what I have said is wrong? I'm curious. So in your head "if De Gea didn't save it nobody could". If only football was that simple. I can 100% guarantee you that he is kicking himself over that goal. With a left footer taking a shot from that angle, he should be cheating to his right. I'm sorry if you don't understand this. Watch the goal. His starting position is centre of goal. That is wrong for a left footer who can only go near side....
That's not true, a left footer could swing the ball over the wall and into the far corner. Not the most common option but still, it happens.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If DDG couldn't save it, a nobody on the caf definitely wouldn't either.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That's not true, a left footer could swing the ball over the wall and into the far corner. Not the most common option but still, it happens.
From that angle, a left footed shot to the tight corner will be curving away from goal and be easily saved. From that angle, to take that top right corner he would likely have to use the outside of his foot, which he isn't going to do

Status
Not open for further replies.