Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember the geese

There probably isn't much between him and Henderson. De Gea is perhaps a slightly better shot stopper (Henderson is very good in this area also), but Henderson seems more proactive/assertive. He may not be the answer, but I don't think De Gea is either. Therefore he deserves his chance. I'd like to see our wage bill back under control and if you have two players of a similar ability, I'd rather back the lesser earner. Particularly if he is younger.

Cecc07

Not at fault for any of the 3 goal conceded. My question is where is our 80mln captain?

sillwuka

We have to accept that we won't win a league title with David, let's thank him for his service and go for Henderson next year.

He just doesn't seem to have that commanding aura - keepers like Emi Martinez and Ederson fly off their line and anticipate that Schmeichel esque. We need to try something different. Same player, same results you see.

Maureen-yo

Not at fault for any of the 3 goal conceded. My question is where is our 80mln captain?
The third goal is definitely on him. He could have collected the ball but didn't, showing his long standing aversion to coming off of his line. He could have made himself big and taken a hit but instead turned his back away from the ball and player.
Harry Maguire was done by the deflection on the cross.

Gythio

We have to accept that we won't win a league title with David, let's thank him for his service and go for Henderson next year.

He just doesn't seem to have that commanding aura - keepers like Emi Martinez and Ederson fly off their line and anticipate that Schmeichel esque. We need to try something different. Same player, same results you see.
We've won the league with De Gea. Agree that Henderson deserves an honest chance though, David has declined massively these past couple of years.

sillwuka

We've won the league with De Gea. Agree that Henderson deserves an honest chance though, David has declined massively these past couple of years.
Ah sorry I meant 'win it again'.

It's a strange feeling as we are used to Dave in net but I would look to see how the organisation of our backline changes, for better or for worse..

Buffalo Bills

Romero and Henderson were enough for us.

We never needed 10 out of 10 goal keeping when trying to build a team up; especially when we have to address areas such as defenders and even if we did - Henderson and Romero were good enough to cover up the gaps until the end where we can get that world class well rounded goal keeper if needed.

He just isnt well rounded.

We bash Martial inability to make runs and play like a poacher, Wan Bissaka's inability to make a cross, Pogba's inability to play like an energetic midfielder and yet De Gea has arguably been here for a decade now working off a single reflex ability.

I appreciate his time here - but it will be a big help for us when he goes. Big contract for a player for a single world class talent.

100%

Oranges038

Posted this is another thread. Schmeichel describing Ben Foster in relation to how a goalkeeper must fit the team style. I think a lot what he says here can be applied to De Gea now.

Dearg hÉireann

The time has definitely come to give Henderson a good run in goal.

DDG has made so many errors over the past couple of seasons and whether or not Henderson is good enough long term to be our number 1, Ole has to be brave and show some balls because if he doesn't he is going to come across as very weak and indecisive

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Posted this is another thread. Schmeichel describing Ben Foster in relation to how a goalkeeper must fit the team style. I think a lot what he says here can be applied to De Gea now.

Absolutely, and when the best goalkeeper ever speaks, you listen.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
De Gea doesnt inspire any confidence from our defence. I dont think it is complete coincidence that all the defenders we buy seem to decline and suddenly become shit. The common factor has been the goalkeeper, who is well known for not being particularly vocal or commanding.

De Gea was always a fantastic shot stopper - he made saves that he had no right to make, and won us points single handedly as a result. However aside from this, the other facets of his game have always been lacklustre. Unfortunately, it seems that De Gea's reactions and shot stopping ability has either declined, or for whatever reason is no longer enough to get us through matches.

In the few games where we saw Henderson, I thought it was obvious how much more confidence he appeared to give the defenders. He was more vocal, more commanding, more dominating (not to mention better distribution and better at rushing out). These are traits that are required for a GK for a top side, and unfortunately De Gea has been unable to acquire them.

It is time to give Henderson a chance. We may concede the occasional goal where we think "De Gea may have saved that", but we will arguably concede far fewer goals thanks to improved communication and confidence among our back line.
I've thought about this quite a bit too.

Even thinking back to the days of VDS, whenever he got injured and PIG or Foster went in goal, our back four didn't seem as settled and composed. And even that was with a world class defense including Rio, Vidic, and Evra - a far cry from what we have now.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

His positioning affects the whole mentality of the team, he's scared to come off his line so the team accommodate this.

Look at the pass from Henderson against West Ham ,De Gea doesnt do this because he's not pro active enough and we'd have probably not won that game.

He turned away from the ball for RBL's 3rd, that's unforgivable.

I'm starting to believe that we'll improve defensively if Henderson is given a run of games.

Mr PG

Degea was culpable for either one or both Soton goals depending on how you look at it and could surely have made more of an effort for 1st goal and criminal for the 3rd against Leipzig. I feared the worst and told my mates Degea would cost us if he returned as he always has this fear creep in him whenever he's injured like he did against Soton. But more I blame the guy who played him with Henderson on the bench. We would never have beaten West Ham without the comeback 1st goal resulting from his long kick so for Ole to go back and resort back to DeGea just leaves a pang of regret and I detest Ole for it.

Idxomer

Not good enough, the hesitation to come off his line will always make this team looks worse defensively than it is.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Made 1 good save (Mahrez), came out of the box well once, had nothing to do besides that.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Surprised nobody has claimed it’s his fault we didn’t win yet. Did exactly what we needed him to today.

Nick7

Did well overall, but wasn’t really tested.

De Geas distribution is awful, other than that he didn’t have a lot to do.
appalling isn’t it. Just seems to be getting worse. I can’t understand how he struggles so much to get the ball into the air. It seems most of his kicks are daisy cutters that go straight to the opposition.

Foxbatt

Did well overall, but wasn’t really tested.

appalling isn’t it. Just seems to be getting worse. I can’t understand how he struggles so much to get the ball into the air. It seems most of his kicks are daisy cutters that go straight to the opposition.
Because he does not practice kicking. If you do not practice kicking then you cannot kick during the match.

arnie_ni

Just have to find some stick to beat him with today eh?

Ederson is supposed to be some ball playing gk and his kicking was worse

MAME DIOUF 32

Seriously I don't understand how his kicking is so bad when he's been a pro at the top level for over a decade.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This club hasn’t had a player who can cross a football for six years, let that sink in. Telles, who’s well known for his delivery looks like he’s regressing in that area.
Surely it's too quickly for a player to regress. They must be being told something about changing their delivery/long balls.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Surely it's too quickly for a player to regress. They must be being told something about changing their delivery/long balls.
It’s all about the coaching, there’s a lot of truth to the running joke on this forum about players turning to shit when they come to this club. Bruno’s the only one who’s held up for a decent amount of time.

Mindhunter

Although I want him to be replaced, he was really good today. He deserves credit when we don't concede especially since he always get the blame for goals. He kept us in the game with that save and was generally safe today.

His distribution may not be the best but City's tactics were to disrupt our eagerness to build from the back. We don't have midfielders who are comfortable on the ball and so most of the time there was no outlet. Blaming him for distribution today is incredibly harsh. Deserves the clean sheet today.

Overall though, we need to look ahead and replace him soon - preferably with someone who can get off his line to sweep balls an make himself bigger during corners, set-pieces, and one-on-one situations.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He doesn't make this kind of saves anymore now does he.
His saves nowadays seem "slow" - is he declining or improving?

Video of his saves from the season just gone:

There are plenty of saves there as good or better than the ones in the video you posted.

The problem isn't his reflexes or an inability to make excellent saves, it's the stupid mistakes he's been making over the last few years. The large majority of which involved shots he had seemingly comfortably covered going in through/off his hands.

Whatever has gone wrong for him, its gone wrong inside his head.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When you lose something then you see what you have lost. He is among best gk in the league and i hope that this will be the end of Ole trying to find games for Hendo.
Ddg is no1 and he must play every game. Hendo can play in league cup and that is it

izec

When you lose something then you see what you have lost. He is among best gk in the league and i hope that this will be the end of Ole trying to find games for Hendo.
Ddg is no1 and he must play every game. Hendo can play in league cup and that is it
:lol:

We've lsot nothing, Henderson has been as bad/good today as De Gea over the last 2 years on average. But Henderson can get better, De Gea will stay average for United, since it is a mentality issue.

UbicaMekogSrca

Supports
FK Sloboda
This.People are harsh on DDG.Neur,Oblak, etc al have mistake in them but are still World Class.Just like DDG.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

We've lsot nothing, Henderson has been as bad/good today as De Gea over the last 2 years on average. But Henderson can get better, De Gea will stay shite for United, since it is a mentality issue.
He is in top 5 gk in Europe. He had 2 average seasons after 6 excellent seasons. And he is 30y old. Next 5 years he is our no1

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

For sure he is. Based on the last 2 seasons, i doubt he is even top 20. You know it as well
Ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Neuer and Oblak are better now, i admit that. Except them i don't see any keeper for who i would say that is clearly better. And yes, not even Alisson or whoever

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
De Gea is number 1 and rightly so. Today showed that Henderson’s clearly not ready to overtake that spot. De Gea is still Spains no1 and United no1. There’s nothing to discuss about.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Neuer and Oblak are better now, i admit that. Except them i don't see any keeper for who i would say that is clearly better. And yes, not even Alisson or whoever
Allison is better, not many mistakes I can think of and some very good saves, and last 2 seasons Ter Stegen was far better too, kept Barca in the league. DDG has been 1 tier below that since 2019.
Still number 1 for me, and like Pogba, seems to be a player everybody loves to hate.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Allison is better, not many mistakes I can think of and some very good saves, and last 2 seasons Ter Stegen was far better too, kept Barca in the league. DDG has been 1 tier below that since 2019.
Still number 1 for me, and like Pogba, seems to be a player everybody loves to hate.
I get for Pogba but why DDG. He was 100% pro last 8 years. Never did a single bad thing plus he was our best player in half of those seasons. I don't get it. From all players in our squad, Dave is the last one who deserves any hate or dislike

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I get for Pogba but why DDG. He was 100% pro last 8 years. Never did a single bad thing plus he was our best player in half of those seasons. I don't get it. From all players in our squad, Dave is the last one who deserves any hate or dislike
He's put under the microscope in a way that will make any player ever look awful

Welbeckham

There are some deluded people in here. ”Top 5 GK in Europe” when he actually isn’t a top 10 GK in the Premier League.

All of these are better in PL:
1. Alisson
2. Lloris
3. Martinez
4. Rui Patricio
5. Schmeichel
6. Leno
7. Pope
8. Fabianski
9. Mendy
10. McCarthy

...I could still possibly add Matty Ryan, Areola, Guaita, Ederson is debatable etc.

And outside PL, just off the top of my head:
1. Neuer
2. Oblak
3. Ter Stegen
4. Courtois
5. Navas
6. Szczesny
7. Hradecky
8. Sommer
9. Donnarumma
10. Anthony Lopes
11. Handanovic

Does not mean he can’t still do the job on his day, but most days he can’t and that’s not acceptable. Compared with these other keepers, he’s very limited and avoids risks and responsibility. His mistakes are almost never due to taking risks, which makes those mistakes happening every second or third game even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.