Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welbeckham

Bad performance yet again. Always makes things very hard for his defenders by being a coward and reading the game poorly. Invites pressure by not collecting any easy crosses and through balls. And concedes very soft goals regularly nowadays. Should’ve been dropped years ago.

el3mel

I won't drop him, just because all honestly I don't trust Henderson as a main starter at all at the moment. He needs to improve though. He literally shit the bed under high pressure, similar to Maguire and Lindelof as well.

Doracle

Scholes just said he should have done better with the goal, which echoes my thoughts watching it at the time. A couple of other questionable moments as well. Just no longer gives the sense of confidence that Henderson has offered in recent matches. This really should have been a match that Henderson started.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I won't drop him, just because all honestly I don't trust Henderson as a main starter at all at the moment. He needs to improve though. He literally shit the bed under high pressure, similar to Maguire and Lindelof as well.
I still don't know about dropping DDG, it's a big call, but how can say you can't trust Henderson, he has barely been given a chance. Playing a game every few weeks is hard for any player, even harder for keeper.

If I was the manager, I would give Henderson a run to see how he gets on so that I can better plan for the summer.

evil_geko

Good to see Ole not dropping him and knee-jerking like half of the Caf would have him do so.

Born2Lose

Newcastle got a lot of joy with that cross into the box knowing that DDG unlike any competent keeper would stay rooted to his line.

largelyworried

Poor again. The goal was painfully similar to the West Brom goal. Fails to handle a ball he should have grabbed or punched, only to see a defender make a mistake and the goal go in. That’s exactly why you need a keeper to take those high balls. Maguire should probably have done better, but we’re going to keep conceding these goals while our keeper is too timid to come off his line and claim them. It’s such an easy tactic for the opposition.

That pass straight to a Newcastle player early on was worrying too, anything could had happened with that.

Classical Mechanic

Newcastle got a lot of joy with that cross into the box knowing that DDG unlike any competent keeper would stay rooted to his line.
I thought that was their plan, the took short corners to draw our defenders out, then put it back in knowing DDG would stay on his line meaning our defenders would have to scramble back to deal with it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would absolutely play Henderson ahead of him but even still, the rush to say "Henderson would have come out and caught that" every single time a cross comes in is ridiculous.

I don't know what people imagine the more dominant Henderson will do but if they expect him to never stay on his line and never leave crosses to his defenders then they'll be disappointed. Because even "dominant" keepers sometimes let their CBs deal with crosses, even when it's possible for them to come out and claim it themselves.

Dan_F

Did a good job of making easy saves look spectacular tonight. The kind where he could probably jump and head it away, but on first viewing looked like it was going top corner.

Classical Mechanic

I would absolutely play Henderson ahead of him but even still, the rush to say "Henderson would have come out and caught that" every single time a cross comes in is ridiculous.

I don't know what people imagine the more dominant Henderson will do but if they expect him to never stay on his line and never leave crosses to his defenders then they'll be disappointed. Because even "dominant" keepers sometimes let their CBs deal with crosses, even when it's possible for them to come out and claim it themselves.
I take your point generally but on those set-pieces a commanding keeper would come out. The defensive line was pushed up by Newcastle taking it short and passing it back. If they held their line it would would be the keeper vs any attacker that could beat the offside trap. You back the guy facing the ball that can use his hands in that match up.

I think that’s why Newcastle took those set-pieces like that so our defence would be on the back foot trying to get back in.

dabeast

Needed to claim the high cross that Maguire headed before their goal and then was beaten by a bouncing ball at normal height at his near post. Destabilizing our defence and costing us points.

Needs to be benched until Henderson proves he is not good enough. No other club is going to buy him anyway at these wages, so we are stuck with him. We are Man Utd, we should be good.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

People aren't saying it for every single cross, they are saying it for the one's that he absolutely should be coming for, like when it's right on his own 6 yard box or a high, slow cross where he could easily use his reach advantage. It's not even a case of high praise for Deano, saying "he would of come for that", it's the fact that most other keepers, even Sunday League keepers would come for some of the crosses that De Gea doesn't.
He comes for nothing and it's a major problem because it doesn't matter how good your centre backs are, you can't expect them to win every single header in their box, often up against tall, powerful forwards who are expected to win their fair share of headers too.

On top of that, even if we do win the first header, it's another 50/50 as to who it's going to fall to, and could easily lead to another chance for the opposition, just like tonight for Newcastle's goal.

All of this chaos could often easily be avoided if De Gea was capable of reading the danger and acting upon it, as most keepers are paid to do.
It's surely not expecting too much of the highest paid player in the league.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
That bloody contract.
Tried to warn against it for about a year beforehand because I seen this scenario coming a mile off.
Mostly got told I hadn't a clue what I was on about and apparently bumping up his wages up was suddenly going to transform him into some brave, commanding, modern day sweeper keeper.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I take your point generally but on those set-pieces a commanding keeper would come out. The defensive line was pushed up by Newcastle taking it short and passing it back. If they held their line it would would be the keeper vs any attacker that could beat the offside trap. You back the guy facing the ball that can use his hands in that match up.

I think that’s why Newcastle took those set-pieces like that so our defence would be on the back foot trying to get back in.
Thing is I saw people similarly complain about De Gea during set pieces in the past only for Henderson to stay on his line in the exact same situations. Most notably in the game against Southampton where De Gea got injured, where we saw both goalkeepers against the same opposition dealing with their set pieces (that were supposedly showing up De Gea's weaknesses) in exactly the same way.

Which isn't to say that De Gea shouldn't be dealing with some of them better, or that Henderson isn't better at dealing with them, or that Henderson shouldn't be playing ahead of him generally. But literally any chance that involves a cross or De Gea staying on his line sees him get criticism at this point, because people have that narrative in their head. And Henderson is similarly being imagined as someone who will never show similar weaknesses, which is setting him up to disappoint.

Classical Mechanic

Thing is I saw people similarly complain about De Gea during set pieces in the past only for Henderson to stay on his line in the exact same situations. Most notably in the game against Southampton where De Gea got injured, where we saw both goalkeepers against the same opposition dealing with their set pieces (that were supposedly showing up De Gea's weaknesses) in exactly the same way.

Which isn't to say that De Gea shouldn't be dealing with some of them better, or that Henderson isn't better at dealing with them, or that Henderson shouldn't be playing ahead of him generally. But literally any chance that involves a cross or De Gea staying on his line sees him get criticism at this point, because people have that narrative in their head. And Henderson is similarly being imagined as someone who will never show similar weaknesses, which is setting him up to disappoint.
I don’t disagree. I’ve heard some people claiming Dean would come for some stuff he wouldn’t. By the same token whenever Dean plays you get DDG fans claiming a victory every time he doesn’t come for a cross regardless if he could or not.

RedDevil@84

As per caf, De Gea should be running out like a mad man, the moment someone puts a ball in the air that might land anywhere in the box. The collective groan on every cross is completely hilarious.
Yes, he should come out often and collect the cross, but looking at every cross and wanting him flying over an entire crowd of attack and defense to catch the ball is way over the board.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't know, it seems to me like he makes regular saves look world class. Watching the replay the shot goes straight at him so I'd expect him to parry the ball AT LEAST.

I have to say though, he's being very consistent with staying rooted to the goal line. You always get the same from him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don’t disagree. I’ve heard some people claiming Dean would come for some stuff he wouldn’t. By the same token whenever Dean plays you get DDG fans claiming a victory every time he doesn’t come for a cross regardless if he could or not.
Yep.

And I'm sure when De Gea makes an excellent save some posters will wrongly say Henderson wouldn't be able to do the same, just as when Henderson is seen shouting at his defenders people will wrongly say De Gea is never that vocal. It's basically people picking one and setting the other up for criticism. Which leaves us in a weird position where both are facing an insane amount of scrutiny.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
His saves are spectacular. Fantasic shotstopper. Agilitywise nobody is better. However still suspect on crosses and looks timid in certain situations.
You sure about that? Statistically he's been one of the worst shot stoppers in the league in the last couple of seasons. Last time I checked this season his save % was 60% which is awful. 2 out of 5 shots on target against him is a goal

simplyared

You sure about that? Statistically he's been one of the worst shot stoppers in the league in the last couple of seasons. Last time I checked this season his save % was 60% which is awful. 2 out of 5 shots on target against him is a goal
Not checked any stats. Going on what I've seen. Some of the saves he pulls off are incredible.

arthurka

Defenders having problems with headers and are afraid to head it to a corner. DDG brings zero confidence to this defense. Poor in the air and distribution, now his shot stopping is ok at best. He needs to be benched.

Status
Not open for further replies.