Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFLUTION

He made us not lose the game. Deserves a lot of credit for these type of appearances, but most of the talk we hear on the forum is how we need a new goalkeeper.

He saves us regularly, but it's not noticed much because it isn't as good as the peak De Gea overall. But he saves us a lot of points over the season. Way more than when we miss points due to his flops.

It's frustrating when he drops, but overall he saves us more than if we went with a normal keeper I feel. Henderson should get some more games here and there, to make De Gea tick.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s always been an awful kicker. The save was great. It doesn’t hide the fact that he’s now throwing goals in with alarming regularity and has been doing for a couple of seasons. If he stops doing that he’ll get more credit for the great saves.

largelyworried

He made us not lose the game. Deserves a lot of credit for these type of appearances, but most of the talk we hear on the forum is how we need a new goalkeeper.

He saves us regularly, but it's not noticed much because it isn't as good as the peak De Gea overall. But he saves us a lot of points over the season. Way more than when we miss points due to his flops.

It's frustrating when he drops, but overall he saves us more than if we went with a normal keeper I feel. Henderson should get some more games here and there, to make De Gea tick.
He was good yesterday. However I would point out the line that "he saves us a lot of points over the season" isn't really true. His goals conceded vs xG is only slightly better than 0 (+0.3), which mean's he only slightly better than flat average.

What happens with De Gea is that he has the occasional stand out save that's really memorable, but some of the goals he concedes are actually pretty preventable. Overall they largely cancel each other out and he saves us no more than a mid-table keeper. He's the equivalent of a striker who bangs in the odd screamer, but overall is only getting a goal every 4 games.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Did he though? I think that claim should be reserved for truly world class saves that the vast majority of keepers wouldn't get to. I'd hardly put this save in that category. It was good reactions to get a strong hand on it, but ultimately the shot was close to him and all he had to do was get his hand up in time.

He rarely makes saves these days that other good keepers wouldn't make. People seem to be giving him too much credit for fairly basic saves. There was a video posted a couple of pages back of his saves this season and only two of them were particularly noteworthy that might have got past the average keeper. Even those two weren't 'that' amazing, hardly to the level that he used to show. Even if they were, he's cost us significantly more than two goals this season.

ROFLUTION

Did he though? I think that claim should be reserved for truly world class saves that the vast majority of keepers wouldn't get to. I'd hardly put this save in that category. It was good reactions to get a strong hand on it, but ultimately the shot was close to him and all he had to do was get his hand up in time.

He rarely makes saves these days that other good keepers wouldn't make. People seem to be giving him too much credit for fairly basic saves. There was a video posted a couple of pages back of his saves this season and only two of them were particularly noteworthy that might have got past the average keeper. Even those two weren't 'that' amazing, hardly to the level that he used to show. Even if they were, he's cost us significantly more than two goals this season.
"all he had to do was get his hand up in time" - Really? Oh well, that classifies a lot of Schmeichel's great saves too.

MadDogg

"all he had to do was get his hand up in time" - Really? Oh well, that classifies a lot of Schmeichel's great saves too.
It was right next to him. The only thing that made it somewhat difficult is that he was moving the other way. It was a good save but hardly amazing.

Ultimately it comes down to one question. Do you think most good keepers would save it? I do, so it's not one I would claim that he 'saved us'.

ROFLUTION

It was right next to him. The only thing that made it somewhat difficult is that he was moving the other way. It was a good save but hardly amazing.

Ultimately it comes down to one question. Do you think most good keepers would save it? I do, so it's not one I would claim that he 'saved us'.
I really don't. I think you see it in the light of you having slow-motion to judge the save.

In real-time that is a really tough save to make, as the shot is hit hard and most keepers would have just deflected it into the net, had they got their hand on it.

You need to have your placement of the hand in the right place too as well as covering most of the goal, it's not just luck that the hand is there. De Gea has it in the optimal place, and that's because he's a solid gk. A normal one might not have.

iHicksy

He’s always been an awful kicker. The save was great. It doesn’t hide the fact that he’s now throwing goals in with alarming regularity and has been doing for a couple of seasons. If he stops doing that he’ll get more credit for the great saves.
Not true. Actually it was one of his strongest attributes when he first joined and was highlighted by coaches and fans. Everyone was amazed at how incredibly accurate his kicking was and we could launch attacks via it. It's one of the most baffling assets of his game in how much he's regressed. I don't know if it's a coaching thing or what. Did he get really good at kicking accuracy in training at Athletico and then it's not something we ask of our keepers in training so he's lost the ability? Either way it's bizarre.

Davie Moyes

Not true. Actually it was one of his strongest attributes when he first joined and was highlighted by coaches and fans. Everyone was amazed at how incredibly accurate his kicking was and we could launch attacks via it. It's one of the most baffling assets of his game in how much he's regressed. I don't know if it's a coaching thing or what. Did he get really good at kicking accuracy in training at Athletico and then it's not something we ask of our keepers in training so he's lost the ability? Either way it's bizarre.
Spot on.

MadDogg

I think you're going a bit overboard with how good his passing was, but I do agree that he has declined over the years. He was definitely better when he first joined us and then slowly dropped off after that.

VDS actually did the same. When he joined us he was a great passer but by the end he was only 'good' at best. We've gone through a few different managers and goalkeeping coaches in that time, so it would be strange if it's something we're doing wrong. You'd think at least one of them would have turned things around while they were here.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
his kicking/passing has varied by manager. it was good under lvg and in his first season, average to bad every other time.
still like his reflexes. that was a tough save from ziyech.

Giggs' right foot

Personal reasons I guess can be anything between mourning a recently deceased relative or a personal disagreement with Ole.

Time will tell.

Devil81

Let's all hope and pray this isn't anything to do with the pregnancy.

largelyworried

You fear the worst when its for undisclosed personal reasons. The club just have to give him the space he needs to deal with whatever it is and then hope it gets sorted for the best.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
TBF, I don't think it's around the birth of his child. Edurne commented on her IG posts as recently as 13 hours ago, so it's definitely not a bad news about their kid.

But at the same time, the club and Dave wouldn't mind letting the world know there is any good news on personal front.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Spain this summer
Unless he accepts a massive wage drop at a team like Betis/Granada/Villarreal/Celta, and I'm talking 80% or even 90% reduction in wages, that can't really happen. Maybe 70% reduction at Sevilla. The big 3 are sorted.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Unless he accepts a massive wage drop at a team like Betis/Granada/Villarreal/Celta, and I'm talking 80% or even 90% reduction in wages, that can't really happen. Maybe 70% reduction at Sevilla. The big 3 are sorted.
Unless someone moves obviously, been a lot of talk about Oblak in recent years

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Unless someone moves obviously, been a lot of talk about Oblak in recent years
The only clubs that may need Oblak AND be able to afford him are us and Chelsea though, and I’m not sure Chelsea will be keen on spending another £80m on a goalkeeper after Kepa fiasco.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Became a dad yesterday apparently

I reckon there's some managers who'd be absolute cnuts about their first choice goalkeeper leaving the country in these circumstances.... I'm glad Ole isn't a cnut.

-Supreme-

Became a dad yesterday apparently

I reckon there's some managers who'd be absolute cnuts about their first choice goalkeeper leaving the country in these circumstances.... I'm glad Ole isn't a cnut.
To be fair this isn't a difficult decision when he has a very capable goalie to cover him.

Do you think Ole will allow this to happen for Bruno?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
To be fair this isn't a difficult decision when he has a very capable goalie to cover him.

Do you think Ole will allow this to happen for Bruno?
This is an out of the ordinary situation as I believe de Gea's partner lives in Spain whereas Bruno and most other players live with their wives/girlfriends.

Status
Not open for further replies.