Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedIan

David is god… where all the posters who were slagging him off saying he needs moving in etc…. Eat your words.

redshaw

Was a mega double save in the second half, he's kept us in lots of games and has looked to distribute well. I don't think he's to blame for recent failings like he was before in the past inviting pressure, the midfield and defence in front are really performing poorly this time.

Sylar

Was a mega double save in the second half, he's kept us in lots of games and has looked to distribute well. I don't think he's to blame for recent failings like he was before in the past inviting pressure, the midfield and defence in front are really performing poorly this time.
Yeah they are making mistakes rather than blatant or obvious communication issues.

I think we know what we will get with ddg, but the positives are strong again

arnie_ni

Massive ddg fan but I thought both saves were straightforward tbh

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
David is god… where all the posters who were slagging him off saying he needs moving in etc…. Eat your words.
Still very much here and still very much think his weakness from set pieces is a massive problem, as highlighted again last night with Atalanta's 2nd goal.
Im genuinely baffled how anyone can analyse our vulnerability from crosses/set pieces and not realise that this is the main reason why we are so bad at dealing with them.
What is a basic claim/catch for most goalkeepers becomes a 50/50 chance of a goal against us because our keeper just stands there like a statue and shouts "awayyy!!!" Instead of doing his job and coming out for it.
He could be the best shot stopper in the world for all I care, it's not worth it when he's so poor at the other, equally important, aspects of goal-keeping.

On a positive note, his form has improved alot compared to the last 3 seasons (when even his shot-stopping was nonexistent) but I still think, overall, he's a major liability.

As long as he's our keeper, then, in my opinion, we will not ever have a solid defence no matter who we sign

Reactions: 2cents

tomaldinho1

In all the excitement I forgot about his double save in the 2nd half. As a shot stopper I do really think he is unparalleled when on form.

Oranges038

No pressure on him at all eh? To be ready for the second shot so quickly was brilliant. Whether the shots were right at him or not, they were very good saves.
He saved 2 shots that were right at him. Nothing brilliant about that.

Other than that, still glued to his line, stuck to his post for the first, rocking on his heels for the corner on the second. No intention of coming for any corners or crosses, still quite poor with his passing out. Still no command of his back 4 or his 6 yard box. But he makes a few saves so it's all good.

lex talionis

Made some excellent saves today, sparing us from the humiliation of losing 0-8. None of the 5 were his fault.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
How did David De Gea get a majority to give him man of the match today? He was completely unable to participate in playing out from back, which put us under massive pressure. For most goals kicks, we saw him passing the ball a yard to Maguire then retreating to his goal line. He was simply a liability.

At this point, I don’t care how good De Gea’s shot stopping has been this season. It doesn’t matter how good a keeper is this one facet of the game. Modern goalkeepers can offer so much more. Liverpool, City and Chelsea almost have 12 men with what their goalkeepers offer, both tending the net and sweeping the final third, let alone commanding their area.

Eddy_JukeZ

How did David De Gea get a majority to give him man of the match today? He was completely unable to participate in playing out from back, which put us under massive pressure. For most goals kicks, we saw him passing the ball a yard to Maguire then retreating to his goal line. He was simply a liability.

At this point, I don’t care how good De Gea’s shot stopping has been this season. It doesn’t matter how good a keeper is this one facet of the game. Modern goalkeepers can offer so much more. Liverpool, City and Chelsea almost have 12 men with what their goalkeepers offer, both tending the net and sweeping the final third, let alone commanding their area.
Our problems in playing out from the back are far deeper than De Gea not being the best at it.

Born2Lose

Agreed, his distribution is shocking and if Ole does go it'll be a long term problem for the next manager that comes in.

arnie_ni

Our problems in playing out from the back are far deeper than De Gea not being the best at it.
I could probably go to two hands if I was to count the amount of times we played it short and Fred but mainly mct just stood behind a Liverpool player marking themselves out of the game.

Eddy_JukeZ

I could probably go to two hands if I was to count the amount of times we played it short and Fred but mainly mct just stood behind a Liverpool player marking themselves out of the game.
McTominay does it every game.

It's his biggest problem. Our attempts to play out from the back in that 1st half were nothing short of embarrassing. We looked utterly clueless on how to handle their press.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The whole point of playing out from the back is that you are 11 vs 10, as their goalkeeper won’t be involved. With De Gea, the opposition can go just go man-to-man on us and we have no numerical superiority. Multiple times today we saw De Gea simply give the ball to Maguire a yard away and retreat to his goal line, and then not play any other meaningful role in the move.

First time, I presumed he was injured, but thereafter it was obvious that we were trying to avoid using him.

Eddy_JukeZ

The whole point of playing out from the back is that you are 11 vs 10, as their goalkeeper won’t be involved. With De Gea, the opposition can go just go man-to-man on us and we have no numerical superiority. Multiple times today we saw De Gea simply give the ball to Maguire a yard away and retreat to his goal line, and then not play any other meaningful role in the move.

First time, I presumed he was injured, but thereafter it was obvious that we were trying to avoid using him.
Slot Ederson in that team today and nothing changes.

Ole doesn't know how to coach nor drill a team to be great in possession play nor has he ever exhibited much care for it.

We've always been poor at playing out from the back under him.

De Gea isn't great at distribution, but the issues go far deeper than him. We move the ball extremely slow, too many players occupy the same horizonal line, the forwards doesn't come short to relieve pressure when needed, etc. It's a plethora of issues.

Our entire system this season has been pretty much a back 5 and a front 5 and there's no synergy at all.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Slot Ederson in that team today and nothing changes.

Ole doesn't know how to coach nor drill a team to be great in possession play nor has he ever exhibited much care for it.

We've always been poor at playing out from the back under him.

De Gea isn't great at distribution, but the issues go far deeper than him. We move the ball extremely slow, too many players occupy the same horizonal line, the forwards doesn't come short to relieve pressure when needed, etc. It's a plethora of issues.

Our entire system this season has been pretty much a back 5 and a front 5 and there's no synergy at all.
I’m adamant that having Ederson there instantly makes us a demonstrably better side. He wouldn’t fix a lot of things, but him, Alisson or even Mendy would help a lot in our final third.

Ederson would allow us to play out from the back and give us an extra player; he’ll sweep the final third; and he’ll do a reasonable job of commanding his area. I’ll trade some shot stopping for that every day of the week.

If Pep, Klopp or many other top manager joined United tomorrow, De Gea would have no hope of being first choice at the beginning of next season.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If not for him, last few games could have been even more embarrassing

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's value in the argument that we should have better chance prevention skills and ability on the ball from our goalkeeper than De Gea can offer, as those are indeed now very important aspects of a top level goalkeeper's game. Shot-stopping is great but he'd have to prevent a lot more goals than keepers like Alison or Ederson to match their value. And I mean a lot.

In the midst of a omnishambles like today though, other issues take prominence. With pretty much every aspect of our play misfiring, isolating De Gea's contribution on the ball as a problem is slightly arbitrary.

In reality he got MotM largely by dint of being less involved in the match than our outfield players. There's not much more to it than that.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Warning, trying to point this out to people may drive you insane, I've been painstakingly trying to point out how much of a major problem this is for ten years now, it's the root problem of everything else that's wrong with the team, and therefore, in my opinion, it's our biggest problem.

I'm well aware that there are other things wrong with the club/manager/players but, for me, it's pointless even looking beyond this major concern because we could sign the best back 4 and defensive midfielders in the world and it won't matter, we will still concede a lot of goals because they will be playing in front of a guy who is very possibly the least proactive goalkeeper in the professional game.

I'm genuinely baffled how anyone who has even a basic understanding of football and an ability to weigh up pros and cons can't see how badly De Gea's style of play affects the team.

CONS:

Zero ability to read danger from crosses, position himself and cut them out, he may as well not be there when a cross comes in. This, in my opinion, also affects our attacking play because we would undoubtedly score more goals on the counter attack if he was capable of claiming a few crosses and passing quickly to one of our players (which indeed we do when any of our other keepers play).

Zero ability to be vocal and organise the defence. He's meant to be one of the more senior/experienced players yet he's as timid as a mouse.

Zero ability to read balls in behind and sweep up, which also means we can't play a high defensive line without a simple ball in behind catching us out.

Awful at 1 v 1s, often just retreating backwards and making it easy, instead of coming and spreading himself, narrowing the angle and just generally intimidating the opposition players, as most good goalkeepers do.

Zero ability with distribution, often just playing nothing balls to teammates and then hiding away. Also never makes himself available for a back pass, meaning the defenders have little other option than to put the ball out or just hoof it away and give possession away.

Zero ability to be brave and put his body on the line, the Kluivert goal against Leipzig last season, that effectively knocked us out of the champions League, being a prime example (although it happens all the time).

Is on huge wages of £375,000 a week, a fee we could probably have 2-3 world class players for instead of just him.

Often saves with his feet on occasions when he could easily use his hands, when this happens it's trusting pure blind luck as to who the rebound falls to.

Awful record from penalties, I don't expect a keeper to save penalty, it's a bonus, however, his record, compared to other keepers (saving 1 out of the last 44 I think it is) is just embarrassing and surely raises a few questions.

Embarrassingly, was statistically the worst ever goalkeeper at a world cup since 1966 at the last world cup in 2018. (https://talksport.com/football/393680/manchester-united-david-de-gea-world-cup-2018/).

Considered not good enough to start ahead of Bilbao's Unai Simon for Spain (yet some of our fans still think he's the best keeper in the world, and more worryingly, so does our manager).

PROS:

He's a half decent shot-stopper.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Curious to know if this is on De Gea’s passing being so limited, or the coaching instructing him to do this.

arnie_ni

Curious to know if this is on De Gea’s passing being so limited, or the coaching instructing him to do this.

Avoid awb at all costs either by instruction or not being an idiot. It would be naive to put him under unnecessary pressure.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Really weird thing to take away from yesterdays game. As others pointed out, you could have had Neuer, Ederson or whomever the feck else in there yesterday and it still would have been the same outcome. He’s least of our problems.

De Gea’s distribution has improved this season too, incidentally.

The Oracle

Warning, trying to point this out to people may drive you insane, I've been painstakingly trying to point out how much of a major problem this is for ten years now, it's the root problem of everything else that's wrong with the team, and therefore, in my opinion, it's our biggest problem.

I'm well aware that there are other things wrong with the club/manager/players but, for me, it's pointless even looking beyond this major concern because we could sign the best back 4 and defensive midfielders in the world and it won't matter, we will still concede a lot of goals because they will be playing in front of a guy who is very possibly the least proactive goalkeeper in the professional game.

I'm genuinely baffled how anyone who has even a basic understanding of football and an ability to weigh up pros and cons can't see how badly De Gea's style of play affects the team.

CONS:

Zero ability to read danger from crosses, position himself and cut them out, he may as well not be there when a cross comes in. This, in my opinion, also affects our attacking play because we would undoubtedly score more goals on the counter attack if he was capable of claiming a few crosses and passing quickly to one of our players (which indeed we do when any of our other keepers play).

Zero ability to be vocal and organise the defence. He's meant to be one of the more senior/experienced players yet he's as timid as a mouse.

Zero ability to read balls in behind and sweep up, which also means we can't play a high defensive line without a simple ball in behind catching us out.

Awful at 1 v 1s, often just retreating backwards and making it easy, instead of coming and spreading himself, narrowing the angle and just generally intimidating the opposition players, as most good goalkeepers do.

Zero ability with distribution, often just playing nothing balls to teammates and then hiding away. Also never makes himself available for a back pass, meaning the defenders have little other option than to put the ball out or just hoof it away and give possession away.

Zero ability to be brave and put his body on the line, the Kluivert goal against Leipzig last season, that effectively knocked us out of the champions League, being a prime example (although it happens all the time).

Is on huge wages of £375,000 a week, a fee we could probably have 2-3 world class players for instead of just him.

Often saves with his feet on occasions when he could easily use his hands, when this happens it's trusting pure blind luck as to who the rebound falls to.

Awful record from penalties, I don't expect a keeper to save penalty, it's a bonus, however, his record, compared to other keepers (saving 1 out of the last 44 I think it is) is just embarrassing and surely raises a few questions.

Embarrassingly, was statistically the worst ever goalkeeper at a world cup since 1966 at the last world cup in 2018. (https://talksport.com/football/393680/manchester-united-david-de-gea-world-cup-2018/).

Considered not good enough to start ahead of Bilbao's Unai Simon for Spain (yet some of our fans still think he's the best keeper in the world, and more worryingly, so does our manager).

PROS:

He's a half decent shot-stopper.
I agree with you 110%

Here are Man Utd's 3 x heaviest defeats at Old Trafford in the Premier League:
Utd 1-6 City
Utd 1-6 Spurs
Utd 0-5 Liverpool

Who was in goal for all of those matches?

David De Gea

Oranges038

He is not comfortable on the ball at all.

They are the only two that look for the ball. Fred and McT don't drop into the space in front of him. In fact no one does.

I also don't think he likes letting the ball across him and opening out the play to the other side. He'd also have to give it to AWB too, which is not ideal.

Really weird thing to take away from yesterdays game. As others pointed out, you could have had Neuer, Ederson or whomever the feck else in there yesterday and it still would have been the same outcome. He’s least of our problems.

De Gea’s distribution has improved this season too, incidentally.
There's no way Neuer would accept that shambles of a defence in front of him every week.

Seems DDG likes it though. They can be all over the place and he can make the saves. Like he has some sort of hero complex.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Even with De Gea's limited passing there's no reason for him to favour one side so heavily without other factors at play. The obvious one being that AWB (and our right hand side generally) is a weak spot in terms of playing out from the back and progressing the ball.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

I'd hazard a guess that this is based on instruction as Maguire and Shaw are generally considered to be stronger on the ball than their right hand side counterparts.

jeff_goldblum

It's been understandably lost in the aftermath of yesterday's shitshow, but De Gea's passivity and tendency to stick to his line is a massive problem for us and a big part of why we're so porous. When you have defenders who are slow on the turn or liable to be caught out of position like we do, you need a keeper who can get out quickly and control his area, not one who sits back and allows the opponent time and space to pick his spot.

As good a shot-stopper as he can he, we'd be better off with a less talented keeper who had a better all-round game. As it stands, any half decent ball between the penalty spot and our defensive line is a guaranteed shot on goal. Even when our defenders play well we concede so many goals because De Gea won't take responsibility for his box.

Status
Not open for further replies.