Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If we went really radical and played no goalkeeper whatsoever, maybe. Couple of good saves tonight but they were the sort of saves you would be dissapointed he didn't make.
He only makes them look comfortable because his positing and decision making is very good. They had two 1 vs 1's which you shouldn't necessarily expect your keeper to save, and other keepers would make different decisions which would mean they wouldn't save them (like try go with their hands, or fly out, or dive early the wrong way)

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He is. So many posters on here disrespect him though.

Of course he had torrid 3 seasons but he seems to have come through it and now he’s pretty much where he was — he’s still not as imperious as he was in his prime, but he’s still comfortably one of the best shot stoppers in the world.

He has his weaknesses but I really don’t see many keepers saving all the chances that he saved tonight. His one on one positioning and his reflexes with his feet are incredible. The attribute where he can save with his feet, is very important in one-on-one situations aa he can keep himself big as possible for as long as possible.

NewYorkRed

People will keep disrespecting him, but the man is a ManUtd legend. Some top saves today, although I thought his distribution was poor today. Kept us in the game and for me he’s been the best in the prem this year. Shay given comp from the other day is the biggest joke of all time.

Keeps us out of trouble with one hand, gets us into it with the other.

Some game changing saves tonight but he continually kicked the ball straight to them, and he invites pressure with his refusal to dominate even his line, let alone his area.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
For me, he's topping that United POTY list.
Let's be real there are no other contenders, he's the only one who's showed up this season

Typical really we might of won something had he not had his 2 year dip when the rest of the team was doing 'ok'

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
worth every penny. without him we are at least 2-0 down at half time. He’s really back to his best lately

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It was funny when they tried to surprise him with a shot from their half. DDG never comes out of the line dude, he never come out. Don't you get it.

Another brilliant game. All of them standard Dave saves though. Not exactly breath taking ones.

criticalanalysis

Game summed him up. Brilliant at saving shots, not only that but saving them and not spilling into danger.

Very shakey under the high ball and his kicking annoys me. I'm nitpicking though he's class.
Keeps us out of trouble with one hand, gets us into it with the other.

Some game changing saves tonight but he continually kicked the ball straight to them, and he invites pressure with his refusal to dominate even his line, let alone his area.
Yeah this.

I'll be interested to know his passing stats. I think he barely played it short (under pressure or not) and when it went to him, it pretty much went back out upfield for contested headers i.e not good for keeping possession.

There's almost no composure to his passing/kicking and it seems to be just kicking it as far and hard as possible.

CloneMC16

Great saves. Same as usual. Won't come for crosses. Same as usual. Kept us in the game. Without him, we probably lose.

meamth

He only makes them look comfortable because his positing and decision making is very good. They had two 1 vs 1's which you shouldn't necessarily expect your keeper to save, and other keepers would make different decisions which would mean they wouldn't save them (like try go with their hands, or fly out, or dive early the wrong way)
See Kepa's failure vs Brighton the other day, I will bet my house if De Gea was in that situation, he would've saved it, 100%.

Yes, De Gea's positioning is one of the best at the moment.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Let's be real there are no other contenders, he's the only one who's showed up this season

Typical really we might of won something had he not had his 2 year dip when the rest of the team was doing 'ok'
:lol: It is frustrating. If he showed this kind of performance on that Europa Final, we might have won the game.

Also I think Varane has been very good overall, and Bruno has been awesome in the last two games on his withdrawn role. There's still ample of time to challenge DDG.

Rojow

Felt bad for him today. He deserved the clean sheet but somehow we fecked it up.

united for life

People can keep talking about his distribution, communication with his defenders, etc… for me, he is the reason we are still even thinking of a possible top 4. He’s saved us so many time this season

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Best of the best. Can he make PL team of the year?
Not unless someone cuts both arms off Ederson, Allison, Mendy and Ramsdale.

He’s a phenomenal shot stopper but modern keepers have left him behind as a contributor to the team.

NewYorkRed

Not unless someone cuts both arms off Ederson, Allison, Mendy and Ramsdale.

He’s a phenomenal shot stopper but modern keepers have left him behind as a contributor to the team.
Mendy and Ramsdale, sure I can see it this year, both are having really good seasons. Have you watched Ederson and Allison this year? Answer is likely no because Dave’s been miles better than him. Just because they can pass it better than him doesn’t mean we can just forget about their howlers and relatively average shot stopping this year (which is still the most important metric for a GK idc if its 2055)

UnrelatedPsuedo

Mendy and Ramsdale, sure I can see it this year, both are having really good seasons. Have you watched Ederson and Allison this year? Answer is likely no because Dave’s been miles better than him. Just because they can pass it better than him doesn’t mean we can just forget about their howlers and relatively average shot stopping this year (which is still the most important metric for a GK idc if its 2055)
Admittedly not seen much of Allison. I think all the others have more clean sheets and better save percentages than De Gea this season though. He’s still a top keeper but he’s being left behind by the younger lot.

Red_Aaron

The saves last night are being overblown somewhat for me.

The finishes were pretty poor and all close enough to dave that you'd expect him to save them

There is a narrative around utd being constantly bailed out by ddg that gets pedalled constantly - that abu prick on BT is especially guilty. Brentford for me last night had a couple of really good chances with poor finishes and then a couple of flurries from set pieces that needed us to throw bodies at. Other than that we were in control and dave was largely a spectator second half

Still, no doubt his form in general has been very good this season

Alemar

I think all the others have more clean sheets and better save percentages than De Gea this season though.
Clean sheets are much more a derivative of general efficiency of defence (which is lacking at Man Utd, so to speak). And save percentages are also dependent on the quality of chances - de Gea often faces shots with a very high xG, contrary to those other GKs

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Aside from that bizarre goal vs Arsenal, he's been as good as I could ask for.
Seem to recall him being blamed for some of the goals against City and Watford as well but I think that's just due to the narrative that he's not that good these days

UnrelatedPsuedo

Clean sheets are much more a derivative of general efficiency of defence (which is lacking at Man Utd, so to speak). And save percentages are also dependent on the quality of chances - de Gea often faces shots with a very high xG, contrary to those other GKs
Fair points if true. I’ve not seen stats to suggest he’s facing ‘better’ chances.

Nickelodeon

He is one of best shot-stoppers in the history of the PL. Unlike many others on the thread, I don't consider his distribution to be his biggest issues given that he does pull out some pretty accurate long passes mixed with some not so great pieces of distribution as well. However, we do probably need more from him on set pieces and long balls into the box because it has become an effective way for literally all our opponents to exploit us and pin us down on set-pieces.

However, it is nonsensical to not recognize the amazing season he's had and try to portray him as the reason for us not moving the ball better. We're happy to recognize when other keepers presence puts players off but not do the same for De Gea especially given his incredible save record in one on ones. Another keeper comes in and we concede those 2 goals in the first half and then we don't know who to blame.

Nickelodeon

Fair points if true. I’ve not seen stats to suggest he’s facing ‘better’ chances.
xG is literally a metric which is based on the quality of chance. Yesterday, De Gea outperformed our expected goals conceded of 2.53 by restricting it to just the 1 actually conceded.

Mickson

Felt for him when we conceded, he kicked the goal post. He is one clean sheet from equaling Gary Bailey and he knows it. He wants his clean sheet but these clowns won't give it to him. Time for Ramsay to step up, we are an absolute shambles at set-pieces - every week. He is top 3 goalkeepers in the world this season. Also, is he the best shot-stopper ever?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He must be 10 saves above the next goalie in the PL now, above Fabianski next I believe?

People may slate him for how he claims crosses, but the guy has been absolutely superb in goal this season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As usual, a few good (but not amazing) stops are being spun into some sort of top class overall performance. I wouldn’t call that a particularly great performance at all.

He was his standard ineffective self at dealing with crosses. A particular lowlight being the pathetic punch leading to Fred’s stupid overhead kick on the penalty spot. Also did his usual trick of being beaten in the air by a striker to a looping ball dropping vertically, deep inside the six yard box.

His distribution was a little better than usual, I suppose. Over long distances anyway. His short range passing, as usual, left a lot to be desired. So many times he opted to smash the ball upfield when we could have passed it around the back instead. 46% pass completion vs 65% from Lossl. Football is a game where retaining possession is important. That shit matters. If there’s a >50% chance of the ball going to the opposition every time your keeper tries a pass it makes life unnecessarily hard for everyone.

Last edited:

DeGea

Considering he has played behind some really suspect backline over the years, he is right up there among the best who has ever played for us. Club legend in my opinion. Long service to the club now, and has come back when people doubted him on more than one occasion.

Kostov

As usual, a few good (but not amazing) stops are being spun into some sort of top class overall performance. I wouldn’t call that a particularly great performance at all.

He was his standard ineffective self at dealing with crosses. A particular lowlight being the pathetic punch leading to Fred’s stupid overhead kick on the penalty spot. Also did his usual trick of being beaten in the air by a striker to a looping ball dropping vertically, deep inside the six yard box.

His distribution was a little better than usual, I suppose. Over long distances anyway. His short range passing, as usual, left a lot to be desired. So many times he opted to smash the ball upfield when we could have passed it around the back instead. 46% pass completion vs 65% from Lossl. Football is a game where retaining possession is important. That shit matters. If there’s a >50% chance of the ball going to the opposition every time your keeper tries a pass it makes life unnecessarily hard for everyone.
Do you mean about that blatant foul? Anywhere in the world that's an instant foul on the GK.

tomaldinho1

Considering he has played behind some really suspect backline over the years, he is right up there among the best who has ever played for us. Club legend in my opinion. Long service to the club now, and has come back when people doubted him on more than one occasion.
I still doubt him, I don't see why the caf can't get their head around the fact it's possible to be a great shot stopper but be below average in other areas. Goalkeeping in football has evolved so much in the last decade or so, a lot of our fans cry out for a high defensive line, better ball retention and possession but then also don't want to see DDG replaced... you can't have both.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Do you mean about that blatant foul? Anywhere in the world that's an instant foul on the GK.
He’s not playing “anywhere in the world”. He’s playing in the Premier League where a ‘blatant foul’ like that is rarely given and the majority of other keepers in the league would have caught that ball comfortably.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Best keeper in the world again?
1: He was never the best keeper in the world, so cant be "again". He was however the best shot stopper in the world
2: He is still not the best keeper in the world, his sweeping distribution and bravery are all too lacking for him to be that, he could however, right now be the best pure shot stopper in the world and is regularly saving our arses.

romufc

1: He was never the best keeper in the world, so cant be "again". He was however the best shot stopper in the world
2: He is still not the best keeper in the world, his sweeping distribution and bravery are all too lacking for him to be that, he could however, right now be the best pure shot stopper in the world and is regularly saving our arses.
This must be a WUM.

He was far clear of any keeper during the Jose reign. I mean for a good 2/3 years he was the best keeper in the world.

Oranges038

I still doubt him, I don't see why the caf can't get their head around the fact it's possible to be a great shot stopper but be below average in other areas. Goalkeeping in football has evolved so much in the last decade or so, a lot of our fans cry out for a high defensive line, better ball retention and possession but then also don't want to see DDG replaced... you can't have both.
A lot of the stuff he doesn't do is bog standard goalkeeping work and has been for a long time.

The only real major change in the last 10 years or so has been having goalkeepers who can do all that and are also comfortable enough on the ball to help building out from the back and recycling possesion. Rather than just booting it clear to relieve pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.