Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

A lot of the stuff he doesn't do is bog standard goalkeeping work and has been for a long time.

The only real major change in the last 10 years or so has been having goalkeepers who can do all that and are also comfortable enough on the ball to help building out from the back and recycling possesion. Rather than just booting it clear to relieve pressure.
Our specialty

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Statistically he's made the most saves and prevented the most goals in the league this season. It's not just about volume either, as a team we're joint 2nd worst in terms of PSxG/SOT, so he's facing tough chances too.

So he's unquestionably in superb shot-stopping form. So much so that he has quite easily won back the #1 jersey, is the clear favourite to be our POTY, is one of the top performing goalkeepers in the league this season and you can absolutely make a claim for him being the best shot-stopper in Europe again. All of which seemed unlikely at the end of last season, so full credit to him for that.

However his current form isn't just insanely good. It's unsustainably good, being significantly better than what he was doing even in previous seasons where he was regarded as arguably the best shot-stopper in Europe. And once that form dips (as it understandably will) I don't think he'll be able to compensate for his weaknesses to enough of a degree to not be a notable issue, because those weaknesses have still been fully present throughout this resurgence in form. Of course we're a team full of issues that potentially need addressing, so even then he may well continue as our #1..

Last edited:

Kostov

He’s not playing “anywhere in the world”. He’s playing in the Premier League where a ‘blatant foul’ like that is rarely given and the majority of other keepers in the league would have caught that ball comfortably.
Rarely given? That's about the only time I have seen it not given since that famous Calwert-Lewin "no foul" on DDG from last year which was also blatant foul. It was an elbow across DDG's face.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Considering he has played behind some really suspect backline over the years, he is right up there among the best who has ever played for us. Club legend in my opinion. Long service to the club now, and has come back when people doubted him on more than one occasion.
Yep. If he’d played in better teams here he’d be talked about very differently on the caf. And if those who many laud as better than him played here they’d likely look considerably worse.

Red_toad

Did MUTV give him man of the match? Had very little to do to be honest, nice that he got a rest for a change.
Nice to see him out of his area to celebrate the winner :p

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/david-de-gea-man-united-22821959

Interesting article, I'm relieved to see there is at least a challenge, in the mainstream media, to the notion that he is our saviour this season.
I would still argue they are being slightly too generous in this article by basically saying it's ok to accept being so bad at other aspects of goal-keeping when your shot stopping is so good.
Maybe you could argue this was acceptable for an average professional keeper, but for the highest paid keeper in the world (by a mile), then no, I personally don't think it is ok to have such massive flaws in your game.

As I've said before, it's not that he's ok or below average at these other crucial aspects of goal-keeping, it's that he's horrendous/non-existant at them.

Its no surprise to me at all that he's made more saves than any other keeper in the league because coming out and catching a cross doesn't count as a save (and won't make any highlight reel either) but is obviously much more effective than having to save a shot from point blank range (you could put a cross in 3-4 yards out from our goal and De Gea still wouldn't come and claim it).

For pretty much the entire ten years De Gea has been here (apart from his first season and the last 2 when even his shot-stopping had gone to pieces), I've been hearing this narrative that he's our saviour/best player and I just don't agree at all, I honestly think he's a massive part of the problem why our defence is so unreliable.
In simple terms, surely prevention is better than a cure.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Think this is ultimately where we're at with De Gea right now. It's unsustainable and when it stops you have a problem to deal with but for now you just ride the wave of form while it lasts.

Threesus

Think this is ultimately where we're at with De Gea right now. It's unsustainable and when it stops you have a problem to deal with but for now you just ride the wave of form while it lasts.
It will be weird seeing him leave at some point, for me at least. He is the only United keeper I have known.

I thought he was better with his feet during the LVG years. Looks like he used up everything for the 17-18 season

red4ever 79

All of these things going on makes you appreciate Dave even more. Top player, model professional, knows how to represent our club in the right way. Congrats on your 3rd player of the month award this season.

El Zoido

3rd time this season dude. I agree with your sentiments though. Would be nice to see an attacker winning it, or god forbid one of our midfielders
This is Premier League POTM, not club. Apparently no gk has won this for six years, it’s a great achievement.

JB7

If that's the highlight reel of the best player in league for the whole of January then January must have been a terrible month of football.

Raven

He's back to his absolute best and given that GKs generally last into their late 30s or even early 40s, he could continue to be like this for a long time.

Burnley 1:1 Man Utd

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Maybe should have done better for the goal? Maybe being too harsh after watching Pope at the other end throw himself at everything and saving a few goals in the process.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Maybe should have done better for the goal? Maybe being too harsh after watching Pope at the other end throw himself at everything and saving a few goals in the process.
Bit of no mans land in the end for him, considering Maguire made a hash of the final tackle. Looked like he was trying to anticipate the far corner shot at the same time.

Marwood

Yep I thought he was poor for the goal, bottled a physical confrontation again. He practically got out of the way of Rodriguez. The opposite of what you want in that scenario.

Superb save down to his right though.

Sums up his season. Good and bad.

arnie_ni

Yep I thought he was poor for the goal, bottled a physical confrontation again. He practically got out of the way of Rodriguez. The opposite of what you want in that scenario.

Superb save down to his right though.

Sums up his season. Good and bad.
Only other thing be had to do was punch clear a corner.

Cloudface

Seeing the replays it looked like he turned away slightly expecting a collision. It wouldn't be the first time either if it was the case.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Was glued to his line as usual for the goal. Rodriguez is in the box and he still hasn't made any forward progress.

If he starts at a better position he probably smothers the effort.

In better form but we still need an upgrade.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Seeing the replays it looked like he turned away slightly expecting a collision. It wouldn't be the first time either if it was the case.
It's pretty much his signature move, for ten years now I've been baffled every single time he plays at how horrendous he is at so many crucial aspects of goal-keeping. We actually pay £375,000 a week to a goalkeeper that's terrified of physical confrontation, if anyone needs a perfect example of what a shambles the club is then that's it right there.
Maguire and Shaw were obviously also massively at fault for the Burnley goal, but the difference is they are getting criticism for it, whereas, yet again, De Statue gets a free pass because he made a half decent save from Weghorst.
As I've said so many times, it doesn't matter who we sign in defence, midfield or attack, we will still struggle to win matches because De Gea's flaws are costing us possession, control, goals, and, ultimately, points on a regular basis.
At the elite level of any sport, fine margins are everything and if one of your main players has so many blindingly obvious weaknesses then it's obviously going to cost you over a season.
There's much much more to goal-keeping than shot stopping, it's that simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.