Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicharo

He couldn't lead a promenade at his local village fête. Would rather he was sold, in all honesty.
Who else then? Has a 10 year experience in United, our best player. I'd too would like someone like Keano or Cantona, but sadly we're not that kind of club anymore. Can't be worse than Maguire. Yesrerday Harry was ok, but his leadership abilities are non-existent. At one moment he complained about some player's reaction (not sure which one), he did it so quietly it seemed more like mumbling than actually scolding him

Last edited:

UncleBob

It's a great save but his positioning for that cross is so wrong that he ends up diving backwards to keep it out.

On the goal, it doesn't help that he's jumps and is off the ground as the header is hit. He had moved across the goal and then does this little jump as Iheanacho heads it. No idea what he is doing in that moment, he probably saves it comfortably otherwise.
I reckon it's more complicated than people think because it's both close distance and it's a downward header where the ball bounces off the pitch and up. Especially the latter makes things uncomfortable as you react to two different things, direction of header and then you have to account for the height after the bounce.

Remember the geese

Who else then? Has a 10 year experience in United, our best player. I'd too would like someone like Keano or Cantona, but sadly we're not that kind of club anymore. Can't be worse than Maguire. Yesrerday Harry was ok, but his leadership abilities are non-existent. At one moment he complained about some player's reaction (not sure which one), he did it so quietly it seemed more like mumbling than actually scolding him
No, you're absolutely bang on mate. There's a serious lack of candidates. I couldn't give you a name to be honest. Possibly Bruno or Fred, but I'm not sold on that either. Maybe a future signing, but I don't really think that signing a player and immediately making him captain is the right way to go either.

arnie_ni

Wondered how long it would take the usual 2 or 3 suspects to find criticism with a fine save.

Oranges038

I reckon it's more complicated than people think because it's both close distance and it's a downward header where the ball bounces off the pitch and up. Especially the latter makes things uncomfortable as you react to two different things, direction of header and then you have to account for the height after the bounce.
Yeah it is, those ones into the ground are always harder. But he moves over with ball, picks up a good position and then does a little jump for some reason as the shot is struck he and can't react in time because of it. Might have got a proper hand on it otherwise.

Lentwood

He's right about one thing....we dont create enough chances and for all the flak the back four + CMs get, Bruno, Ronaldo, Pogba, Rashford and Sancho have been nowhere near good enough this season

Sylar

Ah, maybe not all that exciting but just once again very direct and honest about how bad the team were.

He looks pissed. He's right though, everton played and lost midweek
We had a whole week to prepare and still got out fought and out battled

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We are going to renew his contract aren't we?
If De Gea retired tomorrow, wouldn’t United actually be better off? It would free up £300k per week in wages, force us to play with a more modern goalkeeper in Henderson and finally force us to discover whether he can actually be the man for United. We have Heaton as backup and good prospects in the youth setup.

I cannot fathom why anyone would want to lumber the next manager with De Gea on a new long-term deal. Spain prefer to pick the Brentford and Brighton goalkeepers for feck’s sake. He’s not good enough.

EtH

Has some nerve doesn’t he considering his form and all it’s cost us the past couple of seasons.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If De Gea retired tomorrow, wouldn’t United actually be better off? It would free up £300k per week in wages, force us to play with a more modern goalkeeper in Henderson and finally force us to discover whether he can actually be the man for United. We have Heaton as backup and good prospects in the youth setup.

I cannot fathom why anyone would want to lumber the next manager with De Gea on a new long-term deal. Spain prefer to pick the Brentford and Brighton goalkeepers for feck’s sake. He’s not good enough.
Henderson is not a modern keeper though, even though he's better at it than De Gea. So you have a slightly better but still insufficient ball-playing/sweeping stuff without De Gea's genius shot-stopping ability that finally since to be back — we're not going to be better off in that case. If we were to sign a proper sweeper-keeper though...

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

There's no way we should be renewing his contract. With one year left it's not even that big a deal if Ten Hag decides to start Henderson and leave his £375k a week on the bench.

PeteManic

Can't believe the criticism big Dave is getting on here. Only consistent player in the last 10 years. Not afraid to tell it as it is. Where is Rashford? Where is Maguire? Where is Bruno? Ronaldo hasn't done a post-match interview since September.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He has his own faults but the only one with any balls throughout the team. He's basically calling out his team mates in his post match interviews after a bad result. His frustration is palpable. Not like the generic answers parroted from the rest of them.

EtH

He has his own faults but the only one with any balls throughout the team. He's basically calling out his team mates in his post match interviews after a bad result. His frustration is palpable. Not like the generic answers parroted from the rest of them.
Perhaps he should be more vocal and commanding during matches rather than whinging after them.

That’s not leadership.

Seij

Can't believe the criticism big Dave is getting on here. Only consistent player in the last 10 years. Not afraid to tell it as it is. Where is Rashford? Where is Maguire? Where is Bruno? Ronaldo hasn't done a post-match interview since September.
Consistent? He went through a long, awful patch of form from the previous world cup until this season. Even this season, while his shotstopping has been excellent, he's pretty much at the bottom of the league for just about everything else like sweeping, claiming crosses, passing out, etc.

I'm not complaining about his post-match comments that everyone else also makes. He just has glaring weaknesses that will never make him a part of a modern title-winning side.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
DDG has been our best player during the last 10 years. We'd be in a worse position without him. He is the last player we should be considering getting rid of at the moment from this bunch of prats.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
One of the worst aspects of De Gea this season is his “fronting up” in press conferences after showing no leadership or tenacity on the field.

“Big Dave”? He’s a mouse.

Henderson is not a modern keeper though, even though he's better at it than De Gea. So you have a slightly better but still insufficient ball-playing/sweeping stuff without De Gea's genius shot-stopping ability that finally since to be back — we're not going to be better off in that case. If we were to sign a proper sweeper-keeper though...
Virtually any other keeper is more rounded and/or modern than De Gea though…

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Exactly. I have my issues with him but he is the least of our problems for now.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Has some nerve doesn’t he considering his form and all it’s cost us the past couple of seasons.
His form is top notch and he hasnt cost us anything. This place is weird. We barely created against a team which was beaten by Burnley in midweek and this place is complaining about GK.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Perhaps he should be more vocal and commanding during matches rather than whinging after them.

That’s not leadership.
I'm not talking about him as a leader but any player prepared to call out his team mates and at least take responsibility for the performances shouldn't be shot down because he isn't vocal on the pitch. Like I said. He has his faults but at this moment in time he's about number 11 on the list of players that i wouldn't have a problem replacing. This season he's the only player who can hold his head relatively high and say he's done what he's being paid to do.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
After defeats he is the only one who says in public that things are not good. Unbelievable that he lost captain's armband because of it.

copen1945

After defeats he is the only one who says in public that things are not good. Unbelievable that he lost captain's armband because of it.
The club appeared to have wanted a cheerleader, not an actual leader. De Gea also is one of the few in the squad who has won things, include the league. It is just odd that Maguire was appointed as the captain, just months into United days. I wonder whether it was Maguire's association with Phelan that influenced this appointment.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The club appeared to have wanted a cheerleader, not an actual leader. De Gea also is one of the few in the squad who has won things, include the league. It is just odd that Maguire was appointed as the captain, just months into United days. I wonder whether it was Maguire's association with Phelan that influenced this appointment.
It was what you have said. Ole who needs trophies Solskjaer wanted good mood and no pressure in the changing room. De Gea didn't fit into that mentality.

EtH

Yes because everything about De Gea screams captain material. The total disinterest in commanding his area or organizing his defense. The sheer terror of ever putting his body on the line which every other keeper does routinely. The complete and utter lack of leadership of any kind on the pitch.

But oh wait he whinges after defeats sometimes. Give him the armband.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Takes more than being an emo to be a captain. We’ve literally nobody in the squad showing leadership qualities on the pitch but De Gea probably shows least of all. The quietest player on the pitch, when he should be the most vocal.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Takes more than being an emo to be a captain. We’ve literally nobody in the squad showing leadership qualities on the pitch but De Gea probably shows least of all. The quietest player on the pitch, when he should be the most vocal.
Second quietest. AWB will forever take that title and is probably the quietest player I've ever seen on a football pitch. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen him say a word outside that one interview he did a year or so ago.

But yes, De Gea would be a terrible captain.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How do we know that? I hear that often (same as how Henderson is vocal)
Everytime when camera is on him, Dave is talking and yelling on defence.

Last edited:

JB7

How do we know that? I hear that often (same as how Henderson is vocal)
Everytime when i camera is on him, Dave is talking and yelling on defence.
Because believe it or not - and this really isn't rocket science - some of us actually go and watch them week in week out and see what is actually happening rather than the snippets they show on tv. And De Gea is a complete mute so if you're seeing him talking it's probably to himself. I genuinely can't remember another goalkeeper coming to OT be as quiet as him, it's freakish. And to be fair Henderson is loud, as you brought it up. Always has been, I saw him a few times at Shrewsbury years back and he was very loud even then.

Status
Not open for further replies.