Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynty

I don't see how people fail to recognize he is a problem. And then you have those people who do recognize that but say he's not the biggest problem so it's fine for now as if the club is incapable of addressing multiple issues at once. A modern number 1 this summer is a must.
I think most De Gea fans acknowledge there's a problem in his game that contributes to us being poor at passing it out from the back. But even if you stick Allison in this team, it doesn't improve our ability to pass out. Our defenders are poor at passing and controlling a ball under pressure - lets address that first.

At what priority are you placing a modern number 1 on our transfer list?

We need:

Striker (we have 36+ year olds)
Midfielder (DM certianly, Pogba replacement possibly)
Centre back (we have 3 sicknotes and Maguire)
Fullback (possibly both fullbacks)
Wide forward (as last one was arrested)

Get real. The keeper won't be this summer.

Bwuk

Can worry about a keeper being able to pass the ball when our centre backs can actually receive it.

If I was De Gea I’d be punting it long rather than play it to Maguire.

Trequartistry

Ten Hag’s appointment hopefully spells the end of De Gea’s very overrated period at the club, and a disastrous last 48 months. Looking forward to Deano or a new goalkeeper

Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That Xhaka goal feels like yet another where De Gea just accepts conceding another goal. Surely you’ve got to scream blue murder about Nketiah’s offside position impeding you? We’ve seen this twice already this season with his moping, when there’s a strong argument that he’s either been fouled or had his vision blocked by an offside player.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That Xhaka goal feels like yet another where De Gea just accepts conceding another goal. Surely you’ve got to scream blue murder about Nketiah’s offside position impeding you? We’ve seen this twice already this season with his moping, when there’s a strong argument that he’s either been fouled or had his vision blocked by an offside player.
Now listening to Rangnick. Rangnick said it was clearly offside and De Gea was bemoaning his vision being blocked in the dressing room. Why are we not appealing and convincing the officials of this on the pitch?! Where’s the desire?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Now listening to Rangnick. Rangnick said it was clearly offside and De Gea was bemoaning his vision being blocked in the dressing room. Why are we not appealing and convincing the officials of this on the pitch?! Where’s the desire?
Thought De Gea did OK today but you're right. Once I seen the replay I was waiting for the goal to be disallowed but was just accepted when it wasn't. Bad call

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I have no problem with Xhaka's goal. I have a problem with the first goal. For most people they will say "what a great save by De Gea" on the first shot. I'm not most people. Was it a nice save? Sure. But look at his starting position. He is way too close to his near post (how do you post a pic of his position when the ball is kicked?). He should be at least a step or two to his right when the ball is kicked. If he is, not only is it a routine two handed save, but he also either catches it or easily pushes the rebound wide...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The player I hate the most now.

The inability to come from his line literally shakes the whole defensive line during a cross.

It's like playing without a CDM shielding the defenders but from the back instead.

He is the virus in my opinion - a virus that is contagious and spreads to everyone especially the ones closest to him.

It's a shame that we look at the Spanish National team and can't see the pros and cons of David De Gea and why they do not utelise him.

RVN1991

The inability to come from his line literally shakes the whole defensive line during a cross.

It's like playing without a CDM shielding the defenders but from the back instead.

He is the virus in my opinion - a virus that is contagious and spreads to everyone especially the ones closest to him.

It's a shame that we look at the Spanish National team and can't see the pros and cons of David De Gea and why they do not utelise him.
Weird. This team is full of world class wankers and you "hate" one of the only decent players and lads we have.

Bebestation

Weird. This team is full of world class wankers and you "hate" one of the only decent players and lads we have.
That's fine.

People hate alot of players for not putting up the effort.

Yet people are fine with de Gea staying solely on one spot.

It's just a different way of looking at things for a player you dislike vs a player you like.

L1nk

Just.. why? Why do so before ETH comes in with a chance to evaluate whether he fits his style or not

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

How can somebody actually hate De Gea though? It's ok to call him a problem on the pitch... But the player you hate most? What the feck? Do you just start hating players when they aren't good enough anymore despite them staying loyal when they were far too good for what you were?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
How can somebody actually hate De Gea though? It's ok to call him a problem on the pitch... But the player you hate most? What the feck? Do you just start hating players when they aren't good enough anymore despite them staying loyal when they were far too good for what you were?
Caf gonna caf

Kaos

Just.. why? Why do so before ETH comes in with a chance to evaluate whether he fits his style or not
Makes absolutely no sense unless he's willing to accept a pay cut.

He's on what - £375k a week? For a keeper that's quite possibly not in ETH's long term plans, that would be a pretty stupid move, even by our standards.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Starting to feel hopeless, these new guys upstairs must be as clueless as the former ones.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Welcome to the new age fan world.

Bebestation

Why is it any different when people hate Rashford for not trying hard?

For hating Maguire like they wasted their own money?

I can't stand De Gea because I feel like he is a patch that ends up looking greater than he is.

Does he have a work rate just because he makes saves? Do you see him coming off his line to collect a corner?

De gea is a single ability player and that ability is so so good that it makes alot of fans think he is something that doesn't need to be changed.

That's why I "hate" de gea. Nothing to do with the person; more the false comforting he gives to a certain bunch of fans thinking that he is doing his job just because he does one single thing; a single thing that does not interlink with any single player of the rest of the XI.

Sorry if I hurt you about hating De Gea. I don't really hate players, but after watching how the fanbase hate Rashford, Maguire, Bruno Fernandes and more - I just decided like I needed to pick my own one.

Bebestation

And there we go. Becomes an extended contract at a super wage that will stick to us for another bunch of years.

He makes people believe he is better than he is and thats why I can't stand him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm fairly sure we have the option to extend his contract for another year as is? In which case you'd think they'd just do that and kick the can down the road for another 12 months, at which point ETH will have had a full season to come to a judgement about De Gea.

Trequartistry

He did push for a move to Real Madrid (his home teams arch rivals) at his first opportunity. I don’t think anyones been interested in him ever since so I don’t think calling him loyal is correct

Bebestation

He did push for a move to Real Madrid (his home teams arch rivals) at his first opportunity. I don’t think anyones been interested in him ever since so I don’t think calling him loyal is correct
Exactly. It was a problem with the fax machine.

People in Spain see his weaknesses now to ever really go for him at his wages.

JB7

I can't stand De Gea because I feel like he is a patch that ends up looking greater than he is.

Does he have a work rate just because he makes saves? Do you see him coming off his line to collect a corner?

De gea is a single ability player and that ability is so so good that it makes alot of fans think he is something that doesn't need to be changed.

That's why I "hate" de gea. Nothing to do with the person; more the false comforting he gives to a certain bunch of fans thinking that he is doing his job just because he does one single thing; a single thing that does not interlink with any single player of the rest of the XI.

Sorry if I hurt you about hating De Gea. I don't really hate players, but after watching how the fanbase hate Rashford, Maguire, Bruno Fernandes and more - I just decided like I needed to pick my own one.
Just imagine the stick any other player in the squad would get if they thought, "I'm really good at running, lets completely ignore every other aspect of being a footballer to the point that I'm the worst in the league at pretty much everything other than running, but hey at least I still run more than most of the others".

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Going to extend the contract of someone who isn't even considered a top 3 Spain keeper by data science. And have him as the best paid keeper in the world probably as well.

NewYorkRed

Oh wait…what? Our new modern manager is okay with the club extending our hopeless terrible “virus” of a goalkeeper’s contract? Surely this can’t be true? Dave is so, so, so bad. ETH must surely be joking.

Bebestation

Just imagine the stick any other player in the squad would get if they thought, "I'm really good at running, lets completely ignore every other aspect of being a footballer to the point that I'm the worst in the league at pretty much everything other than running, but hey at least I still run more than most of the others".
Yeah. Any other player that sticks in one position gets a hounding of angry people at them. Yet De Gea is given a freedom even though he directly influences the the defence only really in a negative way because he doesn't interlink with them at all.

Like the Goalkeeper is the one player on the whole pitch that can use his hands. He arguably has nearly a quarter of the pitch to utelise those hands :

And yet he sticks to his line, arguably leaving a quarter of the pitch with no advantage of a goalkeepers hands that other clubs use both to a benefit of their attackers and having a goalkeeper aswell
:(

Trequartistry

De Gea mistakes thread this season

Not sure how he constantly gets lapped up. I think it doesn’t help that the commentators seem to moan his name extra loud when he makes a save. You could arguably make one of these threads for almost every season he’s been here

bosnian_red

Eh it's just weird it's all. I never get the hate most players get. The only situation where I can get it is if they're lazy on the pitch and blatantly not trying hard in addition to being a dickhead off the field. Di Maria situation I understood. I just think it's wrong to hate one of your own players for essentially not being good enough. Dan James was shit but there wasn't any reason to hate him for example. Its weird as feck the extent of hate Rashford gets IMO. Same with Bruno. Form comes and goes, sometimes players turn to shit, I get wanting to replace them or calling them a problem from a footballing perspective, but I think it's an important distinction to make right now especially when a player is a problem on the pitch because of him lacking certain qualities, vs being a problem because of one of the many other off the pitch issues that we are seeing.

Like did you hate Gary Neville as a United player when he declined? You can call players a problem because they aren't good enough without getting so emotionally worked up to hate them.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Jesus fecking Christ. Just as well the way the game has evolved doesn’t mean goalkeepers get to try and pass the ball much. Oh wait…

Data like this is absolutely infuriating when you hear noises out of the club about how we got 99 problems but a keeper ain’t one. Surely to feck there’s somebody keeping an eye on shit like this?!

Bebestation

Eh it's just weird it's all. I never get the hate most players get. The only situation where I can get it is if they're lazy on the pitch and blatantly not trying hard in addition to being a dickhead off the field. Di Maria situation I understood. I just think it's wrong to hate one of your own players for essentially not being good enough. Dan James was shit but there wasn't any reason to hate him for example. Its weird as feck the extent of hate Rashford gets IMO. Same with Bruno. Form comes and goes, sometimes players turn to shit, I get wanting to replace them or calling them a problem from a footballing perspective, but I think it's an important distinction to make right now especially when a player is a problem on the pitch because of him lacking certain qualities, vs being a problem because of one of the many other off the pitch issues that we are seeing.

Like did you hate Gary Neville as a United player when he declined? You can call players a problem because they aren't enough without getting so emotionally worked up to hate them.
Yeah I don't hate players, I just literally lost my mind at time where I was watching the whoe CAF take on every single player in quantity except De Gea.

And again I don't hate De Gea - I hate the appreciation he gets for his performances with is 2 different things.

Like have you noticed how De gea is in our top 3 for player of the season?

That's why I hate this problem - because he seems to genuinely make some people believe that he is not a problem; when he has been a problem for a decade now. I hate the problem he has caused than actually hating him.

FerociousCorgis

think it makes the most sense to keep ddg for one more year while we build the philosophy that ETH wants around him, then replace next season with a modern goalkeeper. Think with all the holes the delta between ddg and the "modern" gk isnt as big as some of the other positions we desperately need to upgrade. Need a whole new midfield really, figure out a CB tandem moving forward, find real fullbacks, and sort out attackers. Just dont extend ddg and once things are shaping up as a whole for the squad then you replace him

bosnian_red

Yeah I don't hate players, I just literally lost my mind at time where I was watching the whoe CAF take on every single player in quantity except De Gea.

And again I don't hate De Gea - I hate the appreciation he gets for his performances with is 2 different things.

Like have you noticed how De gea is in our top 3 for player of the season?

That's why I hate this problem - because he seems to genuinely make some people believe that he is not a problem; when he has been a problem for a decade now. I hate the problem he has caused than actually hating him.
I think saying he's in the top 3 for POTS is perfectly fine. There's a balance to everything. There's a good twitter account that focuses analysis on goalkeepers and tries to quantify goal prevention vs the average from proactive actions and from shot stopping. De Gea has had a very good season, even with his weaknesses. At his best, his pros overcompensate for his cons (like this year), while the 2 seasons before this one he obviously was not doing well at all.

Just because he has issues doesn't mean he isn't a net benefit to us still... But like the tweet mentions, if we improve as a team, his pro might not be needed as much, while his cons get exposed more.

Where I stand on De Gea is he's a problem for 2023, as he did recover his form this season. For now, it's DM, ST and RW hopefully. Then in 2023 we focus on LB, RB and GK. After that (2024), CM (#8) and CB.

izec

Everyone gets extended contracts here :lol:
I bet we were begging to extend Lingard and Mata’s contracts. It is a joke at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.