Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FerociousCorgis

Maybe so and I don't particularly like him as a player or think he is all that good, but he actually seems more comfortable defending higher than he is around the box. It would actually make his job a hell of a lot easier.

If he were to play higher he wouldn't have to make those decisions to run 20 yards into midfield to try and win the ball, it would be more like 5 yards and the chances of him getting there are much higher.

It would also significantly reduce the gap between the defence, midfield and attack. Part of the reason Utd struggle to press properly and are easy to cut through is that the attack, midfield, defence and keeper don't all move up together, there is often 70-80 yards between the keeper and the striker. You have a keeper that pushes the backline up and you can condense that space to 50 yards. Which would give opposing teams a harder time playing out through a press and much less space to play into in front of him.

You would have the issue of balls going over and behind him, but that's where having a keeper who is pushing up with the line comes into play, to be there to clean those up so he doesn't have to chase 40 yards back to his own goal.
you mean like when he tried to "close down" mane around midfield and just sat there 7 yards off him like an idiot? Id have huge respect for this club if they sold maguire this year and admitted their mistake. Use that money to bring in a CB that fits better with what they want to do

Oranges038

you mean like when he tried to "close down" mane around midfield and just sat there 7 yards off him like an idiot? Id have huge respect for this club if they sold maguire this year and admitted their mistake. Use that money to bring in a CB that fits better with what they want to do
Yeah, that exact situation wouldn't materialise because if he's 15 yards higher Mane doesn't have that space to move into. It happens too many times, it's a total lack of judgment from him. But, I've said it before that he is being deliberately targetted on this because the space is there to do it and teams know he can be dragged out.

But again, if the whole team defends 15 yards higher, a lot of those situations are avoidable because the space just isn't there to do it. And instead of Maguire or any other defender chasing 15 yards out, all he has to do is step out five and it is much easier to knick the ball away.

Trequartistry

De Gea howler

things like this have been happening throughout his entire career which we just don’t notice back then. How on earth does he decide not to claim that cross which eventually causes danger and ultimately leads to another mistake of his

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Didn't Ralf pretty much say we won't touch the gk position?
Unless he meant Henderson whi if so why doesn't he give him gametime, is a pretty strong indictment that Dave is going nowhere.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Didn't Ralf pretty much say we won't touch the gk position?
Unless he meant Henderson whi if so why doesn't he give him gametime, is a pretty strong indictment that Dave is going nowhere.
Ralf and ten Hag have a very different idea when it comes to the build up phase.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Interesting thread focusing on de Gea's time under LVG and Frans Hoek.

edcunited1878

I am still of the belief that DDG will not be at the club after June 2023, unless it is as a backup goalkeeper to Henderson or whoever.

Henderson, while he has his question marks about him, has a future at the club and he has bided his time. United don't need a world class goalkeeper, just a solid and dependable player who fits whatever the team is trying to move towards. I think they have that in Henderson for the future.

My biggest frustration is that people don't respect David enough and just slag him off whenever they can. Henderson could be the first choice goalkeeper for United, coming through its ranks and potentially challenging for the England #1 shirt too.

Let David has his testimonial, if he chooses to have one, and let him decide if he wants to leave or stick around as backup goalkeeper at reduced wages. He's earned that decision, as long as it is clear what is expected of him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But surely they would have talked about it? Isn't Ralf getting a consultancy role?
Erik ten Hag won't compromise on his way of playing the game with Ralf Rangnick imo.

The consultancy role is more to do with building and tweaking the existing structure on the football side of the club.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Erik ten Hag won't compromise on his way of playing the game with Ralf Rangnick imo.

The consultancy role is more to do with building and tweaking the existing structure on the football side of the club.
So what do you think hag will do? Play Dean or go for a new goalie, also who's on the market?
Maybe onana is an option?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So what do you think hag will do? Play Dean or go for a new goalie, also who's on the market?
I don't know for sure, but I think Henderson looks the better fit for the way he (ten Hag) wants to play.

JB7

There is no logical reason to continue with De Gea and I just don't see him doing so. He doesn't fit anything at all about how he gets his teams playing.

Henderson is a comfortably better fit for the way we try to defend higher up the pitch, it was there for all to see last season when he was given a run in the team despite people seemingly rewriting the whole time in their head because he made a mistake against Liverpool. Both the individual and team statistics prove this and frankly it is baffling that somebody at the football club hasn't seen that and that we have persisted with De Gea when he caused us so many issues with his inability to sweep behind a high line (worst in the division), deal with any kind of balls into the box (worst in the division) and his below average distribution (lower third of the division), and that's without the other critical aspect of goalkeeping which is not measurable by any statistic - communication, we know Henderson is loud and a talker on the pitch whereas De Gea is incredibly quiet for a goalkeeper.

To compare the two (PL only);
De Gea this season has dealt with 3.1% of crosses into the box, Henderson dealt with 8.6% last season.
De Gea this season has swept outside the area 0.24 times per game, Henderson swept 1.12 times per game last season.
De Gea this season has thrown the ball out 112 times in 34 games, Henderson threw the ball out 61 times last season in just 12.5 games which would suggest Henderson see's an opportunity for a breakaway much more often.
There isn't a lot in the passing stats.

And before the "oh but De Gea is so much better at stopping shots" etc, De Gea's post shot xG this season is currently +7.5 (second best in the league, fair play), in Henderson's only full season of PL football at Sheffield United, his was +5.2 which would be good for third best in the league this season behind Jose Sa & De Gea. For reference Alisson who I consider to be the best overall goalkeeper in the world, is at +4.4 - which is why I don't like this stat particularly as it doesn't take into account the opportunities the goalkeeper had previously had to stop an attack becoming a shot on goal - De Gea is always likely to be

So basically the one thing De Gea is good at, he isn't even that far ahead of Henderson at in reality. And I wouldn't even say I'm a particularly big fan of Henderson, he's just earned his opportunity and I agree with others than the budget is better spent in other areas this summer, I just disagree which goalkeeper should be the clear first choice into next season.

In terms of delving into the transfer market, it depends what they want to do. If they don't rate Henderson but want to go with a relatively inexpensive goalkeeper with Premier League experience then you've got Jose Sa, Robert Sanchez & possibly David Raya who are the stand out options. If you want to go all out and spend big money then the best option is probably Mike Maignan. The reality is that replacing De Gea really isn't a difficult task, as bringing a goalkeeper who is relatively average across all areas would still be a considerable improvement overall.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Could be wrong but I think Henderson will be our #1 next season.
I'd be surprised.

If we had a situation like 20/21 where both De Gea and Henderson were at the club across the season then I could see Henderson overtaking him at some point. But I suspect the only way Henderson would be willing to spend another year here is if he is guaranteed the #1 spot and I'd be surprised if ETH makes that leap as soon as he arrives.

Also there are the persistent rumours that Henderson was one of the prime sources of dressing room leaks over the last two seasons to consider, along with repeated suggestions that he can be over-confident to the point of being "challenging". I'm not sure how much of a priority cleaning up the dressing room culture will be for ETH upon his arrival but insofar as it is, I'm not sure Henderson would receive the most glowing recommendation.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
With Courtois looking shaky,what are the chances the De Gea to Madrid rumors start flying around again. Tbis summer could be our best chance to cash in.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd be surprised.

If it we had a situation like 20/21 where both De Gea and Henderson were at the club across the season then I could see Henderson overtaking him at some point. But I suspect the only way Henderson would be willing to spend another year here is if he is guaranteed the #1 spot and I'd be surprised if ETH makes that leap as soon as he arrives.

Also there are the persistent rumours that Henderson was one of the prime sources of dressing room leaks over to the last two seasons to consider, along with repeated suggestions that he can be over-confident to the point of being "challenging". I'm not sure how much of a priority cleaning up the dressing room culture will be for ETH upon his arrival but insofar as it is, I'm not sure Henderson would receive the most glowing recommendation.
I don't know for sure but we can't discount the possibility of Henderson usurping de Gea in a ten Hag approach.

DdG is a line stopper and not a goalkeeper imo. Goalkeepers have the advantage of using their hands and affecting play, which is something de Gea doesn't do along with providing a level of distribution, hence Luis Enrique has sent him packing from the Spanish NT. We have to evolve as a team and the quicker we do it the better. Henderson might not be the answer long-term under a coach who wants to control all phases of play, but de Gea definitely isn't.

All goalkeepers are good shot-stoppers at professional level, with some being better than others. But all goalkeepers also need to be good at distribution and commanding the area, which de Gea fails at.

I don't really know alot about the leaks and who the media are implicating.

Based Adnan

With Courtois looking shaky,what are the chances the De Gea to Madrid rumors start flying around again. Tbis summer could be our best chance to cash in.
Cash in? He's on 375k/week. I'd imagine if anyone is dumb enough to want him we'd still need to pay him off in some way or cover some wages.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
There is no logical reason to continue with De Gea and I just don't see him doing so. He doesn't fit anything at all about how he gets his teams playing.

Henderson is a comfortably better fit for the way we try to defend higher up the pitch, it was there for all to see last season when he was given a run in the team despite people seemingly rewriting the whole time in their head because he made a mistake against Liverpool. Both the individual and team statistics prove this and frankly it is baffling that somebody at the football club hasn't seen that and that we have persisted with De Gea when he caused us so many issues with his inability to sweep behind a high line (worst in the division), deal with any kind of balls into the box (worst in the division) and his below average distribution (lower third of the division), and that's without the other critical aspect of goalkeeping which is not measurable by any statistic - communication, we know Henderson is loud and a talker on the pitch whereas De Gea is incredibly quiet for a goalkeeper.

To compare the two (PL only);
De Gea this season has dealt with 3.1% of crosses into the box, Henderson dealt with 8.6% last season.
De Gea this season has swept outside the area 0.24 times per game, Henderson swept 1.12 times per game last season.
De Gea this season has thrown the ball out 112 times in 34 games, Henderson threw the ball out 61 times last season in just 12.5 games which would suggest Henderson see's an opportunity for a breakaway much more often.
There isn't a lot in the passing stats.

And before the "oh but De Gea is so much better at stopping shots" etc, De Gea's post shot xG this season is currently +7.5 (second best in the league, fair play), in Henderson's only full season of PL football at Sheffield United, his was +5.2 which would be good for third best in the league this season behind Jose Sa & De Gea. For reference Alisson who I consider to be the best overall goalkeeper in the world, is at +4.4 - which is why I don't like this stat particularly as it doesn't take into account the opportunities the goalkeeper had previously had to stop an attack becoming a shot on goal - De Gea is always likely to be

So basically the one thing De Gea is good at, he isn't even that far ahead of Henderson at in reality. And I wouldn't even say I'm a particularly big fan of Henderson, he's just earned his opportunity and I agree with others than the budget is better spent in other areas this summer, I just disagree which goalkeeper should be the clear first choice into next season.

In terms of delving into the transfer market, it depends what they want to do. If they don't rate Henderson but want to go with a relatively inexpensive goalkeeper with Premier League experience then you've got Jose Sa, Robert Sanchez & possibly David Raya who are the stand out options. If you want to go all out and spend big money then the best option is probably Mike Maignan. The reality is that replacing De Gea really isn't a difficult task, as bringing a goalkeeper who is relatively average across all areas would still be a considerable improvement overall.
Thanks for the well thought out post
I personally really like Dave but I understand the need to do an upgrade on him.
I'm a bit unsure on dean as I'm afraid he may go full on liability if given an entire season to work with (just a bad feeling i get) but he might be a decent temporary fix.

Agree on maignan , Millan and Maldini did great to replace him with donouroma , great business by them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't know for sure but we can't discount the possibility of Henderson usurping de Gea in a ten Hag approach.

DdG is a line stopper and not a goalkeeper imo. Goalkeepers have the advantage of using their hands and affecting play, which is something de Gea doesn't do along with providing a level of distribution, hence Luis Enrique has sent him packing from the Spanish NT. We have to evolve as a team and the quicker we do it the better. Henderson might not be the answer long-term under a coach who wants to control all phases of play, but de Gea definitely isn't.

All goalkeepers are good shot-stoppers at professional level, with some being better than others. But all goalkeepers also need to be good at distribution and commanding the area, which de Gea fails at.

I don't really know alot about the leaks and who the media are implicating.
If I was to guess I'd say your best bet of seeing De Gea replaced in the short-term is less through Henderson but rather through some cheap back-up option we sign to replace Henderson ultimately ousting De Gea and acting a Bravo-style bridging keeper before a permanent signing is made next summer. And even with that, De Gea would start and struggle before being replaced.

But we'll see.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If I was to guess I'd say your best bet of seeing De Gea replaced in the short-term is less through Henderson but rather through some cheap back-up option we sign to replace Henderson ultimately ousting De Gea and acting a Bravo-style bridging keeper before a permanent signing next summer.

But we'll see.
You could be correct but don't discount the possibility of ten Hag playing Henderson ahead of de Gea because the primary objective for him is to dominate the ball in all phases of play, and Henderson is better than de Gea in that regard.

Long-term I don't think either is good enough. But for the now and mid-term, Henderson looks more in-tune with the positional play requirements of ten Hag.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dean is not that good on his feet to be fair but he’s much more brave to come out of his line/area and more sweeper than DDG.

Man Utd 1:1 Chelsea

The Oracle

Before the match against Chelsea, De Gea gave an interview where he was saying that the performances on the pitch this season by the players have been "Embarrassing"

On 71 minutes and 24 seconds on the clock tonight, Reece James put in a cross from the right hand side of the edge of the area, and the ball travelled into De Gea's 6 yard box... to approximately 4 yards from the goal line, and De Gea refused to make any attempt whatsoever to collect it.

I hope he includes himself next time he mentions that the players performances have been embarrassing, because refusing to collect a cross that is 4 yards from the goal line is just ridiculous.

Oranges038

Before the match against Chelsea, De Gea gave an interview where he was saying that the performances on the pitch this season by the players have been "Embarrassing"

On 71 minutes and 24 seconds on the clock tonight, Reece James put in a cross from the right hand side of the edge of the area, and the ball travelled into De Gea's 6 yard box... to approximately 4 yards from the goal line, and De Gea refused to make any attempt whatsoever to collect it.

I hope he includes himself next time he mentions that the players performances have been embarrassing, because refusing to collect a cross that is 4 yards from the goal line is just ridiculous.
Saw that. He's just as deluded as Maguire when it comes to his performances. There's been so many crosses and balls around the 6 yard box that he should come for but doesn't. He's a coward that is even afraid of the thought of any physical contact.

Red Royal

Saw that. He's just as deluded as Maguire when it comes to his performances. There's been so many crosses and balls around the 6 yard box that he should come for but doesn't. He's a coward that is even afraid of the thought of any physical contact.
Yup and when he did a good stop in first half and got hit in the chest, out for a corner... instead of getting up high 5 and sort defence out he stayed down like a little child. Sums him up really... we do need a braver keeper.

acnumber9

Well he said the players. He is a player so I’m going to go ahead and put 2 and 2 together on this one and say that’s he included himself already.

criticalanalysis

Soon as the he gears up for a long ball you know its going to the opposition
:lol: so true.

He doesn't have many options but his composure/intelligence with the ball at his feet or even when in his hands is woeful. He never tries to read the game and slow it down, speed it up or shout/get his team to give him obvious passing angles. It's almost an automatic reaction of just getting the ball out of his feet/hands, like a goalkeeping version of AWB where the mentality is like 'it's a free hit/ball'.

Sylar

Thanks for your service and fantastic saves DDG.
POTS (well its between him and Ronaldo tbh)

But yeah, ETH needs to do a Pep/Klopp and get this sorted. Our spine needs amending and that involves the keeper mostly. One that can command the box and play with feet along with obviously not being prone to mistakes on saving shots.

CloneMC16

I saw a bunch of posts in the match thread saying he saved us against Chelsea. I'm pretty sure every shot he saved was straight at him? I don't remember any save that I thought was particularly good. If he let in those shots, it would have been massively disappointing.

I agree with this guy:

Some of our players are deluded and think they're way better than they are.

Red Rash

I saw a bunch of posts in the match thread saying he saved us against Chelsea. I'm pretty sure every shot he saved was straight at him? I don't remember any save that I thought was particularly good. If he let in those shots, it would have been massively disappointing.

I agree with this guy:

Some of our players are deluded and think they're way better than they are.
I don't see anything wrong with what he said but some people will manipulate his words.

He kept saying "we" and that he feels embarrassed. This is showing that he is talking about the collection of players including himself.

We all know DDG has some flaws as a player but in terms of individual season he has been very good and at least is willing to speak up on our problems rather than completely go hiding some others.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yep. I've found that any half-decent save gets talked up as if only De Gea being absolutely world class is able to make it. The reality is that the vast majority are saves that any keeper in the 'fairly good' bracket would make, with only the odd one here and there that are truly fantastic.

phelans shorts

Yep. I've found that any half-decent save gets talked up as if only De Gea being absolutely world class is able to make it. The reality is that the vast majority are saves that any keeper in the 'fairly good' bracket would make, with only the odd one here and there that are truly fantastic.
You are aware that being in the right position is a key part of being a goalkeeper, right?

Like getting somewhere that even a great shot would end up being within reach? It’s a skill.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You are aware that being in the right position is a key part of being a goalkeeper, right?

Like getting somewhere that even a great shot would end up being within reach? It’s a skill.
Yes I'm aware of that. It doesn't change a thing I posted. The vast majority of them are ones that you'd expect any fairly good keeper to make, and it's only occasionally that it actually is something special. None of his saves in this match against Chelsea were difficult.

It's actually a strange comment when talking about De Gea, because his positioning probably works against him more than it does for him. Sure he's great laterally across the goal, but his deep positioning also makes it more difficult for himself at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.