Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Interesting thread focusing on de Gea's time under LVG and Frans Hoek.

The fact that Enrique has more or less given up on him with Spain says a lot too.

De Gea will survive the cull this summer because there's already so much to do, but he needs replacing as well. We won't be able to become a successful footballing side with him in the team.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
You worry about the progress we can make under ETH with such a poor keeper between the sticks.

Pep was hamstrung by Claudio Bravo’s shitness between the sticks in his first season. Klopp only got his hands on a trophy once Alisson was there.

I hope he’s dropped when ETH is here as we need a proactive progressive keeper. Jose Sa looks the real deal and wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Goalkeeper distribution is certainly one of my bigger concerns for next season. It's so central to how Ajax build from defence and one of the areas least likely to be addressed through this summer's recruitment. De Gea is really bad in that regard and even Henderson isn't particularly great either.

I fear a double whammy of cheap goals conceded through "risky" play at the back that wouldn't actually be all that risky if everyone was competent enough on the ball along with disjointed possession out of defence. And it's not like the back four in front of De Gea leave me ecstatic with confidence either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Goalkeeper distribution is certainly one of my bigger concerns for next season. It's so central to how Ajax build from defence and one of the areas least likely to be addressed through this summer's recruitment. De Gea is really bad in that regard and even Henderson isn't particularly great either.

I fear a double whammy of cheap goals conceded through "risky" play at the back that wouldn't actually be all that risky if everyone was competent enough on the ball along with disjointed possession out of defence. And it's not like the back four in front of De Gea leave me ecstatic with confidence either.
Yup. Arsenal pre-Ramsdale. It will be absolutely infuriating if all us mugs can see this problem coming but the people at the club paid millions and to pre-empt these issues are as dazzled by above average shot-stopping as the eejits who talk about football on TV.

This whole “De Gea is the least of their problems” narrative drives me up the wall. Such a terrible under-rating of the importance of a position who starts every single game, is heavily involved in our build up play and often the last line of defence outside the box (or should be anyway)

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
De Gea is a great shot stopper.
Some of his saves this season have been Banks like.
His distribution is poor. The best keepers start attacking moves with good distribution.
His kicking is crap.
he does not control his area.

If we are going to play high octane football as I expect ten Hag will do the keeper needs to at times play like a sweeper.

And he is paid crazy wages.

It will be interesting if ten Hag can improve him.

Dean Henderson has not played enough for us to see what he can do.

Longshanks

Couple of decent saves and generally solid performance but there was a couple of classic de geaism's some really poor kicking out and distribution when under pressure and a classic example of why he is actually quite a big problem, 57th minute Brentford corner gets half cleared, ball gets rather hopefully put back in the box its dropping on the six yard line surrounded by red shirts, keepers ball all day, de gea hesitates and instead allows dalot to attempt a clearance back over his own head which ends up with a Brentford player who sets up Toney for a dangerous shot which de gea saves, a save he should of never had to make, instead he should of been starting a potentially dangerous attack for us rather than having to make a save or if the finish was better picking the ball out of the back if the net.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Poor performance. Ball dropping in the six yard box with him nowhere to be seen and more of the standard, deeply uncomfortable on the ball, stuff we’ve come to expect. Starting to get seriously worried that everyone at the club has their head up their arse about this. He’s just not compatible with the way we’re supposed to be playing under ETH.

kundalini

De Gea's distribution was interesting. Aiming for Elanga was strange but preferable to kicking it down the middle with no United player within 20 yards of that zone.

Zetrio2002

Manchester United's David de Gea can reach a Premier League record on Monday night when the Reds host Brentford at Old Trafford.

De Gea has been one of the few bright notes for United this season pulling off some crucial saves to ensure that United remained in touching distance of the Champions League places up until recently. United's draw against Chelsea followed by victories for Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend mean the Reds' hopes of making the top four are all but over.

Ahead of United's last home match of the 2022/23 season, De Gea can equal or surpass one of his own Premier League records. United's number one has made a phenomenal 121 saves in the Premier League this season.

Manchester evening news.

Sylar

The passing from our defenders is even worse. Our own players mounting the pressure on DeGea by giving him the ball with opposition players next to him. What could go wrong... That pass from Matic... sweet jesus.
I mean yes and no.
Our players should know what to expect from DDG . But then its a handicap that we cant even use him as a way to actually play football. Look at the one at 1:13. I was just shocked at that during the game because that one is something you would see from a lower league goal keeper.
I honestly think we wouldnt be worse off with Pickford (and i dont rate him as a top keeper).

It worries me that Rangnick says keeper is the one place we dont need to improve. Hopefully ETH doesnt agree.
DDGs shot stopping is his best attribute, but some off that is brought on by himself and his lack of movement.

Thanks DDG for your service, but we really really need to move on from him. I also dont buy into this (we have other positions we need to improve more on). Keeper is part of the spine and what can build to the way we play and how we defend. (and its the same point Ive made before, its why when Pep and Klopp when they went in, tried to sort that out asap, and when their original choice failed, they spent over 50m on a keeper)
Maybe we need the third choice brazilian goal keeper.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Who could we get though?
Not many options available in the market and almost all the major teams have established keepers already.

Maybe Navas if he wanted to leave psg?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Why is it any different when people hate Rashford for not trying hard?

For hating Maguire like they wasted their own money?

I can't stand De Gea because I feel like he is a patch that ends up looking greater than he is.

Does he have a work rate just because he makes saves? Do you see him coming off his line to collect a corner?

De gea is a single ability player and that ability is so so good that it makes alot of fans think he is something that doesn't need to be changed.

That's why I "hate" de gea. Nothing to do with the person; more the false comforting he gives to a certain bunch of fans thinking that he is doing his job just because he does one single thing; a single thing that does not interlink with any single player of the rest of the XI.

Sorry if I hurt you about hating De Gea. I don't really hate players, but after watching how the fanbase hate Rashford, Maguire, Bruno Fernandes and more - I just decided like I needed to pick my own one.
I agree with everything you're saying about De Gea as a keeper. I also think we would be much better off with someone else in goal. However, I think you need to find a different word to use other than "hate". I don't "hate" De Gea.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Not a bad shout, especially when Donna is the future for PSG.
Hes just a bit too old at 35 and hasn't had regular gametime in a while so still very risky , maybe we actually would have been better off had the swap as it was intended actually transpired in 2015.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
VDS was 35 when we bought him...
He hasn't had the peak that vds had and I rate Navas very very much.
Also this might just be a stupid theory of mine but I think shorter keepers age worse due to having to rely on acrobatics a lot more (like what happened to iker) and he is on the shorter side.

In the if the situation with Dave gets terminal and he agrees to reasonable wages, why not.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I agree with everything you're saying about De Gea as a keeper. I also think we would be much better off with someone else in goal. However, I think you need to find a different word to use other than "hate". I don't "hate" De Gea.
I agree. I never hated a single United player - I just couldn't control my feelings one day after reading so many comments over different players yet people being happy with de Gea's performances at the same time.

The Oracle

I'm fully aware that his distribution is incredibly poor for the highest paid goalkeeper in the World.

What is even more concerning in my opinion, is De Gea's absolute refusal to collect crosses. This was something that I highlighted in our match against Chelsea.

I am now highlighting it again in last night's match against Brentford...

56 minutes, 37 seconds on the clock, a corner is swung in to the 6 yard box, and it was literally played to the centre of our goal line and incredibly just 2 yards out. De Gea was stood there rooted to his line, and refused to attempt to collect a cross that was played in, two yards in front of him. All De Gea did was shout, "Away!".

It's ridiculous how static he is.

Every opposition has no issue whatsoever in playing corners into our 6 yard box, because they know that the highest paid goalkeeper in the World will not collect the ball.

Embarrassing.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I agree he isn’t a modern goalkeeper and we need to upgrade at some point - but the Matic and Telles passes back to him in that complication were fecking atrocious - plus the Dalot one where he kicked it out for a corner :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I mean yes and no.
Our players should know what to expect from DDG . But then its a handicap that we cant even use him as a way to actually play football. Look at the one at 1:13. I was just shocked at that during the game because that one is something you would see from a lower league goal keeper.
I honestly think we wouldnt be worse off with Pickford (and i dont rate him as a top keeper).

It worries me that Rangnick says keeper is the one place we dont need to improve. Hopefully ETH doesnt agree.
DDGs shot stopping is his best attribute, but some off that is brought on by himself and his lack of movement.

Thanks DDG for your service, but we really really need to move on from him. I also dont buy into this (we have other positions we need to improve more on). Keeper is part of the spine and what can build to the way we play and how we defend. (and its the same point Ive made before, its why when Pep and Klopp when they went in, tried to sort that out asap, and when their original choice failed, they spent over 50m on a keeper)
Maybe we need the third choice brazilian goal keeper.
What Rangnick said was that we have 3 good keepers (Heaton, DdG, Henderson), so the Goalkeeper isn't a area that should be prioritised in his opinion, after he was asked about which positions need prioritising.

Around 2 minutes of the below clip.

Oranges038

VDS was 35 when we bought him...
VDS was a totally different style of keeper, he used his organisation, positioning and anticipation to great effect. It's very much why he peaked later than most and weirdly appeared to get better as time went on. He probably could have played for another year or two.

Navas relies heavily on his speed and agility, which in all likelihood will deteriorate more rapidly in the next year or two. Than they have up to this point.

I'm fully aware that his distribution is incredibly poor for the highest paid goalkeeper in the World.

What is even more concerning in my opinion, is De Gea's absolute refusal to collect crosses. This was something that I highlighted in our match against Chelsea.

I am now highlighting it again in last night's match against Brentford...

56 minutes, 37 seconds on the clock, a corner is swung in to the 6 yard box, and it was literally played to the centre of our goal line and incredibly just 2 yards out. De Gea was stood there rooted to his line, and refused to attempt to collect a cross that was played in, two yards in front of him. All De Gea did was shout, "Away!".

It's ridiculous how static he is.

Every opposition has no issue whatsoever in playing corners into our 6 yard box, because they know that the highest paid goalkeeper in the World will not collect the ball.

Embarrassing.
I still have no idea how he gets away with it. I said last year about the Roma game where he was apparently brilliant that he could have prevented a lot of those chances and efforts just by dealing with the first ball.

There was also the goal against City earlier this season where it travelled about 35 yards, drops 3 yards from him and he shouts away at it. All the while Bernardo Silva runs about 20 yards in the same space of time to get on the end if it and beat him at his near post.

AusRed

Yet you criticise those who think we would be better off without four time relegated Maguire. At least De Gea has earned the credits in the bank and has also won a league title.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He hasn't had the peak that vds had and I rate Navas very very much.
Also this might just be a stupid theory of mine but I think shorter keepers age worse due to having to rely on acrobatics a lot more (like what happened to iker) and he is on the shorter side.

In the if the situation with Dave gets terminal and he agrees to reasonable wages, why not.
You might have something there.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You might have something there.
Has been a very solid and unfortunately under rated keeper for years, was good in sg as well helping them to another being pivotal CL final but got dropped due to the Shitshow that happens at times over there.

I thought about and I think he's the only possible big name keeper out there, there simply is no one else that comes to mind being available .

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yet you criticise those who think we would be better off without four time relegated Maguire. At least De Gea has earned the credits in the bank and has also won a league title.
Try and keep on topic would you. If you want to troll me about Maguire, do it at the appropriate thread. If you would really like to talk about De Gea and why he shouldn't be our #1 I will gladly fill you in. I don't expect you to understand it though as Goldbridge hasn't told you to think that way yet

JB7

Who could we get though?
Not many options available in the market and almost all the major teams have established keepers already.

Maybe Navas if he wanted to leave psg?
Are you serious? There are loads of goalkeepers available, it just depends what market you want to shop in. Just look at Wolves last summer, moved on Rui Patricio due to being rooted to his line and his poor distribution and actually made a profit while bringing in Jose Sa who's been one of the top 3/4 goalkeepers in the league this season. Heck even if we didn't want to look outside of the Premier League there's Sa or Robert Sanchez and two or three others that would be considerable upgrades overall without costing a fortune.

He's not a difficult goalkeeper to replace due to the chaos he causes by refusing the leave his line to either collect balls in behind the defenders or crosses into the box, coupled with his communication being abysmal for a goalkeeper of any level.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Are you serious? There are loads of goalkeepers available, it just depends what market you want to shop in. Just look at Wolves last summer, moved on Rui Patricio due to being rooted to his line and his poor distribution and actually made a profit while bringing in Jose Sa who's been one of the top 3/4 goalkeepers in the league this season. Heck even if we didn't want to look outside of the Premier League there's Sa or Robert Sanchez and two or three others that would be considerable upgrades overall without costing a fortune.

He's not a difficult goalkeeper to replace due to the chaos he causes by refusing the leave his line to either collect balls in behind the defenders or crosses into the box, coupled with his communication being abysmal for a goalkeeper of any level.
I don't know, don't see any standout goal keepers in the market who could be guaranteed to be a standout hit, there is also this Yasin bono fella from Sevilla whom I like but he's kinda on the older side and not really proven in a big team.

I'm not a scout obviously so hopefully your correct and there someone obvious out there who would immediately improve us.

JB7

I don't know, don't see any standout goal keepers in the market who could be guaranteed to be a standout hit, there is also this Yasin bono fella from Sevilla whom I like but he's kinda on the older side and not really proven in a big team.

I'm not a scout obviously so hopefully your correct and there someone obvious out there who would immediately improve us.
Like I said, it doesn't take a lot due to how poor he is in most areas of the game. We aim to play a high line in front of a goalkeeper that doesn't come for cross or sweep behind the defenders - even a goalkeeper relatively average at both things would be a considerable upgrade, particularly if they are a vocal presence as well, as we saw with Henderson in his spell in the team last season, and Romero at times as well. You've got Sanchez, Sa, Raya as the obvious stand-outs that would be improvements overall, there are others in the PL who would be improvements too, some of which I'm sure people would laugh at but that's the reality of the situation.

If you wanted to look outside the PL at younger goalkeepers that may step up, then you've got Lafont at Nantes, Maximiano at Granada, Diogo Costa at Porto. I hear good things about a few others like Bijlow at Feyenoord too but I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement as yet. The best realistic option currently out there is Mike Maignan I'd say but he'd probably be out reach this summer, looking back it's astonishing how we somehow allowed both him and Donnarumma to change clubs for buttons last summer without even pretending to be interested.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Semi finals of CL showed that shot stopping is the main and by far the most important trait for gk.
Ederson (wet dream for some posters) and Rulli cost their teams because they couldn't do decent save in two games.

I would take gk who is excellent in shot stopping over those gk playmakers any day of the week.

kthanksbye

Surely there is some room for improvement, at the moment he's one of the worst keepers in terms of distribution among the top clubs. Ideally we need to replace him with a "modern" keeper, but since there's already so many positions that need filling, he should survive this summer and maybe ETH could work at his distribution, surely this isn't his actual level with his feet and he can get better at it. Also having players around him who can actually control a football would go a long way.

kthanksbye

Semi finals of CL showed that shot stopping is the main and by far the most important trait for gk.
Ederson (wet dream for some posters) and Rulli cost their teams because they couldn't do decent save in two games.

I would take gk who is excellent in shot stopping over those gk playmakers any day of the week.
That's a very simplistic way of looking at it, one could argue that the fact that their teams made it to the last 4 of the CL is because they have keepers who can withstand a high press and are capable of contributing to buildup from the back. Not like shot stopping isn't important, but modern keepers are spending more time with the ball at their feet than making saves, they're having to start more attacks than the number of saves they're required to make. Besides, I'm not sure if DeGea could've done anything about any of the Madrid goals yesterday.

arnie_ni

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it, one could argue that the fact that their teams made it to the last 4 of the CL is because they have keepers who can withstand a high press and are capable of contributing to buildup from the back. Not like shot stopping isn't important, but modern keepers are spending more time with the ball at their feet than making saves, they're having to start more attacks than the number of saves they're required to make. Besides, I'm not sure if DeGea could've done anything about any of the Madrid goals yesterday.
I'd hope he'd have saved the header. It didn't look anywhere near the corner to me.

kthanksbye

I'd hope he'd have saved the header. It didn't look anywhere near the corner to me.
Maybe, but it's still one of those goals for me that cannot be put on the keeper, unlike the Fabinho goal against Villareal. Headers are difficult to save, the cross was whipped in with decent pace, even looked like Asensio was going to head it, he did get a touch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.