Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie_ni

Maybe, but it's still one of those goals for me that cannot be put on the keeper, unlike the Fabinho goal against Villareal. Headers are difficult to save, the cross was whipped in with decent pace, even looked like Asensio was going to head it, he did get a touch too.
I'm not necessarily saying it's his fault. I don't expect ederson to save it, but I'd be disappointed if de gea didn't save it.

Thats what he does, saves goals others wouldn't.

kthanksbye

I'm not necessarily saying it's his fault. I don't expect ederson to save it, but I'd be disappointed if de gea didn't save it.

Oh ok, I misunderstood. Yes, I agree with you. DeGea has been making these kind of saves that have literally earned us points. If Ederson saves that, City are in the final.

JB7

You'd be disappointed if De Gea didn't stop that? Are you serious? You did see the header that beat him when Atletico won at Old Trafford right? Or the header that Atalanta scored at Old Trafford? Both comfortably more saveable headers than that one last night.

Lyng

You'd be disappointed if De Gea didn't stop that? Are you serious? You did see the header that beat him when Atletico won at Old Trafford right? Or the header that Atalanta scored at Old Trafford? Both comfortably more saveable headers than that one last night.
Which was dissapointing since he usually saves those. I am quite sure he would have saved that header yesterday, especially with his overall shot stopping form this season.

JB7

Which was dissapointing since he usually saves those. I am quite sure he would have saved that header yesterday, especially with his overall shot stopping form this season.
He doesn't usually save them though, that's my point, I'm not even saying he necessarily should be saving them either although they were both very preventable goals from a goalkeeping standpoint.

I think we've seen from De Gea that his head often goes in high pressure moments, if he makes what he would consider a mistake he often follows it up with another one and I just don't see him saving that second header, I also think he's much more likely to get beaten from the near post shot that Rodrygo had 30 seconds later because he doesn't come as far out as Ederson and the near post has always been a weak spot in his game.

Ironically, the one I think he's most likely to stop of the three shots (two goals, one save) is the first one because he'd be on his line rather than going for the ball. Now don't get me wrong, the goalkeeper has to go for it, it's the goalkeepers ball all day long. But with the benefit of hindsight, Rodrygo gets the only type of touch he can possibly get on it which is just a flick and from watching De Gea week in week out for what, 11/12 years now, I think that's the one he's most likely to stop as he'd still be upright on his line - even though I'd say the goalkeeper has to be going for it because you play the odds at times as a goalkeeper and that ball reaches the diving goalkeeper 8 or 9 times out of 10 whereas even an exceptional shot stopping goalkeeper stops a shot from 3 yards out probably 1 or 2 times in 10.

Longshanks

Semi finals of CL showed that shot stopping is the main and by far the most important trait for gk.
Ederson (wet dream for some posters) and Rulli cost their teams because they couldn't do decent save in two games.

I would take gk who is excellent in shot stopping over those gk playmakers any day of the week.

Ederson's best trait is his ability on the ball, pep bought him because he is by far the bets goalkeeper in the world on the ball, he's better than most of our current midfield. But his shot stopping and command of area has always been suspect. But pep accepts that weakness because of the massive advantage he gives them with his distribution in peps set up. In all honesty I'm not sure there was an awful lot he could do about the 2nd goal he is a bit flat footed because of the deflection of the first player and Rodrygo gets alot on the header, it's past him before he has reset himself, de gea against Athletico was probably worse.

De gea also let's plenty of soft goals in aswell by the way, all keepers do, de gea probably let's in more than most, but because he is also capable of the ridiculous saves it gets brushed under the carpet somewhat. If he was even just average at sweeping, command, organisation, distribution then he would be an excellent goalkeeper. But he's not he is actually awful probably the worst in the league at those goalkeeping skills and those problems are amplified if you want to play high line/high press possesion based football which ETH will certainly be looking to do. For all the outstanding saves he makes that directly stop us from conceding I dread to think of all the chances and goals we give up indirectly because of his lack of ability on other areas of his game.

Zetrio2002

Another clean sheet for De Gea. Wonder if he will scale new height when he is made the captain after Maguire.

Trequartistry

Another clean sheet for De Gea. Wonder if he will scale new height when he is made the captain after Maguire.
A player who’s scared to claim crosses, blame others for his own failings like when he constantly boots the ball out of play, made the most big game errors, constantly blames others in interviews as captain? You’re having a laugh

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
A player who’s scared to claim crosses, blame others for his own failings like when he constantly boots the ball out of play, made the most big game errors, constantly blames others in interviews as captain? You’re having a laugh
Not to mention the lofty percentage of times he boots the ball straight to a opposition player while our fullbacks are trying to break, leaving our CB's more exposed than a ginger Prince in Vegas.

Lyng

The one you described is our current captain....

Remember the geese

Obviously not his fault for the thumping yesterday, but how much longer are we going to tolerate his cowardice? He shrivels up and makes himself as small as possible in one on one situations. This is only one part of his game. Let alone his reluctance to leave his goal line and very average distribution. I hear him speak in interviews and he gives the impression that he thinks he's performing well, in a sea of shite.

Mainoldo

When DeGea is thriving we all know it means we are having a poor season.

grahamo

I've said it before. He's a good shot stopper. That is it! He's useless at one on ones. He won't claim the ball at a players feet. Hes useless on corners. He won't come off his line to close an angle. His distribution is terrible. He constantly gives the ball straight back to the opposition which puts us straight back under pressure. If He's one of Our best players then We really are s***e!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've said it before. He's a good shot stopper. That is it! He's useless at one on ones. He won't claim the ball at a players feet. Hes useless on corners. He won't come off his line to close an angle. His distribution is terrible. He constantly gives the ball straight back to the opposition which puts us straight back under pressure. If He's one of Our best players then We really are s***e!
He is a player that I believe could really improve improve the whole United team if we replace him with a good quality overall goalkeeper who can do some of those things you mentioned.

Whilst I'm unsure about Henderson, people saw that our team played differently when he was our goalkeeper.

I believe its the reason Luis Enrique doesn't use De Gea too and would use henderson over him if he had to make a choice primarily because it effects how a team like his can play.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I was watching extended highlights of our CL semi final vs Arsenal all those years ago.

The amount of times Van Der Sar comes out and collects or punches a dangerous delivery…it’s like watching a different sport. Just shows that replacing DdG would be a massive upgrade. Sooner the better.

hmchan

With the stupid contract we offered to him (when he kept making mistakes), we're never going to move him on.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Obviously not his fault for the thumping yesterday, but how much longer are we going to tolerate his cowardice? He shrivels up and makes himself as small as possible in one on one situations. This is only one part of his game. Let alone his reluctance to leave his goal line and very average distribution. I hear him speak in interviews and he gives the impression that he thinks he's performing well, in a sea of shite.
Well, relatively speaking he is performing better than his team mates. And that's the problem with DDG. He only plays well when we're shit. More shots against us means he gets more chances to do what he's good at.

There was a period of time under Ole when we began to dominate games and possession and he withered because he isn't suited to playing in a setup like that. Organising the defense, playing a high line, keeping concentration between periods of quiet, those are not things he can do.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Always wondered about how he would turn out had Fergie not retired as surprisingly both of our greatest keepers under him were rather proactive and aggressive in commanding the box.
Would he have insisted with him all the way?he did give him a ton of reprieve early on.

Last edited:

DepaysCowboyHat

Omg, we all know the strengths and we all know the weaknesses in his game, we should also all know he has without a doubt been our absolutely best player the last 7-8 years, had a horrible few months which epitomed in that europa league final. He bounced back from that pretty strong, even breaking his penalty curse in the process.

He is not a problem at the moment, even if he isnt a typical ETH type keeper.
Put some respeckkkk on Daves name. Be well everyone.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Omg, we all know the strengths and we all know the weaknesses in his game, we should also all know he has without a doubt been our absolutely best player the last 7-8 years, had a horrible few months which epitomed in that europa league final. He bounced back from that pretty strong, even breaking his penalty curse in the process.

He’s had more than a few months. He was throwing them in a couple of seasons ago when it resulted in a missed top 4 finish. Threw one in against Barcelona in that run too.

DDG has been here for 10 years and our defence has been shite in that time. DDG plays a part in that

Remember the geese

Well, relatively speaking he is performing better than his team mates. And that's the problem with DDG. He only plays well when we're shit. More shots against us means he gets more chances to do what he's good at.

There was a period of time under Ole when we began to dominate games and possession and he withered because he isn't suited to playing in a setup like that. Organising the defense, playing a high line, keeping concentration between periods of quiet, those are not things he can do.
Yeah, he is only performing well in the sense that he isn't chucking the ball into his net like he was during the previous few years. His general shot stopping has returned to an acceptable standard, but even then, it's only specific type of shots that he excels at. Anything that requires any form of bravey, physical contact or rushing out to make a chance more difficult for an attacker and he is utterly hopeless at it. I remember various goals we have conceded this season where he was an embarrassment.

I often see him criticised for not being able to do certain things that are perceived as 'modern goalkeeping'. However, he also lacks basic fundamentals that have always been essential for a goalkeeper.

JB7

Yeah, he is only performing well in the sense that he isn't chucking the ball into his net like he was during the previous few years. His general shot stopping has returned to an acceptable standard, but even then, it's only specific type of shots that he excels at. Anything that requires any form of bravey, physical contact or rushing out to make a chance more difficult for an attacker and he is utterly hopeless at it. I remember various goals we have conceded this season where he was an embarrassment.

I often see him criticised for not being able to do certain things that are perceived as 'modern goalkeeping'. However, he also lacks basic fundamentals that have always been essential for a goalkeeper.
This is the critical aspect for me. Some of the things he does regularly I used to have my coach screaming at me for when I was really young; 8, 9, 10 years old. Communication, owning your penalty area, dealing with balls in behind the defenders, taking crosses, making your body big rather than diving backwards showing the striker the sole of your feet, similarly closing the attackers angles down when they're through on goal. These are basics and have been for 30/40/50 years now.

Based Adnan

Always wondered about how he would turn out had Fergie not retired as surprisingly both of our greatest keepers under him were rather proactive and aggressive in commanding the box.
Would he have insisted with him all the way?he did give him a ton of reprieve early on.
He definitely improved in this aspect in 12/13 and later on when LVG came in and brought Fans Hoek although I still wouldn't consider it a strength of his. All went downhill after that though and made worse when we allowed him to choose his own goalkeeping coach and he chose his mate from Atletico Madrid.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

De Gea was terrible for three seasons straight before this season. Played a huge part in us missing out on the CL one season, knocking us out of the CL another, made mistakes in most of the semi-finals that we lost, and just constant and regular mistakes throughout those three seasons.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
This is the critical aspect for me. Some of the things he does regularly I used to have my coach screaming at me for when I was really young; 8, 9, 10 years old. Communication, owning your penalty area, dealing with balls in behind the defenders, taking crosses, making your body big rather than diving backwards showing the striker the sole of your feet, similarly closing the attackers angles down when they're through on goal. These are basics and have been for 30/40/50 years now.
Yep, I was thinking about this the other day.

People talk as if it's just the new-fangled thing of wanting a goalkeeper who can play passes well that has put a bit more focus on him, and if not for that he'd be considered amazing. When in reality I would say it's the exact opposite. He came along at the only time in the last 40 years or so that he would have been able to stand out as a top keeper. If he'd come through any earlier he would have been absolutely destroyed by the big physical strikers who were allowed to actually compete with keepers, and also crossing probably played a bigger part at that time. And if he came along any later he would have always had a sharp focus on his limitations of distribution and passing. There was a period in between that neither of those were a big issue, and thankfully for him he played the first half of his career during that period. The limitations were always there and they always hurt a bit, but there weren't as highlighted as they would have been at any other time.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He definitely improved in this aspect in 12/13 and later on when LVG came in and brought Fans Hoek although I still wouldn't consider it a strength of his. All went downhill after that though and made worse when we allowed him to choose his own goalkeeping coach and he chose his mate from Atletico Madrid.
Yeah, I always thought he was pretty decent overall in the 2013 season.
He probably would have never been as good in those areas as the best of the best but we certainly didn't help his development either.

Longshanks

Which is why he was dropped and why if it wasn't for hendersons long covid we probably wouldn't be discussing his performances and may even still be arguing about ole in/ole out.

Its an odd thing this season our two best performing individuals, De Gea and Ronaldo are probably our two biggest issues in terms of the teams performance, individuly they have been excellent but there weaknesses have a massive impact on the team.

Rake

While he is not our biggest issue, I believe that he is still the highest paid GK in the world but his performances don't reflect this.

mikeyt

Needs to be shipped out asap, would rather Heaton or Henderson played to be quite honest. People are quick to call out Maguire, AWB, etc but the buck stops with the goalkeeper. He's been woeful as an all round GK for a long time and our defensive displays are reflective that you can't simply be a shot stopper in this league. We'd probably have to let him go on a free though with his current salary.

Telsim

Yeah, his salary is just eye-watering. Top 5 highest paid player in the PL this season? He is unsaleable at this point so it's better to let his contract run down and eventually part ways. Put him to good use in the meantime, but talks of a new contract are unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.