Player Agent: Relatives
Squad Number: #1
Contract until: Jun 30, 2023
Contract option: Option for a further year
Date of last contract extension: Sep 16, 2019
Sponsor: Adidas

Last edited:

The Cluck

The media are reporting De Gea is cutting his holiday short by two weeks to start preseason training next week, in an effort to reclaim the number one spot. Good attitude. Good luck to him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The media are reporting De Gea is cutting his holiday short by two weeks to start preseason training next week, in an effort to reclaim the number one spot. Good attitude. Good luck to him.
Meh, a good attitude would have seen him take his craft seriously enough to not see him regress as much as he has to lose his spot in the first place

izec

Lets hope they are wrong and he is looking for a new club instead. He reached a new low in the EL final for me, he cant be
our No. 1 anymore.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Either way, I hope we let one of them go.

Henderson spoke recently about how mentally exhausting fighting to get into the team was last season. I don't think it's good for either to have the other constantly breathing down their neck. Pick one and back them by letting the other leave, even if you can only manage a loan or something.

The Cluck

Either way, I hope we let one of them go.

Henderson spoke recently about how mentally exhausting fighting to get into the team was last season. I don't think it's good for either to have the other constantly breathing down their back. Pick one and back them by letting the other leave, even if you can only manage a loan or something.
Agreed. It could end up being a repeat of the Tim Howard / Roy Carroll situation in 2004-06, when one kept getting dropped for the other after making a mistake. It couldn’t have been good for the confidence knowing that one clanger and you’re out of the team.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
One of the highest earning players in the world at £375k/w. That doesn't mean he has to play (sunken cost fallacy), it just means we can't sell him. I'd honestly get an upgrade. If he's interested in improving his form and reclaiming his no 1 spot, he can do so from the cups.

That graph is just his shot stopping, which was his greatest strength. He always lacked in other areas. Collecting, commanding his box, passing, pens...

Since we don't seem to be in for a new no 1, Ole must either really rate Hendo or believe Dave can turn it around. Based on last season I can't see us winning the league with either goalie, sadly.

sillwuka

I think Dave will be up for a fight for the number 1 spot, it could all unravel for Henderson if his mentality isn't top notch.

izec

He is a liability. You can pretty much write the season off if he is our No. 1. Playing just due to his name and wages at this point. And the worst thing is, he wont turn it around anyway. Completely wasted

largelyworried

I still think it'd be a mistake for Ole to go into this season with this as an open question. As much as De Gea needs to get his shot stopping back on track, he also needs to get significantly better at sweeping, cross taking, talking to the defense and being assertive when the ball is in the box. Which is a lot of stuff to be weak at.

Trouble is, De Gea is such a big name that no matter how poor his form is, people just assume he's good. You only need to look at this forum, there are still people trying to argue that De Gea is in the top handful of the GKs in the world. In the wider footballing world no doubt plenty of people still feel the same way. So having him on the bench has all the downsides and drama of a benched big name player without the upside of being able to call on world class talent.

If Ole can't offload him - very possible given his wages - then at least he needs to make it explicitly clear who the number 1 is. This "two number ones" stuff doesn't help the club at all.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Honestly can't recall ever seeing a GK's ability take such a complete noise dive so drastically because let's be clear if he was still in god mode people would still be ignoring the deficiencies in his game like they had been doing

Red_toad

I think Dave will be up for a fight for the number 1 spot, it could all unravel for Henderson if his mentality isn't top notch.
Dave needs to do the near impossible and get better. He’s not been the same keeper for a few seasons now and his endearing memory of last season will be getting nowhere near 11 straight penalties and missing his own. So Henderson will be fine I’d say, he’s going to be up for the fight once more.

Womp

idiot
Honestly can't recall ever seeing a GK's ability take such a complete noise dive so drastically because let's be clear if he was still in god mode people would still be ignoring the deficiencies in his game like they had been doing
That's a huge decline from 17/18 to 18/19, crazy

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Thinking about him in goal makes me worried about next season. Varane will make us stronger but I still doubt De Gea overall ability, he has declined massively and I don't see how it can be reversed.

crossy1686

career ending
Thinking about him in goal makes me worried about next season. Varane will make us stronger but I still doubt De Gea overall ability, he has declined massively and I don't see how it can be reversed.
I don't think he'll start. Surely Henderson is the number 1 next season? We should be looking to move Dave on based on those numbers mentioned above alone.

Tallis

There is a lesson in there about not giving super big contracts to players who have peaked and are on their last major contracts. We can learn from it or be doomed to repeat our mistakes

Siezard

Lady luck shining on De Gea. He will lead the line again.

Sylar

There is a lesson in there about not giving super big contracts to players who have peaked and are on their last major contracts. We can learn from it or be doomed to repeat our mistakes
I thought we learnt it after giving it to Rooney, back in 2013 :lol:

dalriada

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Maybe Henderson can be his Telles. More pressure on both keepers to perform, and that can be a bit risky but I wthink Ole will go the route of run of games where big mistakes might drop one or another, which might be good or not but perhaps both keepers will be working on their deficiencies, and deGea is still young for a goalie. It's not like we bought Van Der Saar when he wasn't already retired for some fans here going by his age.

spiriticon

Get some penalty training Dave. Seriously. Saving penalties can probably win about 5-10 points a season.

Alfie092

Whether or not de Gea can go back to playing at a consistently world-class level I'm not sure about but even if he can perform at a very high level consistently then I am all for it. If he can do that then we can keep the number of goals we concede this season to a minimum! Then we can just let our attacking players do the job at the other end of the pitch :D

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Will be keen to see what kind of De Gea we get this season.

After a couple of awfully error-strewn seasons, last season was interesting in that he managed to largely cut out those errors but was instead rather average at the things he's normally good at, while still being weak at the things he was typically weak at. So fewer howlers, more meh performances.

Because of that what I'd really be looking for from De Gea at the start of the season is for him to be on point with his shot-stopping again. If he shows he's still a top notch shot stopper and keeps the mistakes to a minimum then maybe he has a chance of holding off Henderson. But if the things he's supposed to be fundamentally strong at aren't looking strong then he has no chance.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Will be keen to see what kind of De Gea we get this season.

After a couple of awfully error-strewn seasons, last season was interesting in that he managed to largely cut out those errors but was instead rather average at the things he's normally good at, while still being weak at the things he was typically weak at. So fewer howlers, more meh performances.

Because of that what I'd really be looking for from De Gea at the start of the season is for him to be on point with his shot-stopping again. If he shows he's still a top notch shot stopper and keeps the mistakes to a minimum then maybe he has a chance of holding off Henderson. But if the things he's supposed to be fundamentally strong at aren't looking strong then he has no chance.
I agree with your assessment. He was much improved in latter stages of the season. First half he was down with the bottom goalkeepers in the league. He finished 5th worst and on the negative side of shot stopping parameters.

Our only hope is he continues his form from the last 3 months. Which still is a bit meh.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He will prove all of you wrong. Just wait and watch.
For him to do that he has to up his game, he's been quite underwhelming the past three years or so, but i do believe he can pull it off, i hope he does cause i still think there's something still great in the way he makes saves.

Nickelodeon

For him to do that he has to up his game, he's been quite underwhelming the past three years or so, but i do believe he can pull it off, i hope he does cause i still think there's something still great in the way he makes saves.
He needs more love and confidence from the fans. A couple of good saves and 'David De Gea' chants from a full OT should be a good start.

However, we don't just need him to get back to his shot stopping best, but we also need leadership from our GKs (whether its him or Hendo) on set pieces where our recent record is atrocious.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I would have wished that Ole kept Romero instead of De Gea but I reckon that doing so would have put a lot of pressure on him if the goalkeepers ended up struggling. I reckon that it might have effected the "good and close team mates type atmosphere" Ole is trying to keep as we saw with Romero who was deeply disappointed and angry once he almost got kicked out of our squad with Ole showing him he was no longer necessary.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He needs more love and confidence from the fans. A couple of good saves and 'David De Gea' chants from a full OT should be a good start.

However, we don't just need him to get back to his shot stopping best, but we also need leadership from our GKs (whether its him or Hendo) on set pieces where our recent record is atrocious.
His biggest problem has been coming out to pluck a ball in the air around crowded bodies, But i do feel with Raffa and Harry he can stick to his strength and let those capable two handle the arial duals, and another thing he needs to improve is the sweeper job because with them two playing we'll be pushing high of the pitch in a lot of games, he needs to be concentrated at all time so he can read those sweeping situation to help his CB Pair when they do get caught out.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
actually thought he was sticking to his line even more than usual :lol:
maybe he got a call from maguire/lindelof, but a few times he seemed ready to claim and then retreated.

MadMike

Couple of good saves today. Not much he could do about the goal, it was a belter.

I think with the addition of Varane (who is also excellent in the air) and the new set piece coach, we should hopefully expose him less to his major weakness which is coming to collect long balls.

Keeping fingers crossed that the above will reverse the trend of decline he's been showing the last 3 seasons.

MadMike

actually thought he was sticking to his line even more than usual :lol:
maybe he got a call from maguire/lindelof, but a few times he seemed ready to claim and then retreated.
It's too late in his career to become good at rushing out. Might as well stick to what he does best, which is sticking to his line and making saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.