Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sillwuka

He will solidify himself as a club legend if he's rediscovered his form from a few years ago. I'm hoping for another long stint in goal with him lifting more trophies this time.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Let’s not rewrite the last few seasons when he’s been poor. He’s made individual errors, been poor at coming to get the ball to relieve the pressure on his defenders, been poor at saving penalties, poor at distributing and been quiet in terms of communication

delighted to see him refind his form from before and save a penalty! Let’s hope he can keep it up this season and reclaim his title as best GK in the PL

golden_blunder

Staff
I wouldn't say David's nationality was an issue. It's more to do with Henderson being academy product and English that when David had a slight dip in form, many here were ready to dump him for an inferior player ( atleast at this stage of their career). Also somehow his salary was also brought in discussion despite him being the only player in our team to have earned that contract when it was awarded to him.
In fairness to the posters on this one:

DeGea had a major slump for over 2 years
In that time we had a young keeper go to Sheff Utd and take the place by storm resulting in fans wanting to see him get a chance
Meanwhile DeGeas partner has his baby but in Spain (a head wrecker for anyone!)
With the slump in mind the high salary was brought up by fans because it would be harder to see a keeper on such a wage

so I think the concerns in this case were logical and I didn’t see personal insults

glad to see his early season form is like his good old days

Virror

I was truly disgusted seeing how some fans treated him and I can’t escape the feeling that if he was English he would never be getting the stick he got after years of being our star player, man of the year for countless seasons and the only world class player in that squad. DDG is a club legend, he’s shown great loyalty and passion, never said a bad word even when we fecked up big time with the fax machine and denied him a chance to actually win some trophies in Real when we were in such a bad state. Long may he live, I am chuffed for Dave and Jesse today and really really glad this game ended the way it ended. Don’t disrespect our legend anymore.
Ah yes, not like our English Rooney who never to any stick from fans... He got stick because he was quite poor for a couple of season, not because he is from Spain.

In that time we had a young keeper go to Sheff Utd and take the place by storm resulting in fans wanting to see him get a chance
With the slump in mind the high salary was brought up by fans because it would be harder to see a keeper on such a wage

so I think the concerns in this case were logical and I didn’t see personal insults

The disrepect to De Gea on Redcafe over the last few years has been awful. You're severely down playing it.

Delighted De Gea is playing well and looking confident.

EtH

There has to be some balance. It’s the same with Lingard. I fear some posters are getting carried away after a few games. I’m really happy with Dave’s resurgence, but he cost us huge the past couple seasons before getting dropped. And then the EL penos.

He also hung Varane out to dry against Wolves which is something I don’t think we’ve seen the last of. I just hope he doesn’t cost us again this season. If he slips up at all Henderson should come straight back in.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

In that time we had a young keeper go to Sheff Utd and take the place by storm
resulting in fans wanting to see him get a chance

De Gea had few bad games which was exaggerated due to other issue in our team. Most keepers out there make mistake over the course of the season but top teams rarely rely so heavily on their keepers like we do. So when he wasn't in his usual god like form, our issues became more apparent.

Plus Henderson was good but despite that he wouldn't be an upgrade on De Gea at all despite loss of form. This was ignored for various reason for which one you could argue is nationality and other being academy product. Henderson run in the team showed that his level is good but he isn't an upgrade on De Gea. And with this in form De Gea, there is no way Henderson will make the team.

De Gea partner decision to have baby in Spain is not our business and she has a career of her own. So I guess that's not something we should be bothered about.

De Gea salary was fully deserved. He kept us in the league when we could have easily fallen out of top 10. The quality of squad we had from 2014-18 combined with our managerial issue, we were lucky to be in top 6-7. Players get paid depending on their worth and De Gea was certainly worth every penny we paid him. I don't agree that players should be paid depending on position. As I said earlier, De Gea is probably the only player who deserved the bump in contract that United awarded to him.

Hughes35

He's a confidence player. When he joined Utd he was very passive and made some sloppy errors (you could see the talent though). He then had a couple of fantastic games..... one against Real Madrid springs to mind. The press then gave him a lot of credit, boosted his confidence and he went in to beast mode for a few years.

Playing for Spain dented him. He's never felt confident playing for them and has always been poor. It's taken him until now to recover from the last tournament he played for them IMO. Saving that West Ham penalty may easily be the same turning point as his Madrid game many years ago.

He's still young enough to have several years a the top level for us. Fingers crossed.

spiriticon

Back to being the undisputed No.1 and even saving penalties. Hard work paying off!

Skeezix

He seems very motivated. That penalty save! Turned an impending miserable week into a fine one.

Long time since i jumped so high out the sofa.

golden_blunder

Staff
De Gea had few bad games which was exaggerated due to other issue in our team. Most keepers out there make mistake over the course of the season but top teams rarely rely so heavily on their keepers like we do. So when he wasn't in his usual god like form, our issues became more apparent.

Plus Henderson was good but despite that he wouldn't be an upgrade on De Gea at all despite loss of form. This was ignored for various reason for which one you could argue is nationality and other being academy product. Henderson run in the team showed that his level is good but he isn't an upgrade on De Gea. And with this in form De Gea, there is no way Henderson will make the team.

De Gea partner decision to have baby in Spain is not our business and she has a career of her own. So I guess that's not something we should be bothered about.

De Gea salary was fully deserved. He kept us in the league when we could have easily fallen out of top 10. The quality of squad we had from 2014-18 combined with our managerial issue, we were lucky to be in top 6-7. Players get paid depending on their worth and De Gea was certainly worth every penny we paid him. I don't agree that players should be paid depending on position. As I said earlier, De Gea is probably the only player who deserved the bump in contract that United awarded to him.
Off course it’s not our business but you’d be mad to discount that he’d be missing his family after his baby is born in a different country

I’ll give it to you that he was playing in front of a shaky defence with some clown-like defending at times. It can’t have been easy. But, it was a lot more than a few bad games. He made some awful clangers. Which is unlike him when he’s focused

tomaldinho1

I could be wrong but I don’t think it was on the same level - personal insults etc - as Jones and Lingard
I don’t think it was anywhere near that level. It was all based around essentially him going from incredible to average after the World Cup in 18. I’m not sure if people have short (read selective) memories on here but that’s 2 full seasons of mediocre performances…if he didn’t get criticised I’d be massively worried.

Lingard, Pogba, James have had the worst of it, Jones just gets cheap gags about him now and DDG was basically just being called past it. Also, has he actually been that good so far or are we just reacting to a penalty save (as he never saves them) as some kind of indicator of a return to form?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf he had pretty much cut out the massive howlers last season already. The problem was that his general game looked flat in comparison to his best.

Though even then it was pretty clear he was at least trying to work on some of the weak areas of his game. For example his sweeping (while still nothing amazing) has definitely improved since last summer, after he was reported to have put in extra training in that regard. And then this summer he came back two weeks early to get extra work in too.

Not gonna say he's back to his best after a few games, particularly as bigging him up too early will inevitably prompt more criticism when he makes a mistake this season, as all goalkeepers do. But he deserves credit for working hard, as well as having the mental strength to keep preservering through his second spell of heavy criticism as United #1. Given how many good goalkeepers we've seen fail here it's not easy thing to keep your head up under that kinda scrutiny.

Also, it's not like all his problems were solely down to him. Nobody will benefit from replacing Lindelof with a CB who is better in the air or the addition of a set-piece coach more than De Gea. Basically any time we conceded a set-piece with him on the line he got criticised, even when it was pretty clearly down to (for example) our players repeatedly losing headers at the near post.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Stats like this have to be taken with mountains of salt over such a short run of games but still, if it painted a negative picture we'd definitely be pointing that out too.

LInkash

He wasn't unfairly criticised I don't think, he wasn't just average, he was actually bad, he had one of the worst save percentages in the league.

I didn't think he could turn it around, not sure I've seen anyone's levels drop so much and then get back to where it was before, it's a miracle!

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

Very rational look at what happened to him recently, and as a previous poster said you are being kind to the feedback fans gave of him. 2 years were more important to them than the years of greatness he gave us, and made it sound like his years were over due to pure greed rather than actually taking a minute to think he might be having stuff going on in his personal life.

Siezard

De Gea saved us 2 points. What a great moment to save it. Truly a legend.

Dve

I think it´s fair to say that all those who criticised the decision to keep both Henderson and De Gea at the club has been proven wrong. Henderson has been to De Gea what Telles has been to Shaw.

Dve

Tbf he had pretty much cut out the massive howlers last season already. The problem was that his general game looked flat in comparison to his best.

Though even then it was pretty clear he was at least trying to work on some of the weak areas of his game. For example his sweeping (while still nothing amazing) has definitely improved since last summer, after he was reported to have put in extra training in that regard. And then this summer he came back two weeks early to get extra work in too.

Not gonna say he's back to his best after a few games, particularly as bigging him up too early will inevitably prompt more criticism when he makes a mistake this season, as all goalkeepers do. But he deserves credit for working hard, as well as having the mental strength to keep preservering through his second spell of heavy criticism as United #1. Given how many good goalkeepers we've seen fail here it's not easy thing to keep your head up under that kinda scrutiny.

Also, it's not like all his problems were solely down to him. Nobody will benefit from replacing Lindelof with a CB who is better in the air or the addition of a set-piece coach more than De Gea. Basically any time we conceded a set-piece with him on the line he got criticised, even when it was pretty clearly down to (for example) our players repeatedly losing headers at the near post.
Or it could be down to him cutting his holiday short and is now fitter than ever. Looks like the competition with Henderson made the difference.

Man Utd 0:1 Aston Villa

Sylar

Hasn't done much wrong this season
Eg for this game he passed it straight to their player trying to play out the back and maybe could have blasted it forward but this was at a time that we couldnt keep the ball for more than three passes

His shot stopping is really good this season and he looks more aggressive especially trying to get us on attack

LARulz

His post match quotes were good in saying we have to be winning these matches, and not looking for excuses

Without him we'd have drawn to West Ham and also dropped points against Southampton and Wolves too. He, along with Ronaldo, have been the two decisive players for us

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably our player of the season so far. Hope he keeps up the good form. Given the amount of chances we concede, we’re gonna need him to.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I've been critical of him but he earned us that win today. That was Van Gaal era De Gea there.

Status
Not open for further replies.