Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonaldoVII

For my personal benefit? No, not at all.

For the 3 points and for £375,000 a week? Yes, at least try.

Come out? Narrow the angle? Spread yourself/make yourself bigger? Intimidate the opponent?

Any number of things he could of done that would have been better than just standing there watching it go past him.

I'm not saying the goal was his fault, (was mostly Shaw's fault in my opinion) or that he would have saved it, I'm just saying he could have at least attempted to save it, as that's his job.

I'm also not just basing it on this one incident, as I said in the op, he does this all the time.
Sounds like you need to find the number for our goalkeeping coach and offer them your insight.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Sounds like you need to find the number for our goalkeeping coach and offer them your insight.
Been pointing this out for ten years so don't know why I bother anymore.

We won't compete for the top prizes with De Gea as our goalkeeper because he has zero command or authority of the box, and it constantly costs us goals and possession of the ball, end of story.

I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong about this.

Enjoy the season.

Oranges038

So does that justify just standing there and watch it go past him? (Does this all the time by the way).
Some people on here last week thought Henderson should have saved the goal against West Ham.

For this one the corner is terrible, I don't know what Fred was trying to do and from there 4 players just ran towards the ball and not one of them noticed Townsend.

DDG should be shouting at them that he's coming for sure. From the behind angle it looks like he doesn't even notice Townsend coming himself, when the ball is played over and he turns, his stance is all wrong and he can't react to the shot. It's the stance of a keeper that thinks he's going to get another step before he has to react and then realised he's not and by then he can do fcuk all about it.

On another day he might save it, but the ball shouldn't even get that far for him to have to.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Incidentally, that was his 450th appearance for United.

He's now 20th in our all time appearances list.

The players immediately above him (who he'll likely overtake this season): Ferdinand (455), Buchan (456), Robson (461), Carrick (464), Hughes (467), Best (470), McClair (471) and Keane (480).

The only goalkeeper ahead of him is Alex Stepney, who is currently 89 appearances ahead.

Based on his number of appearances last season it would take just over 2.6 more seasons (including this one) for De Gea to overtake Stepney. Less if he sees off Henderson and plays more.

Last edited:

steve.crowford

5 games from having more appearances than Rio iirc. Only 15 or so off beating Carrick as well.

Absolutely a legend, no doubt about that.

Leicester 4:2 Man Utd

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Imagine playing that well and having to pick the ball out of the net four times. Goodness know what we’d be like with the DDG of last year.

TempusFugit

Would've been at least 6-2 without him. He's earning his money this season, too bad we're still a terrible team.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Not coming for crosses/corners, zero communication and saving with feet when he could use his hands (and rebounding the ball into the danger zone), all causes of chaos in our defence.
Was a major problem today and is every time he plays, in my opinion, making the odd half decent save doesn't compensate for these other major flaws.

To be clear, I am not saying he's the only problem, clearly our midfield and, of course, our manager are other major concerns.
The facts speak for themselves though, when De Gea plays, our defence never ever looks solid and we concede goals and he has to take some responsibility for that.

Last edited:

FerociousCorgis

Not coming for crosses/corners, zero communication and saving with feet when he could use his hands (and rebounding the ball into the danger zone), all causes of chaos in our defence.
Was a major problem today and is every time he plays, in my opinion, making the odd half decent save doesn't compensate for these other major
To be clear, I am not saying he's the only problem, clearly our midfield and, of course, our manager are other major concerns.
The facts speak for themselves though, when De Gea plays, our defence never ever looks solid and has to take some responsibility for that.
Jesus man way to just be incredibly wrong in so many ways

FerociousCorgis

The stats speak for themselves, when Henderson played last year, we conceded less goals and looked more solid defensively.
If you can't see that ddg is playing better right now then Henderson ever has for united not worth my time replying anymore

Godfather

The stats speak for themselves, when Henderson played last year, we conceded less goals and looked more solid defensively.
DDG is on another planet to Henderson when on form. And he is on form right now. Without him we'd have conceded 5 or 6 today

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you can't see that ddg is playing better right now then Henderson ever has for united not worth my time replying anymore
DDG is on another planet to Henderson when on form. And he is on form right now. Without him we'd have conceded 5 or 6 today
My advice: take a look through the poster you're responding to's post history. See if you spot a pattern in his posts. Then decide whether it's worth your while arguing with him about De Gea.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
My advice: take a look through the poster you're responding to's post history. See if you spot a pattern in his posts. Then decide whether it's worth your while arguing with him about De Gea.
You'll also find that the things that I have been pointing out for a long time continue to cost us goals every time De Gea plays.

It's a matter of opinion, you either think that organising the defence, coming out for crosses and commanding your six yard box are important aspects of goal-keeping or you don't.

If you don't, then fair enough, I respect your opinion and best of luck with mid-table mediocrity.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You'll also find that the things that I have been pointing out for a long time continue to cost us goals every time De Gea plays.

It's a matter of opinion, you either think that organising the defence, coming out for crosses and commanding your six yard box are important aspects of goal-keeping or you don't.

If you don't, then fair enough, I respect your opinion and best of luck with mid-table mediocrity.
I would respond but, as I say, I've taken a look through your post history, spotted a pattern and decided whether it's worth my while arguing with you about De Gea.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

Ok how about rewording a question to you: with Henderson behind the sticks, is the result today much better?

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Ok how about rewording a question to you: with Henderson behind the sticks, is the result today much better?
In my opinion, maybe, because I think Henderson is braver, can organise a defence better, command the box, come for crosses and use his hands instead of his feet when need be (to avoid rebounding the ball straight back to an opposing player).
This may well have prevented the 2nd and 4th goals and swung the balance.

I'm not trying to say Henderson is the answer (he's still unproven) because this is just standard goalkeeping that most keepers are capable of, so anyone capable of doing that well is an upgrade in my opinion.

Raven

In my opinion, maybe, because I think Henderson is braver, can organise a defence better, command the box, come for crosses and use his hands instead of his feet when need be (to avoid rebounding the ball straight back to an opposing player).
This may well have prevented the 2nd and 4th goals and swung the balance.

I'm not trying to say Henderson is the answer (he's still unproven) because this is just standard goalkeeping that most keepers are capable of, so anyone capable of doing that well is an upgrade in my opinion.
Oh feck off, Henderson is absolutely nowhere near De Gea.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Poor guy. Looks like we need a bad defence to see the best of DDG. That Tielemans save was out of the world.

Could have come out for the 4th goal though.

Foxbatt

Was a major problem today and is every time he plays, in my opinion, making the odd half decent save doesn't compensate for these other major flaws.

The facts speak for themselves though, when De Gea plays, our defence never ever looks solid and we concede goals and he has to take some responsibility for that.
I did not know that he plays for Celtic?

Oranges038

If he was behind the sticks then no, probably would have been a lot worse.

If he was between the sticks. Who knows.

Last season when Henderson was in goal, Utd won more games and conceded less goals than with De Gea. He plays too deep, doesn't command his box or his defence properly, his passing out is poor, can't/won't come for crosses and he doesn't show as an option for a pass at the back enough.

But, he's made a few good saves and that's all that matters, right?

Eddy_JukeZ

He's become the best shot stopper in the world again(or up there at the very least).

I shudder to think how poor our results would look if he didn't rediscover this form.

RooneyLegend

You've lost your marbles.

EtH

Scenes in here. But no he was not MOTM after shipping four goals. And his constant standing rooted to his spot is an issue though so many seem hell bent on ignoring it.

Red_toad

So a defensive unit is judged on if the keeper plays well? That’s a bizarre concept.
I believe the OP was simply trying to point out that the defensive unit was more organised and gave away fewer chances, not that Henderson is a better shot stopper.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
You've lost your marbles.
Absolutely I have, because I'm genuinely baffled how anyone with any sort of knowledge about football can watch De Gea's style of play and not see how much of a problem this is for our defence.

For example, If a player puts a cross in that's "too close to the goalkeeper" then it's generally considered to be a poor cross, but against us, it causes absolute havoc because De Gea is rooted to the line and leaves it all up to the defenders to win every single header.
When crosses are that close to his goal, he should be the one taking the bull by the horns, being dominant, and coming out and claiming those crosses or even punching them away, most other top goalkeepers do this, it's basic stuff, if you don't then you're giving the other team a much better chance of scoring.

He could be the best shot stopper in the world but it will count for absolutely nothing if he continues to be as bad as he is at these other important aspects of goal-keeping such as coming for crosses, distribution, sweeping, and organising the defence.
It's not even that he's below average at these things, he's absolutely awful at them, he may as well not be there at all when a cross comes in.
The numbers back this up, everyone is raving about how well he's playing right now, yet we're still conceding a lot of goals.

It's the equivalent of calling Wan Bissaka one of the best full backs in the world because he makes a few last ditch tackles in a game or calling Pogba one of the best midfielders in the world because he plays a few excellent passes, totally ignoring the other massive flaws in their game.
Surely, if you want to be considered as one of the best in the world (as De Gea is often) then you need to look at the all-round performance and not just one or two aspects of it.

To clear something else up, before the accusations begin.
I have nothing personal against the lad, he seems like a decent professional with a great attitude and love for the club, I would love nothing more than him to shut me up and start being more commanding but it's pretty clear now, after ten years, that this isn't going to happen.
So long as he is our keeper we will continue to struggle defensively no matter who we sign.

I'm also, not suggesting he is the only problem we have, I just think it's a major concern and it's even more concerning that our coaches don't seem to think this is a problem.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
Could've been 5-2 if it wasn't for the save he tipped on to the post.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Some decent saves tonight but I think people are getting a bit carried away, a lot of the saves were parried away into the danger area, when they could have easily been held onto.
We just got lucky they never fell to a Villarreal player for a tap in, that luck will run out.

Also, I think a lot of keepers would have attempted to cut out the cross for the goal, it was in the 6-yard box, that, in my opinion, should be an area any top level keeper should be dominating, although it's just not going to happen with De Gea.
2nd and 4th goals for Leicester today, as I predicted, these flaws were huge factors in those goals, and will continue to be so long as De Gea is our keeper.

Obviously I'm not saying he was the main reason we lost against Leicester, our outfield players were abysmal and much more to blame.

I'm simply pointing out that his flaws are also a huge factor in our concession of goals, and will continue to be, but it gets overlooked because he makes the odd half-decent save.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I just wanted to reply and saw this. Yeah, you are right

el3mel

He's back to his best alright. He's saving our arses almost every game now. We would have been at much worse place now have the club listened to Caf and made Henderson permanent starter this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.