Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Great for the penalties, even though they were godawful.

But he was poor for the 1st, 3rd and 4th goals, and I'm undecided if he should've done better on the 2nd. It was a good strike tbf.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Still conceded four from xG on target of 2.46. Not the best day, despite the double penalty save.

Interesting to see some of comments post match about passing the ball. Surely he has the self-awareness to realise that this is as much about him as anyone else? I’m wondering if this is a veiled criticism of the coaching staff who are unable to address it, when even he recognises it?

Remember the geese

I’m probably being harsh but Jesus he actually infuriates me with his reluctance to come off the line. There was one point in the second half when Watford floated in a non threatening ball into the 6 yard box and he just stood on his line like a fecking moron. AWB then had to rush an awkward clearance for a corner.
I remember the incident too. Happened around the 80th minute. Pisses me right off how these things happen with him time and time again. Yet when you listen to the majority of fans, he's been great this season because his shot stopping ability hasn't been as terrible as it has been for the last few years (though still miles away from his peak). He will be a casualty of us hiring a progressive manager, unless he can somehow show us something he has never shown before.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm in disbelief at how deep he sits when we have possession of the ball.

There was once in the first half where he barely got to a Lindelof back pass before the opposition striker did, and while the easy thing to do is blame Lindelof for not putting enough on the pass in reality it would have been fine if De Gea was positioned correctly instead of pretty much on his goal-line. And then in the second half we were playing the ball around the halfway line and had to pass it back to the keeper, and De Gea had to rush out all the way from his 6 yard box to get it. Why the hell does he sit so deep when we have the ball? Even being very conservative he should be on the edge of the penalty box in those situations, if not a bit higher.

Basically every other top team (and plenty of lower ones these days) go out of their way to make sure they have keepers who can effectively play as an extra man in possession. Meanwhile De Gea is almost going out of his way to avoid taking on responsibility in those situations.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'm in disbelief at how deep he sits when we have possession of the ball.

There was once in the first half where he barely got to a Lindelof back pass before the opposition striker did, and while the easy thing to do is blame Lindelof for not putting enough on the pass in reality it would have been fine if De Gea was positioned correctly instead of pretty much on his goal-line. And then in the second half we were playing the ball around the halfway line and had to pass it back to the keeper, and De Gea had to rush out all the way from his 6 yard box to get it. Why the hell does he sit so deep when we have the ball? Even being very conservative he should be on the edge of the penalty box in those situations, if not a bit higher.

Basically every other top team (and plenty of lower ones these days) go out of their way to make sure they have keepers who can effectively play as an extra man in possession. Meanwhile De Gea is almost going out of his way to avoid taking on responsibility in those situations.
Goalkeeper should be way closer to the edge of the box than the goal line when his team is maintaining possession. You don't have to be great on the ball, just not a non entity.

It says everything about our club that one of our highest paid players can't get the basics right and has been here for a decade.

Some hollywood saves is enough for some people to convince them DDG is a great keeper.

The man wouldn't be able to collect a cross if the ball had his paycheck in it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His shot stopping stats have been the one and only positive metric of his season so far (well, that and penalty saves!) but reckon that stat took a pounding today. You still fancy him to pull off a few good saves from time to time but he’s regularly letting not very good shots straight through him these days.

izec

He improved on his horror season last year, but is nowhere near at his best. He worked on penalties at least.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His interview basically sacked Ole.
In fairness I think he was trying his best not to point the finger at any specific person, specifically saying that the manager will get criticism but sometimes it's the players who are at fault and have to do better.

It's just hard to describe that sort of performance in a context where everyone knows the manager need to go without it sounding like the manager needs to go.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Also. Watching the Arsenal game. Ramsdale took a painful knock, diving at Jota’s feet after a heavy touch by the striker. That’s goalkeeping 101. At any level, you can expect to get crunched like that every few games you play.

Can anyone remember an incident where De Gea has ever taken a sore one diving at someone’s feet?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He improved on his horror season last year, but is nowhere near at his best. He worked on penalties at least.
Nah, the season before last was a horror season. Last season was a mediocre one. This is a trying-his-best-and-in-fairness-showed-good-mental-strength-to-reclaim-the-#1-spot-under-heavy-criticism-but-really-we-still-need-a-better-goalkeeper season. Though I may need to come up with a catchier description.

MadDogg

Can anyone remember an incident where De Gea has ever taken a sore one diving at someone’s feet?
I'm sure it's happened, but can't think of any off the top of my head. What does stick out is when he pussies out of contact even when he is fairly strong favourite. Hell, he basically knocked us out of the CL last season by doing that against Leipzig.

Siezard

De Gea makes 2 double saves for the penalties. How come the penalty is allowed to be retaken. First Goal should just be disallowed due to VAR and then match continue on goal kick.

MadDogg

De Gea makes 2 double saves for the penalties. How come the penalty is allowed to be retaken. First Goal should just be disallowed due to VAR and then match continue on goal kick.
The commentators I was listening to said that AWB was also inside the penalty box when the penalty was taken. I'm not actually sure what would have happened if it was just the Watford player who had gone too early, but I hope it would have been our freekick.

Oranges038

Negative goal difference, a defence that is all over the place all the time. The whole defence is a shambles and he is the most experienced player back there.

I don't care what anyone says, making the odd save doesn't cover up for the mess he allows to go on in front of him. His lack of command in the box. He's awful on the ball.

He is a massive part of the problem at the back.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Very bad reactions for their 1st and 3rd goal also. Not sure how he ended up trying to save the 1st one with his right foot while being in a position that he was. He does have a knack for defending those low shots with his foot, but that was awkward to say the least.

So, even his shot stopping is far from convincing.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The first goal was appalling. First off, it's a floated cross that I would have collected, never mind a premier league keeper. AWB should have done better but the keeper should be coming out to catch that. Secondly, he actually turned his back on the shot. HE TURNED HIS BACK ON THE SHOT!!! And this is not the first time he has done that. He needs to be braver and throw himself at the ball and take one in the face if need be. He's been good for most of this season, but lately he's starting to become the De Gea of the last couple years again. Hopefully it's just a blip...

devips

All United"s current problems stem from De Gea at the goal, and Maguire at the back. Fix those two positions and we will be set.

Villarreal 0:2 Man Utd

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
BT milking it a bit with the focus on De Gea! Anyone tuning in now would think United were indebted to a goalkeeping masterclass.

Three eye-catching saves and one that felt really big second half, but only 0.44 xGOT denied. We defended well as a unit. De Gea included.

Oranges038

Good game, one really good save.

Still think he sucks the defence too deep. Couple of crosses that he should have but didn't claim, one where Lindelof had a bit of a go at him.

Nick7

Beating a dead horse here, but god he really needs to come off his line. There was one point in the first half the ball was slowly rolling into the box and Lindelof or Maguire was pretty much screaming at his to walk the 5 yards out to pick it up. It slows our game so much having him sat stuck on the goal line

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It really, really helps that DeGea's back in form.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Nice to see he’s back in God mode. Been great this season. Hopefully have a few seasons left in him.

Stadjer

Beating a dead horse here, but god he really needs to come off his line. There was one point in the first half the ball was slowly rolling into the box and Lindelof or Maguire was pretty much screaming at his to walk the 5 yards out to pick it up. It slows our game so much having him sat stuck on the goal line
That ball actually came from a United midfielder and he picked it up in his hands.

Shouldnt it have been a free kick for Villareal?

tenpoless

When the defence is good, he is shit
When he is good, the defence is shit
If we can get both performing at the same time consistently, we'd concede very little I swear

Status
Not open for further replies.