Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I find it interesting yesterday was the game that made people realise or comment on him needing to be finally replaced.

Me, orange and jb7 have mentioned it after games he's been worse for us (but people over looked due to pulling of a save that was due to him). Think we also got a group nickname for this :lol:

This is why I keep saying criticising a weakness (and mentioning how the cons outweigh the pros) doesn't = agenda. That's been thrown around a lot recently in this thread (the biggest defence in his case seemed to be he makes saves others don't etc)

If arsenal win the title , ramsdale is yet another example of a manager coming in and getting a keeper he feels is more suitable to the style of play and thus benefiting
Pep replaced hart (and bravo)
Klopp replaced mignolet (and karius)
Arteta replaced Leno(and Martinez)

Replacing ddg with the right keeper will have huge benefits in lots of aspects
I don’t think it’s just three posters. I’ve also been saying we need a new GK for awhile as I’m sure have been many others. I think initially many wanted to see if he could transform under ETH but it’s obvious any changes will be marginal. Neither of those mangers you mention would be able to fully impose their ideas with their previous keepers.

Its interesting that pundits usually don’t focus on the GKs importance in building up play. I mean I myself feel De Gea is a great, but his time here has run it’s course. I sincerely hope ETH wants to make this change and see us pass out from the back with ease.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Such as?

Maignan £15m. Kobel £15m. Sommer £8m. Bounou £3m. Martinez £20m. Ramsdale £20m. Pope £10m. Rulli £8m. Sa £7m.

I'm not suggesting all those would be my first picks but it's a myth that we'd need to spend £70m replacing De Gea with a goalkeeper that would be a better fit.
Would they be an obvious improvement to DDG when they were bought? Would you be ok if United spend 20m on Gk (where that's Henderson's quality quoted price)?

Now what would be the price of Ramsdale after we know his quality?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Would they be an obvious improvement to DDG when they were bought? Would you be ok if United spend 20m on Gk (where that's Henderson's quality quoted price)?
Was de gea an obvious improvement on VDS when he was signed? Or did we take a punt on a young talented keeper and stick with him through growing pains? I'd be fine spending 20 m on a keeper and giving them a shot and if it doesn't work out trying again the next summer.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Was de gea an obvious improvement on VDS when he was signed? Or did we take a punt on a young talented keeper and stick with him through growing pains? I'd be fine spending 20 m on a keeper and giving them a shot and if it doesn't work out trying again the next summer.
I think DDG was among the most expensive Gk when we bought him.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I think DDG was among the most expensive Gk when we bought him.
He was but he wasn't an obvious improvement and he had a bunch of struggles early. Any new keeper we get should be afforded some level of patience. We saw with Henderson that even performing better across almost all metrics still isn't enough for some fans.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Both near post finishes could have been saved I felt. I wouldn't say they are DDG mistakes but felt they could have been saved. In fact another day I think DDG saves the Firmino shot.
Which near post goals? The only one he probably should save is that 7th goal (Firminho). But it was such a close distance, so I don't know...

It was a freak game, where even a donkey like Nunez could score that kind of goals.

Zetrio2002

Such as?

Maignan £15m. Kobel £15m. Sommer £8m. Bounou £3m. Martinez £20m. Ramsdale £20m. Pope £10m. Rulli £8m. Sa £7m.

I'm not suggesting all those would be my first picks but it's a myth that we'd need to spend £70m replacing De Gea with a goalkeeper that would be a better fit.
There's no way the players are moving at the price you quoted. At a big club like united, their cost will be doubled or even more.

RopersReturn

DDG has been with us for 11yrs now, I’m not exclusively pointing the finger, but is there any correlation between him being our first choice keeper and us not doing particularly well for a decade?
Another issue might be the training program that our goal keeper coach is using? Just a thought.

Pronewbie

Peep
He was but he wasn't an obvious improvement and he had a bunch of struggles early. Any new keeper we get should be afforded some level of patience. We saw with Henderson that even performing better across almost all metrics still isn't enough for some fans.
What he struggled on in his earlier years he still hasn’t fixed, too.

Lyng

Henderson is a grade A cnut. He could be prime Schmeichel and I wouldnt have him anywhere near the club. (He is also no way near good enough but that is a different story)

That having been said we can and should upgrade De Gea in the summer and I do believe there are plenty of young keepers out there that would actually be a upgrade right away.

Oranges038

Yeah, there was that one Salah goal that always gets brought up.... when you point that out.

I'd nearly take Henderson back before splashing any money on a keeper at this stage.

JB7

There's no way the players are moving at the price you quoted. At a big club like united, their cost will be doubled or even more.
Those players literally did move for the quoted prices.

Sylar

Oww.. sorry i was out of context. Yeh, DDG can be improved, although it would take 50-70m to get an obvious upgrade on him.

A new keeper as top of the list won't make us won that 7-0 game. I am curious. But yeah, we all have opinions.

Which goal that you think even the like of Alisson would've prevented??
What do you count as an obvious upgrade? I think its possible to get an obvious upgrade for less.
The interesting part is do we go for an established keeper and that could cost about 50m.
Or do we go for a younger keeper who has potential in all areas and can be improved upon by joining a better team and working on the elements. That would be a 'cheaper' option based on who we go for, but long term could be better.

I don’t think it’s just three posters. I’ve also been saying we need a new GK for awhile as I’m sure have been many others. I think initially many wanted to see if he could transform under ETH but it’s obvious any changes will be marginal. Neither of those mangers you mention would be able to fully impose their ideas with their previous keepers.

Its interesting that pundits usually don’t focus on the GKs importance in building up play. I mean I myself feel De Gea is a great, but his time here has run it’s course. I sincerely hope ETH wants to make this change and see us pass out from the back with ease.
I was surprised by this bit. It was always going to be minimal at best for somebody at age 32. I did think bringing a keeper was more important than a signing like Antony pre-season (and thought we had to go with the Pep route of making the change straight away). Then again, we dont have serious owners.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What do you count as an obvious upgrade? I think its possible to get an obvious upgrade for less.
The interesting part is do we go for an established keeper and that could cost about 50m.
Or do we go for a younger keeper who has potential in all areas and can be improved upon by joining a better team and working on the elements. That would be a 'cheaper' option based on who we go for, but long term could be better.

I was surprised by this bit. It was always going to be minimal at best for somebody at age 32. I did think bringing a keeper was more important than a signing like Antony pre-season (and thought we had to go with the Pep route of making the change straight away). Then again, we dont have serious owners.
I think it was more let’s see how it goes given he was going nowhere last summer. But either way we badly need a keeper that will allow for a better posssesion football.

Sylar

I think it was more let’s see how it goes given he was going nowhere last summer. But either way we badly need a keeper that will allow for a better posssesion football.
Not even possession football. Thats obviously needed, but we need a keeper who can do the traditional top keeper stuff of presence, command, communication.|

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Here's the actual numbers. His tweet is missing the point but the data is showing that you'd expect him to have saved another 2.5 goals basically (which is pretty large for a single match outcome).

hmchan

Here's the actual numbers. His tweet is missing the point but the data is showing that you'd expect him to have saved another 2.5 goals basically (which is pretty large for a single match outcome).
So you think it's due to poor shot-stopping ability, or he just gave up like some other players?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So basically he could have done better but in this case "better" means us losing 3-0, 4-0 or 5-0 rather than 7-0.

Sylar

Tbf we've seen where saves can be defining moments in a game and swing momentum. Ddg had that in previous seasons, and that positive for him would out weigh the things he was weaker at.
Now not so much.

The whole point people have made about him was making saves other keepers couldnt. If he's not doing that we're at a huge disadvantage because what else will he bring?

You also have people claim the price and be careful what you wish for etc
But look at Milan's keeper. Milan didn't spend 50m+ on a keeper. They are a top European club and it's been huge for them.

There are probably goalkeepers out there for a decent price who need that bigger Stage to get to the next level.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's enough for most to just exclaim "player X is shite" and bounce off merrily, but on here you have posters incessantly repeating it and writing essays behind it week and month on end, sometimes years...... Dead

RedMistyDevil

Tbf we've seen where saves can be defining moments in a game and swing momentum. Ddg had that in previous seasons, and that positive for him would out weigh the things he was weaker at.
Now not so much.

The whole point people have made about him was making saves other keepers couldnt. If he's not doing that we're at a huge disadvantage because what else will he bring?

You also have people claim the price and be careful what you wish for etc
But look at Milan's keeper. Milan didn't spend 50m+ on a keeper. They are a top European club and it's been huge for them.

There are probably goalkeepers out there for a decent price who need that bigger Stage to get to the next level.
This is predicated on us having a competent scouting team to identify players who are ready to step up into one of the toughest roles in the world. There is little room for error as United's #1, as the fans and the media will have their pitchforks out. De Gea was 20 when he joined us, and I remember the media's response to any error he made. And this was before social media was the dumpster fire that it is now. Our players dominate the list of players receiving the most abuse on social media (Twitter was studied in this report), which is why we need our scouting team to correctly identify a GK who can step into this role and handle the pressure.

I'm not sure how our behind the scenes revamp has been going; perhaps we have gotten better scouts, or we're on our way to forming a great scouting team, but I wouldn't trust the team who identified AWB as our target out of the numerous RBs scouted to make the right call on this.

As for the transfer fees, there is a United tax. Newcastle got Trippier for about half the price Atletico quoted us, about six months after we made the inquiry. Oh, how I miss the times when we made signings like Vidic and Evra.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No issue with the goal he conceded but his distribution today was beyond abysmal.

Any Spain fans just tuning in to watch Betis were given a reminder of why he was correctly nowhere near their team at the World Cup. They can't play out from the back as they'd like while carrying that sort of liability in goal, nor can we.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Thankfully we kept the ball away from him in the second half. Woeful.

It will be a big step backwards the day a contract renewal gets announced.

DevTheRed

His distribution the last few games in particular has been pretty bad.. shame because it was beginning to look a bit less crap at one point.

I’d replace him in the summer.

-Supreme-

That mistake wasn’t even due to his passing ability but lack of concentration and composure is the real issue.

Gurtej

That mistake wasn’t even due to his passing ability but lack of concentration and composure is the real issue.
No, it’s his passing ability. Nothing to do with concentration, he simply can’t hit the ball 8 out of 10 times.

He should be in same priority category to be replaced like a striker.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That first half was... wow. Probably the worst I've seen him on the ball and that's saying something.

Oranges038

Bounced back in the 2nd half. Played the 1st with zero confidence. Needs to make himself bigger when facing shots / 1-on-1s.
His own players basically just stopped giving him the ball for a large part of the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.