Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

According to this table we should go and buy Fabianski?
Youre making my point for me to Olecurls. He cant say stats / smaths and pick and choose one thing to make a case, but then ignore something else said by the same person.

I like DDG, and hope he does a good job for us until the end of the season. I however dont think hes the best we can do. We should be aiming for best in class, and if not, we should be looking for improvements and to evolve otherwise we will be left behind.
Im not of the opinion that DDG makes saves other keepers cant consistently, or that it outweighs the negatives. I think hes done a good job for us in his tenure and we should thank him for that, but it would be crazy to think we cant improve on him (without spending 80m plus)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
His goal kicks are hotter than the sun on this graphic. Literally no-one else in the PL is instructed to or otherwise keeps it so short and easier to complete:

NLunited

Youre making my point for me to Olecurls. He cant say stats / smaths and pick and choose one thing to make a case, but then ignore something else said by the same person.

I like DDG, and hope he does a good job for us until the end of the season. I however dont think hes the best we can do. We should be aiming for best in class, and if not, we should be looking for improvements and to evolve otherwise we will be left behind.
Im not of the opinion that DDG makes saves other keepers cant consistently, or that it outweighs the negatives. I think hes done a good job for us in his tenure and we should thank him for that, but it would be crazy to think we cant improve on him (without spending 80m plus)
So who should we get? You ain‘t getting a worthy replacement of De Gea for 20 million.

sifi36

So who should we get? You ain‘t getting a worthy replacement of De Gea for 20 million.
Why the arbitrary restriction? We’ll get more than that for Henderson given he’s English. We could sell him for 20m quite easily. Topping that up with another 10-20m gets you anyone attainable (i.e. doesn’t play for a rival) bar Costa, who’d be more again to be fair. Maignan, Samba, Pau Lopez and Raya are all better than De Gea in most if not all aspects. None of them will cost more than 50m, and most would be under 30m.

Ajax bought Geronimo Rulli in January for €8m. He’s average as a shot-stopper (in other words, not much worse than the current version of De Gea who has a mistake in him fairly regularly despite some incredible reflexes at times) but miles better at everything else.

Goalkeepers just aren’t that expensive. If you remove the anomalies of Kepa and Alisson, the next most expensive goalkeeper of all time is Courtois at £35m. Buffon is at 5 on the list and he moved in 2001!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Good game against Betis, which some good saves and improved passing out the back. This game showed exactly why we are resigning De Gea.

This analysis sums it up perfectly, why we will not replace him with someone less good like Raya. Starts at 8:00 in.

Is this movie a joke?

"massive improvement in his passing"
"the more the teams disrespect De Gea, continue to press him and the defense, the more chances will be created and goals scored"
"the old David De Gea probably takes a safe option or boots it long" - well, how about this graphic?

De Gea created many more chances for opposition than for us with his passing recently, while this guy praises him for two passess and calls "massive improvement", not sure how serious that is.

You think this sums him up perfectly?

Sylar

Why the arbitrary restriction? We’ll get more than that for Henderson given he’s English. We could sell him for 20m quite easily. Topping that up with another 10-20m gets you anyone attainable (i.e. doesn’t play for a rival) bar Costa, who’d be more again to be fair. Maignan, Samba, Pau Lopez and Raya are all better than De Gea in most if not all aspects. None of them will cost more than 50m, and most would be under 30m.

Ajax bought Geronimo Rulli in January for €8m. He’s average as a shot-stopper (in other words, not much worse than the current version of De Gea who has a mistake in him fairly regularly despite some incredible reflexes at times) but miles better at everything else.

Goalkeepers just aren’t that expensive. If you remove the anomalies of Kepa and Alisson, the next most expensive goalkeeper of all time is Courtois at £35m. Buffon is at 5 on the list and he moved in 2001!
Good post.

Added to all this, Milan got Maignan for about 15m and he looks fantastic. From what I've seen, huge presence and command.
It doesn't have to be a huge name either.

This idea we can only choose from a limited list all for obscene money is not true.

Oranges038

Good game against Betis, which some good saves and improved passing out the back. This game showed exactly why we are resigning De Gea.

This analysis sums it up perfectly, why we will not replace him with someone less good like Raya. Starts at 8:00 in.

He mentions 2/3 passes. Most keepers are capable of doing this. On the first pass, the pass into Bruno is the pass you eant him to play to beat the press, it's the pass he normally puts into the forwards feet and ends up being a scramble. The Weghorst pass, to me looked like he scuffed it and it wasn't intentionally aimed to him.

And then batters on about how good he is at making saves. We all know his shot stopping isn't all that any more. There's nothing in there to say it's a reason why he shouldn't be replaced.

Talks about his improvement from last season.. talk about from last fecking week when he was shanking them out for throws and giving it away

Don't forget to like and subscribe though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is this movie a joke?

"massive improvement in his passing"
"the more the teams disrespect De Gea, continue to press him and the defense, the more chances will be created and goals scored"
"the old David De Gea probably takes a safe option or boots it long" - well, how about this graphic?

De Gea created many more chances for opposition than for us with his passing recently, while this guy praises him for two passess and calls "massive improvement", not sure how serious that is.

You think this sums him up perfectly?
That graphic is pretty informative.

When people argue that De Gea has improved (which is fair to argue) they need to understand that he's improved within a team that is already set up to ameliorate his weaknesses.

As long as he's in the side the team is restricted in how it can play, because if our use of our goalkeeper was in line with that of the other top sides in the league then De Gea would kill us.

sifi36

Good post.

Added to all this, Milan got Maignan for about 15m and he looks fantastic. From what I've seen, huge presence and command.

This idea we can only choose from a limited list all for obscene money is not true.

Maignan would cost a fair bit to get out of Milan, something like 40-50m, given how good he’s been and Milan are becoming a consistent Champions League side.

Samba at Lens is the next Maignan in my view, good all round keeper, who’s going to be available for less than 20m this summer.

Sylar

Maignan would cost a fair bit to get out of Milan, something like 40-50m, given how good he’s been and Milan are becoming a consistent Champions League side.

Samba at Lens is the next Maignan in my view, good all round keeper, who’s going to be available for less than 20m this summer.
Oh yeah of course. Im not thinking we can get Maignan, but more so, there are options out there which can be the 'next' one and doesnt have to be a break the bank type of deal.

RedMistyDevil

That graphic is pretty informative.

When people argue that De Gea has improved (which is fair to argue) they need to understand that he's improved within a team that is already set up to ameliorate his weaknesses.

As long as he's in the side the team is restricted in how it can play, because if our use of our goalkeeper was in line with that of the other top sides in the league then De Gea would kill us.
Let me just add the relevant analysis done by The Athletic to provide a fuller picture:

In fact, we can look at the most common pass-receiver for each Premier League team, with an interesting quirk among one team in particular. Manchester United’s Lisandro Martinez is the only outfield goal-kick taker on the list, with his passes to goalkeeper David de Gea also being the most common combination in the whole league — linking to his Spanish team-mate on 45 per cent of United’s successful goal-kicks.

Why is this occurring? Put simply, a lack of trust in De Gea with the ball at his feet. United’s first-year manager Erik ten Hag reiterated his concerns about De Gea’s poor passing following their Europa League first leg against Real Betis last week, saying, “From today I can’t ignore it, but I think we have seen many games he did really well.”

As you can see in the passing graphic above, it is often a simple five-yard pass from Martinez to De Gea that starts the sequence within the six-yard box.

Whether it is an intentional tactic for United or not, this action can be advantageous in their build-up — as it allows them to open up passing angles in central areas and prevent the opposition from pressing onto one specific side of the pitch.

It might have been out of necessity, but United’s unpredictability allows them to take the initiative within this first phase of an attack.

Last edited:

RedMistyDevil

Good post.

I agree that we don't have to spend a huge amount or on a huge name. But we're Manchester United and clubs will always try to quote us a higher fee (e.g. Trippier), unless we're hijacking a deal like Malacia's last summer.

I personally don't like to speculate on who we should bring in to replace De Gea only because I cannot gauge how well the incoming player can handle the pressures of being United's #1. I will trust ten Hag to make the correct decision for the team.

Sylar

I agree that we don't have to spend a huge amount or on a huge name. But we're Manchester United and clubs will always try to quote us a higher fee (e.g. Trippier), unless we're hijacking a deal like Malacia's last summer.

I personally don't like to speculate on who we should bring in to replace De Gea only because I cannot gauge how well the incoming player can handle the pressures of being United's #1. I will trust ten Hag to make the correct decision for the team.
That's fair. I do wonder how we rate handling the pressure of being united #1.

VDS came in and was a boss. Howard Carroll and foster couldn't handle it.
Ddg is a weird one. He struggled to handle it and it got to the point he was dropped by Ferguson. But he was clearly more talented than lindegaard.
Post fergie he's had some great moments and seasons but also was culpable in us getting knocked out of cup tournaments with some major howlers. It can be argued he hasn't handled big moments at united well (nor did he handle becoming Spain's number one, again with some big howlers).

He's made some fantastic saves (like the juan Mata free kick, but then again he also conceded three in that game).
He also has the clean sheet record but he's also been here for so long to be able to get that.

Ddg is an enigma in that. But seriously I hope he signs of this season with another cup or two.

RVN1991

Ddg is a weird one. He struggled to handle it and it got to the point he was dropped by Ferguson. But he was clearly more talented than lindegaard.
Post fergie he's had some great moments and seasons but also was culpable in us getting knocked out of cup tournaments with some major howlers. It can be argued he hasn't handled big moments at united well (nor did he handle becoming Spain's number one, again with some big howlers).

He's made some fantastic saves (like the juan Mata free kick, but then again he also conceded three in that game).
He also has the clean sheet record but he's also been here for so long to be able to get that.

Ddg is an enigma in that. But seriously I hope he signs of this season with another cup or two.
You forgot to mention how fantastic he was during our last PL winning season (made PL team of the year) along with having an absolute stormer in both legs against Real Madrid in the CL. Sadly we were beyond pathetic during his prime years.

Sylar

You forgot to mention how fantastic he was during our last PL winning season (made PL team of the year) along with having an absolute stormer in both legs against Real Madrid in the CL. Sadly we were beyond pathetic during his prime years.
Oh for sure, that first leg especially in Madrid was fantastic. I remember him being criticized for saving shots with his feet which was bizarre.

I also remember him being strong with his feet when he first came in, some really good passes, he even did a cruyff turn in his own area to get away from an attacker iirc. It does feel like the managers we had stopped him from continuing at what he was good at which is a shame.

RedMistyDevil

It did take Sir Alex a while to get from Big Pete to VDS, which is why I'm so hesitant to comment on potential replacements.

I do believe that De Gea has proven his mental resilience with us (not so much with Spain). He came here when he was really young (20/21 years old?) and the media never gave him a break by saying "he's still a young keeper and he'll make mistakes". It was Sir Alex who managed his first season really well, and he really stepped up after that and won four POTY with us. The way he played under van Gaal was the way we all wish he still played today. Everything went to hell after his disastrous WC'18 stint with Spain, and it didn't help that we didn't have a manager or a GK coach who could get him back on track much sooner, and his decline in confidence/form/style remained.

I also hold an unpopular opinion in that I felt De Gea came back from facing Henderson's challenge for the #1 spot and the Europa final disaster quite well in the beginning of our 21/22 season. But that didn't sustain in the second half of the season, and that level of performance might be an anomaly and not the norm we can expect from him now, no matter how much I wish it wasn't.

ten Hag has certainly gotten him and the team to produce a number of clean sheets, which clearly shows that ten Hag is a wizard despite his claims otherwise. Whatever the manager decides for the GK position, I'm all for it.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I remember in the first half thinking that Dave was playing higher up the pitch than usual against Betis. He was well outside his 6 yard box I'd notice.

Scottynaldinho

I don't remember any keeper making as many world-class saves as David. It seems like he makes a couple of saves every game that no other keeper in the world is capable of.

Man Utd 3:1 Fulham

PSV

Misplaced a kick or two today as well so we have to look past the fact he's the main reason we go through.

Irwin99

Kept us in the game with that incredible save. I've been critical of his kicking but MOTM for me.

RuudtheRed

He was brilliant today. The save from Willian was remarkable and he was unfortunate to concede from the subsequent corner. Put some respect on DDG’s name.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
What kicks did he misplace? From memory, his passing was 100% today. Played that risky 1-2 with Martinez, which is part of what a ball-playing keeper does. Found his targets on the half-line consistently. Miraculously, even threw one out quickly to Antony. Maybe one clearance went to a Fulham centre-back?

I'm genuinely curious what distribution is expected from a keeper, if today was poor.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
My only complaint is that he needs to patrol his 6 yard box. In the first half they put a ball through the 6 that luckily nobody got onto the end of that De Gea should have been brave and gathered. With that being said, he was my man of the match today. Made some game changing saves...

Status
Not open for further replies.