Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoopersDream

Oh right. My bad. Didn’t realise you were making such a strange point. Why would any goalkeeper ever need to get to a dropping ball before the striker has started their jump?

All that matters is whether they can get clean contact on the ball (a punch, or preferably catch) before the striker gets near it. Which should be a basic skill for any keeper when the ball is dropping straight down like it was here. If he gets fouled afterwards, so be it. The reason De Gea looked bad was because he didn’t get that clean contact on the ball he should have.
Was I making a strange point? I was literally answering someone who said that if he jumped and got the ball earlier the VIlla player would not even have needed to jump himself. It helps actually reading the post/conversation you reply to.

I'm not arguing that de Gea shouldn't have had a better leap with more authority, he could absolutely have done so, the result would still be that he was fouled though.

Last edited:

Oranges038

If you say so. True to form you would say that isn’t shit defending then?
Nah, it's just shite goalkeeping.

Sabitzer did his job well in that period of play, made two important blocks and got up to try and give the keeper space to come for the ball.
Not his fault DDG is too slow to react to come for the ball.

acnumber9

Nah, it's just shite goalkeeping.

Sabitzer did his job well in that period of play, made two important blocks and got up to try and give the keeper space to come for the ball.
Not his fault DDG is too slow to react to come for the ball.
Thank God you don’t play at the back for us.

Irwin99

Alex Stepney Day coming up on Thursday, Dave's 539th appearance. Would be good for him to celebrate with another clean sheet.
My opinion on him has been all over the place this season from defending him to criticizing him when i felt he could have done better, but that truly commands respect. Good on him. There's no doubt for a good five or six years or so he really was an outstanding shot stopper and that he is a legend of this club.

RVN1991

This thread is certainly quiet after that game.
The usual suspects will make noise regardless. There's no agenda though.
I think for many, de Gea is sort of a metaphor for the poor stewardship of the Glazers. He symbolises someone who once represented the best parts about our club and now is seen as a symbol of decay; his game-style is roughly the same as it was when he first came here. He hasn't adapted with the times, just like our club and this ownership hasn't. He is also on absurdly high wages for a keeper (the most in the world) and that is also symbolic of this ownership.

I myself definitely think it is urgent we move on from him.

People shouldn't be looking at clean-sheet stats as the main indicator of goalkeeping success; rather, the modern way of looking at it is how many goals should the keeper have conceded and how many has he actually conceded?
In de Gea's case, in the Premier League this season, he ranks in the 40th percentile for PsXG-GA (Post-shot Expected Goals minus Goals against); this is the stat I'm referring to which gives an indication of a keeper's actual performance vs expected performance with respect to goals saved from shots faced (with expected performance defined as a shot that an 'average' keeper would save). It is an aggregate stat so it represents average performance over a period of time.
As mentioned, he ranks in the 40th percentile for this stat yet a lot of this fanbase still regularly refer to his shot-stopping as elite, generally as a way to defend him. That is not borne out by the stats at all.

And for those that think these stats aren't very useful - those *same stats* are available in his famed 17-18 season and his PsXG-GA was superb there. In other words, these stats give a pretty good representation on aggregate for a keeper's performance over an extended period of time. They show he was fantastic in that season, and has regressed since then.

As for the other areas of his game, once again, these stats also tell a tale. He ranks in the 10th percentile for crosses stopped per 90, and the 21st and 44th percentile for Defensive Actions outside the Pen Area, and Average distance of defensive actions; these are the sweeping metrics.

Here are those same stats for the EPL this season:

https://fbref.com/en/players/7ba6d84e/scout/11566/David-de-Gea-Scouting-Report

And here are his stats from the 17-18 EPL season:

https://fbref.com/en/players/7ba6d84e/scout/1631/David-de-Gea-Scouting-Report

If we do get an elite keeper that is proactive with sweeping, has good box command, good distribution whilst still being decent at shot-stopping, I think the pro-de Gea types will finally understand the difference a modern keeper can bring to us.
Really they should already understand it because we can see how City, Liverpool and Arsenal all improved after bringing in more modern-style keepers.
You could argue Ramsdale is a big part in arsenal blowing the title.
Yes, I can't believe de Gea didn't bring out his trampolin to jump five yards up to catch it before it pretty much fell vertically down. Jokes aside, there's not a scenario here where de Gea could've gotten up to the ball before the Villa player jumped. Unless, of course, de Gea doesn't abide to laws of physics and whatnot. We can say de Gea should have jumped higher and with more authority and all ( which he should), but the way the situation played he was always going to be fouled here.
But but De Gea is a coward! any of the hard men in here would've elbowed the shit out of anybody in the six yard and gotten the ball no matter how high it was. De Gea lacks cojones and is a locker room cancer on top of everything. Get rid now.

hmchan

Yes of course there's also the mental part.
I agree that he's massively afraid of getting hurt.

But then what comes first, is it just a pure mental thing or is he afraid because he is weaker?

You could write an essay about him, with physical and mental attributes, broken hearts and childhood trauma to look for the root of the weakness. But in the end we just care about having a commanding goalkeeper and he has no time left to show he can improve.

Now with all the delayed takeover thing and the lack of a 9 that will take probably like 2/3 of our budget we probably will have to extend DDG so he will have to improve in that area.

So apart from upping his mental tolerance to pain the only other way he can overcome being weaker than your average footballer Joe is improving his technique, something he haven't done in 10 years...
You could write an essay about him, but there's nothing to do with his physique. We've all seen weaker keepers claiming crosses more proactively than him. Even some of the 1.8m keepers in my place are more willing to come off the line than him.

It's wrong to think we have no choice but to extend his contract. We've made this terrible decision a few years back and we're still suffering. Many still haven't realized we've now come to a point where almost every keeper in the top flight is more all-rounded than him. It doesn't cost much to find an upgrade him, especially when you consider his wage demand.

So yea, there is no time left to show he can improve and no one is expecting that. We want to move on from him and that's all. We've had enough seeing Brighton's backup keeper better than our no. 1.

johnnyteutonic

The usual suspects will make noise regardless. There's no agenda though.

You could argue Ramsdale is a big part in arsenal blowing the title.

But but De Gea is a coward! any of the hard men in here would've elbowed the shit out of anybody in the six yard and gotten the ball no matter how high it was. De Gea lacks cojones and is a locker room cancer on top of everything. Get rid now.
I don't really see an agenda present but granted I'm new here.
Villa had one shot on target the whole game. de Gea wasn't really asked to do much but when he was, he didn't go off his line except for one time to claim a cross.
de Gea having an average game which required him to stop one shot isn't really an argument for him, is it?
It wasn't a game that highlighted his deficiencies very much because the defence and Casemiro did their job very well.
No one that I've spoken to who want to move on from him will refuse to acknowledge when he plays well but his limitations are always present.
Some matches his limitations won't be exposed as much and others they will. We've seen this pattern play out for years now.

And your whole take away from all the statistics I've posted about de Gea, which make up 90% of my post is that 'Ramsdale arguably is a big part in Arsenal blowing the title'.
That's really not the point. Arsenal have a keeper that fits their needs well, as part of their youth-oriented approach. He's only 24. I can recall de Gea struggling initially in his first couple of seasons here and you could also argue he may have cost us the title in his first season here but he got better.
Leno had much more high profile blunders than Ramsdale has had thus far, particularly in the season prior to Ramsdale joining.
Ramsdale also was very crucial in them seeing out the match recently against Liverpool.
What I noticed was his really good box command and sweeping qualities, neither of which de Gea possesses.
So really the point is that those three teams mentioned (City, Liverpool and Arsenal) all have keepers that fit their needs and they are all possession-dominant teams.

Zetrio2002

Cristiano was also thin and scrawny but he became strong. So can De Gea.

Don't forget the keeper with the most clean sheets is not Ederson or Ramsdale. It's De Gea!

Idxomer

Don't forget the keeper with the most clean sheets is not Ederson or Ramsdale. It's De Gea!
Do you think De Gea will bulk up at 32?

Oranges038

I don't really see an agenda present but granted I'm new here.
Villa had one shot on target the whole game. de Gea wasn't really asked to do much but when he was, he didn't go off his line except for one time to claim a cross.
de Gea having an average game which required him to stop one shot isn't really an argument for him, is it?
It wasn't a game that highlighted his deficiencies very much because the defence and Casemiro did their job very well.
No one that I've spoken to who want to move on from him will refuse to acknowledge when he plays well but his limitations are always present.
Some matches his limitations won't be exposed as much and others they will. We've seen this pattern play out for years now.

And your whole take away from all the statistics I've posted about de Gea, which make up 90% of my post is that 'Ramsdale arguably is a big part in Arsenal blowing the title'.
That's really not the point. Arsenal have a keeper that fits their needs well, as part of their youth-oriented approach. He's only 24. I can recall de Gea struggling initially in his first couple of seasons here and you could also argue he may have cost us the title in his first season here but he got better.
Leno had much more high profile blunders than Ramsdale has had thus far, particularly in the season prior to Ramsdale joining.
Ramsdale also was very crucial in them seeing out the match recently against Liverpool.
What I noticed was his really good box command and sweeping qualities, neither of which de Gea possesses.
So really the point is that those three teams mentioned (City, Liverpool and Arsenal) all have keepers that fit their needs and they are all possession-dominant teams.
There's no point.

He's a club legend and because he can make some great saves, we should all just ignore that he's on 350k a week and is at best an average PL shot stopper whilst also being distinctly below average in ever other respect.

The idea of finding a keeper that's a better fit for the team needs and style just doesn't register with some people. Because they just can't see beyond the saves, it's almost like they only watch YouTube highlights and never watch any other keepers or teams. Any suggestion that DDG just isn't good enough going forward or isn't worth keeping on anywhere near the money he's on is an agenda.

Based Adnan

Wonder if those that are putting so much emphasis on clean sheets when it comes to GKs rate Joe Hart as one of the best to play in the PL?

RVN1991

There's no point.

He's a club legend and because he can make some great saves, we should all just ignore that he's on 350k a week and is at best an average PL shot stopper whilst also being distinctly below average in ever other respect.

The idea of finding a keeper that's a better fit for the team needs and style just doesn't register with some people. Because they just can't see beyond the saves, it's almost like they only watch YouTube highlights and never watch any other keepers or teams. Any suggestion that DDG just isn't good enough going forward or isn't worth keeping on anywhere near the money he's on is an agenda.
BTW I 100% want him replaced, it's the vitrol towards a club legend by the same losers on here that bothers me, calling him a coward because he doesn't claim high balls? ok. Claiming he doesn't have "cojones" by some bum sitting in his couch on his laptop? laughable. It's the same pathetic individuals every single time he misplaces a pass or stays on his line, borderline stalker behavior with people going back to analyze performances from years past, embarrassing behavior from grown adults.

Oranges038

BTW I 100% want him replaced, it's the vitrol towards a club legend by the same losers on here that bothers me, calling him a coward because he doesn't claim high balls? ok. Claiming he doesn't have "cojones" by some bum sitting in his couch on his laptop? laughable. It's the same pathetic individuals every single time he misplaces a pass or stays on his line, borderline stalker behavior with people going back to analyze performances from years past, embarrassing behavior from grown adults.
Really? So you will be ready to eat crow with the rest of us, yeah?

It's just opinions, it's what the forum is for.

RVN1991

Really? So you will be ready to eat crow with the rest of us, yeah?

It's just opinions, it's what the forum is for.
Don't know why I would have to eat crow, I like the guy and wish it would end better for him but I'm not blind and admit he's fallen off since about 2018 now.

There's opinions and there's being a sad cnut. A lot of people fall into the latter, it's similar to the shite Ole got and sometimes still gets. It's embarrassing as a United fan.

Oranges038

Don't know why I would have to eat crow, I like the guy and wish it would end better for him but I'm not blind and admit he's fallen off since about 2018 now.

There's opinions and there's being a sad cnut. A lot of people fall into the latter, it's similar to the shite Ole got and sometimes still gets. It's embarrassing as a United fan.
Same place that idolized Ronaldo for a decade but will want De Gea replaced for poor kicking in the midst of some fine goalkeeping performances. It's going to be amazing to see everyone eat crow when he does leave though.

RVN1991

I meant more for the people claiming any Tom off the street would be able to replace him but sure, after all this is the same place that routinely went over the top trashing Rooney during his final years at the club while then going on to praise him to high heavens years after he left, but sure.

Red00012

He can be as strong as he wishes but when he’s afraid of getting hurt in a tackle his size won’t matter.

Smores

I meant more for the people claiming any Tom off the street would be able to replace him but sure, after all this is the same place that routinely went over the top trashing Rooney during his final years at the club while then going on to praise him to high heavens years after he left, but sure.
We've had people claim Henderson would drive him out and then it was Dubravka who was apparently a much better keeper. Oddly enough those posts disappeared though, which says a lot about said posters.

croadyman

We've had people claim Henderson would drive him out and then it was Dubravka who was apparently a much better keeper. Oddly enough those posts disappeared though, which says a lot about said posters.
Very true but honestly believe that a Costa/Maignan will hopefully be the person to take over from him. We should be able to get some money for Henderson

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The reason why he doesn't come off his line is because he knows there is a high chance he will come out second best, like we saw recently.

Sylar

Interesting to make this comment and then call people youve never met losers, bums and pathetic.

DDG can be improved up, much like Rooney needed to be improved upon. That doesnt make it offensive. Youre criticising posters rather than posts by going down this route, with nothing to back up what youre saying.

You then went overboard with the whole:
"meant more for the people claiming any Tom off the street would be able to replace him"

Where has this happened? People exaggerate as a way to defend DDG. Its funny you talk about embarrassing behaviour but youre on a forum with people discussing players in a performance thread. I dont understand why you (well not just you, but this is more collective towards this forum) dont just go the route of pointing out his strengths or why keeping him would be beneficial to United. People do get really offended that his weaknesses are pointed out (more so than any other thread). For me, i can appreciate what a player has done for us, but also say I would put club ahead of any player.

Saying that, I want DDG to finish the season strong with as many clean sheets as possible (inc today) and hoisting the FA cup with a winners medal.

led_scholes

What exactly make it a good game? A save from a shot straight to this face? We lost control the last 20 minutes and one of the reasons is that he could not pass it to a teammate.

Not blaming him for the penalty. Even if he went to the correct side, it was unsavable.

arnie_ni

What exactly make it a good game? A save from a shot straight to this face? We lost control the last 20 minutes and one of the reasons is that he could not pass it to a teammate.

Not blaming him for the penalty. Even if he went to the correct side, it was unsavable.
How do we keep blaming ddg for not controlling a game ffs. He hardly touches it. Our midfield couldn't find a pass, when they did it bounced of WW and came straight back to them.

This obsession with blaming a keeper for our lack of ability to pass and keep the ball in midfield is mind boggling.

Andersonson

That save that hit is head is great positioning actually. He had other top saves as well, one shot that went through two players was the highlight for me. His kicking was decent as well.

led_scholes

How do we keep blaming ddg for not controlling a game ffs. He hardly touches it. Our midfield couldn't find a pass, when they did it bounced of WW and came straight back to them.

This obsession with blaming a keeper for our lack of ability to pass and keep the ball in midfield is mind boggling.
Because he could aim for a teammate for once? It was not his fault entirely of course. He made a couple of standard saves. He wasn't bad but definitely not good.

Longshanks

When the GK keeps bypassing midfield everytime he touches the ball because he's scared of playing out through a press. That's why. Went long far to often tonight it's why we lost control of the game it's why it was attack after Brighton attack in the last ten minutes.

He made a couple of good saves tonight sure. But his inability to play out under pressure causes us issues. Issues that were fully on show tonight in the second half.

Sylar

The save through the crowd was good and the way he stood up to mitoma when it hit his face was good.

His kicking is atrocious as expected. De zerbi dropped Sanchez for Steele due to Steele being closer to the way he plays as the gk is the first part of the attack . Having a solid keeper but one that can play out makes a huge difference

Lecland07

The goalkeeper is part of a controlling side, which is why one who is good in possession is so important. Having Ederson and Alison is like having another Lisandro Martinez in the team; it is massively beneficial to have another person who can stretch play and be trusted with his passing.

He should be able to accurately target the wingers or whoever is in space. The lack of that is an issue to the team.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
The save through the crowd was good and the way he stood up to mitoma when it hit his face was good.

His kicking is atrocious as expected. De zerbi dropped Sanchez for Steele due to Steele being closer to the way he plays as the gk is the first part of the attack . Having a solid keeper but one that can play out makes a huge difference
Looks like there are more and more keepers which are able to show us how much in stone age we are with keepers. Zero sweeping or kicking ability, dwells on the ball too, when he should be just quickly playing the ball out, he just lays with the ball killing the counter attack too. Yeah some great saves, but so did Steele and so does every other PL keeper almost every game. We should cream over DDGs reflexes, there are few saves per season here and there which we could debate that he would make and other wouldn't but then him being not proactive enough will cost us in many many more occassions. This should be pure statistical case.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I can't understand why we want to renew. His constant long balls with no result is part of the reason we never control a game and lose possession carelessly. He needs to go

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Much better today. Kicking leaves much to be desired, but that part of his game is never going to change at this point, so not really worth discussing.

Irwin99

Much better today. Kicking leaves much to be desired, but that part of his game is never going to change at this point, so not really worth discussing.
Not sure if it was actually DDG but one of our goal kicks nearly invited a goal in the second half. Could have been Shaw or Lindlelof taking the goal kick but it was so risky and I think Casemiro got us out of jail.

Some good saves and a decent game. As always, never felt confident he'd get anywhere near the penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.