Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

youmeletsfly

Ben Foster would do a better job than him right now, and he's a fecking part Youtuber.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yeah, exactly. Plus he’s so nervous on the ball he never plays it back and forth between him and the centre backs to create angles for him to find a midfielder in space. It’s painful to watch. He’s just so limited on the ball.
Yeah true. The thing is, they’re all making logical choices at this point. De Gea is so nervous that passing it back and forth does pose a real risk of giving away a free goal. Eriksen (or previously Fred) trying that pass with someone at his heels is his best option. Kicking it long doesn’t help at all because absolutely no-one can win the ball in the air.

The thing that lacks any logic is creating a tiny team and expecting De Gea to be able to play an effective role in that.

redcucumber

I kind of think we as fans need to be more vocal on this issue.

We're trying to do too many toxic things at once. Leave the owners aside for the moment and concentrate on letting the club know we're fed up with their incompetence.

I also wonder about the politics at the club? Do we have too many in certain positions who have their own interests in making some of these daft decisions? Everyone needs to be on the same page, but I get the feeling it's chaotic as all hell with folks constantly taking their full monthly allocation of stupid pills daily.
Yep. I think for the most part, people are over blaming the players/manager. I mean, basically all of the players need to leave, but we could replace all of these players and go through another squad regeneration but it wouldn't amount to shit if the people directing it are part of the Glazer model. For ages it felt like the club was fecking cursed and could do no right. I realise now that the problem was obvious all along and has been since 2005. The Glazers don't have a single clue what they are doing.

RedIan

Some very short memories, DDG was absolutely outstanding last season, Motm game after game, been lauded by many on here as a hero and had rammed their moaning back down their throats. He has one bad game and suddenly he has to go.. what a load of nonsense. He is one of a few who has the right attitude and he is an outstanding keeper..

Andersons Dietician

That’s crazy. There was no right pass there, and in large part that’s because De Gea’s passing is so limited that teams can play incredibly aggressive without any risk of cutting through them with a difficult pass, like Ederson, Alisson, etc. do. If he’s skipping out the first man he either plays a floater to the fullback, often imprecisely and always leaving enough time for the opposition to meet them, or he’s kicking it long to nobody. The opposition know that and destroy any options for the short ball.
I don’t disagree that his passing is limited. He’s not confident at all on the ball and you can see that but it’s not helped by the fact no one from the forwards or midfield actually make an offer for the pass. So my opinion even if we had Ederson or Alison we’d find them suffering the same issues in that there isn’t anyone to pass to other than the 2 CB’s, chipped ball out to a fullback, or the one sole runner who occasionally drops in. Problem there after is again none of the forwards or midfielders make options.

Yesterday the structure of that plan was obviously ball was going to Eriksen to drag out that first press. He pops that to Maguire who then hopefully finds that one of the other midfielders/forwards had bothered their arses to drop in to the space created.

We just however as a team are terrible, lazy and lacking in any sort of intensity and this needs to change because Any idea of being a better keeper in with the ball at his feet is doomed to fail when he has no passing options.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Some very short memories, DDG was absolutely outstanding last season, Motm game after game, been lauded by many on here as a hero and had rammed their moaning back down their throats. He has one bad game and suddenly he has to go.. what a load of nonsense. He is one of a few who has the right attitude and he is an outstanding keeper..
His shot-stopping was back to very good levels for half a season. He came completely back to earth and was average (at best) in the second half of the season. The three seasons before that he was terrible. He's started this season terrible. He's literally one of the worst (arguably the worst) keeper in the league at every single aspect of being a goalkeeper other than pure shot-stopping (which in itself has been average for almost the entire last four years). He has directly led to us being knocked out of the CL and other cup competitions multiple times over the last few years because of ridiculous mistakes, as well as being the main reason we didn't even make the CL one season.

How long do we stick with him?

Oranges038

He was absolute gash for the 3 previous seasons, so that might be why a small improvement in one area last year has clouded so many peoples memories. He doesn't talk or organise, he is no good at fielding high balls, can't/won't sweep, is afraid of physical contcat and is not good enough at receiving the ball and passing it out. This idea that making saves is great and means he's great is nonsense it's about 20 seconds of action during a game, he's rubbish at the other 90% of his job.

I've said to people before, go play in goal how he plays. Don't talk or organise, don't claim high balls, don't sweep and don't lòok for passes off your oufield players and when you do get it just punt it aimlessy down the middle or pass it badly to a player under pressure. Mostly just stay their on your line waiting to make saves.

Then come back and say it doesn't create chaos and confusion for your team at the back.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah true. The thing is, they’re all making logical choices at this point. De Gea is so nervous that passing it back and forth does pose a real risk of giving away a free goal. Eriksen (or previously Fred) trying that pass with someone at his heels is his best option. Kicking it long doesn’t help at all because absolutely no-one can win the ball in the air.

The thing that lacks any logic is creating a tiny team and expecting De Gea to be able to play an effective role in that.
It’s so bad watching Allison and Becker ping diagonals into the channels for their (short) forwards to chase down while DDG just lofts floaty passes onto opposition CB heads, straight down the middle. Like watching a different sport.

Last edited:

Bondi77

I wish he would stop with the apologies....we all know he didn't mean to feck up.
Just fecking stop doing it!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How long is left on his contract, since selling any players is impossible?
Next summer with a potential one year option. Although I wouldn't put it past us that we've already triggered it.

JB7

One bad game? Was that the Brighton one or the Brentford one? Or even the Crystal Palace one or the Aston Villa one in pre season?

I’m not even going to bother with the rest of your post because it’s been a) done to death already and b) is just all kinds of levels of stupidity. Statistically the worst goalkeeper in the entire league at chance prevention - be that crosses, be that dealing with balls in behind the defence. He is abysmal.

Longshanks

I don’t disagree that his passing is limited. He’s not confident at all on the ball and you can see that but it’s not helped by the fact no one from the forwards or midfield actually make an offer for the pass. So my opinion even if we had Ederson or Alison we’d find them suffering the same issues in that there isn’t anyone to pass to other than the 2 CB’s, chipped ball out to a fullback, or the one sole runner who occasionally drops in. Problem there after is again none of the forwards or midfielders make options.

Yesterday the structure of that plan was obviously ball was going to Eriksen to drag out that first press. He pops that to Maguire who then hopefully finds that one of the other midfielders/forwards had bothered their arses to drop in to the space created.

We just however as a team are terrible, lazy and lacking in any sort of intensity and this needs to change because Any idea of being a better keeper in with the ball at his feet is doomed to fail when he has no passing options.
Wow, under 9's levels of coaching there. Pass to midfielder, pass back to defender, pass down the line to the winger. Literally what my lads under 9's get coached.

You cant just have one option especially if it is so easy to telegraph, we pay him 375k a week im pretty sure he should be able to make basic decisions when taking goal kicks. Like don't play hospital passes to a player on the edge of your own area who is marked and being pressed.

He is rubbish and not confident with his feet, thats a fact. But the worst thing is his long kicking is also useless because its not very long or accurate. So we can't progress the ball with short passing from the back and we can't rely on him to kick it long with any great success either.

Where do we go from here? If we carry on playing out from the back with de gea involved we will get caught out time and time again. But if we go long if won't go that far and more than likely won't find its target and thats before we even talk about the fact that we don't have anything resembling a target man in our ranks.

Marcelinho87

No, he wasn't outstanding.

When a goalkeeper is peppered with shots all game he is bound to pull of a few saves, which then makes him look good and so it must be the defence at fault. His shot stopping has covered up his faults for far too long.

He's weak in the air, he can't command a box, he can't distribute very well at all... He offers nothing outside of the occasional camera save.

I have said numerous times, put VDS or PS behind Maguire and watch Maguire transform into a totally different defender purely because a commanding goalkeeper sorts out the defenders infront of him, DDG does NOTHING of the sort.

Andersons Dietician

Wow, under 9's levels of coaching there. Pass to midfielder, pass back to defender, pass down the line to the winger. Literally what my lads under 9's get coached.

You cant just have one option especially if it is so easy to telegraph, we pay him 375k a week im pretty sure he should be able to make basic decisions when taking goal kicks. Like don't play hospital passes to a player on the edge of your own area who is marked and being pressed.

He is rubbish and not confident with his feet, thats a fact. But the worst thing is his long kicking is also useless because its not very long or accurate. So we can't progress the ball with short passing from the back and we can't rely on him to kick it long with any great success either.

Where do we go from here? If we carry on playing out from the back with de gea involved we will get caught out time and time again. But if we go long if won't go that far and more than likely won't find its target and thats before we even talk about the fact that we don't have anything resembling a target man in our ranks.
Think you need to take a moment and read what I actually wrote then think about it.

spiriticon

So outstanding that we had one of our worst seasons on record as a team

Yes, he had some good games, but it will never mask his deficiencies which will lose us more points than he earns

I’m confused by this terrible keeper narrative? All keepers make the occasional howler. Yesterday he had a howler but then still managed to pull off some great saves. The pass to Eriksen is the right pass, in the context of build up play and yes he certainly needs to become a lot more confident with his feet and picking passes and moving the ball around but he’s still a solid keeper.
Sweeping ability? Claiming balls from corners and free kicks? Commanding his box? Three of the biggest attributes a modern keeper needs. He lacks in all areas. Not just distribution.

Andersons Dietician

Sweeping ability? Claiming balls from corners and free kicks? Commanding his box? Three of the biggest attributes a modern keeper needs. He lacks in all areas. Not just distribution.
Modern? that was the job description in the 60’s it’s the job description for any goal keeper. I don’t think half the people who say “modern goalkeeper” even know what that means.

Modern? that was the job description in the 60’s it’s the job description for any goal keeper. I don’t think half the people who say “modern goalkeeper” even know what that means.
Modern or not it’s irrelevant. He lacks in all areas mentioned. Don’t dodge the point. He is not a “solid keeper” like you said. He is one of the worst.

Brwned

It’s so bad watching Allison and Becker ping diagonals into the channels for their (short) forwards to chase down while DDG just lofts floaty passes onto opposition CB heads, straight down the middle. Like watching a different sport.
It really is! I can totally see how it’d be hard to shift De Gea without it being a financial disaster, but I’m baffled by the fact we haven’t got a young keeper who’s good with his feet just to see how the team can adapt to that style. Seems like there’s loads of them about!

Longshanks

Think you need to take a moment and read what I actually wrote then think about it.
Sorry I did go off on a tangent a bit there.

My point is that if a team like Brentford put a press on off the goal kick that we are struggling to play around (no great shame there either) than we need to be willing to mix it up at times. But with de gea all that means is punting hopeful unaccurate not very long kicks in the vauge direction of our forwards and then its a scrap in midfield.

GKs who have a good and accurate long kick would go over the top off the press and the defensive line hit it into space for the wingers or forward to run onto. You could even play a double bluff and go into the number 6 for him to the lay it back to GK to go direct.

Allison and Ederson both have accurate and long kicks in there armoury aswell as the ability to take the ball short with confidence and City and Liverpool as a result are able to mix it up, they prefer to play out but they don't religiously do it especially Allison at Liverpool who's long kick over the top of a high press to Salah is a very very effective weapon.

With de gea for us we don't have the option because he dosent have it in his armoury, its dosent matter who you play infornt of him or how well you coach them playing put from the back with de gea is hopeless and going direct with him is nothing more than simply playing safe and hopeing to win 50/50s. Either way the opposition has a massive cha very to get a foot hold in the game.

Longshanks

It really is! I can totally see how it’d be hard to shift De Gea without it being a financial disaster, but I’m baffled by the fact we haven’t got a young keeper who’s good with his feet just to see how the team can adapt to that style. Seems like there’s loads of them about!
There is one playing for Nottingham Forest, I wonder if we can sign him?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Modern or not it’s irrelevant. He lacks in all areas mentioned. Don’t dodge the point. He is not a “solid keeper” like you said. He is one of the worst.
exactly.

Henderson is not a modern keeper but yet he was a more all rounded goalkeeper - this is why some wanted him to be our number 1 over De gea.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The sun was glaring down at him all throughout the 1st half and he was seen constantly coving his eyes, squinting and the guy didnt consider wearing fecking cap ? :lol:

Remember the geese

Outstanding :lol:

Andersons Dietician

He was one of the best keepers in the world and last season one of our best players saving our asses from an even more embarrassing season. I agree on many of the points people Make about his faults. He doesn’t really command his area. Doesn’t come to collect balls with much confidence but how anyone who has watched football for 20+ years think he is one of the worst keepers in the league is beyond me.

Stay man Dave followers have a lot to answer for.

Brwned

There is one playing for Nottingham Forest, I wonder if we can sign him?
Henderson is cockier on the ball but absolutely nowhere near someone like Bazunu in terms of technique, vision, etc. His best quality on the ball is kicking it very far. Whether he’s marginally better than De Gea is neither here nor there, he’s equally incapable of playing that role.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
How many years have we been weak on setpieces and corners? Basically all of them with De Gea.

I fear we're genuinely at the point now where his shot-stopping simply doesn't make up for the other faults he causes in the team. In the end, it's about reducing goals conceded, and I have to believe there is a bigger, stronger, and more commanding keeper we could get who might not make as many outrageous reaction saves, but will reduce the number of goals conceded from corners, not being a 'sweeper keeper' and so forth.

Frank Grimes

You can't underestimate how harmful a keeper like De Gea is to a team.
Fair play to him for fronting up yesterday but he still needs replacing. This has been obvious for years, can't believe the fanbase can't even agree on even this and make it in to some 'agenda' rubbish.

JB7

He was one of the best keepers in the world and last season one of our best players saving our asses from an even more embarrassing season. I agree on many of the points people Make about his faults. He doesn’t really command his area. Doesn’t come to collect balls with much confidence but how anyone who has watched football for 20+ years think he is one of the worst keepers in the league is beyond me.

Stay man Dave followers have a lot to answer for.
So tell me if he’s one of the best goalkeepers in the world how many of the best clubs in the world would want to sign him if he became available. Also, those factors which you have noted are critical parts of being a goalkeeper and always have been, so tell me how you can be a top level goalkeeper without doing those things? Not doing those things create confusion in the defenders in front of him unless the defence is camped on the edge of its own box in an ultra defensive set up, which leads to more chances against. You can go through the list of clubs in the Premier League and if their first choice goalkeepers, over half would considerably improve us and that’s got to be pretty damning for the highest paid goalkeeper in the world.

::sonny::

His mistakes for many years in a row, show that he never learn, and also he is lacking of basic abilities for a professional gk

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
His mistakes for many years in row, show that he never learn, and also he is lacking of basic abilities for a professional gk

I can forgive mistakes, some goalies have a rik in them, and he does from time to time but his good saves outweigh his shockers. However, what I can't forgive is the fact he had all the attributes to be one of the best goalies in the world but he failed to develop his distribution, command of his area, communication with the defence, and ability to come off his line. He essentially regressed since Fergie left with a couple of seasons of good performances between then and now, and only when it looked like he might be dropped.

He should have been booted out a long time ago but here we are, stuck with the best paid Spanish player and best paid Goalkeeper in the entire world...

Kag

He wasn’t. He made some flashy saves amidst a complete collapse and deluded people like you into believing it was enough. It’s difficult to articulate just how much of a fraud he is: a giant obstacle in the way of any kind of progress.

As for his usual PR offensive, he can do one.

Longshanks

Henderson is cockier on the ball but absolutely nowhere near someone like Bazunu in terms of technique, vision, etc. His best quality on the ball is kicking it very far. Whether he’s marginally better than De Gea is neither here nor there, he’s equally incapable of playing that role.
In terms of technical level he's not to dissimilar to de gea, but the confidence and attitude make a huge huge difference, where de gea hides and wants rid quickly Henderson actively shows for the ball and is willing to hold the ball an extra second or two. Also his ability to kick long and accurately of either foot should not underestimated its a massive advantage.

Allison is no marvel on the ball, but he does it with confidence and attitude and has a brilliant long kick on him. He will play himself or his teammates into trouble numerous times this season, but he won't hide or go missing he will keep getting involved with the build up making himself available and keep taking risks because that's what you have to do.

De gea hides from the build up and really dosent want to involved and certainly dosent want to take any risks.

I'm not saying Henderson is some sort of goalkeeping messiha but he has alot more favourable attributes in GK if you want to play a high line high press build from the back possesion system and its much much more suited to the role the de gea, who is as far away from being suited to the role as you can imagine.

CM

In what world? We got beaten by fours and fives more times than I care to remember last season. De Gea is symptomatic of the problems here, not the solution to them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He made lots of saves because there were so many shots on our goal. Any other PL GK would also have made lots of saves. Same reason the GK is often the player of the year for relegated sides, they see lots of action.

Basics like claiming crosses (or not in De Gea's case) don't make highlight reels.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
‘Outstanding’ yet is 4th choice for Spain :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.