Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmm-Qatarian

I don't mean to be an arse but I can't help but feel that De Gea having a season average rating of 4.6 is still too high. If we're rating his performance against Brentford at around a 3 (and frankly I can't fathom why you'd go any higher), that would be implying his performance against Brighton merited a 6/10. Considering in that match he also failed to stop a cross which he probably should've stopped for their first goal and parried a shot straight into danger for their second goal, I'm not really sure where this is coming from?

united for life

Whatever you do, please do not pass the ball to a teammate running towards you. You don’t pass well and they are clumsy anyway.

on a more serious note, I hope he bounces back from his terrible performance last week.

ti vu

I hope that is some guessing. Because it sounds too dumb.

If you (ETH) rate Henderson, then just give him chance to compete here and now this season. Why are you afraid of disruption in a shit team if you need change (in performance, result)?

Try same thing expect different result is what?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf, while I very much doubt Henderson has any interest in coming back to "compete" again, it probably makes sense for that to be the club's public position regardless if they want to get a decent fee for him next summer.

klayton88

Hasn't Henderson been proven to be a leak? He comes across as a proper gobshite. I don't want him anywhere near the club.

JB7

Hasn't Henderson been proven to be a leak? He comes across as a proper gobshite. I don't want him anywhere near the club.
It's suspected due to him being shipped out early but no one actually knows, especially given he gave an interview suggesting he wanted to be out early.
Tbf, while I very much doubt Henderson has any interest in coming back to "compete" again, it probably makes sense for that to be the club's public position regardless if they want to get a decent fee for him next summer.
Absolutely correct, if the club washes their hands of him now it kills any value created by him having another good season. If there is any substance to the tweet, it doesn't exactly make sense anyway because shouldn't be a number one left to compete with.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My guess/hope is we start next season with a new #1 and both De Gea and Henderson at other clubs. Which would be the best outcome for all parties, really.

We get a new #1 who suits our needs, lose De Gea's wages and get money for Henderson. De Gea leaves on a FT for a nice salary at a club whose style of play suits him more, to warm words from United fans having likely made 500+ appearances for the club. And Henderson gets a move to different club where he will be an undisputed #1, having probably increased his stock while on loan.

Win-win-win.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's a huge difference between being rumoured to be a leak, and being proven to be a leak. About 80% of our squad were rumoured to be a leak last season. Henderson was more strongly rumoured than most, but basing anything on social media rumours is obviously a dangerous thing to do.

klayton88

There's a huge difference between being rumoured to be a leak, and being proven to be a leak. About 80% of our squad were rumoured to be a leak last season. Henderson was more strongly rumoured than most, but basing anything on social media rumours is obviously a dangerous thing to do.
It's more the fact he went blabbering to the media as soon as he went out on loan.

RedMistyDevil

My guess/hope is we start next season with a new #1 and both De Gea and Henderson at other clubs. Which would be the best outcome for all parties, really.

We get a new #1 who suits our needs, lose De Gea's wages and get money for Henderson. De Gea leaves on a FT for a nice salary at a club whose style of play suits him more, to warm words from United fans having likely made 500+ appearances for the club. And Henderson gets a move to different club where he will be an undisputed #1, having probably increased his stock while on loan.

Win-win-win.
I'm a huge DDG fan from his time with us pre-WC 2018. And I really enjoy your takes on our GK situation. This is on the money again! We need that win-win-win situation!

JeffFromHK

Since his howler against Ronaldo in WC in 2018 seems we have already conceded many goals shot straight at the middle to him slipping through his hands

1. vs arsenal - 18-19 - weak header straight at him
2. vs barcelona - 18-19 - Messi weak shot straight at him
3. vs Crystal palace - 19-20 - powerful shot straight at him
4. vs Watford - 19-20 - weak bouncing shot stright at him
5. vs Tottenham - 19-20 - powerful shot staight at him
6. vs Chelsea -19-20 - Giroud weak shot straight at him
7. vs chelsea - 19-20 - mason mount weak shot straight at him
8. vs Atlanta 2021-22 - weak shot straight at him
9. vs Man City2021-22 - bernando silva weak bouncing shot straight at hime
10. vs Man City2021-22 - mahrez powerful shot straiight at him

being beaten like this 10 times in the space of 4 years is awful. it only happens when you have a lapse of concentration

MattyLT

I don't care what anyone says, he's the best goalkeeper named David de Gea in the world.

Varane around town

It's going to need addressing very soon.

It's no surprise that DDG is good when United are in a rut. He can sit on his line, stop loads of shots and when he makes an error it's no big deal because we're in a shambles. As soon as expectations get raised you realise that he's a man out of time.

He must be one of the most passive 'keepers in the prem. We need to bring in a viable number deputy and Ten Hag needs to have the balls to make a big call and bin him off if he can't play out from the back.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
When did his decline start? I can't even remember.
17/18 was his last really excellent season. His shot-stopping was superb, mistakes were at a minimum, he won both fans' and player' POTY, he was in the PL team of the year and was the main reason we finished in 2nd place under Mourinho while outperforming our underlying statistics.

From 18/19 on (after the World Cup) the errors spiked and his shot-stopping ranged from erratic to plain average, which meant he could not longer compensate for the weaknesses that were always underlying his game. Last season was the best he's been since 17/18.

justsomebloke

It's going to need addressing very soon.

It's no surprise that DDG is good when United are in a rut. He can sit on his line, stop loads of shots and when he makes an error it's no big deal because we're in a shambles. As soon as expectations get raised you realise that he's a man out of time.

He must be one of the most passive 'keepers in the prem. We need to bring in a viable number deputy and Ten Hag needs to have the balls to make a big call and bin him off if he can't play out from the back.
It is starting to looking like a mistake to put off that particular adjustment. Especially given that we already had an available go-to solution for an alternative in Henderson.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As mentioned it was the 2018 world cup onwards. This is a compilation of mistakes he made with most being in the 18/19 season.

It’s funny how he gets slated for not being a “modern goalkeeper” but he’s accumulating more than enough of the sort of mistakes that saw Fergie get rid of “old-fashioned” keepers plenty of times in the past.

Poor Massimo Taibi was only allowed one of the sort of howler we saw from De Gea with Brentford’s first goal before his career at United was basically over.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
As mentioned it was the 2018 world cup onwards. This is a compilation of mistakes he made with most being in the 18/19 season.

Add this to the fact he doesn't even come off his line.
How is any defense supposed to look good with this guy (post 2019)?

Oranges038

Fecking hell. So many howlers. And that’s shot-stopping. His supposed strength!
I know keepers make mistakes.

Not sure I've seen someone who is supposed to be amongst the best in the world make as many easy handling errors.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
It’s funny how he gets slated for not being a “modern goalkeeper” but he’s accumulating more than enough of the sort of mistakes that saw Fergie get rid of “old-fashioned” keepers plenty of times in the past.

Poor Massimo Taibi was only allowed one of the sort of howler we saw from De Gea with Brentford’s first goal before his career at United was basically over.
That error in the CL against Barca - he would have never played for the club again if Fergie was still here. Cost us Top 4 that year too, with an unbelievable number of howlers in the run-in. Still cannot understand how Romero never got a game during that time.

RedMistyDevil

As much as we think that our pundits talk about SAF and the past too much, I have zero doubts in the way he handled our players/transfers. I remember Rio telling the story of SAF looking to sell Yorke not too long after winning the treble because he didn't feel that Yorke was giving 100% all the time. So, how would SAF's management apply here?

In De Gea's situation, when he started making those mistakes post WC'18, he would've been dropped and rotated with other keepers.
If his poor form continued, then SAF would've gotten a replacement in, probably by 2020 (possibly earlier).

The problem is none of our managers since had the courage to do that, and persisting with a De Gea who cannot recapture his pre-WC form allowed him to continue his downward trajectory, regardless of his good form at the beginning of the 21/22 season.

Full disclosure: I am a De Gea fan, he was massive for us in the seasons post-SAF and pre-WC18. I don't think Deano is the answer. But De Gea needs to be replaced.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
When did his decline start? I can't even remember.
As others have said, it started at the 2018 World Cup. Which was strange as the 17/18 season directly before that was his best ever season, then he just fell apart.

2018 World Cup - Terrible
18/19 - Average for most it, then absolutely diabolical in the last few months of the season.
19/20 - Poor all season
20/21 - Poor all season
21/22 - The first half of the season his shot-stopping looked back to his best (although he still made a few ridiculous mistakes), then he fell away and was poor in the second half again.
22/23 - Looks like a continuation of being poor.

As bad as he's been, what makes it even worse is that he's been more likely to make mistakes in the more important games. A significant amount of the times we've been knocked out of cup competitions over these years have come directly from De Gea feck-ups. Most obviously in the season where we made the three semi-finals. Romero had been in goal to get us to the semi's, then Ole decided to bring De Gea into the team. Can't really blame him for the League Cup semi loss, but he was directly at fault for three of the five goals we conceded in the Europa and FA Cup semi's.

Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool

A-man

Great game! He’s always great in at he’s like this when it’s all about reflex savings like the superb save on Martinez’ “shot”.

Status
Not open for further replies.