Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

City did it with Claudio Bravo for a season when they wanted to get rid of Hart, Liverpool did it with Karius when they wanted to change their style of play, and there's no reason why we can't do the same. Find our next number 2, sign him this summer, give him the season and then go all in for our number 1 next summer.
Yep, people somehow still doubt the value of a keeper with the right profile yet ignore that both Klopp and Pep instantly made a change in that position even if it wasn't the elite keeper they both ended up getting. Bravo was an awful shot stopper but he allowed City to play out of the back levels above what they could do with Hart, so it was worth it for Pep.

led_scholes

OK, so David May has a CL winners medal, therefore he must be currently better then all City's CB's, yeah right
David may was a substitute in a winning team.

Barthez and DDG were the main gks. DDG could have a couple of EL medals more, but because he has choked on 3 campaigns (in a semi final, a final and in a QF) he hasn't. That says alot for his ability.

ROFLUTION

OK, so David May has a CL winners medal, therefore he must be currently better then all City's CB's, yeah right

I suspect Gordon Banks and Lev Yashin might have something to say about the goalkeeper GOAT
No Schmeichel? Or is this just a World Cup GOAT we're considering?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Does “Aerial” mean claiming crosses etc? If so, we’ve done an incredible job to have a keeper on our books who is worse at this than DDG.
Not sure what exactly it includes. Going by FBref Henderson faced more crosses this season (16.17 per game vs 13.84) and was in the 57th percentile in terms of percentage of crosses stopped while De Gea was in the 13th percentile (6.9% vs 2.9% for the actual percentages). It was similar back in 20/21 when they were both playing for us; in fact De Gea was worse being only in the 2nd percentile.

It's not something that is a strength of Henderson but he's certainly better than De Gea.

Going by that DataMB website, De Gea is a higher percentile in aerial duels than Nick Pope (25.7 vs 21.8), so I struggle to put too much importance in it considering Pope's dominance in the air. :lol: The category is 'aerial duels', so maybe it only includes when you're touching an opposition player or otherwise actively duelling with one. :confused:

mufc_sd

I wonder how they define “successful defensive actions per 90”
Defensive actions per 90 for goalkeepers, include actions such as: claims, sweeper actions, successful 1v1s, punches and high claims. It is a way to evaluate the goalkeeper’s involvement and contribution to the team’s defence in general.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Defensive actions per 90 for goalkeepers, include actions such as: claims, sweeper actions, successful 1v1s, punches and high claims. It is a way to evaluate the goalkeeper’s involvement and contribution to the team’s defence in general.
Ok, so will be high for keepers at poor teams. Low for keepers at good teams. Doesn't tell us much about how good the keeper is.

L1nk

Matt Law saying along with Chelsea we are looking at Onana and Maignan

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Ogden writing today that De Gea would prefer a move back to Spain if he left, but no club will have him there...

Just further evidence that "losing" DDG isn't as big of a deal as his supporters think it is. Literally no decent club is interested
Not surprising. Hope this is reflected in the wage packet we ultimately agreed with him (if the reports of a new deal are true).

gajender

Or how expensive he is.

People love to exaggerate. ‘How poor he is’. David de Gea.
He is available on free what do you reckon his wage demands are and what Wages are United offering him .

lex talionis

Or how expensive he is.

People love to exaggerate. ‘How poor he is’. David de Gea.
Exactly, people do indeed love to break out the sledgehammer of clownery when it comes to David De Gea. No club would take him at the wages he appears to be holding out for, whatever it may be, and that is a fair point to beat him with the sledgehammer. But to suggest that no club in Europe would have him under any circumstances is predictably absurd.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What is 2023 De Gea good at? And by good I mean better than Premier League average.
Saving a football when someone kicks it? Perhaps not unlocking defences and playmaking which seems a bugger priority now.

Chairman Steve

Still not officially signed which is odd. I’m guessing he’s still looking around for better gigs. No doubt he’s reluctant to take the paycut and status demotion.

I‘m sure we would like to keep him but only as a backup though, like if the new guy has an awful start or something.

ForeverRed1

It’s time to move on I think, and I love him. It’s just the style we want to play doesn’t suit him, that’s all. He is also very error prone. I feel as a club we’re way too sentimental. Look how other teams just replace keepers when it’s needed.

onana would be amazing for us. We can’t let chelsea have a free run at him.

sifi36

Saving a football when someone kicks it? Perhaps not unlocking defences and playmaking which seems a bugger priority now.
He made the save of the season against Leicester in my view.

That said, I don’t know how your position is defensible when his shot stopping errors on far more straightforward shots are so frequent. He has more errors leading to goals in the last three seasons than anyone not named Loris.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He made the save of the season against Leicester in my view.

That said, I don’t know how your position is defensible when his shot stopping errors on far more straightforward shots are so frequent. He has more errors leading to goals in the last three seasons than anyone not named Loris.
And he’s probably made far more goal preventing saves than any other goalkeeper at a top club too. Although I am aware that the narrative is that if we have another goalkeeper he won’t face shots or something.

Goalkeepers all make errors. A goalkeeper, or even any other player, does not have their level determined by single errors. It’s a general level of performance.

I’m happy to have a better goalkeeper, but the idea that we have a rubbish one is nonsense.

Sylar

And he’s probably made far more goal preventing saves than any other goalkeeper at a top club too. Although I am aware that the narrative is that if we have another goalkeeper he won’t face shots or something.

Goalkeepers all make errors. A goalkeeper, or even any other player, does not have their level determined by single errors. It’s a general level of performance.

I’m happy to have a better goalkeeper, but the idea that we have a rubbish one is nonsense.
I'd be happy for you to prove that otherwise it's a meaningless statement used to defend him, much like making saves other keepers can't, etc.

It's hard to say this when we've seen weak shots from brentford and west ham go in.
Or him being lobbed whilst on the goal line.
Or the ball creeping past him in a cup game when he's holding onto the post.

Are we saying the average keeper does that more often than him?

sifi36

You’re right that every player makes mistakes. Dismissing a higher than average rate of errors on that basis makes no sense.

I don’t think he’s a rubbish shot stopper. He’s capable of incredible saves but that is matched by his numerous errors, especially in higher pressure circumstances. I believe him to be an average one in the round as a result. You believe that he makes no less errors than anyone else and as a result that those amazing saves define him as better than average. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

As an overall goalkeeper though he is rubbish: he’s one of the worst sweepers and cross claimers in the league and it can’t be argued. This is part of keeping the ball out of the net and has been going back to before either of us was born. He’s also mediocre at best on the ball and that is now an important facet of his job description. How can you say he’s better than average when he fails to beat the league standard for the majority what his position entails?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd be happy for you to prove that otherwise it's a meaningless statement used to defend him, much like making saves other keepers can't, etc.

It's hard to say this when we've seen weak shots from brentford and west ham go in.
Or him being lobbed whilst on the goal line.
Or the ball creeping past him in a cup game when he's holding onto the post.

Are we saying the average keeper does that more often than him?
I’m not about to go all Opta - anyone who watches football can probably see that De Gea makes a high number of notable saves, and likely faces situations where he needs to do so more frequently than most keepers at top clubs.

I can list blunders from every keeper, and they are all ridiculous. The point is, it’s what they do when they are not making blunders that define them. For example, Kepa is rarely making blunders, he’s just consistently being average at keeping the ball out of the goal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You’re right that every player makes mistakes. Dismissing a higher than average rate of errors on that basis makes no sense.

I don’t think he’s a rubbish shot stopper. He’s capable of incredible saves but that is matched by his numerous errors, especially in higher pressure circumstances. I believe him to be an average one in the round as a result. You believe that he makes no less errors than anyone else and as a result that those amazing saves define him as better than average. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

As an overall goalkeeper though he is rubbish: he’s one of the worst sweepers and cross claimers in the league and it can’t be argued. This is part of keeping the ball out of the net and has been going back to before either of us was born. He’s also mediocre at best on the ball and that is now an important facet of his job description. How can you say he’s better than average when he fails to beat the league standard for the majority what his position entails?
I suspect it probably could. Majority of goalkeepers in the league is not put on some sort of ‘kick watch’ that De Gea is on, and I’ve seen him display very good distribution very often, but the story is basically ‘how does De Gea kick in comparison to Ederson’ essentially. Nick Pope is no better than De Gea and is unanimously praised as a goalkeeper. There is no obsession with his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.