Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OT1214

He has become a very proactive keeper which probably goes against his strength that is reflex. His passing and distribution has vastly improved. Hope he improves on dealing with crosses. Racking up clean sheets!

Reactions: Cheimoon

Reddevildans

I've noticed he's been much quieter this season in terms of saves. Probably reflects well on the defence. They've been times in the past 6 or 7 seasons where he's constantly been our man of the match. A keeper that gets man of the match on a regular basis never bodes well.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Been really good this season, his willingness to work hard on his deficiency is paying off hugely.

redom

He knows where his options are going to be now when he receives it so it removes some of the uncertainty and allows him to pick those passes quicker if they're on. There's still plenty of times where he goes long when he doesn't feel capable of finding someone but it looks like we're really working on getting the best out of him in that respect, he might not become elite with the ball at his feet but just drilling those situations and giving him clear instructions will go a long way.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He knows where his options are going to be now when he receives it so it removes some of the uncertainty and allows him to pick those passes quicker if they're on. There's still plenty of times where he goes long when he doesn't feel capable of finding someone but it looks like we're really working on getting the best out of him in that respect, he might not become elite with the ball at his feet but just drilling those situations and giving him clear instructions will go a long way.
It's also the players he's passing it out to, as much as the positions those players are in. We just seem a lot more comfortable receiving the ball in defence.

There are so many occasions during matches when Varane, Martinez and Dalot receive the ball and I find myself wondering what would have happened with Wan Bissaka or Maguire in their places.

redom

It's also the players he's passing it out to, as much as the positions those players are in. We just seem a lot more comfortable receiving the ball in defence.

There are so many occasions during matches when Varane, Martinez and Dalot receive the ball and I find myself wondering what would have happened with Wan Bissaka or Maguire in their places.
Yeah, it's probably a combination of many little details and all these things will be getting better as the team starts to really settle into what the manager wants and these actions start to become second nature but of course the ability of the players makes a difference too.

Dve

He has become a very proactive keeper which probably goes against his strength that is reflex. His passing and distribution has vastly improved. Hope he improves on dealing with crosses. Racking up clean sheets!
At least now he dares to try to pass instead of just blindly hoofing it away. As long as he tries, he'll only get better.

arnie_ni

Immediately after that round the corner pass he done to Shaw in the 2nd half a poster in the match thread said "Passing it back to David is like giving the ball directly to the opposition."

RedDevil@84

Having competent CBs in front of him seesm to be helping him and then right coaching. Long may it continue.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Time to talk about his improvement on the ball??

Before he signed, I remember he was hyped partially for his ball playing abilities. OK, aerially he always had issues and those remained. But his passing not progressing was 100% down to coaching, or a lack of it.

criticalanalysis

Passing was really good and long balls hit in the right areas too. Clutch save from Kane (who was offside) that then got us going for Fred's goal.

RedIan

Very noticeable improvement in his distribution and being more pro-active coming out to sweep up.
clearly coached in the right direction. No denying his shotstopping ability but this has improved his overall play.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
His kicking was great tonight. Not sure how it’s improved so much but it helped us maintain momentum nicely throughout the game.

KjaAnd

I've been very critical of him but credit where credit is due. A couple of great saves and improved passing tonight. Still think we need an upgrade at GK, mind.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's really making a huge effort with his distribution and his sweeping.

arnoldS

One can only wonder how good his passing could bei if he woudn't have been told to hoof it away for the last 8 years or so.

If i remember correctly this was supposed to be one of his strenght before his transfer to us. Insane how this part of his game has been ignored by pretty much every coach before Ten Hag.

I don't know if it's too late now but credit where it's due. He has really been improving and he seem to love this club. Hard not to like our Dave.

Reactions: Cheimoon

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Evolving well under Ten Hag. Credit to him.

Let’s not rush out a new contract yet though.

AdNani

Evolving well under Ten Hag. Credit to him.

Let’s not rush out a new contract yet though.
Yeah we need to see this over months. His distribution is rapidly improving. Would still like him to dominate his Box a bit more.

criticalanalysis

It did take him a while to actually go and make the angle narrower for Kane.
Just watched this bit again and whilst he wasn't out the blocks straight away, he did close down the space and make a good block. Probably a bit harsh to say it took him a while. I've criticised him many times for basically standing on his line and making himself small but this time it was a good piece of keeping.

I might as well add that Martinez and Shaw played that line perfectly to get Kane offside there also.

Foxbatt

We were playing out from the back but as soon as we played out, we were caught in possession. So it is on the players who receive the ball too. Now we have players who can receive the ball and not get caught in possession .

CloneMC16

I specifically remember one really good pass he played out to Shaw. Shaw's control was impeccable, because the ball was fizzed into him, but it was not a typical De Gea pass at all. Fair play.

Red_toad

Before he signed, I remember he was hyped partially for his ball playing abilities. OK, aerially he always had issues and those remained. But his passing not progressing was 100% down to coaching, or a lack of it.
His passing went down hill after Chris Woods stopped coaching him in my opinion. Has been poor for a long time and he’s erratic now, not sure if he’ll get the consistency before he’s moved on.

RuudTom83

DDG more than anyone will be loving playing behind those 2 gems.

Makes his life so much easier…

But I think we have all noticed Dave has been a lot more involved in the build-up, even playing the sweeper role at times…

Shows he is picking up some new tricks from the coaches.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

People should rewatch his first few games for us. We are quite selective in our memories when we want to criticise players.

CloneMC16

People should rewatch his first few games for us. We are quite selective in our memories when we want to criticise players.
His first games were 11 years ago. It's not surprising that people don't remember. I honestly don't. The main thing I remember was how passive he was in his box. Ne never came for anything. We conceded so many goals from set pieces and crosses.

If De Gea was a ball player back then, it doesn't make sense as to why he declined in that area so badly. Surely his coaches would have realised he was good in this area and to make use of it?

Irwin99

LVG was very particular about having keepers that could pass the ball and I don't recall him ever criticizing De Gea in this regard but it absolutely has been the case in the last few years of his distribution being poor. The improvement this season has been very noticeable in my opinion.

Maybe it was a training thing in the post LVG era? Maybe the coaching staff under Jose and Ole neglected that aspect of training? Whatever it is I hope he keeps it up.

Olecurls99

People make out that you need crazy ability to be a ball playing keeper. 90% of the time there's very easy option on and the other 10% you are allowed just lump it.

As you pointed out a lot of it comes down to whether people are showing for the ball and their technical ability which has been lacking in our squad.

He'll continue to show that if instructed to do so, he's more than capable of finding his centre halves with the ball. You don't need to be Juninho.
More than able. You don't need to be Juninho. Smug face

Nick7

What on earth was up with his passing yesterday? It was superb!
I didn’t see the second half last night but he has been a good bit better with it this season. I suppose it helps when you play a team that completely ignores the final third. I know Conte is a passive manager, but I couldn’t quite believe the time and space we got at the back in the first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.