Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I thought we where supposed to believe in the manager and give the players a clean slate?
Guess that only applies for English lads?
We shouldn't. Clean Slate FC is the reason we're here in the first place.

Lyng

He did do well against Liverpool I agree. He found it so unusual leaving his penalty area that he actually injured himself and missed the next game. He then came back in and has been directly responsible for 2 of the 3 goals conceded in those games.

Lindelof & Maguire were both at fault for the Melbourne goal, you are correct, and it has been pointed out several times but funnily enough this is the De Gea thread. Maguire was criticised across multiple pages in his thread for liking a fecking Instagram post and funnily enough I didn’t see you in that thread crying about a clean slate only applying to the English players.
Maguire has massive media support. If De Gea was the captain and started liking these kind of posts I would criticize him as well. He didn't though.

My issue isn't with Maguire who, despite being one of our worst last season, deserves a shot under a new manager and has done well in pre season overall.
My issue is the name calling of De Gea and the many posts about Bayli that read like "well he is ok now but he eventually will suck so get rid" or the "Martial can't be trusted for a season".
New manager, get behind the team and see what happens when we play games that matter.

JB7

Maguire has massive media support. If De Gea was the captain and started liking these kind of posts I would criticize him as well. He didn't though.

My issue isn't with Maguire who, despite being one of our worst last season, deserves a shot under a new manager and has done well in pre season overall.
My issue is the name calling of De Gea and the many posts about Bayli that read like "well he is ok now but he eventually will suck so get rid" or the "Martial can't be trusted for a season".
New manager, get behind the team and see what happens when we play games that matter.
Who was name calling? I've seen him described as cowardly, which although not a note I have used in this thread, isn't an unreasonable viewpoint given his unwillingness to actually challenge for the ball and how he turns his back on opponents rather than face them - ala the goal yesterday, Burnley's equaliser or one of Arsenal's goal at OT last season to give three very different examples. We've seen it over a decade almost with Dave, it's not something likely to change, even at his best he was somewhat cowardly with regards to contact with opponents.

Longshanks

The difference is with maguire is we have seen one bad season from him out of three, but last season was such a compete shit show all round that plenty of us are willing to give him a clean slate under a new manager. With de gea we have seen peaks a troughs in his 10 years here, we all know his strengths and weaknesses and ultimately his debilitating limitations, whatever happens no matter how good his form is he will never be the commanding, progressive ball playing sweeper keeper that you need in a top team, especially playing ' Ten Hag Ball'.

Lyng

The difference is with maguire is we have seen one bad season from him out of three, but last season was such a compete shit show all round that plenty of us are willing to give him a clean slate under a new manager. With de gea we have seen peaks a troughs in his 10 years here, we all know his strengths and weaknesses and ultimately his debilitating limitations, whatever happens no matter how good his form is he will never be the commanding, progressive ball playing sweeper keeper that you need in a top team, especially playing ' Ten Hag Ball'.
De Gea has had fantastic seasons for us. The best we have seen from Maguire so far is decent.
So two decent seasons and one absolutely atrocious.

And still I say give him the chance. Our whole team has been so mismanaged for YEARS that, now that we finally have a proper coach, they all need to get a clean slate if Ten Hag says so.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
My memory is very clear, hence the bit that you bolder saying “once he got back in”. Maybe your selective reading didn’t help though.

As an all round goalkeeper De Gea is easily clear of Henderson. This isn’t even a particularly glowing endorsement of De Gea either, Romero (who I loved) was massively flawed and Henderson is a mid table keeper at very best. As evidenced by the England manager not touching him with a 100ft pole.
Apart from shot stopping what else does he do moderately well to even be classed as an all round keeper?
The fact that you think Southgate’s selection choices back up your argument says it all, unless you’re now saying he’s got sound judgement?

Longshanks

De Gea has had fantastic seasons for us. The best we have seen from Maguire so far is decent.
So two decent seasons and one absolutely atrocious.

And still I say give him the chance. Our whole team has been so mismanaged for YEARS that, now that we finally have a proper coach, they all need to get a clean slate if Ten Hag says so.
De geas 'fantastics season's' are a little bit of a myth, and I'm gonna do my best to explain why.

Let's say de gea is employed as a fire officer in a factory for instances, this factory has a very high risk of fires breaking out for whatever reason.

De gea is very good at getting around and putting out the fires when they start, but has no interest or much ability in having a plan to prevent the fires in the first place.

Some months he is so good at getting around and stopping the fires that he does it in record breaking numbers and is awarded employee of the month for his efforts. The alarming number of fires is put down to poor management and/or the employees that were in the vicinity of the fires not doing there jobs properly (despite having no support for fire prevention from the fire officer).

However of course some months he simply can't get around and extinguish all those fires and eventually the whole place burns down. The management are sacked and the employees who were in the vicinity of fires are moved on.

The factory is re built and a new management team with some new employees are put in place however the 'heroic' fire officer remains and despite some more incredible employee of the month award winning months the fires continue to break out and the place burns down again.

Is the fire officer had actually done his job in terms of preventing fires aswell as extinguishing them, then it's unlikely that he would of won employee of the month awards or been regarded as heroic, maybe other than for the odd day here and there. But the factory wouldn't of burnt down.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that the best goalkeepers 90% of the time fly under the radar doing there prevention roles and only occansionsly have to be heroes, where as with de gea all he is capable of being is a hero through lack of prevention.

phelans shorts

Apart from shot stopping what else does he do moderately well to even be classed as an all round keeper?
The fact that you think Southgate’s selection choices back up your argument says it all, unless you’re now saying he’s got sound judgement?
Right, everyone is bringing up that all round and I meant his total output as a goalkeeper is better than Henderson. I misphrased it and am getting bored of reading it, I do agree that De Gea has major flaws.

For what it’s worth on Southgate I do think his judgement is pretty damn good. The results speak for themselves, but that was more a reference to the post I quoted talking about Luis Enrique, who is totally irrelevant.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is he a very good shot stopper even? As in recent times?
Yes. Last season he was statistically one of the very best in the league. Although I think that fell away towards the end of the season.

The season before last his shot stopping was average to poor.

Looking at the last few seasons as a whole, his shot stopping has been nowhere near good enough to compensate for his flaws. That’s a myth which used to get trotted out a lot. Not so much recently.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is he a very good shot stopper even? As in recent times?
Last season yes, he was.

Prior to that though the last really good season he had was 17/18, which was the year we finished second under Mourinho. During the seasons inbetween his shot-stopping was either very ordinary or undermined by repeated mistakes.

devips

Yes. Last season he was statistically one of the very best in the league. Although I think that fell away towards the end of the season.

The season before last his shot stopping was average to poor.

Looking at the last few seasons as a whole, his shot stopping has been nowhere near good enough to compensate for his flaws. That’s a myth which used to get trotted out a lot. Not so much recently.
True. I was hoping he would show signs of improvement under ten Hag in this pre-season. Not only in shot stopping, but also in other aspects.

But unfortunately, De Gea has remained the same De Gea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
True. I was hoping he would show signs of improvement under ten Hag in this pre-season. Not only in shot stopping, but also in other aspects.

But unfortunately, De Gea has remained the same De Gea.
I didn’t watch the Villa game but saw definite signs of him changing his game in the first couple of friendlies. Probably too late to expect any radical changes though.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Man Utd’s Mary Earps reveals David de Gea support in England’s run to Euro 2022 final

Asked if she discussed goalkeeping with the Spaniard, the Manchester United Women No 1 said: “Yeah, me and David speak a little bit.

“He’s messaged me saying congratulations. We message back and forth about results and clean sheets and stuff, so that’s always nice to have his support.

“At Man United, he’s really supportive of the women’s game.”

criticalanalysis

I thought he was quite good with the ball at his feet.

We actually played some nice stuff under pressure and with the high press.

Hopefully he can improve his penalty box command, closing space for 1 vs 1s and crosses.

Longshanks

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that his woeful positioning created the opportunity for felix to smash it past him inside his near post in yesterday's game.

No attempt to save it either, he is so flawed for an allegedly top GK. Its gonna cost us this season.

Man Utd 1:2 Brighton

Atheist

His distribution is really among the worst in the top half of the league. You can’t be a good modern goalkeeper if you’re only good at shot-stopping.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not impressed today, put the ball back into danger for the second goal and his distribution was poor as usual.

Based Adnan

Terrible distribution and rooted to his line as usual when Martinez did the challenge in the box for a potential penalty. Should never get to that stage as any half decent proactive keeper comes out and sweeps but you know it's not happening with Dave.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t care what people think of me but I will always have Henderson over this guy.

The way he he is scared with the ball at his feet is not useful.

-Supreme-

I don’t like the way he shouts at his defenders every time a chance is conseded as if he’s not responsible and part of the defence, his distribution has been awful that has placed the team under huge pressure

Kag

He’s a clown.

Shite for the second goal and was doing his classic fanny act in the build up to Martinez (almost) fouling Welbeck in the box.

Genuinely long for the day we see the back of him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
DeGea today nicely showed the difference between preseason and competitive matches: Very little sweeping from DeGea today. Dodgy distribution. Flatters to deceive.

Mmm-Qatarian

Nobody is mentioning it but it looked as though he could've done more for the first goal to me. The cross looked within range for a keeper to stop and he just kinda...fell over?

I dunno, maybe I'm being harsh, but De Gea failing to deal with crosses is a recurring theme at this stage.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm not De Gea's biggest fan but I thought he was fine today. If I'm going to be picky then perhaps he could have done better with his rebound control on the second goal and push it wider but that's me being fussy.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Nobody is mentioning it but it looked as though he could've done more for the first goal to me. The cross looked within range for a keeper to stop and he just kinda...fell over?

I dunno, maybe I'm being harsh, but De Gea failing to deal with crosses is a recurring theme at this stage.
It's a cut back going away from goal. I'm not De Gea's biggest fan but that would be harsh to blame him on that...

Gaidal

Poor kicking, poor rebound. But noone really mentioned how he should have just picked up the ball that welbeck ran onto where he could/should have had a penalty.

All around really poor game

El Jefe

Next summer we absolutely need to be in the market for a new goalie.

He is poor at passing out from the back, past his peak in general and a liability at claiming crosses.

He can blend in to this current team because there are much worse players but make no mistake about it DDG is a problem too. EtH will not be able to properly implement his style of play with this guy between the sticks.

FerociousCorgis

I'm not De Gea's biggest fan but I thought he was fine today. If I'm going to be picky then perhaps he could have done better with his rebound control on the second goal and push it wider but that's me being fussy.
Yeah I'm not sure why people are so harsh on him today when he was fine. Hardly our biggest issue today. His push was on a hard low shot that was close to being a possible deflection with a player in front. He pushed it literally far other side. Fred was asleep

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His style of play holds the team back.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
An absolute bag of nerves with the ball at his feet. Hopefully just one more season that we have to see of it. Would be madness to extend.

lex talionis

Not at fault for either goal, but could have been better with his distribution. Hardly the problem today though.

izec

He is trash. Not even consistently good on the line, see second goal. That was like a backpass and he lays it perfectly for the Brighton player. What is the point of playing him. The rest of his game is utter dross

Nick7

Think he should have done a lot more for both goals. Too slow to get down on the second, poor on the cross on the first

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He spent all summer talking about how he can play out from the back then plays like that...

No wonder he can't get in the Spain side
He's launching the ball up in last minutes infuriate me to no end. It's so fecking stupid when we have no one at the front and midfield as battering ram.

Said it before, I can see why Henderson was just fuming that this guy always get the chance regardless.

Mmm-Qatarian

Yeah I'm not sure why people are so harsh on him today when he was fine. Hardly our biggest issue today. His push was on a hard low shot that was close to being a possible deflection with a player in front. He pushed it literally far other side. Fred was asleep
I might have been being harsh on him for the first goal, I admit that, but with that said I'm not sure what he did today to merit it being a "fine" performance.

He made one save which you'd expect any professional goalkeeper to make, his distribution was pretty poor throughout and he only really had one even half decent moment of sweeping throughout the game.

I'm not saying our loss was entirely due to De Gea because that would be patently ridiculous but the guy is getting paid 375 grand a week; our expectations should be higher than "Well, he didn't massively screw anything up".

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Two or three of the most dangerous Brighton attacks came directly due to De Gea refusing to come out and clear a ball that he could easily have got to first. His distribution was also terrible.

I won't blame him too much for either goal although even in them he probably could have done better.

Status
Not open for further replies.