Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

I think there will be a 4yr plus an optional 5th being drawn up for big Dave very soon.

Seven Seas Sardines

Nottingham Forest now have three keepers better than De Gea and he makes more than all of them combined. I really hope it's around 80k at most, with more on top based on appearances he believes he'll get.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I don't really feel the criticism of de Gea in this thread. Watched most games this season, and i remember plenty of times he has come up with huge saves this season. I remember one howler, but one mistake is not enough for me to look elsewhere. He is most likely well respected in the dressing room and one of our vets in the team. Is he the best keeper? No, but i don't feel the need to replace him right now with the way he is playing. Would feel a lot worse with the guy gone.

RuudtheRed

Nottingham Forest now have three keepers better than De Gea and he makes more than all of them combined. I really hope it's around 80k at most, with more on top based on appearances he believes he'll get.
At the very least, Dean Henderson is not better than De Gea even now

BorisManUtd

If our budget is to be limited in summer and CM and ST positions are priorities, then it’ll be interesting to see what happens in GK area. Henderson will probably be sold to Forest and then there are some funds to buy a new GK, either new 1st option or 2nd choice behind De Gea.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It swings and roundabouts though and it's the same for all Goalkeepers. Sometimes they will pick up points for doing next to nothing sometimes they will lose points through no real fault of there own.

It's not perfect, But it does generally show when a GK is having a very good season with there shot stopping or when there having a poor season.

With De Gea being apparently the best shot stopper in the league(according to some) you would assume that he would generally comfortably out perform his PSGxG most seasons but the truth is he dosent. He doesn't do that badly either but to make up for his many flaws he really needs to comfortably outperform his PSGxG consistently and he dosent.
I don't think he's the best shot stopper in the league - not since the 2018 world cup - but he's very good. When he concedes it's usually either a pretty good shot, or a total and absolute howler - there aren't many where it's uncertain. The only one of that type from this season is the long range one away to Everton - top corner but near post, he should have got a glove to it, but it wasn't a howler.
I don't watch much from other teams, but from highlights, there seem to be many more of those 50-50/maybe goals conceded by other keepers. Henderson and Meslier especially.

I think he's improved a lot with his feet this season, and it's not surprising given that he was decent when he arrived. Ederson is freakishly, and while a few others are better, I don't think the margin is that wide. In fact all three have cost their team with poor passes this season. Today Ederson messed up multiple times when under pressure - the defender positioning is as important as the keeper's skill.

He's also improved his sweeping. The problem with the stats here is that they only count sweeping outside the box (which has indeed gone up slightly), but he's been more proactive in the box too.

Crosses are and always have been his weakness. He's actually coming out a bit more since the new year, but he'll never be good at it. A successful punch is a positive surprise, the best possible outcome.

I'd said a few years back, that he is bottom priority to replace even if a coach wants a new style, because he was playing behind Young/Smalling/Bailly/Jones/Maguire/Lindelof/AWB. With almost all of those gone, it's different. It now does make sense to get an Allison.

But it needs to be somebody who also knows the basics of being a keeper. It's frightening that Pickford and Meslier have been mentioned. Maybe Raya or Sanchez are good, I haven't seen enough to say.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Checked everyone's beloved metric: PSxG - from yesterday's game.
Palace had 0.6 from their 3 shots on target- the stupid long range one, the fast but central close-range header, and the close-range instinctive finish. So another --0.4 for him.

Just going to repeat what I said about PSxG earlier:
It's a good statistic. Also a 0.5 psxg is in now way an average chance - that is a fantastic chance and saving a 50/50 goalbound shot is a great save generally. The quality of the model plays a big part generally. But psxG can show just how good his historic 17/18 season was, conceding about 12 goals more than what his PSxG would say an average goalkeeper would have. The stats also just point to the reality - that De Gea is now just average in his shot stopping, and well below average in most other aspects of his game. But there's more to goalkeeping. That's what I like John Harrison's model on twitter (Carragher quoted it once on MNF), for example this was his table at Christmas...

His model "looks at every shot faced, cross faced, through ball faced & distribution attempted & calculates the probability of a goal occurring for & against the GK’s team before the event & after the event occurs". De Gea has greatly improved his ball playing, though before it was bottom of the league and now it's merely mid table. But other aspects he has really fallen off. And when he concedes goals in a season like the one where he was holding the post a few weeks ago, or vs Brentford at the start of the season, then yes it is going to show in the stats and drag him down, as it should.

This one below also shows how De Gea performed in every metric last season for example vs the other big 6 keepers:

The best at shot stopping, but at the bottom for sweeping, passing, claiming crosses. You don't need to be a sweeper keeper to be an elite goalkeeper, but the fact that De Gea does make mistakes with his shot stopping these days (more than he used to when he was actually elite), and is pretty horrible at dealing with high balls means that it just limits so much of what he can do for us. You can "system" your way around him not being a sweeper keeper or being average on the ball, but being useless with crosses will forever make you average in the premier league.

Seij

(Source: The Devil's DNA (@TheDevilsDNA) / Twitter)

He probably has more fans here than just about anybody else in the current team. He's been the 1st choice GK here for over a decade and he certainly deserves all the fans and accolades.

With that said, it's time for the club to be done being Sentimentality FC. It's shocking he's still the highest paid GK in the world when he wasn't even considered Spain's 5th choice for the recent GK. He gets paid 250% what Alisson makes. Neuer who is often brought up in the GOAT discussion is on 300k and Bayern has shown their intent to let him go. Take the United tinted sunglasses off.

It's time to graduate from Sentimentality FC. Nobody, absolutely nobody in the world is going to take him anywhere close to his current wages, which means we just need to let his contract expire this summer.

If he's willing to lower his salary to 120k and compete for his spot with an actual 1st choice worthy competition (not Dubravka, Heaton, Grant, Butland, etc.), then the club can consider that.

I noticed that most of the arguments for renewing his contract involve "HE'S NOT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM, LOOK AT MIDFIELD/STRIKER/RIGHT BACK/ETC". I firmly disagree, and I think signing the 1st choice GK should be the 2nd highest priority after a striker this summer. David Raya is refusing to renew his contract and reportedly will be available for 15-20M. That's a steal for a 1st choice GK who is still 27.

Last edited:

Pronewbie

Peep
It's obvious that teams see our lack of aerial ability at the back as a key weakness. I can see the argument that a goalkeeper good at that will go a long way in addressing this exploit.

Trequartistry

Ok - stats that trally matter - only 4 teams in the PL have conceded less goals in the PL than United, 3 of those are in the top 4, 10 of the goals conceded were in 2 games, so all in all I'd say he's doing a fairly good job,
since when has goal's conceded reflected on the goalkeeper? I'm sure you could put almost any premier league keeper in DDG's position and it would be the same because of our good our defense and Casemiro.

Trequartistry

feck off and feck Alison he's a fecking liability I've said it from the beginning yeah he pulled off a few worldies but he's shite and it is showing now.

When we were at our lowest de gea was still saving us points left right and centre that is what top keepers do, look at Alice right now, he may as well be throwing them in his own net
I'm in disbelief at this. This is my favourite thread, really shows the casuals on the app.

With De Gea he could make blunders every other week and that wouldn't annoy me as much as his ability on the ball and how he's afraid to claim crosses. Our defence and Casemiro are so good but he simply doesn't help them at all refusing to show any sort of aggression with crosses and just his technique and how terrible his passing is.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
since when has goal's conceded reflected on the goalkeeper? I'm sure you could put almost any premier league keeper in DDG's position and it would be the same because of our good our defense and Casemiro.
So why do we need to go and buy a new one then?

Last edited:

Trequartistry

I don't really feel the criticism of de Gea in this thread. Watched most games this season, and i remember plenty of times he has come up with huge saves this season. I remember one howler, but one mistake is not enough for me to look elsewhere. He is most likely well respected in the dressing room and one of our vets in the team. Is he the best keeper? No, but i don't feel the need to replace him right now with the way he is playing. Would feel a lot worse with the guy gone.
How do you possibly think a replacement is not needed? Do you not see how much pressure he constantly puts the defenders under with his wayward passing, do you not see him let every cross fly past his nose without any intention of grabbing it? do you not see every time he decides to punch the ball instead of catching it?

And the whole "i remember plenty of times he has come up with huge saves" well what about other goalkeepers? are you one of the guys that think his saves are saves that only David De Gea makes.

So why do we need to go and but a new one then?
Because the finances aren't great. Same reason we haven't brought a striker

fallengt

Just don't give him new contract or anything longer than 2y and more than 150k/w
Our top priority isn't finding new keeper but it's still pretty close. Nvm ball distribution, DDG is a net loss in term of goal prevention. He makes some highlight saves but everything else is just subpar
United need to replace him eventually.

reddevilz007

He only makes huge saves and that’s about his only quality, but his presence and decision making in his 6 yards box are terrible.
If you actually watch the games and analyze the flow/ momentum/ rythmn, his decision making and presence just add stress and fatigue to team, as his teammates can’t get a break. Instead of catching the ball when we are under pressure, he often either punches the ball right back to the opponent giving them a chance to get another attempt on goal or he stands still on his goal line. As a modern and more proactive keeper, he should dominate that 6 yard box and be able to dictate the tempo of the game, either by slowing down the game or by releasing a quick counter attack.
Instead, he is passive and makes the defenders work even more, when they could be catching a break.

Bondi77

When he plays we win games so I am sure Erik is as happy with Big Dave as he is with other members of the first 11.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s been very good this season and a big part of why we are where we are. I’ve thought we needed a new keeper for a few years, with Dave going from one of the best I’ve seen to worse than a stand in keeper on a Sunday morning at times, but if he keeps at this level he really isn’t a priority

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Issue here is not to love him or hate him, it's more about the team, and knowing if the player is an asset to the team or not.

De Gea improved since last season, and is ok for the team now.

Does we need to improve the team ? YES

Does we need a better GK ? YES

Do we have 100M+ to invest in this area ? NO

I am pretty sure that the GK position comes to 3rd or 4th in terms of priority this summer behind a striker and a new midfilder (and maybe another defender ?)

Anyone who saw Henderson playing can't tell that he' better than De Gea and would make the team better. No way, we need, if we replace him, an instant upgrade.

Also, and probably one of the hottest point is his salary. Can we afford to have him on the bench, even if he reduces it and is around 200k/w ? It s part of the equation too.

Oranges038

He's been getting lots of practice tbf. I'd say that helps his psxg
Seeing a you mentioned psxg.

He's faced 12 more shots than DDG and conceded 2 more goals. Has a higher save % and his psxg is +7. DDG is on -2.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Are you including Wayne Hennessey in this? Henderson and Navas I can see the argument for (not that I agree with it) but Hennessey!?

arthurka

He just does my head in. Claim one fecking ball, never does he take the pressure off. We totally fecked up not selling him to Real to get Navas plus cash for him. That fax machine has a lot to answer for.

Longshanks

Issue here is not to love him or hate him, it's more about the team, and knowing if the player is an asset to the team or not.

De Gea improved since last season, and is ok for the team now.

Does we need to improve the team ? YES

Does we need a better GK ? YES

Do we have 100M+ to invest in this area ? NO

I am pretty sure that the GK position comes to 3rd or 4th in terms of priority this summer behind a striker and a new midfilder (and maybe another defender ?)

Anyone who saw Henderson playing can't tell that he' better than De Gea and would make the team better. No way, we need, if we replace him, an instant upgrade.

Also, and probably one of the hottest point is his salary. Can we afford to have him on the bench, even if he reduces it and is around 200k/w ? It s part of the equation too.
I'm not advocating for us to replace De Gea with Henderson, we can do better. But Henderson did make the team better when he played. Of that there is no doubt. We scored more and conceded less with him in nets and the defence at the time just looked far more settled.

So if a fairly average GK can make the team better because he does alot more than just stand on his line waiting for shots, imagine what a really good proactive ball playing GK could do.

It dosent come third or fourth it's probably second behind a CF. We need a new GK before another midfielder or another Defender.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The best at shot stopping, but at the bottom for sweeping, passing, claiming crosses. You don't need to be a sweeper keeper to be an elite goalkeeper, but the fact that De Gea does make mistakes with his shot stopping these days (more than he used to when he was actually elite), and is pretty horrible at dealing with high balls means that it just limits so much of what he can do for us. You can "system" your way around him not being a sweeper keeper or being average on the ball, but being useless with crosses will forever make you average in the premier league.
To be fair, this season is one of the first in a long long time where he's had a competant team and defence in front of him, and the defence is still not mega solid throughout big periods of games and on set pieces, although getting there. That makes a huge a difference to how keepers look and perform, although he has had some seasons where he's been great while the rest of the team was pretty crap.

Lyng

I'm not advocating for us to replace De Gea with Henderson, we can do better. But Henderson did make the team better when he played. Of that there is no doubt. We scored more and conceded less with him in nets and the defence at the time just looked far more settled.

So if a fairly average GK can make the team better because he does alot more than just stand on his line waiting for shots, imagine what a really good proactive ball playing GK could do.

It dosent come third or fourth it's probably second behind a CF. We need a new GK before another midfielder or another Defender.
Henderson is a cnut. Might as well ask Ronaldo back

Lyng

I'm guessing you missed that part of @Longshanks post that said "I'm not advocating for us to replace De Gea with Henderson, we can do better".
No I did read it. But any chance for me to get out just how much I despise the fecker I will take it.

(I do think we need to upgrade on Dave in the summer though)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
How do you possibly think a replacement is not needed? Do you not see how much pressure he constantly puts the defenders under with his wayward passing, do you not see him let every cross fly past his nose without any intention of grabbing it? do you not see every time he decides to punch the ball instead of catching it?

And the whole "i remember plenty of times he has come up with huge saves" well what about other goalkeepers? are you one of the guys that think his saves are saves that only David De Gea makes.

Because the finances aren't great. Same reason we haven't brought a striker
You've just said that almost any PL keeper would do because of our defence and Casemiro, if that's the case why does he need replacing - there's no logic there

JB7

No I did read it. But any chance for me to get out just how much I despise the fecker I will take it.

(I do think we need to upgrade on Dave in the summer though)
:lol: :lol: fair enough

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be fair, this season is one of the first in a long long time where he's had a competant team and defence in front of him, and the defence is still not mega solid throughout big periods of games and on set pieces, although getting there. That makes a huge a difference to how keepers look and perform, although he has had some seasons where he's been great while the rest of the team was pretty crap.
I'm not fully convinced that this is unrelated though. He's always been at his best when he is peppered with shots so he can show off his reflexes. Not the same reflexes anymore, but when he wasn't, he'd have to deal with more infrequent shots and crosses which always led to far more inconsistency. He's just been past his peak since 2018, 5 years now. In terms of actual performances he's just nowhere near a top goalkeeper, he isn't even a top half goalkeeper anymore.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What argument? The one about whether or not a keeper who can do more than pull of the odd wonder save is better than one who does that but is gash at everything else?

Allison is doing everything peak DDG was doing and more, he's a better all round keeper, way better at everything.
They're sitting in 10th! :lol:

devil99

Seems Manuel Neuer will be available in the summer. Any takers for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.