Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Two top saves, personally I'd question his initial positioning on both. Better positioned and he doesn't need the big relfex saves.

Kicking as usual was poor.

Can't complain otherwise.
Well, that's probably enough. Complaining, I mean.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Two good saves, couple of punches that should of been catches and distinctly average distribution.
his 2 world class saves outweighted his poor distributions/reluctance of coming out in crosses tonight
It wasn't very progressive he put us under pressure with his hit and hope distribution at times today.

2 good saves but they were poor finishes better players put them away comfortably. And we would be looking at why we come under so much pressure and couldn't build or sustain attacks and some of that was because De Gea's distribution was pretty poor.
Any other keeper and it could be also be argued that our first phase play would be of a higher quality and the keeper would contribute when it comes to baiting the press, which would lead to resisting the press, and the build up resulting in the play being of a high standard.
His passing was good today? Almost every time he kicked long, we lost the ball. His passing is the least favorite part of his game for me, but yeah a top shot stopper.
1st row is DDG's stats from this game, and then Ederson's season stats. Ederson is the best keeper with the ball in the world.

Short pass attemptShort successfulShort %Medium attemptMedium successfulMedium %Long attemptLong successfulLong %

With one exception, all the frequent posters in this thread are purely agenda-driven and their posts are a waste of space :)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
1st row is DDG's stats from this game, and then Ederson's season stats. Ederson is the best keeper with the ball in the world.

Short pass attemptShort successfulShort %Medium attemptMedium successfulMedium %Long attemptLong successfulLong %

With one exception, all the frequent posters in this thread are purely agenda-driven and their posts are a waste of space :)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Total deflection, well done.

Btw Ramsdale, Ederson, and Sanchez are also negative on psxg, what an awesome stat :lol:
You're the one who brought the stats up. We can talk about his distribution from the game yesterday where he gave the ball away every time he kicked it long in the first half. In the second half Martinez was pushed further back to help the build up.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
You're the one who brought the stats up. We can talk about his distribution from the game yesterday where he gave the ball away every time he kicked it long in the first half. In the second half Martinez was pushed further back to help the build up.
His passing percentage yesterday, which is what you and others were criticising, is identical to 31st century wunderkind Ederson.

There is literally nothing he will do that will satisfy you and a few other frequent posters here. The criticism is lazy, repetitive, and doesn't need to have anything to do with the match that it is supposedly a comment on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His passing percentage yesterday, which is what you and others were criticising, is identical to 31st century wunderkind Ederson.

There is literally nothing he will do that will satisfy you and a few other frequent posters here. The criticism is lazy, repetitive, and doesn't need to have anything to do with the match that it is supposedly a comment on.
I didn't criticise his pass percentage but rather his inability on the ball. I just watched the first half again, and he gave the ball away every time he passed it long. Ten Hag made changes in the second half and Martinez dropped right next to him to aid the build up.

I can't remember bringing Ederson up but he's clearly better than De Gea on the ball. Ederson is a keeper who Guardiola utilises to bait/resist the opponent's press. He's also used to break the opponent's man oriented press against Brighton where City kept passing back to Ederson who was baiting the first line before passing long behind the last line which eventually broke the game. That concept is alien to us.

Longshanks

What those stats don't show you is the quality of long balls though. Ederson hits it flat, fast and very long. De Gea hits it slow, floaty and barely gets passed the half way line.

It makes a massive difference when the long balls are accurate into the last third, genuine pick outs not just pumps into midfield hoping for the best.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Two top saves, personally I'd question his initial positioning on both. Better positioned and he doesn't need the big relfex saves.

His positioning on the first is literally perfect.

For the second, I'm not sure where else he's meant to be?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

That doesn't make any sense, at least for this game.

NoPace

That doesn't make any sense, at least for this game.
The 2nd save was a PG-13 version of Gordon Banks vs Pele.

Classic De Gea game. Contributed to our worst period of the game where we lacked control and also made 2 great saves during that period. I don't see him here long term, but I will not be surprised if he leaves this summer OR if we sign him to say a 2+1 deal if he'll take it, with the idea being that he can always be sold now that his wages are normal again.

arnie_ni

Classic De Gea game. Contributed to our worst period of the game where we lacked control and also made 2 great saves during that period.
Howd he contribute to it? Their first chance, when we were in total control, came from Fred losing the ball in midfield and de gea made the 1 v 1 save.

Everything else started on garnachos side and he was hooked at half time.

How are we blaming our keeper for this?

roonster09

Scout
Howd he contribute to it? Their first chance, when we were in total control, came from Fred losing the ball in midfield and de gea made the 1 v 1 save.

Yeah, I don't know how or why De Gea is getting criticism for lack of control. We controlled the game pretty well at the start and then some comical errors in the middle third gave them good opportunities to counter attack. There is nothing De Gea could do, unless he has superman powers to fly and slap Fred's head to focus and not give the ball away and then return to goal within a second.

Lyng

Yeah, I don't know how or why De Gea is getting blamed for lack of control. We controlled the game pretty well at the start and then some comical errors in the middle third gave them good opportunities to counter attack. There is nothing De Gea could do, unless he has superman powers to fly and slap Fred's head to focus and not give the ball away and then return to goal within a second.
Agree completely. Speaking of superman powers, that save on the header was borderline superman

roonster09

Scout
Agree completely. Speaking of superman powers, that save on the header was borderline superman
I thought that was a goal and even after save I thought he saved it after the ball crossed the line. Unreal save.

Oranges038

His positioning on the first is literally perfect.

For the second, I'm not sure where else he's meant to be?
They are great saves. But if you really look at it.

On the first. He started high and dropped all the way into his 6 then came forward again. If he didn't drop so much he come forward and can close it down and make a block just like Ward did to Weghorst in the second.

On the second one, he's too far beyond the near post when the cross comes in. Better positioned and he can either just claim the cross and or the back post save becomes an easy collection. It's a fantastic save, but he's made it harder for himself than it needs to be with his positioning.

But lets just continue to pretend he's the only keeper in the world who could deal with both those situations. He's probably the only one that makes them as difficult as that to deal with.

NoPace

He just doesn't calm us down on the ball the way Lisandro, Shaw, Malacia and even at times Lindelof does for us on the ball in defensive positions, which Ten Hag definitely cares a ton about since he played Timber and Lisandro together as a pair even against Haaland.

So when we're in wild periods where we're drunkenly trading punches like the first half against Leicester, it's added chaos.

I like De Gea, he makes an amount of miracle saves, but he's definitely a player Ten Hag inherited rather than the guy he would have signed. Same for Fred. They're both quality pros and my guess is they're here for 1-2 more years each.

Raw

He's 23 clean sheets away from having the record number of clean sheets in PL history for a single club. Can he do it?

At the current rate he'll get about 5-6 more clean sheets this season, leaving 17-18 more. He'll probably need another 2 seasons for it IMO, and who knows if he stays that long.

Last edited:
Here it is again, De Gea being made to sound like the only goalkeeper who can make the saves he makes.
He is not the only keeper who can make these saves, but the two we are linked with regularly, Sanchez and Raya don't make those saves, Sanchez in particular is a terrible shot stopper. If the Quataris buy us and sign Allison from Liverpool, brilliant, but I don't think that's very likely. Swapping DeGea for Sanchez, Raya or god help us Dean Henderson is a very dumb idea.

JB7

I was happy enough with him yesterday, thought it was a good game that showed some of the improvements he has made this season.

I will first say that @Oranges038 is correct in terms of his initial positioning being poor for both of his first half saves; he drops too far for the Barnes clean through chance and he is beyond his front post for the cross for Iheanacho header. By extension he's correct in saying that De Gea makes more difficult stops than other goalkeepers would, particularly the second one, but ultimately he does stop them which is the critical part.

However, last season he would have held his position once Barnes went clean through, we saw it a number of times, however here he took two or three quick steps forward and made Barnes take the shot early leading to him making the save. Much more aggressive goalkeeping and a huge improvement IMO. The header is a brilliant save but yeah, the reality of that one is that if he's not way too far forward in the first instance, it's a much easier stop, but credit where it's due, he makes the stop and in fairness to him it's the type of save he loves making.

I was pleased with him in other areas too, he purposely slowed the game down on two or three occasions in the first half when we were under pressure. It seems a simple thing but I thought it was showing more of an understanding of the game and it's a basic principle of game management I've been very critical of him for not showing, so again, credit where it's due and hopefully it's the sign of further improvement in his game.

We know he's not a goalkeeper who is going to be dominant aerially or play us out from the back to the standard of other goalkeepers but he was mostly fine I thought with playing out from the back yesterday, there was a very poor ball to Fred in the first half and a couple of instances where he played balls behind players rather than in front of them but he doing things I've been critical of him for such as finding the full backs well and being more of an option for the centre backs in possession. He's never going to be perfect in that respect but it was a marked improvement from him and I think it's fair to give credit where it's due.

JB7

He is not the only keeper who can make these saves, but the two we are linked with regularly, Sanchez and Raya don't make those saves, Sanchez in particular is a terrible shot stopper. If the Quataris buy us and sign Allison from Liverpool, brilliant, but I don't think that's very likely. Swapping DeGea for Sanchez, Raya or god help us Dean Henderson is a very dumb idea.
In the interest of fairness here Raya is probably making those stops, they may not look as spectacular but he's making them. He's more aggressive and quicker across the ground than De Gea so he'd likely be at Barnes feet quicker to block the shot, particularly as he wouldn't drop so deep in the first instance. In terms of the header, he also has a tendency to go past his front post for crosses which I don't particularly like but if you watch any video about Raya you will see a number of stops similar where he's at his front post and he stops a back post header; IIRC there was even one against us earlier this season that he caught.

In the interest of fairness here Raya is probably making those stops, they may not look as spectacular but he's making them. He's more aggressive and quicker across the ground than De Gea so he'd likely be at Barnes feet quicker to block the shot, particularly as he wouldn't drop so deep in the first instance. In terms of the header, he also has a tendency to go past his front post for crosses which I don't particularly like but if you watch any video about Raya you will see a number of stops similar where he's at his front post and he stops a back post header; IIRC there was even one against us earlier this season that he caught.
Raya is a better shot stopper than Sanchez in fairness, however he is not particularly dominant at coming for crosses which we are always being told is one of DeGeas great weaknesses. I also don't think Raya is as good a shot stopper as DeGea although he may be better with his feet. I honestly think it is robbing Peter to pay Paul swapping DeGea for Raya, better distribution worse shot stopping, no great improvement. As for Sanchez, big no no, lots of mistakes in him particularly in high profile matches.
If we are going to buy Donnuramma, Alison, maybe even Neuer then sure swap them for De Gea, but fans wanting to get rid of DeGea for basically any numpty is hugely disrespectful to a United legend and still a very effective player.

romufc

I have been one in the past to say, we need to move on from DDG and get a better modern day keeper.

However; I see Raya, Sanchez come up as the alternatives and I would really be opposed to that.

They are not that elite at what they do to replace DDG. At least with DDG, I know he is the best shot stopper in the league, he produces magnificent saves all the time.

If the keeper we are getting is not elite at ball playing and claiming high balls, we should be looking for a younger keeper.

JB7

Raya is a better shot stopper than Sanchez in fairness, however he is not particularly dominant at coming for crosses which we are always being told is one of DeGeas great weaknesses. I also don't think Raya is as good a shot stopper as DeGea although he may be better with his feet. I honestly think it is robbing Peter to pay Paul swapping DeGea for Raya, better distribution worse shot stopping, no great improvement. As for Sanchez, big no no, lots of mistakes in him particularly in high profile matches.
If we are going to buy Donnuramma, Alison, maybe even Neuer then sure swap them for De Gea, but fans wanting to get rid of DeGea for basically any numpty is hugely disrespectful to a United legend and still a very effective player.
I'd recommend watching a bit more of Raya to fair because he's actually pretty damn good on crosses, I'm pretty sure only Martinez this year has dealt with more crosses into the box than him.

I do find the viewpoint that only a top level world class goalkeeper can replace De Gea, which seemingly suggests he himself is world class? I must ask, if De Gea was of the level you, and many others appear to believe he is, surely he'd have other clubs trying to sign him given he's available to speak to clubs all over Europe at the moment, but as it is no one else has even been credited with an interest, why is this?

roonster09

Scout
This seems like a weird day to be shitting on Dave honestly.
The same robot like replies after every game irrespective of how he plays, it's just tedious.

Defender tackling means he made a mistake before, GK making save means his positioning is wrong, attacker scoring with diving header means he made shit run at the start so he was late.

Lyng

The same robot like replies after every game irrespective of how he plays, it's just tedious.

Defender tackling means he made a mistake before, GK making save means his positioning is wrong, attacker scoring with diving header means he made shit run at the start so he was late.
I do believe we can probably find a keeper who suits our style more, but I agree with you its insane how much some people nitpick everything he does to turn even the good things he does in to flaws.

He had a great game against Leicester and he just equalled a fantastic record by another club legend, after sticking with us from some of our worst years. Surely today is not the day to try to pick him apart.

I'd recommend watching a bit more of Raya to fair because he's actually pretty damn good on crosses, I'm pretty sure only Martinez this year has dealt with more crosses into the box than him.

I do find the viewpoint that only a top level world class goalkeeper can replace De Gea, which seemingly suggests he himself is world class? I must ask, if De Gea was of the level you, and many others appear to believe he is, surely he'd have other clubs trying to sign him given he's available to speak to clubs all over Europe at the moment, but as it is no one else has even been credited with an interest, why is this?
Because he is on £300,000 per week and is the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, its fairly straightforward. If he was available for £150,000 per week or less like most of these other keepers are then lots of clubs would be after him.

roonster09

Scout
I do believe we can probably find a keeper who suits our style more, but I agree with you its insane how much some people nitpick everything he does to turn even the good things he does in to flaws.

He had a great game against Leicester and he just equalled a fantastic record by another club legend, after sticking with us from some of our worst years. Surely today is not the day to try to pick him apart.
Yeah, even I'm in same boat. I think we can and should upgrade on him, sign someone who commands the area well and also pass the ball or maybe initiate counter attacks with quick throws. Someone who is aggressive in keeping and with the ball.

JB7

Because he is on £300,000 per week and is the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, its fairly straightforward. If he was available for £150,000 per week or less like most of these other keepers are then lots of clubs would be after him.
But he is available for a vastly reduced salary, that's been put out there time and time again. And yet, still nothing.

Mr.Hik

Saved our asses. Again.
Can we do a better? Yes.
Is DDG biggest problem? No.

arnie_ni

But he is available for a vastly reduced salary, that's been put out there time and time again. And yet, still nothing.
Hes probably only available on a reduced salary for his current club. Loyalty and all that. I'd imagine if he'd move he'd be looking every single penny

Kostov

Classic De Gea game. Contributed to our worst period of the game where we lacked control and also made 2 great saves during that period. I don't see him here long term, but I will not be surprised if he leaves this summer OR if we sign him to say a 2+1 deal if he'll take it, with the idea being that he can always be sold now that his wages are normal again.
How did DDG contribute to Fred having an absolute brain fart and gifting Leicester possession in a manner no Manchester United midfielder should?

Sylar

Whilst I agree with the wage thing being an issue (as it is with a lot of players we try to move on), I also wonder what top team would have him? Spain have pretty much moved him on because of his weaknesses. Enrique is a manager some on this forum wanted previously and he basically gave a good reason.
With Enrique gone let's see if ddg is recalled?

Same question if we were looking to buy a keeper would we look at ddg now?

I'd rather have him over the Leeds keeper for example (or pope or lloris).
This seems like a weird day to be shitting on Dave honestly.
Think this is fair. He for sure has weaknesses but when you're in a position like we were in the first 20 you want your keeper saving you which he did. Twice. For both chances the way they got through, the other players should be criticised and ddg should be commended

BorisManUtd

2 brilliant saves make it a well deserved clean sheet. There are obvious weaknesses in De Gea's game and it remains to be seen if he's going to stay our number 1 for next season but I really love him. Number of times he's bailed us out over last decade is incredible. United legend for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.