Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Nothing against him, but when you see Ter Stegen's distribution you can just imagine how far we can go.

He just nullified almost every pressing that we intended, and always found a player.

De Gea is brilliant on his line, but if we want to go a level higher, I think we should consider another option that his equally as good as De Gea on his line, but better on his distribution.

meamth

He was so close to saving the penalty. Maybe 1 more centimeter of hand stretch and it would’ve been saved.

Made one passing mistake, but performed a huge save at 1-1. All in all a decent performance from Dave
But Caf experts wanted GK playmaker. That is more important.

AaronRedDevil

Just realised he’s only 2 clean sheets away from pope at the top. Would be great if he could achieve Golden gloves this season. Never thought I’d see him anywhere near there again.

Von Mistelroum

Honestly I've been one of the people thinking about getting in a 'modern type' keeper for a while, but when I really think about the saves he makes and the confidence he must give to our defenders, I actually think he's the best keeper we've ever had.

It would be great if he could do the fancy stuff too, but he is absolutely world class in goal and saves us regularly. He's played with some of the worst United teams and still been the best keeper around, still putting in the work and rescuing us time and again. And now that we're looking good we want rid?

I really think that if we swap him out for a new fancy goalkeeper, we'll see a big difference and not in the way people think.

fallengt

Fair play to him for the save but his misplaced passes could've costed us game.
Again, it's a net zero.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That pass was horrendous but also showed how panicked he gets. There was no target mind as the only players in front of him were Barcelona players. His distribution needs a lot of work.

Gomes

He is always better than the opposition keeper who some people pine for. Only keeper in the world who has to catch every cross. Nevermind that nobody does.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Honestly I've been one of the people thinking about getting in a 'modern type' keeper for a while, but when I really think about the saves he makes and the confidence he must give to our defenders, I actually think he's the best keeper we've ever had.

It would be great if he could do the fancy stuff too, but he is absolutely world class in goal and saves us regularly. He's played with some of the worst United teams and still been the best keeper around, still putting in the work and rescuing us time and again. And now that we're looking good we want rid?

I really think that if we swap him out for a new fancy goalkeeper, we'll see a big difference and not in the way people think.
I am sorry but why is it then whoever has played in front of him has hardly ever displayed that confidence that he is apparently spreading out . Also about us looking to get rid when we are good well that’s exactly how football teams are built. Goalkeepers aren’t special, if we had a striker who had scored a lot for us but now wasn’t as good and we wanted to get someone better that would be exactly the same

Sylar

Once again the question is begged, which keeper that will be realistically available in the summer can make the save he made from Kounde’s header?
I would be disappointed with any keeper that doesnt make that save. I dont think many keepersa make the save that he did vs leicester.

I'm the match thread
That is hardly rational posting and thinking. The performance threads are better gauge because its not right after a moment, but some time has passed.
Its also how things go. If Casemiro doesnt get back and put himself in the way of two shots, and they score, and it goes 0-2, suddenly its DDG costing us again at a crucial moment in a cup match.

Crucial save on that Barca header. I see people comparing his distribution to Ter Stegen and I agree with some of it, but on the flipside I feel like De Gea would've saved Fred's shot.
I think he also saves Antonys shot or makes a better effort of it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Classic Dave.

Moments where he made a couple of excellent stops.
Moments where you think he could have done better.
And moments where his distribution was terrible.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Nothing against him, but when you see Ter Stegen's distribution you can just imagine how far we can go.

He just nullified almost every pressing that we intended, and always found a player.

De Gea is brilliant on his line, but if we want to go a level higher, I think we should consider another option that his equally as good as De Gea on his line, but better on his distribution.
truth to be told I would love Ter Stegen here.

Based Adnan

The defenders know that for any ball that gets crossed in or played in behind, they are getting no help from the keeper. Hardly confidence inspiring. He also isn't exactly inspiring confidence with his ability on the ball either.

Van Der Sar was considerably better.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not a great performance.
He almost saved the (rather poor penalty). Good for him.

Then he had one good save from Kounde header, I thought that was a good shot but in the end he had enough time to reach to the left side with a right hand, made it look more difficult than it really was. Still a good safe.

Gave the ball away a number of times, he doesn't even try to pass it, just launch into space. I do think that's not only his problem, there must be something wrong with the team since we lose the ball a lot from goalkeeper long passes.

Never tried to catch a cross. Dwelled on the ball a lot. Almost cost us a goal, launching a ball from panic station.

Like mentioned earlier by someone else, net zero game. He's OK and that's it.

The defenders know that for any ball that gets crossed in or played in behind, they are getting no help from the keeper. Hardly confidence inspiring. He also isn't exactly inspiring confidence with his ability on the ball either.

Van Der Sar was considerably better.
This. It's a very basic psychological aspect people seem to forget.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If AWB can improve leaps & bounds, I am sure with a summer pre-season, DDG can improve his ball kicking. Failing that then we replace him the following summer.

Olecurls99

Could of claimed the cross that led to the penalty, and the cross that led to Koundes chance. But didn't instead we concede a penalty and he is forced into a good save and then a corner to defend.

Both instances he could claim the ball with little fuss and give us control of the ball.

Distribution exactly what we come to expect panicky under pressure. Distinctly average when not.

If he saves the pen people would say what a performance. Best GK in the world etc etc. Most GKs get through last night with minimal fuss without having to make many saves at all.
Could have.

Could have got under the ball like the great Ederson on Wednesday and left an open goal on both occasions.

Olecurls99

I am sorry but why is it then whoever has played in front of him has hardly ever displayed that confidence that he is apparently spreading out . Also about us looking to get rid when we are good well that’s exactly how football teams are built. Goalkeepers aren’t special, if we had a striker who had scored a lot for us but now wasn’t as good and we wanted to get someone better that would be exactly the same
I would say Varane and Martinez are displaying confidence :confused:

Suedesi

He's so laughably bad at distribution - zero composure under pressure. Instead of opening up his body to pass to Varane or Bissaka he boots (badly) it straight to Sergi Roberto.

Crashoutcassius

Can only assume it is the same guys that were trying to hound Bruno out for losing possession that feel stupid and flock here. It's the current wierdest thread on the forum. people practically saying goal keeper saves don't matter

JB7

Can only assume it is the same guys that were trying to hound Bruno out for losing possession that feel stupid and flock here. It's the current wierdest thread on the forum. people practically saying goal keeper saves don't matter
I think it's more the ridiculousness that people seem to think he's the only goalkeeper in the world that makes saves. If people can't see the multiple major flaws in his game fine, but this nonsense that seems to be spreading about "no other goalkeeper would make that save" like we were seeing Saturday is just completely insane.

It was a fantastic save from Kounde, he's so good at those. I've been a big De Gea defender over the years. Those error-strewn seasons were tough to watch but the horrific abuse and vilification a fantastic servant of the club has endured is something I'm not a fan of. Not to mention that he gets criticized for stuff that no other keeper gets flack for because he's so under the microscope.

That said, it's pretty clear he doesn't fit how ETH wants to play, we've essentially had to change our style of play because of him. It's a testament to ETH that this team is still performing excellently. And to de Gea's credit he has made a concerted effort to improve on the ball and in sweeping this year.

I'm sure I will get replied to by posters with the same old lines, a goalkeepers main job is to keep the ball out, when did all of this fancy ball-playing stuff become necessary, analytics are crap yada yada. Don't get me wrong, shotstopping is important. But we simply cannot dominate possession and keep an aggressive defensive line with de Gea as our starting keeper due to his difficulties on the ball and penchant for staying glued to his line. Was watching that first half before Barcelona mentally collapsed and Ter Stegen was an incredible outlet. When Barca defenders were in danger they could play it to him and he would ping a 30-yard pass like it's nothing and Barca would progress the ball and make our press look silly.

DDG makes some fantastic highlight saves but part of the reason we get into those situations and often get stuck in these back and forth thrillers is because we often have to clear long with him at the back. We also concede quite a few chances off set pieces (think we're among the worst in the league in xG conceded from them) because he's not strong in crowds and in claiming/punching.

Because discussions on de Gea tend to get so shit-slingy and emotional, I want to preface again that I'm a big fan of de Gea. I hope he's able to win multiple trophies with us before he leaves, the man deserves it for sticking by and dragging us through some awful years when he should've been winning UCLs. But if money allows and Ten Hag believes it's a priority, I would really like to bring in a younger keeper with some more quality on the ball and control of his area as well as shot-stopping abilities. Profile that is few and far between, but not impossible, look at Allisson. Raya on a free would be nice although he's not top class. Robert Sanchez is dogshit don't want him anywhere near us. Costa or Maignan would be my picks but both would cost a lot and who knows if we're willing to invest that much in a GK.

Either way I'd love de Gea to stay on massively decreased wages as a number 2. And if he's our number 1 for another season it's far from the end of the world as we have more pressing concerns, but I don't think we'll be able to play the football ETH wants us to and hit that top, top level with him as our starter. But what we're doing now is still pretty damn good :)

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
He's so laughably bad at distribution - zero composure under pressure. Instead of opening up his body to pass to Varane or Bissaka he boots (badly) it straight to Sergi Roberto.

This is so funny because there is literally one area where you can't pass the ball in this situation and he does exactly that

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It’s nice to have a Zidane in goal but I’d stick with DDG for a season and half.
He is at his maturest and we want to replace him with a gamble that might not pay off. At least we all know his limitations including the players. Bringing a new number one in now, means adjusting our back line to whatever the shortcomings of the new guy might be.
Ten Hag should have brought in new guy with him but it’s not the right time now.
His inability on the ball has been a weapon for us in games because it’s fooled lesser teams to attempt putting pressure on him and allowing for some great plays at times. Those plays get ignored though when we criticise him. Which is normal in my opinion, when you play for a top club the good is expected and you’re always judged on the limitations.

Suedesi

It was a fantastic save from Kounde, he's so good at those. I've been a big De Gea defender over the years. Those error-strewn seasons were tough to watch but the horrific abuse and vilification a fantastic servant of the club has endured is something I'm not a fan of. Not to mention that he gets criticized for stuff that no other keeper gets flack for because he's so under the microscope.

That said, it's pretty clear he doesn't fit how ETH wants to play, we've essentially had to change our style of play because of him. It's a testament to ETH that this team is still performing excellently. And to de Gea's credit he has made a concerted effort to improve on the ball and in sweeping this year.

I'm sure I will get replied to by posters with the same old lines, a goalkeepers main job is to keep the ball out, when did all of this fancy ball-playing stuff become necessary, analytics are crap yada yada. Don't get me wrong, shotstopping is important. But we simply cannot dominate possession and keep an aggressive defensive line with de Gea as our starting keeper due to his difficulties on the ball and penchant for staying glued to his line. Was watching that first half before Barcelona mentally collapsed and Ter Stegen was an incredible outlet. When Barca defenders were in danger they could play it to him and he would ping a 30-yard pass like it's nothing and Barca would progress the ball and make our press look silly.

DDG makes some fantastic highlight saves but part of the reason we get into those situations and often get stuck in these back and forth thrillers is because we often have to clear long with him at the back. We also concede quite a few chances off set pieces (think we're among the worst in the league in xG conceded from them) because he's not strong in crowds and in claiming/punching.

Because discussions on de Gea tend to get so shit-slingy and emotional, I want to preface again that I'm a big fan of de Gea. I hope he's able to win multiple trophies with us before he leaves, the man deserves it for sticking by and dragging us through some awful years when he should've been winning UCLs. But if money allows and Ten Hag believes it's a priority, I would really like to bring in a younger keeper with some more quality on the ball and control of his area as well as shot-stopping abilities. Profile that is few and far between, but not impossible, look at Allisson. Raya on a free would be nice although he's not top class. Robert Sanchez is dogshit don't want him anywhere near us. Costa or Maignan would be my picks but both would cost a lot and who knows if we're willing to invest that much in a GK.

Either way I'd love de Gea to stay on massively decreased wages as a number 2. And if he's our number 1 for another season it's far from the end of the world as we have more pressing concerns, but I don't think we'll be able to play the football ETH wants us to and hit that top, top level with him as our starter. But what we're doing now is still pretty damn good :)
Great post

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
That pass was horrendous but also showed how panicked he gets. There was no target mind as the only players in front of him were Barcelona players. His distribution needs a lot of work.
You mean the many passing options all the good sweeper keepers have in play. People also seem to forget apart from Licha no of out other players are from that football background. Some of his flaws get exposed by the players ahead of him due to them not doing the right things to relief him. If DDG made the Allison mistake, we won’t be saying these things happen and but analyse how the passing lane was block and he had another 90 degree space to pass it to but he chose to whack the ball on Vinicius.

Longshanks

Could have.

Could have got under the ball like the great Ederson on Wednesday and left an open goal on both occasions.
For what it's worth I dont rate Ederson that highly. His distribution is outstanding but the rest of his game is a bit flawed.

Ederson compleatly misjudged the flight of the ball, poor mistake. Especially with players arriving at the back post.

For De Gea though, there isn't much traffic, for the first one that led to the penalty I don't think there is a Barca player near it, and for the kounde one there is only kounde anywhere near it. He could easily get in front of kounde and claim it comfortably. But then no save for the highlight reel I suppose. Also wouldn't have a corner to defend and could be launching a counter. But why attack when you can defend? I mean who wants to score goals anyway.

lex talionis

De Gea makes those two saves that Ter Stegen couldn't make.

For what it's worth that is, as it appears for some here that shot-stopping is only an incidental quality for a keeper, no more important than passing the ball to defenders. Even if De Gea nailed his passes to Dalot and Shaw perfectly, if Ter Stegen makes the saves that he couldn't make last night that De Gea could it's Barcelona who go through to the next round of the EL, not United.

Crashoutcassius

How could he have dragged us through multiple years and be a total liability right now? Has the game changed totally in the fundamentals in five years ?

How could he have dragged us through multiple years and be a total liability right now? Has the game changed totally in the fundamentals in five years ?
Please reread my post and point me toward where I said he is a total liability.

The football Mourinho wanted to play, when de Gea was at his best, was very different from the football I believe ETH wants to play. That make sense?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
De Gea makes those two saves that Ter Stegen couldn't make.

For what it's worth that is, as it appears for some here that shot-stopping is only an incidental quality for a keeper, no more important than passing the ball to defenders. Even if De Gea nailed his passes to Dalot and Shaw perfectly, if Ter Stegen makes the saves that he couldn't make last night that De Gea could it's Barcelona who go through to the next round of the EL, not United.

That’s just pure conjuncture about what DDG would save. Over the course of the ties Ter Stegen made his fair share of good saves as well

Malone_Post

The De Gea fan club really do have this weird agenda that no other keepers make good saves. Apparently if we get a keeper who is good with his feet it means he’ll also be throwing the ball in his net every 5 minutes. They also completely over exaggerate every save De Gea does make into ‘no other keeeper in the world could save that’ category and any goal the opposition concede into ‘De Gea would have saved that’. And yet when it comes to the stats, it shows that De Gea’s save % & PSxG are absolutely bang average. He’s in 10th place for both save % and PSxG in the league while right at the bottom for crosses claimed & sweeps per 90. Which all in all paints the (accurate) picture of a very average goalkeeper.

Trequartistry

If it wasn’t for Casemiro we’d be 2-0 down at half time both goals solely on De Gea

And before anyone says anything about not saving a penalty is unlucky…I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about his not claiming the cross that came in leading to the penalty which eliminates all danger. Varane has to sit inside the 6 yard box and head it away. Can’t believe no one has picked up on this

Genuinely can’t stand him. Call it an agenda that’s fine, the eye test and the stats back it up however. He’s getting hype for a save which almost every keeper on the planet makes. He just loves bending his knees before he jumps so he can get an extra leap making his save look more extravagant

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
People don't half overrate his saves on here. Go watch some highlights of other keepers, you'll be amazed.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If it wasn’t for Casemiro we’d be 2-0 down at half time both goals solely on De Gea

And before anyone says anything about not saving a penalty is unlucky…I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about his not claiming the cross that came in leading to the penalty which eliminates all danger. Varane has to sit inside the 6 yard box and head it away. Can’t believe no one has picked up on this

Genuinely can’t stand him. Call it an agenda that’s fine, the eye test and the stats back it up however. He’s getting hype for a save which almost every keeper on the planet makes. He just loves bending his knees before he jumps so he can get an extra leap making his save look more extravagant
If you can't stand a player to such an extent that you think "he bends his knees before he jumps" is fair criticism then the problem very much lies with you.

Olecurls99

For what it's worth I dont rate Ederson that highly. His distribution is outstanding but the rest of his game is a bit flawed.

Ederson compleatly misjudged the flight of the ball, poor mistake. Especially with players arriving at the back post.

For De Gea though, there isn't much traffic, for the first one that led to the penalty I don't think there is a Barca player near it, and for the kounde one there is only kounde anywhere near it. He could easily get in front of kounde and claim it comfortably. But then no save for the highlight reel I suppose. Also wouldn't have a corner to defend and could be launching a counter. But why attack when you can defend? I mean who wants to score goals anyway.
My point is that all keepers have flaws. The only keeper that I would swap for Dave would be Alisson and he ain't coming here.

All these names suggested aren't playing at big clubs and their flaws will only be exacerbated at this club and picked through by hypercritics.

De Gea is playing very well this season and is a big part of our upturn IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.