Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olecurls99

Which part is the hypercriticism though?

I'll be happy to debate you, but again, which part of any of my posts regarding ddg have been excessive?

I read a lot 'be careful what you wish for' but it really does seem like ddg defenders just can't stand any criticism of him and go the opposite way to make it out like he's making saves that no other keepers have the ability to do.

I don't understand putting a player above the club.
Constantly, and I mean constantly, highlighting things that are a tiny percentage of what makes a keeper good.

I would divvy it up this way
Claiming crosses 5%
Sweeping 10%
Distribution 5%
Making saves 80%

He has been the best in the leage at making saves for us many times before. This season he's in the pack and Allison is out in front.

And I'm not putting him above the club. I think he's integral to our success. He won us 3 points against Leicester and many other times this season with incredible saves.

He still received criticism after the Leicester game from the magnificent 7. #hypercriticism

Based Adnan

He needs replacing. Poor at claiming crosses, sweeping and distribution. Average at shot stopping to boot.

Based Adnan

Average at shot stopping :lol:
40th percentile in Europes top leagues for save %

33rd percentile for PSxG

De Gea defenders love to claim he makes saves other goalkeepers don't do but it's statistically not true and hasn't been for a while.

Olecurls99

40th percentile in Europes top leagues for save %

33rd percentile for PSxG

De Gea defenders love to claim he makes saves other goalkeepers don't do but it's statistically not true and hasn't been for a while.
Statistics can't tell you whether another keeper would make the save or not. You're putting too much faith in Statistics.

Take the Olise goal. That was a 0.03 chance of a goal but nobody saves it. Right away that puts Dave at -0.97 and he looks bad.

Here's a better way to look at it.

When he concedes a goal, ask yourself if he should have saved it. That's rarely been a yes this season for me.

Based Adnan

Statistics can't tell you whether another keeper would make the save or not. You're putting too much faith in Statistics.

Take the Olise goal. That was a 0.03 chance of a goal but nobody saves it. Right away that puts Dave at -0.97 and he looks bad.

When he concedes a goal, ask yourself if he should have saved it. That's rarely been a yes this season for me.
If I spent as much time defending De Gea as you I'd also choose to ignore the statistics

Besides, the fact he's an average shot stopper now isn't even top 3 reasons why he should be replaced as a priority. The lack of ball playing, sweeping and ability to deal with crosses see to that.

Olecurls99

If I spent as much time defending De Gea as you I'd also choose to ignore the statistics

Besides, the fact he's an average shot stopper now isn't even top 3 reasons why he should be replaced as a priority. The lack of ball playing, sweeping and ability to deal with crosses see to that.
Ouch

I'm just trying to fill in the grey man.

Statistics are not gospel

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I get what you mean, looking at some examples I do see your point but my point is based on also considering his initial positioning as the main thing that makes those saves look easy. Then he makes them look cool if he wants to. His positioning and reading of potential shots is great, he has control over shots he has no right to reach, much like someone like Neuer. He isn't perfect but hey I'm here to give him his dues right now because I can be too critical of him as well.
I won't comment on positioning, I'm not an expert.

The only point I will argue is he hardly makes any saves look "easy" what I don't think is a particularly good thing for a keeper.

Sylar

Constantly, and I mean constantly, highlighting things that are a tiny percentage of what makes a keeper good.

I would divvy it up this way
Claiming crosses 5%
Sweeping 10%
Distribution 5%
Making saves 80%

He has been the best in the leage at making saves for us many times before. This season he's in the pack and Allison is out in front.

And I'm not putting him above the club. I think he's integral to our success. He won us 3 points against Leicester and many other times this season with incredible saves.

He still received criticism after the Leicester game from the magnificent 7. #hypercriticism
This is bizarre.
What is the magnificent seven? At least clarify that if you're going to bring that up.

Your breakup of what a keeper needs. Where does this come from? What about communication? What about command of the box? Why have you put claiming.

With regards to the bold, I agree but that could be said years ago. This year has been an improvement for sure. But again, do you think he's the best we could do for Eth?

He was great against Leicester. But he was poor against brentford. For the games this season I don't think he's been outstanding in terms of what ddg has given us in the past not what we want or should strive to if we want to achieve actual success (winning trophies)

I think he's been unlucky he's not had a great partnership in front of him since 2013 until now but it comes at a point he's declined from his best

Pickle85

Maybe you could try actually watching football instead of reading about it on spreadsheets and then dashing to your laptop to regurgitate the stats you just learned.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Neither can you.

On the Olise point, that's what PSxG is.

Pronewbie

Peep
Well the problem with his shot stopping for a few seasons now is that he blows hot and cold too often, if that's what the other poster meant by average shot-stopping - in terms of outcomes - then okay. Take away what he was one of the best in the world at and he becomes an average goalkeeper. Don't ignore the fact that his poor command of his area, refusal to collect crosses and so on do result in more shots against him which, compounded by him being inconsistent, has resulted in him justifiably losing his NT spot.

Oh, and while his distribution is pretty good, it goes to shit too easily because he has 0 composure with the ball at his feet.

Based Adnan

Maybe you could try actually watching football instead of reading about it on spreadsheets and then dashing to your laptop to regurgitate the stats you just learned.
What I see in the games is backed up by statistics. What about you?

Based Adnan

Back to your spreadsheets buddy. I'm sure if you finetune your macros you can find another united player to baseless shit on.
So I'll take that as absolutely nothing then.

Pointing out a players flaws is not shitting on them but some of you guys who are so personally attached to them fail to understand that. It's also hardly 'baseless' when there's ample stats proving what I'm saying but go on.

Pickle85

So I'll take that as absolutely nothing then.

Pointing out a players flaws is not shitting on them but some of you guys who are so personally attached to them fail to understand that. It's also hardly 'baseless' when there's ample stats proving what I'm saying but go on.
Calling De Gea an average shot stopper, as below, shows that your opinion is solely based on stats and you're not worth listening to.

I agree we can improve on him and hes deficient in several ways but your post, where you say hes an average shit stopper, is moronic.

Based Adnan

Calling De Gea an average shot stopper, as below, shows that your opinion is solely based on stats and you're not worth listening to.

I agree we can improve on him and hes deficient in several ways but your post, where you say hes an average shit stopper, is moronic.
Moronic but backed up by stats. Only one moronic statement here.

Pickle85

Moronic but backed up by stats. Only one moronic statement here.
Agreed.

This one.

Oranges038

Have you seen his underpants?

Trequartistry

Wembley De Gea tomorrow, usually means we have a massive error imminent (all 3 goals in the 2020 FA Cup semi final, Puncheon goal FA Cup Final, City in community shield) and probably many more

mikeyt

He needs replacing. Poor at claiming crosses, sweeping and distribution. Average at shot stopping to boot.
I agree he really does and has been poor in a number of areas for a while, he costs us a lot of goals with his inability to command his area, claim crosses and distribute effectively but while he's not the shot stopper he once was, I don't think I'd call that aspect of his game average.

Malone_Post

De Gea’s save percentage this season is the 10th best in the league. 10th…out of 20. Smack bang in the middle of the pack. If that’s not the definition of average then I don’t know what is. And that’s his biggest (only) quality.

You’d think by the way some on here go on that no other keeper in the league is capable of making saves and they just constantly throw the ball in the net.

Agreed. David would probably have saved those two goals.
Based on his performances this season he probably wouldn’t have. He conceded two weaker efforts just last week in the Nou Camp. And Ter Stagen has a far superior save percentage this season. 89% vs 70%. If Ter Stagen ain’t saving them, then the chances are De Gea isn’t either.

The 2018 version of De Gea…quite possibly.

JB7

He's the Head of the De Gea Magnificentos
Am I? Thanks. Proper weirdo you that you can’t deal with the fact people have a different opinion than you, particularly when you mock them from providing evidence of why they think that way.

Btw if 80% of goalkeeping is about simply saving shots the goalkeepers wouldn’t spend the vast majority of their time training as part of the team unit. I understand that that’s your belief but it’s just incorrect.

Olecurls99

Am I? Thanks. Proper weirdo you that you can’t deal with the fact people have a different opinion than you, particularly when you mock them from providing evidence of why they think that way.

Btw if 80% of goalkeeping is about simply saving shots the goalkeepers wouldn’t spend the vast majority of their time training as part of the team unit. I understand that that’s your belief but it’s just incorrect.
It was a bit of light hearted banter. No need for the insults.

I think we can debate without them.

NLunited

Arguing with another member
De Gea’s save percentage this season is the 10th best in the league. 10th…out of 20. Smack bang in the middle of the pack. If that’s not the definition of average then I don’t know what is. And that’s his biggest (only) quality.

You’d think by the way some on here go on that no other keeper in the league is capable of making saves and they just constantly throw the ball in the net.

Based on his performances this season he probably wouldn’t have. He conceded two weaker efforts just last week in the Nou Camp. And Ter Stagen has a far superior save percentage this season. 89% vs 70%. If Ter Stagen ain’t saving them, then the chances are De Gea isn’t either.

The 2018 version of De Gea…quite possibly.
Those stats are bs. They don‘t take a whole bunch of things into account.

Last weeks goals? Far post free header from corner and cross that goes through the legs of two players.

Just cut the bs, DeGea needs to be replaced by someone better with their feet AND just as good on the line. Bar that, feck off.

Wing Attack Plan R

I still like DeGea. This season is the only one he’s had the chance to actually sweep/play out from the back with teammates who don’t immediately shit their pants when they are closed down, or worse, dither on the ball and then offer a return weak ball to DeGea. I completely disagree that he’s an average shot stopper, I think he’s incredible.

The deficiencies in his game in my opinion are his inability to save penalties, and he could be more forceful in the 6 yard box.

He’s rescued us in multiple games, he’s made saves that everyone in the ground thought were in. When we finally got in Henderson, a supposedly superior keeper who plays in the modern style,I think it was conclusively shown that DeGea is better than he gets credit for.

If DeGea “needs” to be upgraded, that is last priority.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Feck me, these De Gea haters are really hung up on their fecking stats! :lol:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Stats say Fred has a better passing accuracy than Casemiro, does that mean Fred is a better passer than Casemiro? Like feck he is, but the stats say he is - please explain how?

NLunited

Yep, and gk stats are unreliable. How do you compare different circumstances? The stats don‘t for the most part.

Gea regularly saves our butts with saves he shouldn‘t make, and there have been very few errors.

I can see us getting a ball playing keeper, and the same idiots slagging him for letting in too many goals.

Trequartistry

Stats say Fred has a better passing accuracy than Casemiro, does that mean Fred is a better passer than Casemiro? Like feck he is, but the stats say he is - please explain how?
Well that’s using stats incorrectly and without context. Casemiro is much more braver in his passing so therefore takes more risks = more misplaced passes

JB7

It was a bit of light hearted banter. No need for the insults.

I think we can debate without them.
You think “weirdo” is an insult? Christ never go to an actual game. Btw it’s not a debate because you don’t add anything you just tell people he’s brilliant & mock the use of stats when people prove you to be wrong. You also seem to think the options are De Gea or Ederson with inbetween with is just as ridiculous.

When we finally got in Henderson, a supposedly superior keeper who plays in the modern style,I think it was conclusively shown that DeGea is better than he gets credit for.
I’m no fan of Henderson, who absolutely is not a “modern” goalkeeper, but this is a common misconception predominantly because of that Salah goal whereas in reality literally every performance metric (both individual & team metrics) was considerably better with him in goal that season (to name a few of the obvious ones; won more games, kept more clean sheets, conceded less goals, scored more goals, played a higher line) & fell off a cliff as soon as De Gea was reintroduced to the team because the defence couldn’t deal with the differences in the goalkeepers swapping behind them.

Sylar

You, adnan, jb7.

You know, the usual suspects
I see from my post that is the only part you addressed. That tells me all I need to about your 'agenda' here.

As I said bizarre that people are very defensive about a player. Same thing happened with Rooney towards his latter years.

I do hope ddg gets to lift the trophy tomorrow

JB7

Stand behind the guy for 10 years. Believe me you won’t need stats to see the problems with him. They certainly help in explaining said problems though.

Status
Not open for further replies.