Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's not a modern keeper and he's never once shown that he has that ability. On form he's a world class shot stopper and that's it. I like him as a character but under no circumstances should he get a new contract. The next GK we buy really needs to be a modern type with view to dislodging Dave this season.

He can't complain really. I know he wants to stay, but he's been incredibly well compensated during his stay here and he can go somewhere else with a pot of gold.

Jaykespeare88

Hasn’t been the best keeper at the club since Mourinho’s first season, yet we continue to pay him mammoth wages and sideline every other option we have at the club. He no longer even has the shot stopping that can shine behind a shaky defence.

He’s an absolute dinosaur and I said very early on in the summer that his manifest weaknesses could well cost the manager his job. I am staggered he backed him, moved on Henderson, and didn’t look to make a new GK a priority signing.

His toxic attitude second half refusing to join the manager’s second half drinks break talk should see him never play for the club again. ETH’s authority is completely gone already if he plays next week.
Henderson didnt even want the manager to see him train.

Oranges038

I find it difficult to get angry at De Gea compared to most players with the amount of times he's saved us over the years but yeah, that was awful and I think we need to start looking at modern keepers.
I've gone beyond angry, I just don't care for him anymore. I have been done with him for a long time.

He's been fairly shit going on about 4 years now, even during his poty season last year he was rubbish at everything aside from making saves and the second half of the season he was fairly awful in terms of that too.

90% of what he doesn't do isn't "modern goalkeeping". It's standard goalkeeping you expect from any keeper at all levels of the game, making saves, communication, sweeping, claiming high balls etc.. all crucial apsects of a keepers job and have been for over a century.

"Modern goalkeeping" requires your keeper to do all that and be able to control and pass a football. He is/was good at making saves, that's all. Everything else, forget about it. The 2nd goal today shows he's just not good enough with the ball at his feet and has neither the confidence nor the vision to control and pass the ball to the level required.

You simply cannot play a high line or play a possesion based game coming out from the back with him. It won't work, Enrique recognised this almost immediately and binned him off. It's time for Utd to do the same.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Can the fecking fax machine meme die already? There was never a fax machine involved, that story was completely made up.

Suedesi

Yeah!! Much better to do like our wonderful captain who will always blame the team instead!!

De Gea needs to get swapped out but it's still nice we have at least one player who has big enough balls to admit his fault.

Yeah - as frustrated as any with his "performance" today, but props for coming in to speak to the press

Unlike our "captain" who's hiding

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Yeah - as frustrated as any with his "performance" today, but props for coming in to speak to the press

Meh. Hes done it many times. It doesn’t work anymore. Fix your game or feck off

Josep Dowling

Garbage goalkeeper and has been for a long time. Yet another player on a mega salary we will never shift under the current regime. Prone to so many mistakes when playing out from the back. Can’t even get selected for Spain anymore. That should tell you everything you need to know about the player.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Mourinho benched him in 16/17 for EL matches and Romero controlled the situation throughout entire tournament.

You don't have to throw De Gea out of the club, just give him proper competition and see if he cracks. If he goes, he goes naturally.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I mean, sure, making sure to publicly claim responsibility is a good thing, particularly in a context where he knows his mistakes will lead to a lot of abuse for his teammates as well.

But I couldn't care less about that really. It's not like we're complaining that De Gea is a prick or bad teammate/professional off the pitch. I'm sure he's lovely. That's feck all use to us in terms of not letting in goals though.

RedDevilQuebecois

Mourinho benched him in 16/17 for EL matches and Romero controlled the situation throughout entire tournament.

You don't have to throw De Gea out of the club, just give him proper competition and see if he cracks. If he goes, he goes naturally.
Indeed. I wasn't sure about it at the time, but playing Romero in the EL from start to finish was brilliant in the end.

De Gea is in serious need of getting the boot in the arse because his play in preseason up until now has been nothing short of embarrassing.

Trequarista10

I will always like the guy for saving us multitudes of times during Moyes and LVG eras.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Two games into season, United has conceded 6 and DDG made 3 errors that leading to goals.
This is what happen when you leave washed up footballers unchallenged. There should always be competition, make them fight for their spot.
And the errors in pre-season, the guy is just not up for it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I will always like the guy for saving us multitudes of times during Moyes and LVG eras.
Agree. And the sooner he leaves, the sooner I can get to remembering him fondly and only saying nice things about him.

But right now he's killing me.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Indeed. I wasn't sure about it at the time, but playing Romero in the EL from start to finish was brilliant in the end.

De Gea is in serious need of getting the boot in the arse because his play in preseason up until now has been nothing short of embarrassing.
I doubt Mourinho would tolerate him after today's. Chances are he'd be destroyed in post match interview.

Davey is living off his past form a bit. He's no longer Big Dave, the lad becoming softer than Juan Mata who in his days was surgically exceptional in Chelsea.

JB7

*Pretends to be shocked*

Just got back. What a fecking shitshow, what chance do the rest of the team have when your goalkeeper is putting you 2-0 & 3-0 down inside half an hour or so two weeks on the bounce. Sick to death of him.

croadyman

Still should be gone but won't be due to those two clowns who thought he should get £375k a week

Wilt

De Gea should donate his £375k weeks wages to charity

arthurka

Had enough 5 years ago nothing has changed, he is still shit. Don't give a shit talking about failing and being shit.

fallengt

I wanted to feel sorry for him but then I remembered he's the highest paid Spanish player in the world...
Only if we had had someone in the club told ETH that DDG statistically ranks lowest in ball distribution in the league. A Football Director maybe? Oh wait, he's busy sucking Glazers off

Dominos

How did he become this bad honestly?

In the Moyes, LVG and Mourinho years he made so few howlers.

Since Mourinho's meltdown season in 18/19 he makes so many ridiculous errors conceding shots that should be routine saves.

Who has his coach been these last few years out of interest? I remember there was a big fuss over how LVG's and Mourinho's goalkeeping coaches really developed him into one of the worlds best and he's fell off a cliff since then.

city-puma

I wanted to feel sorry for him but then I remembered he's the highest paid Spanish player in the world...
Only if we had had someone in the club told ETH that DDG statistically ranks lowest in ball distribution in the league. A Football Director maybe? Oh wait, he's busy sucking Glazers off
I remember ETH just hired a performance analyst from Ajax. There is development behind the scenes. ETH is still in the phase to know every player. When he feels it necessary, he will make a call. There is also the report ETH demanded to increase the budget to find the No.2 goalkeeper. He probably has already seen something.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
While it's not an ideal thing to do, I thought Henderson's outburst last week was understandable. When you look at De Gea's performances with a bit of a trained eye, you can see the deficiencies in his game and Dean Henderson being Dean Henderson, will back himself to dislodge De Gea. Unfortunately, there seems to be a reluctance at the club to get rid of our Spanish "savior."

Shot stopping isn't the only aspect of goalkeeping.

Dominos

Shot stopping isn't the only aspect of goalkeeping.
He's not even good at that any more. He didn't even outperform his xGA last year in a "good season", and the amount of howlers he's made over the last 4 years on easy shots is laughable.

You also never really have any faith in him in a 1v1 in the same way you would Allison or Ederson.

tariqo

Supports
barcelona
Thank you but we must get another goalkeeper

Sylar

We don't even need a modern keeper to see an improvement. Just somebody that is a standard keeper would be a huge improvement because we may see communication with the defence, somebody organising what's in front of him,etc.

Henderson seemed to have a better understanding with our defence a season ago or two ago when he took over,and his flaws were less compared to ddg.

This was one of Eth biggest tests. The spine of the team is really important to get right and the goalkeeper is probably the most important part. I am so surprised we let it get to this situation. We are a shambles as a club (no surprise) with a new manager coming in and being in this position two games gone already.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We don't even need a modern keeper to see an improvement. Just somebody that is a standard keeper would be a huge improvement because we may see communication with the defence, somebody organising what's in front of him,etc.

Henderson seemed to have a better understanding with our defence a season ago or two ago when he took over,and his flaws were less compared to ddg.

This was one of Eth biggest tests. The spine of the team is really important to get right and the goalkeeper is probably the most important part. I am so surprised we let it get to this situation. We are a shambles as a club (no surprise) with a new manager coming in and being in this position two games gone already.
This is what happened with Henderson and why I was happy with him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think a good portion of us got talked down when we said the keeper was one of the biggest issues at the club over the summer. I still remember people saying we had far bigger priorities but I couldn’t disagree more. He’s a terrible keeper and I don’t think there’s a collection of defenders and midfielders around who can cover his deficiencies. We don’t have crap CBs, they just get absolutely zero communication and protection, which is vital. Look at how much better pool got when they signed Allison, or City with Ederson, or Chelsea with Mendy. The proof is in the pudding. Disgrace that we aren’t addressing this role with a better player. An even bigger disgrace that we let a better keeper leave the club in frustration because he was being benched by a relic.

ti vu

How did he become this bad honestly?

In the Moyes, LVG and Mourinho years he made so few howlers.

Since Mourinho's meltdown season in 18/19 he makes so many ridiculous errors conceding shots that should be routine saves.

Who has his coach been these last few years out of interest? I remember there was a big fuss over how LVG's and Mourinho's goalkeeping coaches really developed him into one of the worlds best and he's fell off a cliff since then.
World Cup in Russia broke him. After that summer, he came back woefully and played a part in the shamble of Mourinho's end. Last season, he recovered, but never the same after Russia.

GazTheLegend

I've argued many times that we looked a better side with Henderson in goal. Our best performance (beating city 2-0 at old Trafford) came with Henderson in goal. Henderson faced 10 shots on target the other week and
conceded the two. De Gea has faced 11 and conceded 6. It's not good enough. Almost every shot is going in, and there's no prevention either - crosses and corners all look dangerous, free kicks into the box are always going to cause problems for us, physical sides must enjoy it because they know they've got a chance.....

De Gea needs to improve bit it's clear that de Gea knows that. I love the guy and he's been amazing for us but there is no room for sentiment in football. Sentiment got Ole sacked deservedly. Hope he works hard in training because I feel that Ten Hag won't put up with this for long. If Henderson has a great game today that pressure will mount on the club as to what the hell they are actually doing too ...

Welbeckham

He has been one of the biggest problems in this club for at least four years, even before that I’d argue. He severely lacks mental strenght football intelligence and basic skillset, and goalkeeper like that affects the whole team terribly.

It’s no coincidence we did better with both Henderson and Romero, both of whom were much better characters, more confident, commanding, active, brave. People just don’t understand a thing about goalkeeping, because De Gea has been one of the worst keepers in the league for years now, even at his best. He is a problem, THE problem even.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think a good portion of us got talked down when we said the keeper was one of the biggest issues at the club over the summer. I still remember people saying we had far bigger priorities but I couldn’t disagree more. He’s a terrible keeper and I don’t think there’s a collection of defenders and midfielders around who can cover his deficiencies. We don’t have crap CBs, they just get absolutely zero communication and protection, which is vital. Look at how much better pool got when they signed Allison, or City with Ederson, or Chelsea with Mendy. The proof is in the pudding. Disgrace that we aren’t addressing this role with a better player. An even bigger disgrace that we let a better keeper leave the club in frustration because he was being benched by a relic.
I feel the same way.

Im not a fan that has a go at players like Maguire, Varane, Lindelof and Martinez yet because they have to defend in front of such an incapable goalkeeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.