Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Was very good today: punched one dangerous cross, sweeped once, didn’t make any short passes, and a few saves including an own goal attempt by Martinez. Not at fault at all for their goal, defence should have won the rebound

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s weird because if we had a proper sweeper keeper I think it’d transform us but he doesn’t have pull off some worldies. We shouldn’t fall in love with backs to the wall performances though.

Lyng

His best game in many years. Clearly had something to prove. If he keeps this up we can wait till next summer with finding a new number one.

Oranges038

A few high balls around the box I thought he could have come for. His kicking is fecking awful. Dunno how many times a player could look to give him the ball and he's nowhere to be seen.

Did ok on a couple of saves though.

flappyjay

I think punting it long until we get a ball playing keeper is the best option. Punt it long and the press the other team.

Rio5

Came here to ask where is all the haters now, just to find out they are still here

CloneMC16

Came here to ask where is all the haters now, just to find out they are still here
I am a hater. His kicking is awful, but it's better he boots it away than tries to pass it out the back and screw it up.

He actually did some sweeping today. That was good to see. He made a couple good saves, too.

R'hllor

Saying how his passing below par, how he keeps refusing moving from a line in set piece situations aint hating

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
A few high balls around the box I thought he could have come for. His kicking is fecking awful. Dunno how many times a player could look to give him the ball and he's nowhere to be seen.

Did ok on a couple of saves though.
Exactly my thoughts. Especially the bit about high balls.

R'hllor

He is a wuss but nobody can question his shot stopping more often than not but his passing, we are forced to kick it in most scenarios, tonight he had one bomb pass to Varane, placed him into shit position instantly, he never gonna command an area so pointless discussing that.

Litch

Every cross in the box creates pressure given his lack of commanding of the box. The inability to be composed in his kicking whilst under pressure just potentially concedes the ball to the opposition with every kick. This will be his last season he will be our starting GK….

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Was fine today, not perfect but just fine. Build on this, we dont need more Brentford performances this season.

Mmm-Qatarian

There were still visible issues in his game which honestly we aren't going to see resolved but this was on the whole a very good response to a difficult start to the season from De Gea. Made some great saves, generally chose the right option when in possession, and even swept as well as I've ever seen him do it.

Shai-Hulud

He was good today. Couldn't believe my eyes when he came out to sweep. :lol:

But this should be his last year here. We need a better rounded modern GK who transmits confidence and command to the defense. And DDG isn't that. Nor can he stay as a number 2 with his crazy wages.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
12th season here, and he's finally starting to figure out how to leave his 6 yard box. There was a couple of good moments which he came out and cleaned up which he certainly wouldn't have done before.

His long kicking is so poor though, when it used to be very good. How do you get worse at that?

Trequartistry

Not sure how anyone thinks he was anything by absolutely tragic. Almost every launch of his went out of play with his stats showing he got 8/31 passes, that’s a 25% pass completion rate. Failed to claim many crosses, poor choice of passes even though they were accurate and I’m sure he caused the corner which they scored from.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The biggest reason we lost the possession battle was because he cannot pass. Its blindingly obvious how limited he is at making the pass to the full backs or wingers when the press is concentrated centrally. That was probably the only blight in an otherwise excellent performance.

Welbeckham

We should have replaced him years ago. That was a very good performance by his standards, but he’s not active, commanding and brave enough to be a top keeper.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Not sure how anyone thinks he was anything by absolutely tragic. Almost every launch of his went out of play with his stats showing he got 8/31 passes, that’s a 25% pass completion rate. Failed to claim many crosses, poor choice of passes even though they were accurate and I’m sure he caused the corner which they scored from.
In his defence, a lot of those launched balls went straight to our attackers, but they repeatedly misjudged the trajectory and ran underneath the ball.

Born2Lose

Just because you're a fanboy it doesn't make others "haters".

It's a United forum, not a David De Gea one. If you want sycophancy and sentimentality over De Gea playing decently for the first time this season, I'd suggest you find a De Gea forum or more likely the case you'll have to start one yourself.

Suspect it'll be quite a lonely place, and I doubt there'll be any Spaniards signing up.

Gordon Godot

In his defence, a lot of those launched balls went straight to our attackers, but they repeatedly misjudged the trajectory and ran underneath the ball.
Because for most of the match we didnt have any forwards well suited to battling for long balls and holding them up. Which further underlines how unsuited DDG is for possession football.

Sylar

I need to watch their goal again, because it seemed he saved it and pushed it back into a dangerous area. Maybe thats all he could do, hence why id need to see it again.

His save for the near OG was really good. Think thats where hes at his best. But also agree, that he should just punt it rather than trying to play out. We need him moved on, and it should have been this year, but guessing it will now be next season he goes.

He had a decent game.

Longshanks

The only issue with that is it won't really work against a team that sits deep and we don't have a target man to hit, so we will just end up with low possesions stats against teams that put themselves into a more low/mid block and just end up under constant pressure.

We desperately needed to relieve pressure last night by keeping possesion but couldn't because we are incapable of it and one of the main reasons for that is De geas inability to play out from the back, even his long kicking wasn't great last night we could of done with him hitting into the channels behind liverpools line really instead he was just floating balls up there for van dijk and co to collect and recycle putting us back under the cosh for the most part.

We rode our luck and held on to the win in the end but on another day we could easily of ended up with just a point or even lost because we couldn't control the game.

Chip

Terrible hair cut
Please use this forum for discussing actual player performances not transfer rumours, hair styles and other off topic talking points. Discuss those in the Manchester United Forum.

On a serious note, it's obvious that his distribution is not good enough to play it out from the back like EtH wants. But he did have some good saves yesterday.

Chief123

One moment I didn't notice properly in the game was a pretty stunning reflex save with his feet that he made at a crucial time in the 56th minute. He reacted so fast it wasn't even clear that the striker got a shot off so close.

It's at 5:30 in this video:

CloneMC16

One moment I didn't notice properly in the game was a pretty stunning reflex save with his feet that he made at a crucial time in the 56th minute. He reacted so fast it wasn't even clear that the striker got a shot off so close.

It's at 5:30 in this video:

That's the kind of save he's the best in the world at. No keeper saves better with his feet than De Gea does.

Remember the geese

Punched a cross clear and I remember him leaving his box once to sweep up. Made a couple of decent saves. Long kicking was generally poor. An improvement, but still not what we need.

Lyng

He looked better today. It seems having Varane and Martinez in front of him has made him better.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good save and since pre-season he is at least trying to sweep more (though still not enough)

But one suspects that a lot of us deciding to go long pretty much every time De Gea gets the ball is down to us having to compensate for the weaknesses of players like De Gea. If we sign a nominal 2nd choice goalkeeper this summer then I hope they're a hell of a lot better on the ball than Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.