Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mav_9me

How do so many of you keep saying that. Have you never watched either Martin Dubravka or David De Gea play football?
I'll be honest I am basing my optimism off this

And how bad DDG is. : shrugs: what can I say

phelans shorts

So you’re basing your opinion on some out of context, decade old photographs from the Czech league and how bad you perceive and easily top 6/7 keeper in the league to be?

Sounds about right. It’s not even like Dubravka is coming from somewhere unknown, he’s been average for Newcastle.

mav_9me

So you’re basing your opinion on some out of context, decade old photographs from the Czech league and how bad you perceive and easily top 6/7 keeper in the league to be?

Sounds about right. It’s not even like Dubravka is coming from somewhere unknown, he’s been average for Newcastle.
Yeah maybe wishful thinking.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Absolutely brilliant save for the header.. World class on the line..

Varun1

His distribution was so poor! Every ball was going to an Arsenal player.

czemuch

i think not a single time he came in for a cross, also you can see our players are pretty afraid to play balls to him. Ive watched two last matches of Newcastle, and oh my god, when u watch Nick Pope dealing with crosses, and compare him to how de gea behaves in goal, it's sometimes hard to believe you are watching the same sport. At least last matches he is offering something on the line.

Irwin99

Good save in the first half but didn't actually have a lot to do against a team that likes to walk the ball into the net. He's played way better games against Arsenal.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The supposedly 'amazing' saves that he's made the last couple of games have actually been fairly normal saves that you'd consider to be a goalkeeper mistake if they didn't make it, but the one this match actually was a great save. Thought for a moment that it was in.

However twice in the first half he refused to come out and deal with balls that he definitely should have, and they ended up resulting in a corner and (if I remember correctly) a free kick just outside the area. His refusal to claim crosses or sweep just gives oppositions so many more chances than they should get.

Mmm-Qatarian

Great save from Martinelli. Feel as though he might've screwed up a bit on their goal though. It looked as though he came off his line but didn't fully commit, which then left him completely stranded when Saka did slot the equaliser in. (Which isn't to say he was primarily to blame)

izec

Nothing new. Good save, shit on crosses and passing. This wont get much better or change drastically. So yeah, upgrade needed next summer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Standard enough De Gea game, for good and bad. Though he has at least shrugged off his Brentford nightmare as well as you'd hope someone with his experience would.

Longshanks

Couple of good saves, mistake for the goal. Never claimed a cross all afternoon, and the Usual either very short and simple or hoof it and hope distribution.

It was very noticeable in comparison to Ramsdale who started countless Arsenal attacks with good distribution (short and long) and De Gea started nothing, also very noticeable how Ramsdales sweeping behind the defensive line allows Arsenal to push up and compress the space in midifled.

The only question in my eyes is how long ETH puts up with a lead weight in the GK posisition dragging the team down.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The difference between him and Ramsdale was very noticeable. Arsenal were comfortably by-passing our first lines of pressure due to Ramsdale, and hence were progressing the play really well.

I hope to see Dubravka given a chance soon, because De Gea is nowhere near good enough for a team harbouring ambitions of controlling both the offensive and defensive transitions.

The United

Us conceding a lot of ball possession had a lot to do with Dave kicking everything out anywhere and make our % look worse than it should.

RedMistyDevil

Not trying to ruin your optimism, but if they're resorting to images from 2014-2018, then I'd much rather have the version of De Gea from 2014-2018 as well. But, De Gea is no longer that keeper, and Dubravka was recently displaced by Nick Pope at Newcastle.

De Gea's deficiencies are obvious, and I'm not here to defend them. But an in-form De Gea would still win/save us points (see the analysis regarding the first half of 21/22 vs the second half of the season, when his form dropped off). The key for ten Hag this season is to keep De Gea focused and performing the whole season while our scouting department works with ten Hag to identify a good replacement.

mav_9me

Couple of good saves, mistake for the goal. Never claimed a cross all afternoon, and the Usual either very short and simple or hoof it and hope distribution.

It was very noticeable in comparison to Ramsdale who started countless Arsenal attacks with good distribution (short and long) and De Gea started nothing, also very noticeable how Ramsdales sweeping behind the defensive line allows Arsenal to push up and compress the space in midifled.

The only question in my eyes is how long ETH puts up with a lead weight in the GK posisition dragging the team down.
The difference between him and Ramsdale was very noticeable. Arsenal were comfortably by-passing our first lines of pressure due to Ramsdale, and hence were progressing the play really well.

I hope to see Dubravka given a chance soon, because De Gea is nowhere near good enough for a team harbouring ambitions of controlling both the offensive and defensive transitions.
Yep. We couldn't press them at all cuz they would just give it to Ramsdale and he would loft it nicely on to either full back.

Yup. Hard to see us dominating possession against any half decent team that presses high, so long as that continues.
Between the lack of a leading the line no.9 and a blindly hoofing GK, I don't see how we become a possession based team.

I guess this year is all abt trying to get top 4.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Us conceding a lot of ball possession had a lot to do with Dave kicking everything out anywhere and make our % look worse than it should.
Tbf we rarely have ball possession against Arsenal even during the Fergie era. Our plan was always to be physical with them, transition fast and score.

The only time we had so much possession against them was the FA Cup final where we played well, had like 70% of the possession and yet lost the final. Wenger had intentionally parked the bus.

It was one of the biggest injustices in modern-day football.

But that was probably how Gooners feel every time they lose to United. They feel they had played well against us and yet seem to lose the match. Playing well and having possession doesn't always equate to wins. Its not a fashion show.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Didn't notice any crosses that he should have come out for, but it's possible I missed them, stream wasn't great.
Getting negative reviews compared to Ramsdale for passing- if Bruno had slightly better composure, that passing would have directly cost Arsenal a goal. Over 90 minutes, Ramsdale's otherwise accurate passing combined with one catastrophic error, and DDG's useless punts probably cancel out.

I agree he needs to be replaced by next season, but the attitude here seems to be any chump who can play a 30-yard pass will be job done in terms of replacement.

Last edited:

The United

Tbf we rarely have ball possession against Arsenal even during the Fergie era. Our plan was always to be physical with them, transition fast and score.

The only time we had so much possession against them was the FA Cup final where we played well, had like 70% of the possession and yet lost the final. Wenger had intentionally parked the bus.

It was one of the biggest injustices in modern-day football.

But that was probably how Gooners feel every time they lose to United. They feel they had played well against us and yet seem to lose the match. Playing well and having possession doesn't always equate to wins. Its not a fashion show.
I am not sure what you are trying to respond to.

I was just stating that people talked about low possession percentage in general, which might have something to do with Dave not being able to play the ball on the floor most of the time.

In general, keeping the ball is a safer way to play than not keeping it in football games. Not sure what it has anything to do with a fashion show.

Last edited:

JB7

The supposedly 'amazing' saves that he's made the last couple of games have actually been fairly normal saves that you'd consider to be a goalkeeper mistake if they didn't make it, but the one this match actually was a great save. Thought for a moment that it was in.

However twice in the first half he refused to come out and deal with balls that he definitely should have, and they ended up resulting in a corner and (if I remember correctly) a free kick just outside the area. His refusal to claim crosses or sweep just gives oppositions so many more chances than they should get.
I wanted to respond to your first paragraph because it's absolutely correct.

The reality is he's capable of really top class saves, it's literally his only redeeming quality to be fair. That doesn't mean every stop he makes is top class. The free kick at Leicester and the Martinelli header which the commentary teams raved about are stops you would expect any of our 3 senior contracted goalkeepers to make, they are pretty basic stops for a PL level goalkeeper. He has a habit of making certain saves more difficult than they need to be - hence the free kick on Thursday, if you look at his initial position he's too far over hence taking two steps and a hop before Maddison even hits the ball, but that's ok as long as you do stop them.

Thought Arsenal's goal was indicative of a couple of the issues we face with him. Odegaard played the through ball from roughly 35 yards from goal, it is not until the ball is travelling through the D De Gea makes his move forward. He is clearly being coached to be more proactive at times which is no surprise but brings issues when a goalkeeper isn't used to it, such as the delay in moving forward, it's not his natural game so it's not his instinct to come for balls, which is why we get that delay of a split second in him moving out, we saw it multiple times last season too and often by the time he decides to come it's too late. The second is his communication which is not something that can be proven by stats, it's more than issue I have with him having stood behind him week in week out for the best part of a decade; he clearly doesn't shout that he's coming, so Dalot tackles Jesus - why wouldn't he? That's not a ball De Gea ever comes for so he had no reason to expect to see his goalkeeper coming for it, he's got his foot in to stop the initial shot and obviously doesn't expect he's leaving Saka an open goal in making the tackle.

By no means is it a goal I'm blaming the goalkeeper for but it just highlighted a couple of issues that aren't going to go away with De Gea, no matter how well he is coached; If you're going to come in those instances it has to be immediate and it's only immediate if it's instinctive which it never will be and your defenders need to know you are coming.

czemuch

@berbatrick
of course you've missed them, the most obvious example is 29.58', but there were few other situations when nick pope or even dubravka would have come out from the line

Sylar

Standard enough De Gea game, for good and bad. Though he has at least shrugged off his Brentford nightmare as well as you'd hope someone with his experience would.
Yep. Think he will get through this season, and then hopefully we are already looking for a long term replacement for next season (and have started that search)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is hindering us. Hopefully, Dubravka will start the EL match and prove how he can be a better option.

BorisManUtd

His contract expires next summer but I'd trigger that +1 year extension so he doesn't leave as free agent and we earn some money from his sale, though it would be perhaps difficult for any club to pay the fee + huwge wages. I'm still sure we'd be able to get some 20M euros for him though.

Will be odd when De Gea leaves really, he's only player that has been there for more than a decade, every or almost every week in the starting 11 for all those years. We have to replace him, of course, but I'll be sad anyways.

Remember the geese

His contract expires next summer but I'd trigger that +1 year extension so he doesn't leave as free agent
Classic Woodward. I'd cut the cord and let him go. We would really benefit from a more rounded keeper. He's still a good shot stopper, but if we can find someone who can give us a bit of that, with improved distribution, commanding presence and a generally more proactive approach, it would be a nice upgrade. I'd be happy enough with him staying as a number 2 if he took a massive paycut.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Didn't notice any crosses that he should have come out for, but it's possible I missed them, stream wasn't great.
In the first half there was one cross that he definitely should have come out to claim, and one through-ball that he definitely should have come out and cleared. Him not doing so resulted in Arsenal winning a corner and (if I remember correctly) a free kick near the edge of the box. I didn't notice any instances in the second half. At first I wondered if he could have done better with coming out for the goal, but I think that would be very harsh to blame on him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
His contract expires next summer but I'd trigger that +1 year extension so he doesn't leave as free agent and we earn some money from his sale, though it would be perhaps difficult for any club to pay the fee + huwge wages. I'm still sure we'd be able to get some 20M euros for him though.

Will be odd when De Gea leaves really, he's only player that has been there for more than a decade, every or almost every week in the starting 11 for all those years. We have to replace him, of course, but I'll be sad anyways.
Who do you think would buy him? He wouldn't get an offer from an other Premier League club, especially on those wages. He's one of the poorest first choice keepers in the division.

JB7

You are living in cuckoo land if you think any club is paying £20m for him, let alone any club that could then afford (and be completely insane enough) to pay him £375k a week.

Based Adnan

How do people still fail to realize that no other club in world football will take De Gea on 375k/week. We'd have to pay him off to go elsewhere if he's under contract. No top club would rate him to sign him anyway.

Just let him go upon the contract expiring.

Alemar

Hopefully his shot stopping from will be good this season, and he leaves on a high next summer.

He is not a modern goalkeeper, but in the end of the day… he is a longest servant at this club currently, was nearly always available throughout his 11 (or was it 12?) seasons, and it’s not his fault that he was nearly always selected by every manager

BorisManUtd

Who do you think would buy him? He wouldn't get an offer from an other Premier League club, especially on those wages. He's one of the poorest first choice keepers in the division.
I think there are clubs all over Europe's top leagues that would take De Gea. He's not the GK he was 4 or 5 years ago, but still is good GK, with same flaws he always had though. Maybe I'm being too optimistic thinking that someone would pay fee for him + big wages (though perhaps he'd accept less money elsewhere for playing time), but I'm sure there'd be interested clubs in him anyways. He's not become terrible keeper overnight and saves like that from Martinelli's header yesterday prove that.

NewYorkRed

Don’t think this is the match to say Ramsdale was better than him. He dove right for Antony’s shot, and then gifted us what should have been a goal when Ronaldo pressed him and Bruno missed. Dave made a couple decent saves and looked ok with his distribution.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Other than some De Gea's "routine saves", it seems like he's getting better with distribution. Not yet to the level of Allison, but there were some noticable improvement.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yep. We couldn't press them at all cuz they would just give it to Ramsdale and he would loft it nicely on to either full back.
Swap both keepers and we win the game emphatically by controlling both the offensive and defensive transitions.

criticalanalysis

Statue-esque for both Martinelli and Saka's goals. Typical De Gea 'positioning' and 1-vs-1 'technique'.

Good save for the header but I think some may want to look at it again because it wasn't special imo. It would have been poor if he had let it go in as it wasn't point blank and was going across goal rather than downwards/bullet inwards. He made a spectacle of it with that dive. Am I being harsh in that perhaps he could have had better/different technique for it as he slaps it away with his right arm? Good positioning I suppose though by getting across goal speedily.

Last edited:

Based Adnan

I think there are clubs all over Europe's top leagues that would take De Gea. He's not the GK he was 4 or 5 years ago, but still is good GK, with same flaws he always had though. Maybe I'm being too optimistic thinking that someone would pay fee for him + big wages (though perhaps he'd accept less money elsewhere for playing time), but I'm sure there'd be interested clubs in him anyways. He's not become terrible keeper overnight and saves like that from Martinelli's header yesterday prove that.
What clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.