Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olecurls99

I wanted to respond to your first paragraph because it's absolutely correct.

The reality is he's capable of really top class saves, it's literally his only redeeming quality to be fair. That doesn't mean every stop he makes is top class. The free kick at Leicester and the Martinelli header which the commentary teams raved about are stops you would expect any of our 3 senior contracted goalkeepers to make, they are pretty basic stops for a PL level goalkeeper. He has a habit of making certain saves more difficult than they need to be - hence the free kick on Thursday, if you look at his initial position he's too far over hence taking two steps and a hop before Maddison even hits the ball, but that's ok as long as you do stop them.

Thought Arsenal's goal was indicative of a couple of the issues we face with him. Odegaard played the through ball from roughly 35 yards from goal, it is not until the ball is travelling through the D De Gea makes his move forward. He is clearly being coached to be more proactive at times which is no surprise but brings issues when a goalkeeper isn't used to it, such as the delay in moving forward, it's not his natural game so it's not his instinct to come for balls, which is why we get that delay of a split second in him moving out, we saw it multiple times last season too and often by the time he decides to come it's too late. The second is his communication which is not something that can be proven by stats, it's more than issue I have with him having stood behind him week in week out for the best part of a decade; he clearly doesn't shout that he's coming, so Dalot tackles Jesus - why wouldn't he? That's not a ball De Gea ever comes for so he had no reason to expect to see his goalkeeper coming for it, he's got his foot in to stop the initial shot and obviously doesn't expect he's leaving Saka an open goal in making the tackle.

By no means is it a goal I'm blaming the goalkeeper for but it just highlighted a couple of issues that aren't going to go away with De Gea, no matter how well he is coached; If you're going to come in those instances it has to be immediate and it's only immediate if it's instinctive which it never will be and your defenders need to know you are coming.
In hindsight it would have been better in that instance if he stayed on his line.

BorisManUtd

What clubs?
Not top clubs but some solid teams, I believe in that. De Gea hasn't lost all of his ability, though he's not the same GK he was 5 years ago. Even these last few seasons where he hasn't been at required level he still bailed as out at number of occasions.

criticalanalysis

Not top clubs but some solid teams, I believe in that. De Gea hasn't lost all of his ability, though he's not the same GK he was 5 years ago. Even these last few seasons where he hasn't been at required level he still bailed as out at number of occasions.
You still haven't answered the original question to your post though, which clubs could afford his transfer, wages and would actually want him?

Of course he's good enough to play for some top clubs but not as your imagined scenario where we trigger his extension to try to get a fee.

Last edited:

Zetrio2002

4 wins in a row for De Gea!

And it looks like the opposite scenario for Dean Henderson who seems to be heading for relegation again.

Irwin99

Didn't realise he's not far off 500 appearances for the club (493 atm) and he'll probably finish the season in the all time top ten appearances for United. Impressive!

BorisManUtd

You still haven't answered the original question to your post though, which clubs could afford his transfer, wages and would actually want him?

Of course he's good enough to play for some top clubs but not as your imagined scenario where we trigger his extension to try to get a fee.
I too said that would be difficult, but it's possible.

criticalanalysis

I too said that would be difficult, but it's possible.
We're going around in circles here.

Of course it's possible but extremely unlikely and you've still not answered who.

Somebody may offer £10m for Jones and take him off our hands. Said nobody.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He was good against Arsenal. I think the long passes/kicks upfield were instructions, not DeGea going off the reservation. I’m sure DeGea was trying to find a teammate but losing the ball in their half is better than losing it in our own.
I'm sure the long kicks were as instructed. Ditto us going long way more often in every game post Brentford. But the point is that one of the main reasons you'd give those instructions is because of De Gea's weaknesses on the ball.

Playing well while limiting how the rest of the team can play is only so much better than not playing well.

BorisManUtd

We're going around in circles here.

Of course it's possible but extremely unlikely and you've still not answered who.

Somebody may offer £10m for Jones and take him off our hands. Said nobody.
Nobody will offer 10M pounds for Jones. Someone might offer 20M euros for De Gea.

Sylar

With regards to his performances, I think our first goal against Arsenal is a one off in terms of DDG passing the ball out.DDG doesnt look comfy doing that through the game. That one move he passed it out to a defender and it lead to a big team goal. Every other time hes hoofing it out and it restricts what we can do. We wont be great great with ETH style this year due to that big reason from the back (especially as he has the whole perfect view of the pitch but more often than not recently just chooses to (or is instructed to due to limitations) launch it)

Nobody will offer 10M pounds for Jones. Someone might offer 20M euros for De Gea.
Thats a big assumption based on nothing though.
A big big one for the risk of possibly getting 10m but may end up paying even more for that one year (im sure we pay out 20m a year on DDG)

Going through teams who need GKs and who can afford him at current wages, there arent many if any. Hes not very highly sought after either. We would be much better just 'cutting our losses' and letting his contract run out.

Olecurls99

I think he's being overly cautious given what's happened but he'll gradually start finding his defenders again when they're open.

Just don't pass to someone being closed down at the edge of your box is the big no no

Yik

Dave's been an incredible servant for the club but he really is a relic of an older time now. I'm astonished he wasn't upgraded by ETH since having him in the side means we can't play it out from the back, nor play a riskier higher line. Ramsdale was literally hovering around the centre circle any time Arsenal had a corner and though he obviously overplayed it a couple of times, long term he's obviously an asset for Arsenal. We'd honestly probably have had 10% more possession against Arsenal if we had even an adequate ball playing GK. Playing it long when the only real aerial presence we have is Scott is just a hilariously bad strategy but obviously still better than gifting cheap goals.

Based Adnan

If he performs the way he can then we should give him a new contract. The next 10-15 games are gonna be decisive.
We should get rid of him regardless of how he performs (and the last 4 years suggests he's not at a high level anyway) as he's not the right profile of goalkeeper needed in a ETH system

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'm interested to see what happens next season, especially with his contract ending. One would think ETG will eventually want to play his type of football and ultimately that will lead to going away from the DeGea. A ball playing keeper is badly needed if ETG ever want to fully implement his philosophy. Your goal keeper is intrinsic in keeping possession of the ball.

If he performs the way he can then we should give him a new contract. The next 10-15 games are gonna be decisive.
Absolutely not. It's not even about performances with DeGea but fit. He simply doesn't fit with what ETG ultimately want to do. A team won't be able to keep the ball if its goalkeeper keep wasting possession by hoofing or being unable to make accurate passes. Possession based teams need to reset a lot and that start with the keeper and if every time the ball goes to him it means loss of possession then he's not conducive to possession, dominant based football.

It doesn't matter of DeGea makes 10 saves a game, he simply doesn't fit with what we all know ETG want to do.

Longshanks

Absolutely not.

We will never be able to truly control and dominate teams with de gea in nets and never have in ten years with de gea as no1.

We have also neve been able to defend any higher than the edge of our own penalty are with de gea in nets.

Issues that have plighted us since the last few year of SAF's reign and one of the main reasons we have fallen so far behind the top clubs.

The sooner we replace de gea with a GK comfortable playing out, comfortable commanding his box, comfortable organising his defence, comfortable sweeping behind a high line. The better our chances are off becoming a top side are.

NewYorkRed

I'm genuinely intrigued why you think any club would pay 20m for De Gea?
Of course someone would. Were you one of the people who said there was no way ETH would start him? Don’t remember but there were tons who said there was NO WAY he would pick DDG and here we are…

Remember the geese

Of course someone would. Were you one of the people who said there was no way ETH would start him? Don’t remember but there were tons who said there was NO WAY he would pick DDG and here we are…
You can't solve everything in one window. Unfortunately De Gea has survived for now, but he won't be here much longer. If he is, then ten Hag will fail. Simple as that really.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's easy to pick him when there is no real competition.
De Geas contract is up in the summer. Nobody is paying high money for a goalkeeper with his wages but with his weaknesses.

JB7

Why would they? Specifically, who would? He's on a completely insane wage and has less than 12 months left on his contract. So please tell me who is spending £20m on a goalkeeper that they could sign for free in less than a year? Which of the clubs that could afford to pay him £350k a week would sign him on a free, let alone for £20m?

I didn't say ETH wouldn't start him though I do think he would prefer another goalkeeper, as shown by the interest shown in Sommer and Trapp who would likely have taken his position pretty quickly and the fact that it took less than a month for ETH to completely adapt his way of playing out from the back because of De Gea.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We had so many different positions that needed strengthening that there was always a fair chance that DDG would get one season before the change was made.

If his wages weren't an issue then of course we'd be able to get a decent fee. But DDG is, by a very long way, the highest paid goalkeeper in the world. There are only about 5 keepers who are on even 50% of what he is. That by itself massively limits what clubs would be interested in him, and meanwhile he's been downright poor for the majority of the last four seasons. Unless Newcastle wanted to make a statement signing of someone who is a big name, nobody else who can pay even close to what we pay him will be remotely interested.

Last edited:

NewYorkRed

Why would they? Specifically, who would? He's on a completely insane wage and has less than 12 months left on his contract. So please tell me who is spending £20m on a goalkeeper that they could sign for free in less than a year? Which of the clubs that could afford to pay him £350k a week would sign him on a free, let alone for £20m?

I didn't say ETH wouldn't start him though I do think he would prefer another goalkeeper, as shown by the interest shown in Sommer and Trapp who would likely have taken his position pretty quickly and the fact that it took less than a month for ETH to completely adapt his way of playing out from the back because of De Gea.
Alright I’ll hold my hand up and admit I didn’t know he was on the last year of his contract.
I do think though that he will end his career here. Everyone is convinced ETH will get rid but I don’t see it happening. His form was horrific first two games but he is still an elite shot stopper. He was better coming out/with the ball with LVG and I think he’ll get better now too. Obviously not to the level of the elite goalies with their feet but to a level that is acceptable. His shotstopping ability is immense.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Alright I’ll hold my hand up and admit I didn’t know he was on the last year of his contract.
I do think though that he will end his career here. Everyone is convinced ETH will get rid but I don’t see it happening. His form was horrific first two games but he is still an elite shot stopper. He was better coming out/with the ball with LVG and I think he’ll get better now too. Obviously not to the level of the elite goalies with their feet but to a level that is acceptable. His shotstopping ability is immense.
It used to be. He was arguably the best pure shot-stopper I've ever seen. Many of us felt that his incredible shot-stopping more than made up for how weak he was at most other aspects (including myself at the time although now I'm not so sure).

But his shop-stopping isn't even close to being immense anymore. Other than the first half of last season when he did have a resurgence, the remainder of the last four seasons his shot-stopping has been completely average. Most of the saves that the commentators make a big deal about these days are ones that most keepers would make, and that would be considered an outright mistake if a goalkeeper did concede it. He'll still pull out the occasional save that actually is amazing, but for every one of them he will also concede one bad goal that he messed up what should have been quite an easy save (such as the first goal against Brentford where he let the ball squirm straight through him). He also has a bad tendency to make those mistakes in big games, which played a huge part in knocking us out of numerous competitions over the years.

largelyworried

I mentioned this in another thread (hopefully not to you, apologies for saying it twice if it was) but LVG was a different era. Pressing wasn't a thing in this league back then. Nowadays even mid-table teams do it, not just the big teams. The days of our centre backs and goalie being given all the time in the world by everyone to pass it between themselves are long gone.

Olecurls99

Why should we give him a new contract? He massively hinders our game.
That would be insane.
We should get rid of him regardless of how he performs (and the last 4 years suggests he's not at a high level anyway) as he's not the right profile of goalkeeper needed in a ETH system
I'm interested to see what happens next season, especially with his contract ending. One would think ETG will eventually want to play his type of football and ultimately that will lead to going away from the DeGea. A ball playing keeper is badly needed if ETG ever want to fully implement his philosophy. Your goal keeper is intrinsic in keeping possession of the ball.

Absolutely not. It's not even about performances with DeGea but fit. He simply doesn't fit with what ETG ultimately want to do. A team won't be able to keep the ball if its goalkeeper keep wasting possession by hoofing or being unable to make accurate passes. Possession based teams need to reset a lot and that start with the keeper and if every time the ball goes to him it means loss of possession then he's not conducive to possession, dominant based football.

It doesn't matter of DeGea makes 10 saves a game, he simply doesn't fit with what we all know ETG want to do.
Absolutely not.

We will never be able to truly control and dominate teams with de gea in nets and never have in ten years with de gea as no1.

We have also neve been able to defend any higher than the edge of our own penalty are with de gea in nets.

Issues that have plighted us since the last few year of SAF's reign and one of the main reasons we have fallen so far behind the top clubs.

The sooner we replace de gea with a GK comfortable playing out, comfortable commanding his box, comfortable organising his defence, comfortable sweeping behind a high line. The better our chances are off becoming a top side are.
There's plenty of keepers at top clubs that don't have Juninho type skills. Courtois and Allison spring to mind.

I think De Gea is more than capable to play the simple passes if there are options available. He can also lump it if there's a concerted press. Winning a 50/50 in the middle of the park is no bad thing if the opposition has already forfeited 3 or 4 players.

Let's see how he goes in the next 10-15 games before we make up our minds.

He started poorly but he'll gradually get used to what EtH wants and was involved in the build up for the 1st goal against Arse. And if he does then we can give him a new contract. Hooray
Jesus christ
I'm not actually but you're not the first to make that mistake.

Remember the geese

There's plenty of keepers at top clubs that don't have Juninho type skills. Courtois and Allison spring to mind.
It isn't just about ball playing. It's everything else as well. Look at how commanding Courtois and Allison are. They dominate their box. Look at how often Allison is seen charging outside his area to sweep up lose balls. De Gea offers none of this.

Longshanks

I think De Gea is more than capable to play the simple passes if there are options available. He can also lump it if there's a concerted press. Winning a 50/50 in the middle of the park is no bad thing if the opposition has already forfeited 3 or 4 players.

Let's see how he goes in the next 10-15 games before we make up our minds.

He started poorly but he'll gradually get used to what EtH wants and was involved in the build up for the 1st goal against Arse. And if he does then we can give him a new contract. Hooray

I'm not actually but you're not the first to make that mistake.
Courtouis is very commanding and a comfortable sweeper.
Allison is probably the best GK in the world at playing behind a high line and is also very commanding.

Both are more comfortable, confident and considerably better with the ball at there feet aswell, even if there not Juninhio.

Comparing de gea to either of them is frankly like comparing Apples and Oranges.

largelyworried

What an incredible comment. They are both absolutely first class with their feet compared to De Gea, light years ahead.

Olecurls99

What an incredible comment. They are both absolutely first class with their feet compared to De Gea, light years ahead.
I've seen Alisson caught out for plenty of goals with the ball at his feet. He's quite cumbersome but Liverpool persist with it.

Let's see how Dave goes

largelyworried

I've seen Alisson caught out for plenty of goals with the ball at his feet. He's quite cumbersome but Liverpool persist with it.
He's literally one of the best in the world at it. I'm sure he's made a fair few mistakes over the years, who hasn't, but honestly, if you can't even tell the difference between Allison and De Gea when it comes to using their feet, you should probably just stay out of the conversation.

Olecurls99

He's literally one of the best in the world at it. I'm sure he's made a fair few mistakes over the years, who hasn't, but honestly, if you can't even tell the difference between Allison and De Gea when it comes to using their feet, you should probably just stay out of the conversation.
Nah his skill level is quite basic. Good for a goalie but nothing special at all. I'll stay thank you very much.

De Gea was involved in the build up to the 1st goal on Sunday so he's not that bad either. I've seen him ping balls to full backs on the sideline too.

Status
Not open for further replies.